Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 732 Words
  • 1,071 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aditus' prompts and circumstances - 12. Lonely Heart Club - Prompt 367

367 - Tag – The Opposite
You have always date the same type of person and while not exactly successful with it, you never seen a reason to change. Of course that all changed when you met them. Talk about a total opposite. What about this person so attracts you, compared to the others you used to date?

Martin smiled when he saw Jessa skipping down the small stage, her red dress quickly disappearing between the tables. It was ten o’clock, her shift was over and she couldn’t get out fast enough. Usually he had the early shift from eight to ten on a Tuesday, but it was Valentine’s Day and Jessa had a hot date, so they’d swapped shifts.

After a short bow he sat down behind the baby grand, and smiled as he perused his audience. The bar was busier then he’d expected and it was only partly the usual crowd. This wasn’t a place lovers took their dates to celebrate their day, but a place where men and women drowned their loneliness in booze. They didn’t want to be at their empty homes today. They also came because of him; they expected him to cheer them up or at least understand them.

Martin would have liked talking to the patrons directly, taking their requests, listening to short stories or events that lead them to requesting the songs, especially on days like these. Since a tipsy woman sprained her ankle climbing the stairs to the stage on high heels though, the patrons had to write their song requests on small slips of paper the barkeeper had ready for them and then one of the waiters would bring them over to him.

He took a small sip from his glass of red wine, and then browsed through the requested songs Anna had brought over on a small silver tray. It was as he had expected: older songs telling of better days, songs about loneliness and heartbreak, only a few of hope for finding love.

Martin closed his eyes and then sang ‘New York State of Mind’. He always started with the song. Then he blended into ‘There You’ll Be’. He blindly picked this one.

Contrary to most of tonight’s patrons, the piano player wasn’t lonely. As a matter of fact, Martin didn’t expect to go home alone tonight. He was a man who enjoyed the perks of his single life. There was always someone who wanted to go with the piano man, he grinned to himself. The shorter dark-haired man sitting at the bar, for example, was exactly his type. He liked his guys slim, with longish hair, tanned skin, dark soulful eyes, and a tight butt in a designer suit.

Martin even knew the guy’s name: Frank. Or was it Rick? Well, it didn’t matter; the guy’s tentative smile looked promising enough. They’d hooked up once or twice before. Frank/Rick came here almost every day after work.

The piano player signaled Craig the bartender, who promptly invited Frank/Rick to his next whatever-he was-drinking in Martin’s name. It was a well-rehearsed move between the two of them. They had done this several times as Martin couldn’t very well go over and invite his beau of the night to a drink in the middle of his performance.

Usually Frank/Rick was here as part of a much larger group. On an evening like this the others probably had better things to do. Martin immediately remembered the tall lanky blond, with the pale skin and icy blue eyes, who was absolutely not Martin’s type. Martin shook his head. Why did he remember that one? He even had involuntarily looked for him when he noticed Frank/Rick sitting down at the bar.

Martin should really stop calling the guy Frank/Rick, but for the life of him, he couldn’t remember which of those his name was.

He knew the blond’s name though. Roman. And he wasn’t good with names. Must be because this was such a contradiction: those Nordic looks and then the name Roman. Yes, that must be it.

Martin had finished ‘Waltz No. 1’ when Anna came again, carrying a tray with one lonely slip of paper on it.

She winked at him before she placed it beside his sheet music. Curious, Martin took it in his hand and read ‘Piano Man’ by Billy Joel. Surprised, he looked up. Who had requested a song that was about him? On days like these, that was exactly how he felt. Like Billy Joel’s ‘Piano Man’, who was there for the people who were alone, giving them something to help them go on. Who understood him like that?

And then he saw him. Tall, blond, icy blue eyes, lifting his glass at him. Roman.

I really don't know why I had Valentine's Day on my mind and I thought about changing the special day, but then I thought what the heck. So, there: Valentine's Day in November.
©Copyright 2013 Aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hey, it's never too early for Valentine's Day, right? :P

 

I LOVED this prompt, Addy!!! I'd love to read more about Martin and Roman. :)

Link to comment

Hmmm, poor Frank/Rich getting his hopes up, only to be outmaneuvered by Roman. Oh, well Martin probably needs someone like that (why am I reminded of Ren, lol).

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I want to read more about these guys. :) Great job, Addy. I loved it!

Link to comment
On 11/04/2014 05:31 AM, Lisa said:
Hey, it's never too early for Valentine's Day, right? :P

 

I LOVED this prompt, Addy!!! I'd love to read more about Martin and Roman. :)

Thank you Lisa! More...hmm let's see what prompts we'll get.
Link to comment
On 11/04/2014 08:12 AM, Timothy M. said:
Hmmm, poor Frank/Rich getting his hopes up, only to be outmaneuvered by Roman. Oh, well Martin probably needs someone like that (why am I reminded of Ren, lol).
ha! Bad! I'm not always thinking of Ren! I am not!

Thank you, Tim! :)

Link to comment
On 11/04/2014 10:35 AM, Valkyrie said:
I want to read more about these guys. :) Great job, Addy. I loved it!
Thank you Val! :) I might continue this if the right prompt comes up.
Link to comment

Nice change of pace. Valentine's Day in November, who cares. I liked it, but really curious about Roman now. lol

Link to comment
On 11/06/2014 07:54 PM, Slytherin said:
Great start, I want to know more about these three guys :) very nice prompt :)
Thank you! If there is the right prompt and I have the time and inspiration... :)
Link to comment
On 11/06/2014 10:51 AM, comicfan said:
Nice change of pace. Valentine's Day in November, who cares. I liked it, but really curious about Roman now. lol
Thank you Wayne! That's what I thought and if the prompt guru brings the right prompts, who knows we might hear more about Roman. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..