Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 740 Words
  • 1,214 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aditus' prompts and circumstances - 4. Fall a brief interlude of Four Perspectives

Prompt 264: It is the beginning of fall and the temperatures are beginning to change, the leaves are changing color, and the moods of people are changing as well. Create a story centered around the idea of change – whether it is physical, mental, or maybe even a change of location.
This is a brief interlude between Book 1 and 2 of Four Perspectives
It can be read alone.

Fall

Sam shut down the computer, leaned back in his well-worn leather chair and looked around his new study. Only the furniture was the same, everything else had changed. Instead of plain, white painted concrete and a grey carpet, there was whitewashed wood paneling, exposed wooden ceiling beams and a beautiful oak floor. The best of all, though, was the view. Through large French doors he could now watch leaves moving softly with the wind, and when he squinted his eyes, he could even see the surface of the lake glistening in the sun behind low-hanging branches.

Shoving his chair away from the desk, he grabbed his mug of ginger tea and a cookie, and walked over to open the door. Leaning with his shoulder against the frame, he breathed in the clean, crisp air of the early fall afternoon and a deep satisfaction flew through him. While he bit into the cookie he thought of how he had always wanted to live a little more outside the city, but Mark had insisted he couldn't live in the boondocks with nothing but trees and the chirping of birds. He'd need the humming of traffic with the occasional honking of car horns and his favorite coffee shop around the corner.

Thinking of Mark still caused him a tinge of pain and regret. He hadn't seen him since the day Sam had headed out of the door for his business trip and then come home to a half-empty house with Mark gone from his life. Everything they had done afterwards, selling the house, exchanging the very few things Mark had missed taking with him, they had done through Mark's attorney.

The good thing was that with the money from the sale Sam was able to afford this small house by the lake, along with something else he'd always wanted. As on cue, a cold nose pushed against his hand and when he looked down into the hazel-colored eyes of Merlin, his Collie-German Shepherd mix he'd got from the dog shelter, he knew that his life really was about changing for the better.

Sam went back to get another cookie from the plate on his desk.

Hmm...white chocolate with cranberries.

Paul had brought them the other day when they talked about his new business idea, Quick & Tasty, and Sam had agreed to write the program for it. Paul had called it bribery and he had been right; what wouldn't Sam do for another bag of those! He grinned and then shook his head at how fast Paul had caught on about his sweet tooth. He figured it out right at the beginning at that reception months ago.

Sam went out to the porch and sat down in one of his deck chairs. He sought out the one leaf that had caught his eye some days ago, with its bright yellow it had stood out among its green brothers like a flashing beacon, while he thought about how much Paul had become a dear friend in the past months.

Paul had called Sam a few weeks after they had first met, and asked him to help him with a business idea he had. Sam had immediately remembered the waiter with the amazing blue-green eyes who had served him those amazing cookies. They had started to talk and had just clicked. He learned that Paul was actually a cook and owned a catering service with his sister Maya.

One evening, when he might have had one or two beers too many, he'd told Paul about Mark and how it had hurt that Mark hadn't even wanted to talk to him on the phone after he'd moved out. Paul had said that beside Mark's undoubted cowardice, it was probably his guilty conscience that had made him behave like that.

Even if that wasn't a good excuse, at least it was an explanation Sam could live with and he had to thank Paul for that, along with helping him move and in general, cheering him up countless of times in the past weeks.

While he listened to the car coming up his driveway, a gust of wind from the lake tugged at the yellow leaf, made it twirl around its stem a few times before it was finally lifted in the air where it danced around a bit before it disappeared behind the trees.

Maybe it really was time for some more change.

Prompt 264: It is the beginning of fall and the temperatures are beginning to change, the leaves are changing color, and the moods of people are changing as well. Create a story centered around the idea of change – whether it is physical, mental, or maybe even a change of location.
©Copyright 2013 Aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Saw your post called 'fall' and wondered if it was your gravitational problem? However on reading it, I found no problems at all! Nifty little story!

Link to comment

I was so happy to read a "sequel" to this little story! I'm glad Sam is turning his life around! He deserves to be happy.

 

As for Mark - good riddance to bad garbage. lol

 

I hope Paul can make Sam happy. =)

Link to comment
On 10/01/2013 12:52 AM, Daddydavek said:
Saw your post called 'fall' and wondered if it was your gravitational problem? However on reading it, I found no problems at all! Nifty little story!
No problem at all, eh? That's good. I'm glad you liked it. Thank you for your comment! :)
Link to comment
On 10/01/2013 02:01 AM, Lisa said:
I was so happy to read a "sequel" to this little story! I'm glad Sam is turning his life around! He deserves to be happy.

 

As for Mark - good riddance to bad garbage. lol

 

I hope Paul can make Sam happy. =)

I actually plan to add a little piece to Sam's story every now and then. I'm glad you liked it. And again, thanks for helping me out. :)
Link to comment
On 10/01/2013 02:45 AM, carringtonrj said:
Neatly done piece, captures the melancholy with economy - no fuss, no exaggeration. You write with subtlety and skill.
Aww, I love your comments carrington! They are so encouraging and motivating; I feel like writing another part right in this minute. Thank you so much!
Link to comment
On 03/23/2014 04:52 PM, Suvitar said:
Nice to find another little story about Sam´s life and thoughts :*)
When I read Wayne's prompt theme, the pictures for this story came out of nowhere. I think fall is Sam's season. Thank you for taking the time and commenting on all my little stories Suvitar. You made my Sunday. :)
Link to comment

Good thing you started a forum thread because I missed this originally. Carringtonrj states the facts very well. I can't disagree. I feel it also adds to the larger story, it's not just a little something extra, it's an important moment.

Link to comment
On 06/14/2014 05:05 AM, Ron said:
Good thing you started a forum thread because I missed this originally. Carringtonrj states the facts very well. I can't disagree. I feel it also adds to the larger story, it's not just a little something extra, it's an important moment.
Ha, thank you Ron. Yeah I have to admit I unintentional hid this little piece. I'm glad you found it, and yes it is important, their relationship develops to more and it can be seen here. :)
Link to comment

I didn't notice this prompt when it came out - very strange ! It's very nice to read more of "Sam and Paul" :D:hug: Nice Little story

Link to comment
On 06/14/2014 09:34 PM, Slytherin said:
I didn't notice this prompt when it came out - very strange ! It's very nice to read more of "Sam and Paul" :D:hug: Nice Little story
Thank you Sly! Glad you like it. Yep kinda hid this one, but it got featured. Maybe I should have put it into the series, book 1 1/2 or something. :)
Link to comment

Beautifully done ... I need to find the earlier bit ... not sure I'd have said melancholy, maybe, a bit ... rather more encouraging, adapting ... changing ... certainly acting for oneself. Nice.

Link to comment
On 10/03/2014 01:37 AM, dughlas said:
Beautifully done ... I need to find the earlier bit ... not sure I'd have said melancholy, maybe, a bit ... rather more encouraging, adapting ... changing ... certainly acting for oneself. Nice.
It's part of my series'Four Perspectives'. Four anthology stories tell an ongoing story from the perspective of four different people. Well, that sounds more complicated then it is. LOL Thank you for telling me your thoughts, now I know I did something right. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..