Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 607 Words
  • 1,842 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aditus' prompts and circumstances - 34. Elephant In the Room

Elephant in the Room

“You look like shit. AGAIN.” Dean didn’t need to look to know who had parked their butt on his desk, effectively crumpling the open Miller files.

“Good morning to you too, Anni!” Seeing her sitting on their most important client’s documents, he immediately pushed at his colleague slash best friend. “Lift your behind, would you?” Anni scoffed before she placed an extra-large latte beside the keyboard. “Hard night?”

Anni rolled her eyes and finally leaned back so Dean could pull the papers out from under her. He immediately tried to flatten the worst creases with his flat hand. “You will explain this to the boss woman.”

“I wish.” Dean leaned back into the chair, and rubbed his eyes until his reading glasses sat askew on his nose and constricted his breathing.

“What is up with you? You look as if you haven’t gotten much sleep since Monday.”

Dean stared at the steam billowing over the coffee, quickly hiding a massive yawn behind his hand.

“Dean?” When he still hadn’t said one word she asked, “Is something going on with your mother?”

“What? No.”

“Did you visit with her on Sunday?”

“Yeah.”

“Does the new routine we talked about a few months ago help her?”

“Yes, I bought a bright colored bowl and placed it on the table beside the door as you suggested. She mostly remembers to put her keys and wallet into it when she comes home now from walking the dog. This is why she doesn’t have to search the whole place for them when she goes out again. The neighbors agreed to keep spare keys in case she forgot to take hers.

My brother hired a cleaning lady, but Mom didn’t like her. She even accused her of stealing, so my sister in law goes over there once a week now.”

“Did you talk with her doctor?”

“It isn’t Alzheimer’s as we thought.”

“Oh?”

“After my father passed away six years ago, our mother managed to do to herself what she feared the most since her own mother suffered from Alzheimer’s. Mom simply drank her brain away, which has the same effect as the illness. I can’t believe Mason and I feel never noticed my mother’s drinking habit.”

“Is that why you sleep so badly?”

“No, it has nothing to do with that I’m just having the same fucking dream every night which drives me crazy : I’m in my mother’s kitchen and look out the window. She stands beside me and together we watch an elephant herd milling about in her backyard. Eventually she tells all their names and points out her ‘favorite girl’, Clarissa, and asks me to play with her, so I go out and lift up the elephant as if it weighed nothing. Mom claps her hands in glee, so I put it on the tip of my finger, cock my hip, and swirl my hand around until Clarissa starts to spin. I’m so glad I can finally make Mom happy again until the elephant begins tumbling down, and buries me under its huge body. I always wake up at four am gasping for air, tangled in my sheets with my head under the pillow. I can never get back to sleep after that which is why I end up cleaning the apartment, doing laundry, or sorting my books alphabetically.”

“Do you want me trying to read that dream for you?”

Dean vehemently shook his head. “No thank you!”

“I have another idea. How about you sleep at my place tonight? My apartment totally needs a thorough cleaning and I have tons of laundry.”

I'd like to thank Val and Cole for inviting me to their monthly prompt party.
A special 'thank you' to Val for helping with my piece. *hug*
Don't forget to look for their pieces!
©Copyright 2013 Aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh!!!  I love the use of the dream here.  The elephants are his worries for his mother.  It's a fascinating idea, and well done in just a few lines.  

 

Great job!!!!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I'm so happy you've joined us for our monthly prompts :D I loved the use of the picture in the dream.  As someone who is prone to strange dreams, I can relate.  Welcome back, my dear friend.  :hug: :kiss: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Wait... Adi, posting again... huzzah!  Also...  not getting enough sleep.  That’s me.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Hmm... Caring for a loved one and feeling like you're failing. That could totally be like juggling an elephant. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I understood the worry for his mother. This was clever, Adi, and so typical of a dream when something is weighing heavily... great to have you back and posting. Well done. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 6/1/2018 at 8:36 PM, Cole Matthews said:

Oh!!!  I love the use of the dream here.  The elephants are his worries for his mother.  It's a fascinating idea, and well done in just a few lines.  

 

Great job!!!!

Thank you, Cole! Especially for inviting me in.!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 6/1/2018 at 10:08 PM, Valkyrie said:

I'm so happy you've joined us for our monthly prompts :D I loved the use of the picture in the dream.  As someone who is prone to strange dreams, I can relate.  Welcome back, my dear friend.  :hug: :kiss: 

Thank you for having me. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 6/2/2018 at 12:53 AM, Puppilull said:

Hmm... Caring for a loved one and feeling like you're failing. That could totally be like juggling an elephant. 

Thank you for the comment, Puppi! It's good to be back.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 6/2/2018 at 5:41 AM, Headstall said:

I understood the worry for his mother. This was clever, Adi, and so typical of a dream when something is weighing heavily... great to have you back and posting. Well done. Cheers... Gary....

Thank you, Gary!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

My mother had stopped driving on her own decades before her memory started going bad. Unlike me, she didn’t really like driving. Besides, she always kept her keys and wallet in her purse.

 

I started hanging my keys on the deadbolt lock because unlocking the door is necessary to leave the apartment. That keeps me from locking myself out of my apartment. My best friend has a full set of my keys, but he lives across the Bay in San Francisco.  ;–)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..