Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,071 Words
  • 1,790 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warning. Chapter 1 contains sexual acts between minors

Biscotti - 26. Chapter 26

Passing a few years, Brad’s football team was doing well. He was enjoying the game as well as the fame. He did a few talk shows always saying good night to Angelina and me. I finished my master's and doctorate and was now teaching at the university. One of the professors was retiring and was selling his house. It was on the edge of the university which meant I could walk to class.

We did buy Dad a small farm close to Brad’s dad.

When everything seems to go very well, the fates throw you a curve. Nonna was diagnosed with cancer. I knew there was one thing I had to do. I took off three weeks, told Mom to make sure Nonna and Pa had passports, I’m going to fly them to the village before anything else happens. I told her what she needed to do and where she could get them essentially overnight.

I told Brad, he arranged a family emergency leave, as it turned out the timing was perfect. The Bengals had no games scheduled, I had my TAs, who were working on their master's degrees, take over my classes. I laid out my syllabus for the time I would be gone. Mom called and said they couldn’t issue the passports it would take 2 weeks. I told her to get the doctor to give her a letter stating Nonna’s condition. Two days later she called back, I made flight arrangements for the four of us and Angelina. Mom called and said she wanted to go and Dad said it was okay. So I called and added one more to my reservation.

Brad and I laughed as Mom told us about taking them shopping. It seems Pa was going to try and recover his youth and wanted Nonna to dress like she did when they were young.

With everything packed, Dad drove us to the airport. I checked the luggage through to Venice. No one was as excited as Angelina. I told Brad we’ll have to come back each year so Angelina won’t miss her friends. I called Eva before we left to tell her we were coming. I had to hear about the car. I wanted them to meet us in Venice, I didn’t think Nonna would be up to the bus rides.

14 hours after leaving home we were landing in Venice. Nonna and Pa slept part of the way. I asked Nonna what part of the meal she liked best, ice cream.

Going through customs was interesting, Pa had to tell everyone he was born here and is visiting from America. Getting our luggage we headed for the exits. I saw Pietro and waved. He came to help with our luggage and I took the opportunity to introduce him. Pa looked at him, “I think I knew your grandfather. What’s your last name?” And that started the conversation, all the way to the village.

Arriving at the village we were met by Maria, Eva, and Grandmother. Maria had coffee, cheese, and bread for us. She also had wine for those who wanted it. Over the next several hours, Maria and Eva told about our first trip.

After a couple of hours, I told Maria I thought my Nonna and Nono were tired and would like to rest. She showed me their room, it had twin beds. I chuckled to myself, there goers Pa’s amatory adventure. I took their suitcases to their room, then told Nonna if she would like to retire, I’ll help her to her room. She took my arm and squeezed it, I knew she was tired. I helped her up the steps, Mom followed to help her get ready for bed.

Pa finished his glass of wine and was ready to follow. He whispered to me as I help him, “My wine is better.”

I showed Mom the other room but she said she was going to sleep in Angelina’s old room at Grandmothers. That meant Brad and I had the double bed.

By morning everyone was well-rested, and then Nonna held court, or so it seemed. The neighbors came, introduced themselves. Then it was, ‘Your grandmother married so and so. Or I think my grandfather was married to one of your great, great aunts, and so it went.’

That evening was a different story. Mom and Nonna went to visit Eva. I’m sure the photo album came out. Pa stayed at Maria’s and got to reminiscing about old times. I noticed it was always started with what happened to so and so and then the stories involving that person. I just sat and listened while Angelina occupied Brad’s time.

On the following days, the women met and chatted, the men met in the evening, and Brad? He played football with the kids, boys and girls, when he wasn’t giving horsy rides. I noticed Mom and Eva were developing a friendship.

Towards the end of our week, Nonna and Pa were ready to go home. I think Nonna had seen what she wanted to see and was getting tired. So on the following Monday, Pietro took us back to Venice for our long flight home.

Arriving home, we were met by the Dads. Mom went with Nonna and Pa, Brad, Angelina and I went with Dad to Brad’s house. The next day we went to stay at my home with Dad.

By the end of the week, everything had returned to normal. We were back at our home, I was back teaching and Brad was back at football practice. Angelina was with Mom learning English. Brad would pick her up on Friday night and take her back on Monday morning.

I noticed Angelina’s English was getting to the point where she would be attending school starting this fall.

Summer break was coming up. I thought we could stay home and enjoy the family. Nonna’s cancer was getting worse, the doctor wanted her to go to the hospital for treatment. While she was there, she suffered a heart attack and within a few days she passed away. Pa was devastated and I knew he wouldn’t be around much longer. I was right, 2 years later he passed away in his sleep. My Uncle Gene took over their house and Sundays also seemed to pass. But they will always be remembered, every time I look at my ring, I see Pa’s face.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 9
  • Sad 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A sad chapter, but we are all going to get to the end of our lives sooner or later, this feels like the end of another story, which I have really enjoyed reading, 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Nonna and Pa were able to give the gift of closure to themselves and their extended families through the wonderful gift of travel. The kindest gift is seeing the unspoken need and making it reality. ❤️ 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Sad... I remember when mum was alive and we used to head back to visit the family up north. It was always photo albums or cine film shows of the films Granddad had taken of us when we were little. I still wonder what happened to them. When mum died it all changed and we ended up right up north and none of the relatives ever visited. Shame they couldn't pay back the same as we used to do every month to them. 

Falling in love with that guy called Brad, but so far Scottie is winning hands down... Always had a weak spot for the academic type.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, mikedup said:

A sad chapter, but we are all going to get to the end of our lives sooner or later, this feels like the end of another story, which I have really enjoyed reading, 

we are getting there  But I have another in the wings 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Nonna and Pa were able to give the gift of closure to themselves and their extended families through the wonderful gift of travel. The kindest gift is seeing the unspoken need and making it reality. ❤️ 

You are so right. I think I would like to have you as a neighbor.  In fact I wouldn't mind any oif my readers being my neighbor.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Kev said:

Sad... I remember when mum was alive and we used to head back to visit the family up north. It was always photo albums or cine film shows of the films Granddad had taken of us when we were little. I still wonder what happened to them. When mum died it all changed and we ended up right up north and none of the relatives ever visited. Shame they couldn't pay back the same as we used to do every month to them. 

Falling in love with that guy called Brad, but so far Scottie is winning hands down... Always had a weak spot for the academic type.

I wouldn't call it a weak spot. Academia has it's pluses. Families are strange I bet if you asked any of them why they stay away or don'ts invite you, they won't be able to answer. Probably ashamed you had to ask. 

Cheer up, count me as a friend. If I lived near you I would be visiting. You'll become tired of me 😀 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, CLJobe said:

I wouldn't call it a weak spot. Academia has it's pluses. Families are strange I bet if you asked any of them why they stay away or don'ts invite you, they won't be able to answer. Probably ashamed you had to ask. 

Cheer up, count me as a friend. If I lived near you I would be visiting. You'll become tired of me 😀 

Never tire... a friend is a precious thing and one to be treasured.:thankyou:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, Kev said:

Never tire... a friend is a precious thing and one to be treasured.:thankyou:

I agree. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

That was great thinking by Scott to make sure Nonna and Pa visits the village one last time before it's too late

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, weinerdog said:

That was great thinking by Scott to make sure Nonna and Pa visits the village one last time before it's too late

Nonna and Pa are very important to Scott. There was no hesitancy on Scott's decision. he knew that they needed one last time in the village of their birth.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

A sad but beautiful chapter.

Thank you, Chris

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..