Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,471 Words
  • 1,840 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warning. Chapter 1 contains sexual acts between minors

Biscotti - 9. Chapter 9

“This is my room.” I opened the door. I watched Brad as he entered. My room has two windows, and the rest of the walls from floor to ceiling are covered in bookcases filled with books. I even had a few stacked on the floor.

He looked at me. “I think you have more books than the library at school.”

“That isn’t true… probably more than a normal kid’s room.”

“Have you read all of these books?”

“Yes, except those on the desk. I’m reading those now. Since you came into my life, it’s taking me a little longer.”

“Dad, can you come up here for a moment?”

“He’s going to think I’m a nerd.”

“No, he won’t - he already talks about you being his second son.”

“Where are you, Brad?”

Brad opened the door. “In here.”

I watched Dad’s eyes as he took in the room. He even looked at some of the titles. “Dad, can you believe this? The only books he hasn’t read are those on his desk.”

He looked at me. “This is the same boy who watches the stars.”

“I don’t play sports. I’m too small and thin. In most of the sports we play at school, I’d get killed. So, I turn to books. My scholarship has to be based on knowledge.”

He just looked at Brad and me. “I think we better leave, or Mom will get worried. We’ll see you on Saturday.”

As his Dad left, we sneaked a kiss. Walking downstairs, I reminded Brad, “Don’t forget lunch tomorrow.”

As Brad and Dad backed out, Dad pulled in. They waved at each other.

“Mom, Dad is here.”

“Dad, I need to use the car for an errand. Brad and I are going to Nonna’s for lunch, and I’d like to drop off some food. I’m going to ask Nonna to make polenta and chicken.”

“Does she know you are coming for lunch?”

“No, but Pa wants to meet Brad. I’ll tell them tonight when I drop off the food.”

After we finished dinner, Dad gave me the car keys. Mom wanted to go with me, and since I knew it wouldn’t take me long in the store, I agree

It didn’t take me long - one fresh chicken, then cornmeal, a small jar of sun-dried tomatoes, and a small jar of sun-dried tomato paste. I picked up a half-gallon of ice cream. Paid, packed, and ready to go.

Then I had to look for Mom. “Mom, come on - I bought ice cream, and it’ll melt.” I knew she didn’t like to leave, but she did.

“What did you buy besides ice cream?”

“Chicken and cornmeal.”

“I’m going to have to start teaching you how to make polenta with chicken. You seem to like that a lot.”

“I’m ready when you are.” What Mom didn’t know - Nonna had already taught me how to make polenta and chicken. She taught me other dishes as well. Spending time there involved more than helping Pa with his gardening.

“What did Brad think of your room?”

“You mean my library?” Laughing, I pulled into Nonna and Pa’s house. I took the bag of groceries and followed Mom. “Nonna, I bought some groceries for lunch tomorrow. Brad and I will be here for lunch. You need to put some of this in the fridge and freezer.” I saw a smile when she saw the ice cream.

Of course, I had to have a small glass of Pa’s wine. “Pa, you need to teach me how to make salami.” In the room we were in, several salamis were hanging from the rafters. I always liked this room as the smells were, for me, like ambrosia.

“Scott, you ready to go?”

“Yes, be right there.” I finished the wine, hugged Pa, and hurried to hug Nonna as well. “Mom, you better drive.” She knew that I had a little wine. It’s hard to get away from Pa without sampling his wine.

Even though I was excited about having lunch with Brad, I was a little nervous. Suppose they don’t like Brad. I had to stop these thoughts. They’ll like him because they like me and anyone I liked, they would like. Whether that thought process made sense or not, I didn’t care. I could sleep now.

I was anxious and couldn’t wait for lunch. I needed to get a message to Brad, then I saw him with Ronnie. “Hi, guys.”

“Hey Teach, what’s up?”

“Did you hear anything about scouts hanging around? I saw a strange man talking to Coach this morning when I arrived.”

“Brad, we have to check that out.”

“Teach, can you help me with this composition?”

“Sure. Meet me at 12, and I’ll see what I can do.”

“Why don” t we go to the diner in town? We can eat while you look at my composition.”

“Ronnie, we are supposed to have lunch together today, and I made the brownies you like.”

“Sorry, guys, brownies beat out your fellowship any time. Ok, Carla, let’s have lunch.”

“That was close. We need to hurry. Walk fast until we’re out of sight of the school, then a slight jog.”

We made up the lost time, and best of all, we weren’t sweating. “Hello, Nonna! We’re here.”

“What smells so good?”

“Lunch. Nonna, this is my friend, Brad.” I watched Nonna hug him. I got a hug and kiss on the cheek. Just then, Pa came out of the back cellar with three small glasses of wine. “Pa, this is my friend, Brad.”

Pa set the glasses down and extended his hand. I watched as Brad smiled, and I saw the smile in Pa’s eyes. “Here, this is a special occasion.” He handed each of us a glass of wine.

Brad looked at me. “Just take a sip, and we can drink the rest with lunch.” I watched Brad sip the wine - I knew what to expect, “Brad, Pa makes his own wine, and this is the best yet. Come and let’s eat.”

I sat in my usual seat, facing Pa. Brad sat next to Nonna, and I knew what was going to happen. Nonna placed a large slice of polenta on his plate, added several chicken pieces, and then spooned the stewing liquid over the chicken and polenta. She passed the food to me, I had to get my own, and then I gave Pa the food. Once everyone had their food, Pa raised his wine glass. “To family.”

Now, I knew Brad didn’t understand the significance of that toast, but I did, Brad was accepted, and I was happy.

Lunch was fantastic. I watched Brad as he took his first bite. He looked at me, and the smile told me everything. “Pa, Brad, and I agree you have the best cook, including those in Italy. Nonna, you outdid yourself. This is fantastic! Agree, Brad?”

Brad just nodded - his mouth was full of food. Nona added more sauce to his polenta.

I don’t think he noticed, but his wine glass was empty. He’s going to fit right in. I was finished and checking the time, Brad checked the time as well.

“Let’s skip class.”

We laughed. Pa and Nonna knew I’d never agreed to do that. While Brad finished what was on his plate, I helped to clear the table. When we were alone, Nonna said, “Scott, I like him. Bring him and his family on Sunday.”

“Nonna, how will we explain it? They’ll be the first family who isn’t family.”

“He’s your family. If they don’t like it, then that’s their problem.” That isn’t what Nonna said as she spoke to me in Italian - I cleaned it up a little.

Saying goodbye, I hugged Nonna and kissed her on the cheek. Brad followed suit. Shook Pa’s hands and hugged him. “We’ll see you on Sunday. Nonna, if you need anything, let me know, and I’ll get it at the store.”

Walking back to school, I asked, “How do you feel?”

“I’m stuffed. That food was so good. I could have eaten more. You need to learn how to cook like that when we’re married.”

Now I knew the wine was speaking. I hope he’s not feeling the effects by the time we get back to school. “I think Pa’s wine affected you."

"I feel like laughing.”

“Here, eat this.” I gave him a piece of Nonna’s bread. She told me it would help to absorb the alcohol from the wine.

We were almost at the school when we heard the first bell. “We need to run, or we’ll be late.”

Of course, he beat me, and I signaled for him to go. I had math in the library, so there was no problem if I was a little late.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like Nonna, she's a firecracker! Both she and Pa have embraced the love Scott and Brad share - as family should! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great lunch  awesome that nonna and pa gladly accepted hi. Into the fold, the family just got bigger

  • Like 3
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Chris L said:

I like Nonna, she's a firecracker! Both she and Pa have embraced the love Scott and Brad share - as family should! 

Nonna was the silent type, the ruler behind the crown so to speak. You will learn more about her. She was a very interesting woman.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great lunch  awesome that nonna and pa gladly accepted hi. Into the fold, the family just got bigger

Yes, they are good people who have lived long enough to know that acceptance is love. Family is important to them, especially Scott

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great lunch. Brad accepted by the grandparents.

Yep. lunch was more like dinner. The custom among many southern European countries, Lunch was the main meal. Dinner or supper was mostly left overs fro lunch. Probably a more sensible way to eat if we think about it

  • Like 4
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Nonna and Pa are the best!!

Yes they are and in real life they were also

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..