Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,301 Words
  • 1,951 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warning. Chapter 1 contains sexual acts between minors

Biscotti - 24. Chapter 24

During that last week, I asked Eva if there was an emergency how would they handle it. She said they would call the police in Cavarzere and they would send people to help them. She also said a doctor comes once a month to check on the villagers. I was concerned if something happened like a heart attack, the individual would be dead before help could arrive. She said that some of the men were trained in first aid and how to deal with emergencies. I also suspect some home-brewed remedies were used.

It bothered me that the village was somewhat isolated. Depending on a car once a week to go to the nearest city was not to our liking. After talking it over with Brad, I decided to see if anyone knew how to drive. When I asked Eva, she said her husband knew, ‘He drives a truck to take the grapes.”

One of the men who sat with us had a son who was 28. He was at school but would be home the week after we left. I asked him if he drove, a bicycle was the answer.

Thursday night we had a going-away party given for us by the villagers. It reminded me of street parties back home. I had arranged for the car to come in the morning after breakfast. Our bus to Venice didn’t leave till the afternoon but I wanted to buy some gifts to take home and possibly get my film developed. I had booked our hotel in Venice and made our flight arrangements to fly home.

Friday morning to say there were a few tears would be wrong, there were a lot of tears, including Brads as well as mine. On a different level, we connected with these people. I had a strong feeling of family and when you leave the family there is always sadness. Of course, we had to promise to return and to stay in touch. I had notes and letters to deliver to Nonna and Pa.

Our car came, Angelina was crying. Grandmother took her aside, whispered something to her, she nodded her head yes and then ran to Brad, he picked her up and kissed her cheek. She placed her arms around his neck and silently wept into his shirt. We knew that this would be a rough time for her.

“Scott, would you mind if I came with you? I’ll take care of her till you board the flight for home.” I thought that would be a great idea. At home, she would have a family again. As we were about to get into the car, I remembered the gift I had from Pa. I opened my briefcase and took the pin, I pinned it on Angelina. When Grandmother saw it, she smiled. It was as if she knew that something was missing and now it was found.

Eva went and got her small suitcase. I was sure she had it packed before she asked as if she knew the answer was going to be yes.

The ride to Cavarzere was quiet except for a few sobs from Angelina. Eva’s presence helped a lot. Arriving in Cavarzere I had a lot to do. I went and picked up our bus tickets, then checked the directory for a car dealership. I didn’t find one but what I found was a car service that they said would help me buying a car. They would order the car from Venice and have it delivered to the village. I ordered a large car to be delivered to Eva’s.

I wasn’t able to get my film developed but I would try in Venice. After a nice lunch, we went to the bus terminal. We had to sit since the bus was running about 15 minutes late. When it arrived, Angelina became aware of reality and I was thankful Eva was there. Brad held her and smiled, in the short time we were in the village, she had won his heart.

The bus ride was bumpy, just as bumpy when we arrived. Angelina sat next to Brad, he had his arm around her. I looked at him and he had a big grin on his face.

Arriving in Venice, I checked ourselves into the hotel, and then looked for a place to develop films. On a side street, I found one that said they could do it by morning but there would be an extra charge. I agreed and paid upfront.

Dinner that evening was at a trattoria on the canal. Of course, we had to take a gondola ride. The young man sang a song to Angelina, she hid her face in Brad’s chest and kept taking a peek at the gondolier. Eva and I smiled as she relaxed in Brad’s arms.

The next morning after our breakfast at the hotel, I went to pick up my photos. I took a glance and they seemed ok. I gave Eva money for the bus ride back and the car ride to the village.

I shopped for something to keep Angelina busy and found a book with pictures in Italian and English.

We arrived at the airport and as I suspected Angelina became a little upset. Brad did a great job of misdirecting Angelina while Eva hugged me and left. We went through passport control, went to the waiting area. We had about 45 minutes before boarding. We went to the duty-free shop, I wanted to know if we could bring food bought there into the States. They assured me with the duty-free stamp I could. I bought some cheeses that we couldn’t buy at home as well as some candy. They had salamis but we had Pa’s at home which I liked. Brad came back with some cookies for you know who.

I picked up a few magazines and a newspaper, all in Italian. They had English copies but I wanted the ones in Italian.

Soon it was time to board. I booked us Business Class so we boarded right after First Class. Angelina’s eyes were all over the place. I couldn’t tell if they showed excitement or fear. She sat next to Brad, he let her have the window seat. I sat behind them so I could translate for Brad. He’s going to have to learn Italian.

For me, there are exciting times when flying, take-off, and landing. The cabin crew went through the safety chat in both Italian and English, the seat belt sign came on, the plane started to move.

“Everything okay up there?” My response was a hand signal for okay.

As we climb Brad asked for some chewing gum. I passed it to him, I knew he would give it to Angelina to keep her ears from popping.

Flying was okay, so Brad said. Once we had reach altitude, the steward came with a cart offering something to drink. He asked Angelina, in Italian and Brad in English. When he came to me I asked for coffee in Italian. Handing me the coffee he mentioned that I had a beautiful daughter. Of course, Angelina heard that and giggled. I think the new experience of flying with Brad may have overcome some of her fears about leaving the village.

The rest of the flight was uneventful. Lunch was served, a movie about a boy and his dog was shown in Italian but you could switch the buttons to English. After lunch, I took a nap.

When I woke they were about to serve dinner. The total flight time from Venice to the States was 12 hours. We made one stop, crew change, and then we flew over the Atlantic to the States. We landed at JFK in New York and then boarded a late-night flight home.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

25 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Angelina is on her way to her new home.

Yes and to be spoiled by Brad and grandparents 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

How close is it to school time for Angelina?Everyone should speak to her in English 

Scott’s mom will take care of her until she learns enough English to attend school.  It won’t take her long to pick up the language. It seems easier for kids then adults 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I once had a lovely daughter.... then she grew! Angelina seems attached to Brad, I hope it rides the problems that are sure to come in the future. Mom and the grandparents are going to spoil Angelina rotten, well you just know that Pa will.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Someone will be spoiled and loved to bits!!

Loved to bits by all and spoiled by Brad

  • Like 2
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Kev said:

I once had a lovely daughter.... then she grew! Angelina seems attached to Brad, I hope it rides the problems that are sure to come in the future. Mom and the grandparents are going to spoil Angelina rotten, well you just know that Pa will.

I think both sets of grandparents will spoil her. Scott will have to be the disciplinarian 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A beautiful story of new beginning with parents that love her so much. Henry Ford once said, "The whole secret of a successful life is to find out what is one’s destiny to do, and then do it."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

A beautiful story of new beginning with parents that love her so much. Henry Ford once said, "The whole secret of a successful life is to find out what is one’s destiny to do, and then do it."

He was right and when you do it you will be guaranteed a success. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great holiday has come to an end but a new beginning as well when they get to the states

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great holiday has come to an end but a new beginning as well when they get to the states

Yes and then the fun begins

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..