Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,029 Words
  • 2,077 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warning. Chapter 1 contains sexual acts between minors

Biscotti - 21. Chapter 21

Arriving in Rome, I exchanged some dollars for Liras “Let’s buy a map so we can see where the village is located and how to get there.”

After buying the map, we found a table at the train station’s cafe. Brad went to get breakfast while I started to look at the map.

“It looks like we’ll need to take two trains, or we could fly to Venice then take two buses. We’ll get close to the village. Once we are there, we’ll have to check on how to get to the village. If this map is correct, we can possibly walk there.”

“Let’s take the train, we’ll be able to see more of the country. The train ride here was nice.”

“We’ll take a train from here to this station and then change trains which will take us to Venice and then we can take the buses as close to the village as possible. There isn’t a bus to the village.”

“Maybe there might be a taxi or car service to the village.”

“I’m not sure. It doesn’t seem far. We might be able to walk there.”

Since the train ride was during the day, we bought second-class tickets. It was fun as this train wasn’t as smooth as the train from Amsterdam to Rome. Brad was all smiles and kept mouthing the words ‘I love you.

Arriving at the first train station, we checked the schedule and found we had an hour’s wait. Brad went and bought two sandwiches and two bottles of water. We sat outside while we ate, “Why are you smiling?”

“Because I’m happy and love you. This is quite an adventure.”

And an adventure it indeed was. “I think this is our train.” It was, and again we traveled second class.

Arriving in Venice, Brad wanted to take a ride in a gondola. I think he was falling in love with Italy or at least the food. We ate at a trattoria and then we looked for a gondola.

If Brad wasn’t in love with Italy before, he was now.

Since it was late, we booked a room at the Hotel Guru, a small hotel in Venice. The following day after breakfast, we headed to the bus terminal. We bought our tickets from Venice to Cavarzere. “This will be as close to the village as we can get. From there, we’ll have to figure out what to do. I figure the village is about half a day’s walk. I’ll guess that’s what we’ll have to do. Maybe we’ll have to sleep out under the stars.”

Sitting across from us on the bus was a young man, maybe 26 -28 years old. “You are American?”

I answered him in Italian, and that started our conversation. I told him we were going to visit the village where my grandparents had come from. What happened next was a surprise.

“I’m going close to that village. If you don’t mind riding in the back of my truck, I can take you there.”

I told this to Brad, “Scott, we must give him some money for gas.”

“I’ll give him some money when we get there; otherwise, he’ll refuse.”

And so, our trip to the village was finalized. We talked, and I found out he visited his family, who lived in the next village whenever he could. He had family meeting him at the bus terminal. They would take us to the village.

By the time we arrived at the terminal, we were friends. He asked Brad for his autograph. I took a picture of him with Brad. “Lorenzo, I’ll send you a copy.”

The ride to the village was smooth for me but bouncy for Brad. I sat on his lap the whole way.

Arriving at the village, on the pretense of giving Lorenzo our address in the States, I gave him 100 Lira for the ride in an envelope.

“Now we need to find a place to stay.”

“There is a hotel, let’s check it out.”

“How do you know, there isn’t a sign that says hotel?”

“Trust me, Ca’ Maria is a hotel.”

Walking in, there was a woman behind the small counter. Speaking Italian, I asked if we could have a room.

She looked at us, pushed a book, and gave me a pen. I wrote our names, she gave us a key and told me where the room was located. A stranger in a small village always caused an interest.

We took our luggage to our room and decided to check out the village.

“Hey American, come and have a drink with us.” I guess my Italian had an American twist to it. I looked at Brad, and he nodded.

We sat with them and had a glass of wine. Slowly the story of why we were here came out. “Brad, go get the pictures of Nonna and Pa that I brought with us.”

When Brad brought the pictures, I showed them to the men. One of them began to laugh, “I know this man, Victor. He would chase the woman who picked the grapes.”

Of course, everyone had to see the pictures. “I remember them, and they lived in the house where Grandmother lives.”

“I remember the wedding. Victor couldn’t wait for the Priest, and he wanted the magistrate to marry them.”

“I remember that. Her parents said no and wouldn’t let her work in the vineyard till the priest arrived.”

“What a wedding. Victor had 4 barrels of wine, and if I remember correctly, we empty all of them.” They all laughed as if they were remembering.

Marie, hearing all the laughter, brought over more wine and wanted to look at the pictures.

“Didn’t they have children?”

“Yes, two a boy named Geno and a girl named Victoria.”

“Why did they leave?”

“The war, many people left. The Brown Shirts were going to the villages recruiting and stealing. Victor said he wasn’t going to join, so one night, he gathered the children and fled to Malta.”

“How did they get to Malta? That is quite a distance from here.”

“We don’t know, but that’s what we heard.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 22
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

37 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

 Ending the chapter while the story in progress that's mean😄.Seriously I'm willing to bet this story might explain the Angelina mystery

I don't mean to be mean.  They are in the village and now they must  find the little girl

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

That's just mean, leaving us waiting 8 hours for the conclusion of the story.

Hey, it is called suspense,. I bet you will read the next chapter as soon as it is posted in say 9 hours.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I have never been to Italy, but could soon fall in love with it. Mind you if they run off to Malta and fail to find Angelina :fight:I reckon if my parents had let me travel to Italy as a kid I would have been over the moon, you know me... I might never have bothered coming home. Hope they find what they are looking for, especially the village as there are a lot of places this Angelina could be.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great travels, more information about Italy, plus the story about why they are there, we await the next chapter

  • Like 4
Link to comment

This is what I luv most about much of Europe - the people are so kind and embracing of strangers. Almost always, walking into a pub, complete strangers have invited to sit with them and, upon leaving, felt like they were best friends had known a lifetime. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Kev said:

I have never been to Italy, but could soon fall in love with it. Mind you if they run off to Malta and fail to find Angelina :fight:I reckon if my parents had let me travel to Italy as a kid I would have been over the moon, you know me... I might never have bothered coming home. Hope they find what they are looking for, especially the village as there are a lot of places this Angelina could be.

Kev, would I leave you hanging. After all Nonna and Pa said two going in and three leaving. They wouldn't lie.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great travels, more information about Italy, plus the story about why they are there, we await the next chapter

and so you have it

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Chris L said:

This is what I luv most about much of Europe - the people are so kind and embracing of strangers. Almost always, walking into a pub, complete strangers have invited to sit with them and, upon leaving, felt like they were best friends had known a lifetime. 

This is so true.  I have experienced this as you have 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I get the feeling the adventure is just about to begin!!

you may be right, and an adventure it will be

  • Like 3
Link to comment

You realise, 100 Lira is and has been, a Nickel's worth...so it's more an insult than a fare tbh! lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, IBEX said:

You realise, 100 Lira is and has been, a Nickel's worth...so it's more an insult than a fare tbh! lol

no in my stories a lira is worth a lot more .  The great thing about fiction is that nothing is true. This gives the author a great wide road to travel.  and yes I knew that the Italian lira has a limited value.  We use to joke about the denomination of the lira where 10,000 notes were in circulation. There were other jokes as well about the lira. When Europe went to the EURO, there was a debate about the value of a lira versus the Euro. I was going to use a Euro instead of the lira, but this story is in the 1960-1970 time frame. Actually the point is well taken, 100 lira in this time frame is 16 cents.  If I ever decided to publish this story, I'll take into account the conversion. 

Thanks for reading and commenting 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..