Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,514 Words
  • 3,308 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warning. Chapter 1 contains sexual acts between minors

Biscotti - 3. Chapter 3

You can imagine what the scuttlebutt was the next day at school. People I didn’t know came up to me and asked about the accident. My math teacher asked me to stay after school for a minute. I wasn’t sure what he wanted. I thought it might be another tutoring assignment. As it turned out, it wasn’t. He laid the paper down in front of me, and there was my picture at the accident scene.

“Scott, this accident wasn’t an accident. Someone calculated this impact. What do you think?”

“For someone to calculate that at that specific time, they would have to know a lot of facts, like distance and speed of the truck, speed of the man running, and what would divert him from not noticing the truck. That is a lot of factors that need to be calculated at the last minute.”

“Could you do that?”

“What! In my head?”

“Yes, in your head. In all my years, I have never run across a math wizard until now.”

“Who? I want to talk to him and maybe get some secrets.”

The teacher looked at me. I could see the twinkle in his eyes. “Take this paper to read your story and take this book. I want the assignments on the first 20 pages on my desk a week from today. Oh, forget the regular assignments - focus on that book.”

Walking away, I knew that he knew who made that calculation.

When I went to his class the following day, he took me to the Library. “You don’t need to attend my class. You come here with your new math book and do the assignments.”

I didn’t realize it, but he just gave me a Christmas present. I sat, opened the book, and began to read. I was ready to solve the first set, but I didn’t have any paper or pencils. I left those in my locker. I went to see Mrs. Carmichael if I could have a few sheets of paper and a pencil. She smiled and gave me a few sheets and a pencil. Thanking her, I returned to my table and began to solve the problems at the end of chapter one. I was so involved in what I was doing. I didn’t hear the bell. Mrs. Carmichael came and told me the period was over.

The rest of the day was normal. I was eager to get back to the math book. I wonder where he got that math book. Maybe this weekend I can go to a library and see if they have that book to ask where it came from.

My life became routine: school and the new math book; work on Thursday and Friday evening from 5 to 9, Saturday from 7 to 5.

It seems when you are busy, school passes quickly. Soon summer was upon us. My schedule at the supermarket was changed so that I worked from 7 to 5 with an hour off for lunch, Wednesday through Saturday. Don’t think that having Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off was without expectations. Sunday was family day at my grandparents. This was as sacred as the Holidays. It was fun, and I did learn some cooking secrets from my grandmother. Maybe since my mother was the youngest girl or enjoyed being around my grandparents, they treated me special. I saw how they treated their other grandchildren, although some of them were quite a bit older. My uncle, who was the youngest of them all -there were 7 in total - got a college education as a gift from the armed services. When he was around, he would quiz me about school. That is where I found out where the math book came from. When I showed him the book and told him how I got it, he laughed. The book was the Freshman textbook in the math department at the University. He was giving me his old math textbooks. I began to laugh, and when I told my uncle, he laughed also. Then he got serious. “Are you doing the problems?”

“Yes, the first ten pages were a little difficult since I wasn’t exposed to some of the terms. Once I understood them, I had no problem. I should get my second book when school starts.”

He smiled as he put his arm around me and squeezed me. He didn’t see my grandfather smile at me when he saw that.

Monday and Tuesday, I spent at my grandparents helping my grandfather in his garden. Unlike my dad, my grandfather had a few acres that he planted. Everything was done by hand, no machinery here. Of course, this just got me closer to him.

Junior year started, and a significant change occurred that year: The first semester was over, and I was still doing math from the teacher’s college books. He now knew I knew where the books came from, and he laughed when I told him. “I figure anyone who calculates the distance and speed of the truck and the speed of a running man must have the brain of an excellent math student.”

The Holidays were over, and I was looking toward a rest period that the school’s usual routine would provide. When I entered the high school building, there was a buzz going around. “Ronnie, what’s happening?”

“A new student started today. He was the football star at a competitive school, and he just transferred in. The coach is going crazy. He’s talking about taking the Championship.”

“Is this guy that good?”

“Yes. We played against him, and he is good, real good.”

I just smiled and went to my locker. Opening the door, putting my books, taking what I needed until lunch, I heard a group of silly girls giggling. The door of the locker was opened, so I couldn’t see what was happening. I closed my locker. When I turned around, in front of me was a six-foot blond Viking god. I shook my head. This isn’t supposed to happen. I’m not going to repeat Larry. I turned and walked to my class.

The rest of the morning, I focused on my studies. The math book was a lifesaver. I got so far into it, and I missed half of my lunch period. I avoided this new guy like the plague. Of course, when I was putting my books away, he happened to walk by. I heard one of the girls call him Brad. So, I guess that was his name. He seemed to hang around Ronnie a lot.

The weeks went by, and from the scuttlebutt, I guess our football team was doing ok. I hadn’t seen a football game, and I’d like to see at least one with our team playing. As if the Gods were listening, the supermarket manager decided to close that store at 6 for an in-depth inventory that needed to be taken. When I got home, Dad was there, so dinner was ready. “Dad, can I borrow the car tonight?”

I never had any trouble getting the car and tonight was no different. After dinner, I got ready to go to the game. I parked the car in front of the school and walked to the field. It made more sense as the school area was safer.

The team was getting on the field as I entered the park. I bought a bottle of water and headed to the bleachers. The first several rows were filled with kids from the high school, mostly girls. I sat about four rows from the top. I could see better from there.

As the teams took to the field, I noticed Brad and Ronnie. They played ends, so it was easy for them to be identified. I saw as they took to the field, Ronnie waved to his girl on the first tier and said something to Brad. He turned and looked at the bleachers. He waved, and all of the girls stood and waved back. I laughed at them.

I enjoyed watching the game. We won and by a good margin. I also noticed at half-time, Brad was waving at the bleachers. Game over and a lot of the girls hung around. I walked back to get my car. On the way, I stopped and got an ice cream cone. I wasn’t in any hurry, so I took my time.

Arriving at the school, I went to my car and began to unlock the door. “You’re Scott, right?”

Without turning, I responded, “Yes. How can I help you?”

“I wonder if you could give me a ride home?”

That was when I turned, and there was my Viking. “Of course!”

I would have given anyone a ride home who asked, so taking Brad home was me just being nice. I tried to convince myself that this was the case - it didn’t work. I was excited to have him alone in my car. “Put your gear in the back. You’ll have to show me where you live.”

“Sure, you know how to get to 19?”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 14
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. So it seems Scott is a maths genius. I hope Brad doesn't try and use Scott, unless it's a genuine attraction.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Hey I work in finance, could find Scott a job if he needs one😇 Love the sound of Brad... Interesting how Ronnie seems to have pointed him out to Brad during the game, I doubt very much that the pointing was to the girls. If you have any spare viking gods, can I have one please? I could do with some lockdown entertainment😍🤣:glomp: 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. So it seems Scott is a maths genius. I hope Brad doesn't try and use Scott, unless it's a genuine attraction.

Next chapter, Scott has a problem

  • Like 4
Link to comment

The teacher called Scott a math whiz he would have to be one himself if he realized what Scott did at the scene of the incident.It will be interesting if @Kev is right about Ronnie point Scott out to Brad.I'm not sure would Brad wave at him?And how did Ronnie figure it out?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

The teacher called Scott a math whiz he would have to be one himself if he realized what Scott did at the scene of the incident.It will be interesting if @Kev is right about Ronnie point Scott out to Brad.I'm not sure would Brad wave at him?And how did Ronnie figure it out?

Yes,. the teacher is a math wizard as well although they say one can recognize a skill in another without having that skill as well. I think Scott's math skill will become more obvious. I think Ronnie was waving to the girls. Not sure what Ronnie knows about Brad as to the reason he had transferred.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Interesting chapter, avoiding the new boy Brad, did not work out as he expected, almost like out of the frying pan into the fire, I reacon some drama ahead , let's hope that he keeps his head (the one above his shoulders) on and doesn't do something crazy

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Interesting chapter, avoiding the new boy Brad, did not work out as he expected, almost like out of the frying pan into the fire, I reacon some drama ahead , let's hope that he keeps his head (the one above his shoulders) on and doesn't do something crazy

he seems to be a sensitive young man.  once burnt, twice cautious. I think he will take anything involving love slow,. he is afraid of another Larry 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

A classic case of still waters that run very deep!

yes, someone once said the quiet ones are the ones to watch.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..