Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,235 Words
  • 2,000 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warning. Chapter 1 contains sexual acts between minors

Biscotti - 7. Chapter 7

Scott’s dad drove home with Scott sitting in the back seat. He didn’t see the tears in Brad’s eyes, and Brad didn’t see the tears in Scott’s eyes.

“Scott, I like Brad’s parents. I invited them over for dinner next Saturday.”

“Dad, we’ll have to make sure your small garden is perfect. I’ll help you Monday and Tuesday to make sure there are no weeds. What did you think of Brad’s dad’s garden?”

“He has a nice place there. When you look for a small farm for me, a place like his will do.”

I laughed, and I like that idea. I’ll approach that subject at dinner next week.

Dad pulled the car into the garage. Mom wrapped her arm around my shoulder as we walked to the house. “Scott, I’m going, to be honest with you. I was displeased when you told me about your liking boys. Tonight, I had a long talk with Carol. After meeting Brad and seeing his father accepting him, I think I’m more comfortable with the idea. I watched you and Brad, and the way you looked at each other is the way I looked at your dad. It’ll take me a while, but I’m going to try my best to accept this. I love you, and I trust you.”

I looked at Mom. I had tears in my eyes. “I love you, Mom. and always will.”

I hugged her and ran to my bedroom. I missed Brad, but I had to think about what Mom said. I now wondered what Dad thought. It was difficult falling asleep - I wondered if Brad was having the same problem. Thinking about watching the stars, it was the best. I hope we have many of those quiet times.

 

“Scott, are you ready?”

“Aren’t we leaving a little early?”

“Yes, I want to help your Nonna with the dinner preparation. She wants to make bread, so I said I’d do that.”

When we arrived, it was always the same: as soon as we entered the kitchen, I was greeted by my Nonna in a hug. Pa, my grandfather, wanted me to taste a little of his new wine. It wasn’t very good, but he thought it was his best. I drank some - it lit my face up. “Pa, you outdid yourself - this is the best you have ever made!” The smile and a little more wine were worth the little white lie. I loved my grandparents, and I knew they loved me also.

Nonna needed some peppers and basil from their garden. I told her I’d go and get it. It took me a while to select the peppers: they had to be perfect in color, and I had to bring a sprig of basil. When I got back to the kitchen, I heard my mom telling Nona and Pa about me liking boys and not girls. They spoke in Italian, but I understood Italian. They could have said it in English. What I heard next completely surprised me.

“So, what’s the problem? Your Uncle Gino liked boys. My father threw him out of the house. They never saw him again, but I did. My mother knew and gave me food and clean clothes for him. He found a man and moved in with him. He adopted your cousin Petri. He was a good man, and Scott is a good man as well. You should be glad for him being honest with you. He’s welcome here, and if you throw him out, you won’t be welcome here.”

My grandfather made it clear, and if you didn’t get the message, the tone of his voice told you. I walked into the kitchen and pretended I didn’t hear anything, “Nonna. you need anything more, or can I help with something?”

Nonna just grabbed and hugged me. This wasn’t unusual, but after what I heard, I knew this was her way of saying everything was ok. “Mom, you need anything?”

“No, I may need you later to carry the bread to the ovens.”

My grandparents lived as much as they did when they lived in Italy: behind the garage was a brick oven. That is where the bread was baked and also certain Italian dishes. I knew I’d have one of those ovens when I had my home.

“Scott, come and help me fire up the oven.” Pa always spoke to me in Italian - that was how I learned the language. Of course, I had books to learn more.

Before we left the kitchen, I had another glass of wine. I knew I wouldn’t be driving home today. Carrying our wine, we went to the oven. I got a rake to clean out the ashes from the fire pit. Later, I would shovel these ashes into a barrel. I think Pa used them in the garden if the soil was too acidic. I know Nonna took some to make the soap she used to wash clothes.

Pa is a smart man, and when you think he doesn’t hear you or see you, you quickly find out you’re wrong. “Scott, I meant what I said to your mother: I want to meet this young man of yours.”

I looked in Pa’s eyes, and he saw the tears in mine. “Too much wine?”

Then we both laughed. I brought the wood and filled the firebox. Pa had some paper that looked like it was soaked with barbecue starter fluid. He lit the paper and tossed it into the firebox. Now it was my job to keep feeding wood until the stone plate got hot.

“When the plate is hot, open the firebox and put two shovels of these coals in.”

“I didn’t know you had these coals in Italy.”

“Where do you think the idea came from? We would set the wood on fire and then bury it. The heat and lack of oxygen turned the wood into charcoal. I think the idea came from Africa originally - not sure, and maybe you can find out.”

We sat there, drinking our wine. I would check the fire and add more wood as necessary. “I’ll be back - keep adding wood.”

He took my empty wine glass, and I was hoping he wouldn’t bring it back full. “How is the fire?”

“Hi Dad, Pa went to get something. I hope it isn’t more wine.”

“He likes his homemade wine. Your uncles will take care of most of it.”

“I was there when your mother was talking to Nonna and Pa. From what I gathered, Pa is accepting.”

“Yes - he had a brother that his father threw out. Luckily his mother made sure he had food and clean clothes. He wants to meet Brad.”

“Then, next Sunday, we’ll bring him and his family.”

“Here, John, try this. Scott, when you go to test the stone plate, put some water on it. When the water dances, then add the charcoal and close everything up.”

“This is the best you have made. Did you try a new grape?”

“Yes. I blended my usual grape with an African grape. I think it gives it a better taste. Ah, here comes the expert.”

“Hello Dad, John. I see they got you on fire duty, Scott.”

“Yes, I want to build one like this when I get my home. I need to learn how to make bread.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 minutes ago, Chris L said:

The way it should be with ALL families "So, what’s the problem? He’s welcome here, and if you throw him out, you won’t be welcome here.” ❤️

You are right. It shouldn't matter and Pa was right on.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Kev said:

I want one of those ovens, mum used to make bread when she was well. It has been years since I kneaded the dough and watched fascinated as it doubled in size by the open fire. I remember she used to make absolutely magical hot cross buns at Easter... Strange what makes you remember. Still loving Scottie.

I think many stories bring back memories. Things we have put in our closed mental cupboard, are opened when we heard, or read something 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

So Scott is accepted by all the family and his grandparents want to meet Brad.

Yes, and I think as the grandparents think so will the total family 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

So now I need one of those ovens, though you should never use lighter fluid, paper is best and I love Pa!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter, so the family accepts them , mom will have to come terms quite rapidly, or grand parents will take over, great to learn how to make an oven to make bread

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

So now I need one of those ovens, though you should never use lighter fluid, paper is best and I love Pa!!

Yes, lighter fluid can cause a fire out of control. Next Sunday, I'll buy Pa some of those long stem matches.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, so the family accepts them , mom will have to come terms quite rapidly, or grand parents will take over, great to learn how to make an oven to make bread

Just remember it's the heated stone that is the key. In some places you can get pizza c cooked in a stone oven

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..