Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,459 Words
  • 2,086 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warning. Chapter 1 contains sexual acts between minors

Biscotti - 17. Chapter 17

Brad and I cleaned up after breakfast. He had a big smile on his face, “That was a great breakfast. I think living with you will be great, but I’m going to have to exercise more.”

“Football camp will take care of any extra weight.”

Sunday at Nonna’s was the same, except Brad had to tell about dinner last night, “Nonna, it tasted exactly like yours.” Nonna just smiled and patted him on the cheek. She knew it would taste like hers; she taught me. And yes, Brad started to call them Nonna and Pa.

College for Brad and me started one week before the official start date. Brad had football meetings and practice, and I had orientation. It did provide me the chance to meet with Dr. McDermis of the Math Department. After taking a series of tests, I was given credit for freshman math which means I would start sophomore math when school officially started. The bad part of starting early, I didn’t see Brad until Saturday night.

It wasn’t long before I was established as a tutor, thanks to Brad. One of his football buddies was having problems with math. His math curriculum at his high school did not cover some basic geometry and algebra. By mid-terms, the number of students that I was tutoring had grown to five. I found out after mid-terms that students who approached Dr. McDermis for math assistance ended up as one of my students to tutor. Actually, I like tutoring in math, which led me to change my major from Engineering to Math. When I told Dr. McDermis, he just smiled as if he knew this would occur.

I did attend the home football games sitting in the same spot each time so Brad could see me. His wave and soon a few more, that always brought a smile to my face.

We cherished our Saturdays, those that didn’t conflict with football games. I continued to work at the supermarket. The extra money allowed me to spend lunchtime with Brad at the school’s cafeteria. The little money I got from tutoring I used for books and supplies. All in all, I was doing ok.

The freshmen football team ended the season in first place. The coach was happy, so the team was happy, and so was Brad. I knew Brad played hard and played to win. I made his favorite dinner when he came to my house, chicken with polenta. Dad and mom made a big fuss about ending the season in first place.

At Nonna and Pa’s, my cousins took him aside, and I think they re-played every game. When we left that afternoon, he was in a good mood. By morning when we left for school, he was in a better than a good mood. I made sure of that last night.

With football season over, Brad and I spent more time together. He even came to a few tutoring sessions. He said he was my moral support.

Towards the end of the semester, the football coach began to have training meetings. There was a new playbook to be memorized. Although there wasn’t any games, the coach had them do workouts. Brad said the coach gave them a list of exercises they need to do over the summer.

Dr. McDermis gave me the math books for the third year. He said he wanted to make sure I kept up on what I started. At this rate, I’ll be doing graduate math before I finish my undergraduate degree.

Freshman year came to a successful conclusion. Brad passed all of his classes and now would play on the varsity football team. He was happy, and I was happy for him. I don’t know what would happen if he couldn’t play football. I passed my classes and now had my summer challenge with the junior math books. Dr. McDermis was keeping me a year ahead of my normal level. I didn’t know if I should curse my high school math teacher for pushing me or not.

One nice thing about summer, I got to see Brad more. I started to work 40 hours per week at the supermarket, and Brad worked in his dad’s office. We spent as much time together as possible. We were making up for lost time during our freshman year and anticipating the amount of lost time when school resumes.

It was mid-July when Brad started to spend time at school. The football coach began to hold meetings, and Brad said it was to review plays. The second week of August, Brad went to football camp for two weeks. School started when he returned.

I used the time during the summer break to begin studying math for Juniors. Anytime Brad wasn’t around, my nose was in a math book.

Dr. McDermis had my test ready as soon as I returned to school. I was glad I studied over the summer. In hindsight, I was happy that Brad gave me the time to study. As an award for passing the tests, Dr. McDermis had a tutoring office for me. It was simply a table and two chairs in a closet. I was back in the saddle.

Brad’s first game was a home game on the first Saturday in October. Of course, I had to attend.

“Scott, I have two tickets to the game. Do you think Gene and Lou might want to come?”

I laughed. They wouldn’t miss a game with free tickets if it were on the West coast. Later that evening, I called Lou and asked him if he and Gene would like to attend Brad’s football game. What a stupid question? I heard a loud ‘yea’ and the Gene was on the phone. Then the questions, what time do we pick you up, do we have to sit up high, are we going to see Brad? You could tell he was excited.

“Mom, Brad’s first game is this Saturday. Do you think we could make a few batches of biscotti? I want to take some to the game.”

“What do you mean a few batches?”

“Enough for 150 to 200 pieces.”

“You need to bring the ingredients from work. I don’t have enough to make that many.”

I went to the supermarket and bought everything I needed. Arriving home, Mom had already started to make a few loaves with the ingredients she had. I pitched in.

By Saturday, I had 300 pieces of biscotti to take to the game. When Lou and Gene came to pick me up, they wanted to know what I had. I told them biscotti for the football team. They wanted to know why. I explained that Brad loved these, and with the promise of more, he would shine on the field. They just shook their heads as if I was crazy.

We arrived at the field early. I saw the team getting ready to go to the lockers. I called to Brad, when he saw me, he jogged over. He picked me up and swung me around. He was going to kiss me when I put a biscotti in his mouth.

“If you win, I’ll have more for you.” I got a kiss, and he jogged off.

At halftime, we were two TD’s down. Brad hadn’t played yet. I could see the disappointment on his face when he spotted me. I blew him a kiss and held up a biscotti, and he smiled back.

The second half started, and there was Brad along with his two buddies from the freshman squad. I smiled. I knew we would win the game, and we did, 28 to 14.

“Off to a good start”

“Yes, the power of the biscotti”

Lou and Gene laughed, “They won’t believe this when we tell them Sunday.”

We waited for Brad. What I didn’t expect was the entire team coming with him.” Sorry, I told them I had a box to claim. Gene told me it was cookies.”

I took out five for myself and gave the bag to Brad. He sat in front of me and handed out the biscotti. The coach came by to see what happened to his team. Brad gave him a couple as well. I watched the smiles as the team sat and enjoyed the biscotti. Now I’m no fool, so I knew that Brad would make sure he had plenty. On the way home, he showed me the bag, and it was about a third full.

“You know if the team finds out, you’ll be in big trouble.”

“I won’t tell if you don’t.”

We cuddled in the back seat as Lou drove. “You going home, Scott or to Brad’s?”

“I’m going home, and Brad is coming with me.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

15 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

College is working out well for the guys. Scott is making an excellent math's tutor.

Scott has found his niche

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Scott seems to be lucky as he has found his calling and more than that he seems to be enjoying himself. That biscotti sounds as if it is food from the gods and has everyone enchanted...

I think the world could do with a good dose at the moment. Is it a cure for... one can hope that it will be found soon... Thank you, your stories see us through being locked down and unable to get out. Thank you.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Kev said:

Scott seems to be lucky as he has found his calling and more than that he seems to be enjoying himself. That biscotti sounds as if it is food from the gods and has everyone enchanted...

I think the world could do with a good dose at the moment. Is it a cure for... one can hope that it will be found soon... Thank you, your stories see us through being locked down and unable to get out. Thank you.

You are welcome, Kev. Question for you, did you get your COVID-19 shots?  If you did do you know who manufacture the serum?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, great progress on the maths front, the team is making a difference in the scores

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

You are welcome, Kev. Question for you, did you get your COVID-19 shots?  If you did do you know who manufacture the serum?

Had my first one two weeks ago and the next in May ... My partner has his just after Easter... The world is going mad but hopefully there is a path out of this madness I just do not feel that we have it yet. Stay safe🤗

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, great progress on the maths front, the team is making a difference in the scores

I think Scott has found his niche

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

Had my first one two weeks ago and the next in May ... My partner has his just after Easter... The world is going mad but hopefully there is a path out of this madness I just do not feel that we have it yet. Stay safe🤗

I have had both of my shots, but I still wear a mask when I go out.  Take care, both of you 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Something about this chapter solidified Scott is one of those rare individuals that have the ability to encourage anyone around them. It happened with the HS football team and, the way things are looking, it's going to happing with the UNIV football team as well. la mia bellissima farfalla.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Something about this chapter solidified Scott is one of those rare individuals that have the ability to encourage anyone around them. It happened with the HS football team and, the way things are looking, it's going to happing with the UNIV football team as well. la mia bellissima farfalla.

Wouldn't love have a friend like Scott. Generates good feelings it is like an aura, un bell'uomo

  • Like 1
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Love the power of biscotti...

 

Yes, and now you know where the title came from.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..