Jump to content
    edmontongreg
  • Author
  • 961 Words
  • 1,659 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You'd Have to Ask - 16. Chapter 16

Prelude to a Big Day

Cole was up early the next morning and went to the store for some food and a newspaper.
Lance was still asleep in the spare room when he left.

When he got back to the house he could see that Lance was still there. Cole’s head hurt from drinking. Standing outside he takes a look at the house, almost completed. Just need to get the landscaping done.

When he enters the house he can smell coffee and hears Lance call “Hello” from the kitchen.

Cole carries the bags in there and tosses the Edmonton Sun on the table. Lance is on it like a cat.

“Geez that was fast!” Cole says with a smile.

“Gotta check out the Sunshine Boy!” Lance says, “It helps me wake up in the morning.”
Lance finds the page and checks the guy out. He shows the picture to Cole.

“You gotta be kidding!” Cole says with a bit of a whine.

“What?” Lance says, “Don’t tell me you still check out the Girl.” Lance flips through the paper to find the Sunshine Girl and shows her to Cole.

“Well…” Cole says, “Gotta fit in with guys. Besides I still appreciate them and whoa! She is a blast of Sunshine!”

Lance checks out the picture and then flips back to the guy.

“Not me!” Lance says, “I’d take him any day.”

Cole notices that Lance is dressed in a t-shirt and boxers again. Lance’s right hand goes down and adjusts himself as he looks at the picture.

Cole heads to the counter and empties the bags, trying to get the sight of Lance adjusting himself out of his head.

“You ever been with a woman?” Cole turns to Lance and asks.

“Nope, I can honestly say I have never had the urge.” Lance says as he closes the paper. He then gets up and stretches.

“So what are you up to today?” Cole asks.

“Well, I think I need to make a trip to Calgary.” He says with a wink. “What are you up to?”

“Well today I think I am going to see my old man.” Cole says as he turns back to the counter.

“Sounds serious, you aren’t gonna ‘come out’ to him are you?”

Cole turns and looks at his friend, “I was thinking about it.”

“Are you sure? I mean cool, I am all in favour of people coming out, however isn’t it kind of soon?”

“I don’t know it feels right and besides I want him to hear it from me and not another source.”

“Another source?” Lance looks puzzled “Besides me and I assume Kat, who else knows?”

“This is between you and me?” Cole asks.

Lance nods and makes the motion of sealing his lips.

“I arrested a guy the other night, well my new partner and I did.” He pauses, “When I was in the car alone with him, he says he saw me in Edmonton with Mike, the owner of The Hawk.”

“So what did you say?”

“I told him it must have been a guy that looks like me.”

“So now you are spooked?”

“Damn straight. The last thing I need is for the department to find out. It was close though, my partner got to asking questions.”

“Isn’t Mark your partner?”

“Not anymore, I have a new one, her name is Kelly, she transferred in from the RC’s, freshly divorced.” Cole says.

“So you have a female partner?” Lance asks. He stops himself from saying any more. Lance knows what its like to work with stereotypes but he has a stupid smirk on his face.

“Get that grin off you face Johnson!” Cole says, “I am her training officer, hopefully I can be back on my own and put the rumours to bed.”

“So to speak.” Lance says.

Lance really does not know how to help with this. Being out for so long single women, in this town, haven’t hit on him as his reputation precedes him.
“Want some breakfast?”

“Nah, I think I am going to head out.” Lance says.

“That’s cool, I can get something in town before I go see my dad.”

Lance goes up stairs and gets dressed. When he comes back down he finds Cole standing outside looking at his house.

“Thanks guy” Cole says looking at his friend, “All done, except for the landscaping.”

“Landscaping?” Lance says, “You know if there is one thing I am shitty at is that. But I couldn’t help notice that you need help inside.”

“What’s wrong with the inside?”

Lance just looks at Cole and laughs.

“I take it you think it needs some work.” Cole says with a pout.

“Sorry Cole, you may have found out that you’re Gay but I am afraid you don’t have a flair for decorating. Maybe someday we can get you some help!”

“Yeah someday I guess….” Cole says.

Lance walks over to his Jeep and stands there. Cole comes over to say goodbye.

“C’mon give me a hug, cop!”

Cole and Lance hug and squeeze each other.

“Good luck today, call if you need an ear,” Lance says.

“I should be Ok, I can get a hold of Kat if all hell breaks lose.”

“Better warn her first.”

“Yup” Cole says as he watches Lance get in the Jeep.

The vehicle starts and almost immediately Cole feels the thump of bass from the stereo.

Cole waves to Lance as the man takes off. He goes back in the house and pours himself another coffee. His hand is shaking as he as he pours. “This is going to be the toughest day of my life.” He says as he puts his head in his hands and sits at the table.

Copyright © 2011 edmontongreg; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..