Jump to content
    edmontongreg
  • Author
  • 3,301 Words
  • 921 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You'd Have to Ask - 23. Chapter 23

The Gym

They get to the gym and Cole pays for a pass. The representative at the desk tries to sell him a membership. He tells them he is from Lacombe and he hasn’t seen a World Health Club there.

Cole checks out the machines and some of the patrons as they head to the locker room.

When they get to the locker room and find lockers next to each other. Greg heads to the washroom as Cole starts to undress.

When he gets back Cole is almost changed just tying up the lace on his running shoes. Cole is wearing a dark blue t-shirt with a Lacombe Police Service crest on it and grey sweat pants.

Greg gets changed while Cole sits on the bench waiting for him. He notices that the man checks him out while he changes. He is almost springing a rod, never had this happen to him before.

“We’re all guys here Cole.” Greg laughs nervously.

“Yeah!”

When both men are finished getting dressed they take a tour of the locker room. Cole notices there is a steam room.

“Great! I know where I am headed after the workout.”

“Yeah I usually do that too, it’s one of the reasons I joined this gym.”

They go out into the gym and head to the mats.

“I do stretches and crunches to warm up.” Greg says as he gets on a bench and starts doing some crunches.

Cole does the same, he is grateful to have someone to work out with. It has been a long time since Mark and him have worked out together.

“Great exercises!” Cole says, “I feel limber now.”

When they are finished on the mats they head to the water fountain and get some water and then Greg leads them to a treadmill.

“We can run in here or outside.” Greg says, “But I should warn you we are in suburbia and there is not much to see.”

“I like the views in here.” Cole says as he looks down the line of machines and nods towards the guys working out on them.
Greg looks where Cole indicates and sees several hot guys working out. He turns to Cole and smiles, “It’s gonna be like that, is it?”

Cole winks as a response.

The two men start running slow at first but then they pick up the pace. Greg tries to keep up with Cole but he notices the other man is really punishing his body.

“Geez I really must have slowed you down, that day we were running!” he says.

“No problems man, I would rather run with someone than alone.” Cole says as he turns to Greg.

Greg has calmed down and stares openly at Cole. He sees the sweat start to stain his t-shirt and the crack of his ass. Cole nods as he sees he is being checked out.

“You’re in pretty good shape for a guy your age, you must be pretty active.” Cole says as he wipes the sweat off his brow with the bottom part of his t-shirt.

“Well I haven’t always looked this way.” Greg says, “I used to be a couch potato!”

“Really?”

“Well, I was married before. I had a good paying job at the phone company. I worked shifts and found I never had the time to exercise.”

“Did you exercise before and just fall away from it.” Cole asks, “So many guys from high school and college have done that.”

“Well I was never the jock type. I was thin until I was in my thirties.” Greg says, “Then years of inactivity caught up to me. “

“So what made you start exercising?” Cole asks.

“Well I took a buy-out from the phone company after I realized the job was going nowhere and I was going to be stuck on shifts forever.” he looks at Cole, “It’s not that shifts are bad it’s just I got sick of my job.”

“Well, shift work is part of my job.” Cole says, “But I couldn’t imagine doing anything else.”

“So anyway, I was getting pretty active in mountain biking in my time off.” he takes a drink of water, “I was finding it hard to keep up with guys I went biking with.”

“So you decided to do something about that?”

“Yeah, I was 235 pounds and it seemed that no matter how often I biked I wouldn’t lose any weight. A guy I road with was also an avid runner. He said running is a great way to lose weight.”

“Well it must have worked!” Cole says.

Greg smiles back, “Yeah, 12 years 2 marathons and countless days in the gym and voila!”

“Good for you, you must have been pretty motivated.”

“Yeah, well I had the time.” he says, he didn’t think he should bring up the other reason why he was staying at home.

“So you had no plans of getting another job?”

“Not initially, besides I didn’t know what to do, I didn’t want to get back in the same rut I just left. Besides we had just bought a house and we were doing renovations” Greg says,
“Anyway, during this time the pounds started to come off and I felt a lot better.”

“Exercise has that effect!” Cole says, “So did this lifestyle change have any effect on your marriage?”

“You bet, but that wasn’t the only thing.”

“That sucks, did you know before you got married?” Cole says.

“Well yeah, but I figured it was a phase and it would go away, common interests and all.”

“But it didn’t!”

“Nope” Greg laughs, “And that’s enough about that!”

“So you ran some marathons, I have always though about running one.” Cole says, “What made you do it?”

“Well the first one I did because I was feeling so good about myself. I’d lost a lot of weight and I was really enjoying running.” he pauses, “and besides it was there, know what I mean?”

“Yeah, I have been there, in my training class I not only wanted to pass, I wanted to be the best.” Cole says, “You know how hard that is with a pile of guys that feel exactly the same way?”

“I bet, it’s funny, the night before the marathon I slept probably for all of an hour. Every time I closed my eyes I was thinking of running the race over and over again. Thing is sometimes I would finish really well, but other times I was dead last.”

“That sucks, I have had that happen to me in college and in training school before a big test or interview.” Cole says.

“Well when I did run the race it became obvious that I was not going to win it, so my motivation became a) to finish and b) not to be last.”

“That’s fair. So did you meet your goals?”

“Yeah, I finished in 4.5 hours, not the best time but not the worst.”

“So did that make you run the second one?”

“You bet! I trained for months before running in Vancouver.”

“How did you do?”

“Worse” Greg says, “I herniated a disk during the race, so I finished in 5 hours.”

“Oww!” Cole exclaims, “I am surprised you can run at all, obviously it got better.”

“Well it is better, but I am not back to where I was before I had the operation.”

“Well it’s good to see you kept at it, I mean exercising.”

“I had too much invested, going to the gym became part of my coping skills.”

“I hear you, I have to hit the gym regularly for my job and to relieve stress.”

Looking down at the timer Greg sees that they have been running for half an hour. His body is starting to give him signs that it is time to stop.

“Well I gotta go do some stretches,” Greg says as he pushes the cool-down button on the machine.

“I’ll join you, I feel pretty good.”

They head over to the mats and do some stretches. Cole starts to show Greg some exercises that he has never tried before and he can feel the effects on his body. The comradeship is good too. It seems Cole has opened up and is trying to become a true friend.

“Thanks for joining me Cole!” Greg says as they head back to the locker room, “I can never seem to find a guy to work out with.”

“You can’t find someone?” Cole laughs.

“I mean workout with at the gym!” Greg says as he punches Cole in the arm.

“Oww!” Cole says as he put up his fists, “I knew that! A guy like you should have no problems finding a workout partner for the other thing!”

Greg can’t believe how open Cole is, part of it maybe it is because he is not from here. But other guys have started to notice the two of them goofing off.

“Sorry I didn’t mean to hurt you.” Greg says, “Guess I didn’t know my own strength.”

Cole just laughs, he get to the locker and opens the lock. “Wanna take a steam?”

“Sure” Greg says and opens his locker.

They strip off their sweaty clothes grab towels and head to the steam room. The steam room is cold so Cole hits the button to fire the steamer up and pretty soon steam is coming out of the vent and the room starts to cloud up.

“So you going out tonight?” Cole asks.

“Not sure, I have been avoiding the bars lately.”

“Why is that?”

“Have you ever seen that movie ‘Groundhog Day’?”

“The one with Bill Murray?”

“Yeah that one, I feel the bar is like being trapped in that movie, same people same music every week.”

“Which bar you go to?”

“Well normally Buddy’s but I have gone to the others as well.” Greg says, “to me I don’t think I am going to find the right guy at a bar.”

“Well come tonight to the Hawk, maybe you’ll meet him!”

“Would he be someone I know?”

“Maybe.” Cole says.

“You know what Cole?”

“What?” Cole says with a look of concern on his face.

“I think I am going to pass.”

“What! Was it something I said?”

“No, not that at all Cole.” Greg turns to him, “I am looking at meeting someone to do things with besides the bar. Things like today, working out together.”

“I see.” Cole is stunned, he feels rejected but then again he is not sure he is ready to dive into a relationship just yet.

“You are taking this the wrong way Cole, I can tell.” Greg says, “If I go to the bar tonight I will think I am on a date with you and then my expectations will go up.”

“So what’s the matter with that?”

“There’s nothing wrong with that, but I am to the stage where I want to meet someone and get to know them.”

“I think I am starting to see, so you don’t want to go with me as you like me?”

“You’re starting to get the picture Cole. I liked you since you first ‘bumped’ into me!”

“So why not do something about it?”

“Well, I have been burnt in the past and this time I want to take the time to get to know a guy before going any further.” I say, “Besides I think you have some more ‘wild oats’ to sow before settling down.”

Cole thinks about this, “It’s not like he is brushing me off, in fact he has expressed interest in me. But he is going to let me fuck around some more.”

“When I am ready Cole, I’ll let you know.” I pause, “and if you are still interested.”

“Cool, I guess.” Cole says, “never been brushed off like that before.”

“No, no I am not brushing you off, I am just giving us a chance to get to know each other.” Greg looks at Cole’s naked body he is mighty tempted but he decides that he is going to stick to his resolution. At the same time Cole is checking Greg out, he wonders if this will happen to him someday too.

Some time passes with neither of them saying anything.

“I think I know what you are getting at.” Cole says.

“There is a song by Sting called ‘Set them Free.” Greg says, “Basically give someone time to adjust.

“Never really thought about what that song was saying, I just sort of sang along with it.”

“Well that’s where I am at.” Greg stands up and heads to the door, “Gotta take a shower, it’s getting too hot in here!”

Cole follows me “You’ve done a good job on your body Greg.”

“Fuck! You don’t give up do you!”

Cole just laughs, “I wanted to be number one in the training class and I did it.”

“So getting me is going to be easier?” Greg asks sarcastically.

“Well let’s just say its on my ‘to do’ list.”

“Thanks! Hopefully it can happen,” he says and than adds, “But I am in it for the long haul.”

“I am starting to see that.” Cole says as he soaps himself.

Both men take a shower and then go get dressed. A couple of guys are changing in the dressing room. Cole catches Greg’s eye knowingly as he checks some out. He notices the other man is not doing it and turns to him. “I guess this is your gym. Eh?”

“Yeah, I don’t do much cruising here.”

“I guess it’s like your home turf. Tell you the truth I don’t do much in Lacombe either.”

When they are finished dressing, Cole checks himself in the mirror. He notices that a couple of guys check him out and he nods to them.

They leave the gym and head back to the car.

“Where can I get one of the blue and stickers?” Cole asks.

“Well I got mine at a leather shop, I can take you there if you want.”

“Sure, I think I am going to get one for the truck.” Cole says.

After they are moving Cole finds a CD case. He looks through it and pulls one out. It is REM’s Greatest Hits. He skips to the second song, the other one about Andy Kaufman. Cole starts to sing along.

They listen to REM all the way to the store. Cole sings along with all the songs. “You know what this song is about?” Cole says as “What’s the Frequency Kenneth” plays.

“Some guy in Miami that bugged Dan Rather.” Cole says without waiting for the other man to answer.

At the store on Jasper Avenue they park, plug the meter and head inside.

Clint the owner of the store is working, he says hi to Greg when they enter the store. Greg goes over and gives the man a hug.
“Clint this is Cole, he is visiting us from Lacombe.”

“Nice to meet you Cole” as Clint holds out his hand.

“Good to meet you Clint.”

“Cole is here to look at what you’ve got.”

Clint in his normally flirty self raises his eyebrows.

“For products.” Greg says quickly, he knows that even though Clint has a lover he’d be all over Cole and want to take the guy home.

“Depends on what you are looking for. We mainly supply leather stuff though.”

“I see that” Cole says as he looks around, “I think I already bought something of yours at the Hawk, a vest.”

“Quite the gold mine that display at the Hawk is.” Clint says.

“Well we’ll just look around, we’ll holler if we need you.” Cole says.

They look around the store, check out the clothing racks and then go to the back where the ‘toys’ are. The ‘toys’ consist of floggers, handcuffs and various leather goods some of which look like they may hurt. Cole picks up some ball stretchers and asks what they are. When he hears the explanation, he flinches.

The two men look around for about twenty minutes each of them trying out various toys on the other. Clint stares from the front and yells that he wishes he had a camera.

They head back to the front of the store, “How much for a pair of chaps?” Cole asks.

“$300.00 but we are flexible.” Clint says with a wink.

“So how does it work, I don’t see any in my size here.”

“Well I make most of them to fit. Do you have a pair of jeans that you can leave with us?”

Cole says that the jeans he has on are the only pair he had with him. “I can go out and get my gym shorts and leave these with you, I guess.”

“So you want the chaps to have the same fit as those jeans?”

“Yeah, is there a standard design?”

“Well sort of but there are variations.” Clint gets a pad of paper and draws a pair of chaps. He then asks Cole a whole pile of questions and when he is finished he has drawn a picture of something that he figures the guy would like.

“He that looks great! Greg what do you think?” Cole asks.

Greg checks out the design, “That appears to be pretty much like the pair I have. Clint made them for me last year.”

“I’d like to see you in those Greg.” Cole says, “Listen I gotta give Clint my jeans so that he can get busy.” Cole says as he holds out his hand.

Greg hands over the keys and watches Cole run out the door.

“Where the hell did you meet him?” Clint asks.

“Running, he sorta bumped into me!” Greg winks.

Cole re-enters the store and he has his gym shorts. “Got a place I can change?”

Clint shows Cole to the change room and returns to the front of the store.

Cole pays for the chaps and looks at his wallet and keys, his gym shorts have no pockets, and he wonders what to do with them. Clint gives him a bag and Cole smiles.

They are about to head out the door when Cole remembers why they came. He asks if they have any leather stickers. He goes to pay for it but Clint says it’s OK.

“Friendly enough guy!” Cole says, he is laughing and rearranging his crotch.

“Yeah Clint is great, his lover is too!”

“Not sure I’d be that comfortable if I had a lover that flirted like that.” Cole says

Greg doesn’t say anything and he lets Cole digest what he just said.

In front of the hotel Cole asks if Greg if he wants to come up. He has been in this situation before and he doesn’t trust himself. His aim is true but somehow the plan gets fucked up.

Cole reads Greg’s mind, “I guess I should give you my number so that we can keep in touch.”

“I happen to have a pen and paper this time.” Greg laughs.

Cole writes out his number and gives it to Greg, who gets his cell phone and programs the name and number into it.

Greg then writes his number and email address out and gives the paper to Cole.

“So you have my number Greg, don’t be afraid to use it!” Cole says as he leans towards the other man offering his lips.

“Don’t worry Cole, I will.” their lips meet and they kiss.

They break apart and Cole reaches for the handle. “Thanks for the day Greg!”

“No, Thank You Cole!”

He opens the door and heads past the Doorman into the hotel. The doorman stares at Greg and then at Cole. Greg waves to the man as he drives off.

Copyright © 2011 edmontongreg; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..