Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You'd Have to Ask - 33. Chapter 33

Riding the Desk

The days leading up to Friday were pretty uneventful. Cole and Kelly rode the desk. Cole managed to complete the evaluation. She passed with flying colours.

Kelly did ask him if she did something wrong when it became apparent she would have a new partner. He told her that he would be working on a special project for a while. Kelly tried to get some information out of him but he was tight lipped.

The guy in lock-up was finally released on bail. But one of the conditions was he had to check in each week on Tuesday.

The Chief was waiting to see what Edmonton would do before he would recommend the charges be dropped against the man. The chief would have to advise the Prosecutor’s Office of the new twist in the case.

On Friday, Cole let Kelly handle all the inquiries at the counter, which just made his day appear longer and longer. He noticed she was calm and did not get fazed too easily.

The Sergeant called him into the office in the afternoon. Apparently the Chief had advised him of what was going to be happening.

He found out he had to head into Edmonton on Monday for a meeting with Boudreau. He would be in Lacombe on Tuesday and Cole was going to have to handle dropping the charges against Stevens. The rest of the week was left open.

“Hey there Wheeler, weekend is finally here!” Mark says as he comes by the desk.

“Thank frickin God. I though this day would never end!” Cole says as he looked around first to see if anyone was in earshot.

“So what do you have planned, taking Kelly out for a beer?”

“Well normally I would but I have a friend coming into to town, he should be arriving soon.” Cole winks as he says this.

“Ah the D word.” Mark smiles, “I hope you won’t be hurt if I don’t ask you how things go?”

“Well parts as it happens, I have to head into Edmonton Monday, but I will be here Tuesday to share all the details.”

“You two seem pretty happy!” Kelly says as she comes over and joins them.

“It’s Friday Kelly, reason to celebrate!” Cole says.

“Speaking of celebrating, I am headed over to Ugly’s for a beer after work, you want to join me?”
“Normally I would Kelly but I have a friend coming down for the weekend. He is meeting me at my place.” Cole says.

“Well maybe later then, you and your friend could come out for a beer?”

Cole was going to beg off but he decided that maybe it was a good idea. It’s normal for a couple of guys to head out to a bar. Kelly may be more suspicious if they just stayed in.

“Yeah, Kelly, I am not sure what time he is getting in, but maybe we’ll be out later after supper.”

“Well, I’ll see you then.” Kelly says, “Is it Ok if I take off Cole?”

“Sure, I can hold the fort till relief gets here.”

After Kelly has gone Mark looks at Cole with a questioning look.

“Hey, its what two guys would do isn’t it?”

“Yeah, I guess but aren’t you taking a risk?”

“It’s gotta be done sooner or later. Besides…”

“Yeah I see what you are saying, if the two of you are holed up in the house all weekend…never mind I don’t want to know.”

“And that is precisely why it is a good idea to go out tonight.”

“Good luck bud.” Mark says as he goes to the ready room.

Cole heads back to the ready room and stands in the doorway during role call. That way he can cover the desk or get the phone.

Role call is normal until close to the end when the Sergeant mentions some staffing changes. A guy is moving from this shift to be Kelly’s new partner. Several of the guys look at Cole after this is announced. The guy changing shifts takes it in stride. He has been on the force for eight years. “Kelly managed to luck out and get another single guy as a partner,” Cole says to himself.

The relief guy comes back to the desk with Cole and they complete the shift change.

Cole bolts for his truck as fast as he can. He bangs his horn as he passes Mark, before he turns left and heads to Bentley.

Copyright © 2011 edmontongreg; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..