Jump to content
    edmontongreg
  • Author
  • 1,656 Words
  • 845 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You'd Have to Ask - 29. Chapter 29

Dinner with Mom and Dad

Cole pulls up in front of their house and parks. He is a little shaken by the note he found, but not that much. He folds it and puts it in his shirt pocket.

His Mother answers the door and welcomes him in.

Cole hangs he coat and takes his boots off. He is still wearing his uniform. He heads to the Dining room where his father is seated at the table. They lock eyes and his old man does not look away.

“Have a seat Cole,” his father says.

Cole sits down and his mother quickly comes to the table with some serving plates of food. He misses this as when he cooks he only cooks for himself and basically it all fits on one plate. He sees his Mom has made meatloaf and mashed potatoes, one of his favourite meals.

“You go first Cole.” His Mother says and she passes him a spoon.

Cole takes some meatloaf, two scoops of potatoes and some green beans. His plate is full. His Dad then takes his turn, but with smaller portions and then his Mom.

They talk about the neighbourhood and getting ready for winter. His Mom asks what he is doing for Thanksgiving and tells him the rest of the family will be there. Cole says he will come too, if he can.

When they are finished eating Cole and his Dad get up from the table. Cole starts to clear the plates away, but his Mom tells him to go sit in the Living Room.

The two men talk about the Baseball season, which is winding down and about the Hockey season, which is about to start.

Soon Cole can hear the dishwasher going and his Mother joins them in the Living Room.
She sits down and looks at his Dad.

“Cole” his Dad says, “you mother and I have had time to think about this and we just wanted to say that…. I guess it is OK with us, about this thing.”

Cole sits there and he is stunned. He sees that both his Mother and Father are looking for a reaction.

“I don’t know what to say, Mom Dad. I am happy…” Cole gets up and goes to hug his Mother.

“Can I ask why?”

“Well, it wasn’t easy and I did have a talk with the Priest. He helped out a lot. Something about God created everything for a purpose. We had him over for supper and he answered all of our questions.” His Mother says.

“But it wasn’t the Priest that changed our opinion the most.” His Father says, “It was Mark.”

“Mark, he came here?”

“Yes. Mark bought Mary over and the two of them sat with us for quite awhile. They sat with us for quite awhile.”

Cole does not know what to say, he starts to feel tears coming on. He had no idea that Mark would do this, he feels guilty for doubting his at the station.

“The one thing in common all of them stressed was that none of us had anything to do with how you are, that was something that was decided for us.”

“Thanks Mom and Dad. I guess I should thank Mark the next time I see him.”

“Yes you should!”

“Well, I guess you should know this, I told the Sergeant at work today, he is partnering me up with Mark starting next week.”

“How did George take it?” His Dad asks, “He is a pretty level headed guy, but I haven’t know him to be liberal in his ways.”

“The Sergeant was very professional, which I guess he should be.”

His Mother tentatively asks if anyone else knows.

Cole decides that he better not show them the note he received. “No, but it will only be a matter of time, the guy in cells if getting talkative.”

“What are you going to do about him?” his Dad asks.

“Not much I can do, my coming out has sort of removed his leverage.” Cole pauses, “but he doesn’t know that yet.”

“Well I wish we could help some more son, but this is your road to travel and I guess we will be there to support you in whatever way we can.” His Mother says.

“Thank you at least I know that you guys are behind me.”

“Hey how is it going?”

When Cole gets home he strips off his clothes and puts on some sweat pants and a t-shirt. Going back downstairs he puts White Ladder by David Gray on the stereo and cleans up his place.

While he is cleaning he thinks about the day he has had. He wishes that he had someone to share it with. Sure he could phone Kat or even Mark, but he wishes he had someone else.

While cleaning in the kitchen he finds Greg’s phone number. It has been awhile since he talked to the guy, but things have been hectic.

Cole finishes the last of the cleaning and then grabs the cordless phone and heads to the couch. Laying down he dials the number. His heart starts to flutter after he hits the last button. He can feel himself sweat as he waits for the pause before the first ring.

The phone rings several times and Cole figures that a machine is going to kick in.

“Hello” a voice answers.

“Greg?” Cole asks he is not sure, as the voice sounds different.

“Yeah, it me, who’s this?”

“It’s Cole here, the guy from Lacombe.”

“Hey Cole, long time. Sorry if I sound out of breath but I only have a cell phone and it was in my coat pocket. I was tearing the place apart looking for it!”

“That’s OK, at least I got to talk to you instead of a machine.”

“So what’s up Cole?”

“Not much here. If you want the truth I was cleaning and I found your number so I decided to use it.” Cole says.

“Well its good to hear from you. So when are you coming back up here?”

“Not too sure, things are kind of hectic down here. But I really would like to get together again and hang out.”

“Believe it or not so would I” Greg says. He starts to get nervous now, is Cole gonna suggest a date or something.

“So how do you feel like travelling?”

“What you want me to come down there?”
“Yeah, I got lots of room you could stay for the weekend.”

“Are you asking me out on a date Cole?”

Cole feels his face flush, this too is new asking a guy out on a date.

“Cole, you still there?”

“Err yeah Greg, I am.”

“You are what, still there or asking me out on a date?”

Another pause then Cole says, “Both”

“Sure Cole, a weekend away from the city would be great.” Greg says and then he asks, “When should I come down?”

“Well I am working Friday daytime and then due to a shift change I think I will be working days next week. So to answer your question, Friday would be OK or Saturday too.”

“Well then you better give me directions.”

“Sure” Cole relays the information on how to get to his place. Then he gives Greg his cell and home phone numbers.

“Well I’ll see you on the weekend then Cole, thanks for phoning.”

“No problem Greg and thanks.”

“Thanks for what?” Greg thinks to himself and then says “No problem man.”

“Well bye for now Greg.”

“Bye Cole, have a great week, I know I will.”

Cole hears the dial tone as Greg hangs up. That’s not exactly what he expected to happen, but telling Greg about the latest events face to face is way better than on the phone.

Cole decides to go and make up the spare room. He remembers what Greg said about taking it slow. When he is done he tries to decide if he should call Kat. He decides against it, he wants to do this all under his own steam.

When Cole gets back to the living room he hears the familiar chords of the song Babylon start up. He sits on the couch and sings along
“Let go your heart, let go your head, and feel it now.”

The song is just ending when he hears a car pull up in the drive. Cole heads to the door to see Mark getting out of a Police Cruiser.

Cole opens the door and lets Mark in.

“What brings you ‘round Mark?”

“Nothing much Cole, I just decided to come out and see you on my supper break.”

“Well glad to see you, I was going to phone and thank you but I wanted to do it in person.”

“I guess you spoke with your parents?”

“Yeah, Mom called and asked me over for supper. They told me everything is OK and I guess I have you and Mary to thank for that.”

“Hey man it’s the least I could do, you’re my best friend!”

“And you’re mine!” Cole says, “Its it too much to ask for a hug?’

Mark doesn’t answer he just stands there and lets Cole hug him. He embraces Cole back and they slap each other’s backs.

When they break apart Mark says he better be going. He also notices that his friend is pretty red in the face. He doesn’t want to embarrass him. Mark is feeling pretty emotional too.

“Thanks for dropping by, I’ll see you tomorrow Mark.” Cole says as he watches Mark get back in the car.

Mark starts the car and taps the horn as he drives away.

Cole heads back in the house, he turns off the lights and heads up stairs. When he is in bed he says a prayer of thanks to God. Cole doesn’t pray often, but he feels he needs to tonight.

Copyright © 2011 edmontongreg; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..