Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    Headstall
  • Author
  • 3,141 Words
  • 8,089 Views
  • 48 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.

Morningstar: The Malaise - 25. Chapter 25 A Pack Mentality

Changing priorities... looking forward... not back....

Morningstar: The Malaise

 

 

Chapter 25

 

 

“But, he’s human.”

“Uh huh. I don’t think that’s the problem, though.”

“You don’t think your brother being human is a problem?”

“No… do you?”

“Well, yeah, kind of.” Tobyn’s face exhibited a certain amount of displeasure to go with his shock at the news.

“I don’t understand. Miss Sybil says it happens. Shifters have had humans as true mates in the past.”

“Yeah, but….”

“But what? From all I understand about genetics, adding fresh blood to our limited gene pool is a damn good idea. You said yourself we’re all the same until our first shift. Is this like, a prejudice thing?” Kellar shifted on the picnic bench so they were facing each other.

“No… I don’t know. Maybe. Maybe I’m too protective of our kind. We’ve already talked about this. I told you I can’t help feeling some people would want to eradicate us if they were aware of our existence. They’d cheer murderers like the Reznicks on.”

“Whoa… Tobyn, that’s a pretty narrow view of things, and I don’t think it’s in the best interest of the pack to be exclusionary at this point. This isn’t about the whole world finding out about us; we’re talking about one human who already knows about shifters. You’re right that there would be a small group who’d want us wiped from the earth, but there are lots of decent people in the world.

“Babe,” Kellar continued calmly despite a little disappointment. “There will always be those who react out of irrational fear, but lumping everyone together is both dangerous and unfair. If it did somehow work out between Warren and Adelin, they would be one more pair of mates supplying the energy we know is needed, and don’t they deserve this opportunity? This is Adelin’s only chance to be with her earth mate, human or not. We just have to make sure we can trust Warren.”

“I… I’m sorry. I sound like a terrible person. I know you’re right. I wasn’t thinking about the big picture the way you always do. I was more concerned about the complications, and that really isn’t fair. If the earth mother chose a human mate for Adelin, who am I to question it? It’s just… we’ve always done everything we could to prevent humans from learning of us. The idea of our secret getting out is scary as hell. Sorry.”

“You do not sound like a terrible person and I don’t want you to be sorry, but I do want you to see the benefits… if you’d just think about it for a while. You always put the pack first, and I love that about you. We just need to be more adaptable and look at things in a new way.”

“You mean I do.”

“No, I mean we… this is all new to me, and I had to think long and hard about what I should do when I realized the significance of their matching patterns. The last thing I wanted was to see Warren’s ugly mug again, but I learned from you the pack always has to come first, and my personal feelings were secondary. I’m ahead of you on this situation because I’ve had the information since the day we went to see Denver. See… I was right that I should have talked to you first.”

“No… no, you shouldn’t have. You made the right decision. You see it all from that healer’s point of view of yours, and I love that about you. This just shows me you’re on a mission to cure the malaise, and for the first time, I feel like I really have a partner in this… one who’s just a little bit smarter than me when it comes to some things. Plus, you’re smoking hot.” Tobyn’s grin eliminated the tension that had been swirling around their conversation.

“Just a little smarter?”

“Yeah, a tiny bit. You’re kind of dumb about one thing.”

“First you build me up, and now you’re insulting me?” Kellar asked jokingly, elated the strain between them had disappeared so quickly.

Tobyn smirked. “I just figure it’s my job as your mate to point out when you say something stupid.”

“What did I say that was stupid?”

“That I always put the pack first, and that your personal feelings are secondary. If you were as smart as you normally are, you would know you come first with me, now and always. My priorities have changed.” His voice had softened till it would’ve been barely audible to a human, but Kellar heard it clearly, and he saw the blush that accompanied the declaration.

“Looks like I got me a romantic one too. Plus he’s hot as hell.” He laughed when the blush deepened.

“Guilty… about the romantic part, but it’s your fault.”

Kellar looked into those green-copper eyes and the love he saw made his heart do that skipping thing again. He reached over and claimed his mate’s hand. “Blame me all you want.”

“I wasn’t complaining, doc. So, what do you think the problem is?”

Kellar groaned. Romance was being put on hold. “The fact it’s my foster-brother. He’s always been such a bastard. And now I find out he’s a drug addict and just getting out of rehab.”

Tobyn squeezed his hand. “Yet, you invited him here. Is it only for the sake of the pack?”

“It’s why I called… but it’s not the entire reason I’m sending him a train ticket.”

Tobyn waited.

“I can’t believe I actually felt sorry for him. No, not just that. I can’t believe I care about him at all. His mom and dad have thrown him away, and he has no family but me. Weird, eh? We’re not related, we have nothing in common, and I hated the prick, and yet he feels like my brother… enough that I feel responsible for him. Logically, to me, it makes no sense whatsoever.”

“Hey, it’s who you are, and no joke this time. You’re that guy who rescued the kitten and cured the fox, and probably hundreds more creatures no one cared about. Warren needs you, and you responded. I’m not related to a lot of members in the pack, but they’re my family… and yours now. Warren is your family. The black sheep maybe, but he still counts. You did the right thing because you’re a good person. There’s this decency about you I love and admire… it makes me want to be a better man.”

Another hand squeeze, and Kellar’s troubled expression cleared. This guy was one in a million. “Thanks. I won’t risk Adelin or the pack, but I have to give him this opportunity to try and prove he would make her a decent mate. It’s only right they get their chance to have what we have.”

“Good. That’s settled then. Thanks for straightening me out. Now, how are we going to do this?”

“Let’s get back on the road, and we’ll discuss it.”

“Sounds good. I need some saliva first, though.” Tobyn wiggled his eyebrows.

“Here?”

“Yup. Not moving till I get some, and that old guy over there pumping gas isn’t going to care.”

“Got me a demanding one, too.”

“Uh huh. Plant one on me.”

Kellar did, in the bright sunlight, and when he pulled away, Tobyn broke into a heart-stopping smile.

“You’re getting really good at that.”

“Really? I think I need a lot more practice.”

“As long as it’s only me you practice on, then I agree you need to work on it some more.” Laughing, they headed for the truck. “Kellar?”

“Yeah?”

“Is Warren ugly, for real?”

“What? What are you talking about?”

“You said you didn’t want to see his ugly mug again… so, is Adelin going to be disappointed?”

Kellar laughed. “The asshole is ugly to me, but no, if she meets him, she should be fairly happy, I guess. Then again, who knows what the jerk looks like now?”

 

 

The first people they saw when they pulled up to the lodge were Elinor and Denver. It was as if they were waiting specifically for them as they stood, almost huddled, on the granite steps. The greeting from Tobyn’s mother was filled with both relief and concern as she looked first into her son’s eyes, and then into Kellar’s, as if needing confirmation things were good between them.

Tobyn apologized for the short text as Elinor began to push for information. “Mom, I’m sorry I worried you. We have a lot to talk about, but for now we’re fine, and all this can wait. Kellar wants to get something done before we get into everything that’s happened since I left.” He gave her a reassuring grin.

“I just need a little time on the computer because I want to get some travel stuff organized right away.”

Elinor gave them both a curious look at the mention of travel. “Of course. I can be patient. Go ahead and use the far office… the one on the right at the end of the hall, and when you’re ready, we can get together in mine. Denver has to go back to the garage anyway, don’t you, dear?”

“Uh huh.” His face showed amusement as he looked from Elinor to her son and back again. “I have some more organizing to do before we re-open for business. I’ll be back for supper in a couple of hours. Thanks for helping me sort out our pricing and the invoicing process, sweetie. Good luck with that ‘being patient’ thing,” he teased.

“Oh stop, you,” Elinor said, relaxing as they shared an understanding look.

Kellar realized in that moment just how tough the waiting and the not knowing had been on Elinor. He flickered and watched the mates’ combined colors interlace in a slow motion dance just like his and Tobyn’s did. “Denver, do you by any chance want some assistance in the garage… like an apprentice?”

Denver pulled an adoring gaze away from Elinor. “That’s exactly what I need!”

There was no longer even a glimmer of surliness to this once unfriendly man, and Kellar responded to the enthusiasm by smiling. Who’d of thought, after their first meetings the year before, he end up liking this guy?

“Surely, you’re not interested in being a mechanic, are you?”

He chuckled. “Oh no, not me… I have someone else in mind. I just wanted to make sure you could use a helper before I made the suggestion.”

“Elinor and I were just talking about this, so if you can find me anyone with a mechanical aptitude, I’d be grateful. I don’t want to start off by turning away work.”

“Okay. I’ll let you know in a few days, if that’s all right?”

“Super.” Denver had turned his attention back to his mate. “See… things are looking up already… gotta go.” He gave her a kiss and said goodbye to Kellar and Tobyn before walking purposely to his big-ass truck.

“He sure looks happy,” Tobyn commented.

“We both are, dear. He’s a wonderful man, and he treats me so well.” Elinor looked completely smitten as they watched him drive away.

“I know the feeling, Mom.” Tobyn laced his fingers with Kellar’s.

Turning her attention to the boys, she focused on their joined hands. “I was so worried for you two. It was such an awful way for it to play out, but you both should know the entire pack is behind you. No one enjoyed watching something so personal.”

“That’s great to know, Mom. What happened, happened, but what matters is it all worked out. I couldn’t ask for a better mate… and I would do anything for him, but I want to ask you something.” His hand squeezed Kellar’s, and he returned the gesture. “Were you disappointed even a little bit?”

“That your mate is a man? Oh, Tobyn. You worry way too much, and you should know me better than that.”

“That’s what I tell him,” Kellar interjected with a teasing grin. Tobyn bumped Kellar’s shoulder in objection, but he didn’t take his eyes off his mother’s face.

“I couldn’t be any happier than I am, and I’m not only talking about Denver.” A little giggle escaped before she became serious. “The first time I saw you together, I saw the closeness. I didn’t know you were mates, but once I did, it wasn’t much of a surprise. Kellar is your destiny, and I am the farthest thing from disappointed. It’s great having another handsome son to brag about. Does that answer your dumb question?”

“Yes, Mom, it does. It’s what I thought… but, I needed to hear it. He is handsome, isn’t he? I couldn’t be any happier either. I know there’s nothing he wouldn’t do for me, and he doesn’t even mind that I do dumb shit, or ask dumb questions.”

His self-deprecation was adorable, and when he looked upward at his mate, Kellar had to again struggle to calm his heart. The declaration in front of Elinor touched him deeply. “Destiny. I like that,” Kellar said just before his lips touched Tobyn’s. Elinor’s giggle brought the kiss to a quick end, and caused matching blushes on her son and his mate.

 

Tobyn, snickering, took over navigating the CN train travel site when Kellar got supremely frustrated. Twenty-five minutes later, he had passage booked from Moncton, New Brunswick, to Union station in Toronto, and then onto Ontario Northland Railway to the town of Cochrane. The last stop before the Polar Bear Excursion continued on to the road-inaccessible Moosonee, would bring Warren to within a four to five hour car ride. It was as close as they could get him by train. He pumped a fist in the air when the entire trip was confirmed in an email, and Kellar high-fived him. Warren was in for a long haul, leaving at 8:55 the next day, and arriving forty-eight hours later. Ontario time would be 7:50a.m., and the ticket would be waiting at the station for pick up.

The dent to Kellar’s credit card didn’t bother him in the least… however, it would if he had to arrange a return trip. He was counting on this troubled nemesis from his past not letting him down. He wheeled an extra chair over beside his mate, and proceeded to compose an email containing the itinerary that would get him to his destination, along with a reminder to get to the depot early enough to pick up his ticket. His finger hovered over send as he looked sideways at Tobyn, enjoying the warmth of their legs pressed against one another. “What should we tell Adelin? Should we wait until I talk to Warren?”

“It depends. First of all, are we going to the train station to meet him, or are we going to try to book him on a bus that will bring him closer?”

“Can we do that… get him on a bus to here?”

“I have no idea, but it’ll take nothing to check online… if I do it,” Tobyn teased.

“Ha ha. You know… I’m not sure what you’re thinking, but I rather he not have any idea of the pack’s location unless I’m convinced we can trust him.”

“Okay… no bus then, but are you seriously worried about that?”

“No… I guess not. I heard a man desperate to turn his life around with no viable options… he’s afraid of falling back into drugs, and he feels alone. So, no… but still….”

“Okay. Then we side with caution and go meet him there. We’ll have to leave in the middle of the night unless you want to go the day before and get a hotel room?”

“We could, but the more time we spend here, the more energy we’re spreading through the pack, and it’s really not that long of a drive.”

“Man, you’re always thinking way ahead of me.”

“I’m the healer in this relationship, remember?”

“Yes, but it’s not only that… you care. About your brother, Adelin, the pack… you’re amazing.”

Kellar added to the email that he would be there to meet Warren upon arrival, and pushed send. Standing, he moved behind the sitting man and wrapped his arms around him. “You missed what I care most about… you. You’re my priority too, without any doubt, and you have been from the moment I laid eyes on you.”

“Mmmmm.” Tobyn relaxed into the embrace, bringing Kellar’s hand to his lips. “You could get lucky with talk like that.”

“I’m getting lucky right now… being able to wrap my arms around you, and smell your skin,” he murmured into his mate’s ear, getting a shiver in response.

“You wanna go home?” Tobyn uttered in a breathy voice.

“Uh huh, I do, but you know your mom is waiting for us, and we have to tell her.”

Tobyn detached himself, standing up and turning to partially sit against the desk. “Tell her what? What is it that can’t wait until later?”

“Reznik.”

“Yeah, that’s what I figured you meant. She’s going to freak.”

“Probably, but she needs to know, Tobyn. We have to prepare the pack in case we’re targeted by the younger one.”

“I know… I’m stalling because it’s going to be hard to tell my mom I killed someone… ripped their fucking throat right out.”

“You saved someone… me… and a lot more in the process. Please stop thinking of it or yourself that way.”

“I’d prefer not thinking of any of it, to be honest. I don’t regret it, and I would do it again, but I can still feel his flesh coming away in my mouth.”

Kellar moved close and reclaimed their embrace. “I get it. But maybe talking about it will help put it in perspective.”

“To my mom? Don’t think so. I’m still her little boy, you know.”

“Come on. Trust me. When you explain it to her, you’ll see, because she’s going to hug you and thank you for what you did. I know it was hard, but the courage you showed is what allowed us to get to here.”

“You and me, you mean?

“That’s exactly what I mean.”

The email alert on the still open laptop sounded. They both read Warren’s message at the same time. “He’s eager, isn’t he?”

“Well, he should be, because we’re throwing him a lifeline… if he doesn’t fuck it up.”

“You just asked me to trust you, Kellar. I do, and you should too.”

“You think so?”

“I know that whatever happens, you did the right thing… you always do.”

Kellar thought back to his decision in the woods that morning… yeah, he’d done the right thing then, for sure. Breathing in his mate’s scent, he could sense his happy wolf’s agreement.

A huge thank you to my wonderful editor, Timothy M., and to all those who support this story :) .

Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 80
  • Love 29
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.

Story Discussion Topic

Open Club · 93 members · Last active

A fan club for Headstall to chat about his stories as well as home to CoTT House of Cards Chat Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



As Tobyn and Kellar deepen their mutual trust, their love and faith will fan out in the pack...there's the energy they're talking about. Now let their hope in Warren be realized, and the whole world will start shifting for the pack...wonderful chapter! Of course, I want more!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So, I thought I commented last chapter ugh! This is going to be xl... :P
It was brilliant adding that twist with Warren. You had us ambivalent toward him because of his relationship with our hero, and in one chapter I'm thinking, well crap. He got a raw deal, and maybe now we will see he isn't so bad because he has to redeem himself for Adelin's and the pack.. Classic Gary..

 

Here is what's on my mind this chapter.. Kellar grew up outside the knowledge of pack life. He has no reason not to be wary of this new life. But, he's embraced it and for all intents has accepted his role in the future of Morningstar. Even when that means accepting Warren of all people.
Then there is Tobyn who's grown up knowing what it was, seeing it change, and now, knowing how it could be again. Yet, he is the one who is jaded. Not that I blame him at all, he's seen how easy it was to lose it all or come close. One would think he'd be eager to get the pack back to what it was, after all he was willing to sacrifice.
Its just an interesting dynamic. I guess Tobyn will question, Kellar will reason and that balance will lead to great things for the pack.
I like that you don't hit us over the head with those nuances.

 

I hope Warren really is looking to make a change cause Morningstar could be good for him.
As always I'm enjoying seeing our guys grow closer, deepening their bond.
Theres still the mystery of Reznik to deal with..

 

Great chapter Gary.. (End ramble)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh Gary, you're such a tease. Spring the surprise of Warren and Adelin on us, then make us wait at least one more chapter for the end result of him meeting the Pack. Evil. :)
I know it'll be at least one because we have to have the talk with Eleanor about Resnick, and then going to get Warren which means a fuller disclosure of what's going on, then getting him back to Morningstar...only then might he get to meet Adeline...so it could be three chapters yet.
Not that I'm complaining--okay I am--but you're really twisting the screws here, my dear friend. :)
Come on, don't make us wait any longer than we have too--give our Tim a kick in the butt to edit faster. :)
Just awesome, my dearest G-Man.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I really hope warren ends up deserving the faith that Kellar is putting in him. I think T and K are smart to meet Warren at the train instead of taking him to the pack right now. If it turns out he's still unstable and on drugs then it would be painful for Adelin to meet him and maybe have to walk away.

 

It's wonderful to see Elinor so happy with her mate and if it works out, Warren might have a place in the pack, besides being Adelin's mate. I think he'll need that in order to gain some self respect again.

 

I guess I'll have to be patient and wait another week until we see Kellar's foster brother again ;)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/04/2016 07:02 AM, Parker Owens said:

As Tobyn and Kellar deepen their mutual trust, their love and faith will fan out in the pack...there's the energy they're talking about. Now let their hope in Warren be realized, and the whole world will start shifting for the pack...wonderful chapter! Of course, I want more!

Thanks, Parker! I appreciate hearing your thoughts, and I agree. As their bond strengthens, so does the pack. Things are changing... thank you for the review and the support... sometimes, I really need the encouragement... cheers, my friend... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Gary...CG has your number...you're a tease...how long did it for Kellar, Tobyn, and his mom to go on the road trip to find Denver??? Great job as always...until next week...
Jay

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Not a ton to say here Gary. Good chapter overall, good to see Kellar and Tobyn continuing to define their relationship and get to know each other's strengths and weaknesses. This was definitely more introspective and just mostly setup for what's to come. In all honesty I'd say that the talk with Elinor could easily have been fit within this chapter, just to move things forward a bit more. However I'm assuming that you've kept these chapters shorter to maintain the posting schedule.

 

I will say that, even though I never would have guessed Warren, I was glad to see that I was thinking something along the lines of where you're headed. Morningstar needed new blood. I do hope it works out well with Warren, at least he's eager to start over. Onto the next one!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hmm... Quite the gamble to bring an ex-drug addict straight out of rehab to the pack. Not always the most reliable of people, but Warren has perhaps turned his corner. If they decide to let him stay, Kellar will have to work on forgiving him for both their sakes. Calling Warren asshole and jerk isn't a good start for Warren's inclusion in the pack, even if it's only to Tobyn. As a healer, Kellar should know how bad toxic words can infest a mind. If he truly feels that way about Warren, it seems really weird to introduce him to Adelin. Earthmate or not, does he really want her living with a jerk?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/04/2016 07:40 AM, Defiance19 said:

So, I thought I commented last chapter ugh! This is going to be xl... :P

It was brilliant adding that twist with Warren. You had us ambivalent toward him because of his relationship with our hero, and in one chapter I'm thinking, well crap. He got a raw deal, and maybe now we will see he isn't so bad because he has to redeem himself for Adelin's and the pack.. Classic Gary..

 

Here is what's on my mind this chapter.. Kellar grew up outside the knowledge of pack life. He has no reason not to be wary of this new life. But, he's embraced it and for all intents has accepted his role in the future of Morningstar. Even when that means accepting Warren of all people.

Then there is Tobyn who's grown up knowing what it was, seeing it change, and now, knowing how it could be again. Yet, he is the one who is jaded. Not that I blame him at all, he's seen how easy it was to lose it all or come close. One would think he'd be eager to get the pack back to what it was, after all he was willing to sacrifice.

Its just an interesting dynamic. I guess Tobyn will question, Kellar will reason and that balance will lead to great things for the pack.

I like that you don't hit us over the head with those nuances.

 

I hope Warren really is looking to make a change cause Morningstar could be good for him.

As always I'm enjoying seeing our guys grow closer, deepening their bond.

Theres still the mystery of Reznik to deal with..

 

Great chapter Gary.. (End ramble)

With Tobyn, it's a them against us, or more accurately, an us against the world mentality... and it's been that way for a while as the pack waited for it's extinction. He needs to open back up, and he is, with Kellar's help. Change isn't easy for him, but it doesn't take him long to come around. By the end of the chapter he is the one telling Kellar to trust himself... that's our Tobyn :) and why I love him so much. I'm pleased you like the Warren re-introduction in the previous chapter... I wanted readers to see Karen in all her cold glory... I was quite proud of keeping that under wraps while leaving small clues. Classic Gary? You're probably right... at least... it might look that way. Thanks for another awesome review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/04/2016 08:08 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Oh Gary, you're such a tease. Spring the surprise of Warren and Adelin on us, then make us wait at least one more chapter for the end result of him meeting the Pack. Evil. :)

I know it'll be at least one because we have to have the talk with Eleanor about Resnick, and then going to get Warren which means a fuller disclosure of what's going on, then getting him back to Morningstar...only then might he get to meet Adeline...so it could be three chapters yet.

Not that I'm complaining--okay I am--but you're really twisting the screws here, my dear friend. :)

Come on, don't make us wait any longer than we have too--give our Tim a kick in the butt to edit faster. :)

Just awesome, my dearest G-Man.

Hey, buddy. I'm writing a book, not a chapter, so sometimes there will be a tease :) . Evil? Twisting screws? Maybe, but I wrote this story continually, so the pacing is what it is, my dear friend. I'll try to make Warren's part worth the wait hehe. And Our Tim edits quickly, so no kick required :) . Thanks for your support and the great review... you made me chuckle... cheers and love... Gary xoxo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/04/2016 01:16 PM, LitLover said:

I really hope warren ends up deserving the faith that Kellar is putting in him. I think T and K are smart to meet Warren at the train instead of taking him to the pack right now. If it turns out he's still unstable and on drugs then it would be painful for Adelin to meet him and maybe have to walk away.

 

It's wonderful to see Elinor so happy with her mate and if it works out, Warren might have a place in the pack, besides being Adelin's mate. I think he'll need that in order to gain some self respect again.

 

I guess I'll have to be patient and wait another week until we see Kellar's foster brother again ;)

Warren is an unknown, so Kellar wants to be certain he's changed. Imagine the fears he has of introducing a guy to the pack he remembers as a real ass and bully. This has to be hard for him. I must admit I enjoy the Elinor/Denver love story. That poor man was barely living before he met the pack leader. Now, he is vibrant and loving... fulfilled. You might have to wait longer than a week to see Warren, my friend... please be patient :) . Thanks for the support... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/04/2016 04:39 PM, JayT said:

Gary...CG has your number...you're a tease...how long did it for Kellar, Tobyn, and his mom to go on the road trip to find Denver??? Great job as always...until next week...

Jay

Hey, jt! I don't mean to be a tease, but maybe I am :) . There are layers to this story, and I hope that the ebbs and flows work for the readers. There is an end game to all this, so don't expect quick resolutions... thanks for another awesome review, my good friend, and for your support... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/04/2016 11:08 PM, spikey582 said:

Not a ton to say here Gary. Good chapter overall, good to see Kellar and Tobyn continuing to define their relationship and get to know each other's strengths and weaknesses. This was definitely more introspective and just mostly setup for what's to come. In all honesty I'd say that the talk with Elinor could easily have been fit within this chapter, just to move things forward a bit more. However I'm assuming that you've kept these chapters shorter to maintain the posting schedule.

 

I will say that, even though I never would have guessed Warren, I was glad to see that I was thinking something along the lines of where you're headed. Morningstar needed new blood. I do hope it works out well with Warren, at least he's eager to start over. Onto the next one!

Hey, spikey! Thanks. I have to say the length of chapters has nothing to do with a posting schedule. These chapters are part of what I hope will be a book someday... maybe not... but that is a hopeful goal. With 80,000 words posted, it works out to an average of 3200 per, and that was pretty much my goal. My other stories have longer chapters, but this was a conscious decision to change my approach for this one. You're not the only one to think they are too short... I guess that's a fail on my part... thanks for sticking with me, and for the great review... I always love hearing your thoughts. Yeah, the pack is experiencing an evolution, and new blood can only be a good thing, so we'll see whether Warren is a plus or not... cheers, buddy... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment

We say they're too short cuz we like it, that's all. Not cuz they are really too short. Nice chapter. ..

  • Like 3
Link to comment

We're getting to see several people showing pack mentality and looking forward. Not only Kellar in relation to his foster-brother, but also Tobyn after Kellar gave him a small 'lecture' on prejudice. I fell over laughing at Tobyn calling a potentially future shifter a 'black sheep' but he was right about why Kellar would see and treat Warren as his brother. It's part of the shifter mentality to feel close to your pack brothers and sisters.
I agree with my Swedish friend that Kellar needs to stop looking back at and talking about the awful person Warren was. He needed to discuss it with Tobyn, so he can help plan and evaluate Warren, but there should be no mention of it to Elinor or anyone else. Give Warren a fresh start, tell him no one else knows about his past and it's up to him to start over and look forward. Like Tobyn I have trust in Kellar making the right choice in giving Warren a second chance - and he didn't even hear the talk they had.
Another person who has stopped looking back and has plunged right into the pack is Denver. Like Kellar I enjoyed seeing the man so happy and optimistic, teasing Elinor and telling her everything will be all right. I have the feeling that with his support Elinor will be able to shoulder the leadership responsibility on her own until Tobyn is ready to become Alpha. He has the right mentality for that in spite of telling Kellar that he comes first now, not the pack. Of course your earth mate comes first, but if he's working for the good of the pack too, all is perfect.
Tobyn had a last look back on his old plans for his life with the question he asked his mom. She dealt with it perfectly, as we (and Kellar, lol) knew she would, but I can understand his need to hear it. I also liked to hear her say the whole pack was behind the new earth mates, but that may also be from fear of getting a visit and a talking to from the terrible trio of Sibyl, Elinor and Tilly. :lol: Anyway, Tobyn and Kellar are definitely looking forward to doing more joining... :P

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Sigh. I thought I had posted a review to this back when I read it, but apparently that wasn't the case... well, Tim's thoughts generally echo mine, so I am just going to hold up a neon sign pointing there. Nice work. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/05/2016 07:39 AM, Puppilull said:

Hmm... Quite the gamble to bring an ex-drug addict straight out of rehab to the pack. Not always the most reliable of people, but Warren has perhaps turned his corner. If they decide to let him stay, Kellar will have to work on forgiving him for both their sakes. Calling Warren asshole and jerk isn't a good start for Warren's inclusion in the pack, even if it's only to Tobyn. As a healer, Kellar should know how bad toxic words can infest a mind. If he truly feels that way about Warren, it seems really weird to introduce him to Adelin. Earthmate or not, does he really want her living with a jerk?

Hey, Puppilull! You're right it is a gamble. Kellar is really torn, but decided to put the pack first. The Warren he remembers is hard to forget, so Kellar is a little bit at war with himself. You are so right about the power of words, and if there is to be a workable arrangement, he will have to change his opinion. It would appear the ball is in Warren's court. The good thing about Kellar is that healer heart of his... we'll see where it takes him with this new challenge. Thanks for the great review and your support, my friend... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/06/2016 10:34 AM, Bucket1 said:

Poor TtD is an insecure little pup... good thing he has a solid man in his life now

Tobyn keeps having his comfort zone assaulted, and it's something that needs to happen. The pack has to enter the present, and not let fears of what happened in the past deter their new progress. Tobyn, once he's pointed in the right direction, does adapt. As you say, it's good he has a guy like Kellar to make him question his antiquated notions. Thanks for your support and the review, my friend... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/06/2016 02:11 PM, Mikiesboy said:

We say they're too short cuz we like it, that's all. Not cuz they are really too short. Nice chapter. ..

Thanks, tim. Part of me knows that, but it's become a recurring theme, and that makes me question my approach... never a bad thing when it comes to future stories. Thanks, buddy, for your support and the review... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/06/2016 05:29 PM, Timothy M. said:

We're getting to see several people showing pack mentality and looking forward. Not only Kellar in relation to his foster-brother, but also Tobyn after Kellar gave him a small 'lecture' on prejudice. I fell over laughing at Tobyn calling a potentially future shifter a 'black sheep' but he was right about why Kellar would see and treat Warren as his brother. It's part of the shifter mentality to feel close to your pack brothers and sisters.

I agree with my Swedish friend that Kellar needs to stop looking back at and talking about the awful person Warren was. He needed to discuss it with Tobyn, so he can help plan and evaluate Warren, but there should be no mention of it to Elinor or anyone else. Give Warren a fresh start, tell him no one else knows about his past and it's up to him to start over and look forward. Like Tobyn I have trust in Kellar making the right choice in giving Warren a second chance - and he didn't even hear the talk they had.

Another person who has stopped looking back and has plunged right into the pack is Denver. Like Kellar I enjoyed seeing the man so happy and optimistic, teasing Elinor and telling her everything will be all right. I have the feeling that with his support Elinor will be able to shoulder the leadership responsibility on her own until Tobyn is ready to become Alpha. He has the right mentality for that in spite of telling Kellar that he comes first now, not the pack. Of course your earth mate comes first, but if he's working for the good of the pack too, all is perfect.

Tobyn had a last look back on his old plans for his life with the question he asked his mom. She dealt with it perfectly, as we (and Kellar, lol) knew she would, but I can understand his need to hear it. I also liked to hear her say the whole pack was behind the new earth mates, but that may also be from fear of getting a visit and a talking to from the terrible trio of Sibyl, Elinor and Tilly. :lol: Anyway, Tobyn and Kellar are definitely looking forward to doing more joining... :P

Hey, Tim. First of all, thanks for getting the title as you always do. As far as Kellar not saying what's on his mind, or holding something back from the pack leader, or really, anyone involved, would not be Kellar's way. You;re right that he needs to let go of his childhood perceptions of Warren, however warranted, in order for this to have any kind of chance. This is a hard situation for Kellar, but the call to Karen helped, I think, and I'm glad you have the faith in Kellar that he will do the right thing.

I'm so glad you brought up Denver. He is a changed man himself... proof we all deserve that second chance. His happiness makes me very happy, and while small, that little part was a joy to write. He has the makings of a father figure, judging by what we are seeing from him now. LOL to the terrible trio. And yeah, the joining is a wonderful thing :) . Thanks for another awesome, well-thought out review, my friend... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/07/2016 02:11 AM, Lux Apollo said:

Sigh. I thought I had posted a review to this back when I read it, but apparently that wasn't the case... well, Tim's thoughts generally echo mine, so I am just going to hold up a neon sign pointing there. Nice work. :)

Hey, lux! Yeah, I haven't been hearing much from you lately, so I wondered if you were drifting away. I'm so happy you're not :) . I love getting your read on the chapters, buddy. I like the neon sign... thanks for the support... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Okay. This is kind of an interim chapter - prep for the next big step. Reassurances all around, and a feeling that everyone is onboard. Kellar and Tobyn continue to redefine their closeness, and we continue to learn more about the shifter mentality - both towards themselves, and towards humans. Great!

 

We are on the road (heh) to some interesting events here. As Schwarzenegger once said, "I'll be back!"

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/04/2017 07:48 AM, Geron Kees said:

Okay. This is kind of an interim chapter - prep for the next big step. Reassurances all around, and a feeling that everyone is onboard. Kellar and Tobyn continue to redefine their closeness, and we continue to learn more about the shifter mentality - both towards themselves, and towards humans. Great!

 

We are on the road (heh) to some interesting events here. As Schwarzenegger once said, "I'll be back!"

I see this helped clear up some confusion :) . Glad you liked it... and I'll be here when you return... thanks and cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I like the decision Kellar did with his brother. And I understand it. There are people in life, which are so much family, no matter that you know you maybe have struggle with them.

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..