Jump to content

Morningstar: The Malaise

   (44 reviews)

Kellar has become an island unto himself. That is, until he meets Tobyn, the first shifter who will actually talk to him.

I wanted to challenge myself, so here is another leap for me. My first shifter story. Please bear with me as I take us on a little journey, and keep in mind life and love do work in mysterious ways.
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (50 members)

  • Action Packed 40
  • Addictive/Pacing 48
  • Characters 47
  • Chills 7
  • Cliffhanger 31
  • Compelling 18
  • Feel-Good 17
  • Humor 11
  • Smoldering 26
  • Tearjerker 33
  • Unique 42
  • World Building 41

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

LitLover

   20 of 20 members found this review helpful 20 / 20 members

It can be really easy to stick with a tried and true story model, and writing shifter stories is no exception:  Find your mate, instantly fall in love, live happily ever after.  I don’t blame authors who use that model.  Why not use it if it works?  With Morningstar Gary explored the shifter genre, but managed to make give us a story that was fresh and new.  There was no ‘insta-love,’ and the characters worked to understand each other and the lives they were building together.  There were twists and turns that will keep you guessing, characters you will love, and characters you will hate.  Heck, I found myself sniping at Tobyn more than once in the beginning of the story.  ;)  It’s hard for me to pinpoint my favourite part of Morningstar, but I think if I had to choose it would be something I love about all of Gary’s stories:  the conversations the leads have with one another.  I love their little moments together… the sharing of their thoughts, even their frustrations and disappointments.  I would highly recommend Morningstar to those who love shifter stories… and even those who don’t.  I think the people who don’t will find themselves pleasantly surprised.

  • Like 4
  • Love 10
Link to review
dughlas

   16 of 16 members found this review helpful 16 / 16 members

There are Shifter stories and then there are Shifter stories. Morningstar falls into the later, because it was a labor of love on the part of the author. He wanted this tale to be different not a rehash of the usual tropes and he achieved that. Those of us who know Gary accuse him of being an unrepentant romantic. There is romance here. Most of all there is a growing sense of belonging. To becoming part of something even greater than yourself. I, like many, would love to see additional tales of the wolves of Morningstar. I think after reading you would agree.

  • Like 5
  • Love 8
Link to review
Timothy M.

   15 of 15 members found this review helpful 15 / 15 members

I am a fan of shifter stories, and I think I have read most of the ones posted on GA. Some of them follow the same general pattern, others forge new paths, and both kinds can be awesome and well-written. But I have to admit few of them have captivated and intrigued me the way Morningstar did. There was romance, suspense, action, mystery, and so many unexpected twists and turns to keep us entertained from the very first to the very last word.

It is impossible to write anything specific about the story without spoilers, so all I'll say is that Kellar will always be my hero for his integrity, determination and compassion. I know I shall return to this story again and again and enjoy the journey anew. I recommend this beautiful and well-crafted tale to all readers, whether you are partial to shape-shifting stories or not.

  • Like 4
  • Love 10
Link to review
ColumbusGuy

   14 of 14 members found this review helpful 14 / 14 members

I can't say much or I'll give things away, but I urge everyone to try this whether they are into Shifter stories or not.  Morningstar is far more than that genre describes--it's first of all about the nature of Love and Family.  We see in both the broad and narrow sense how one can build new bonds to replace those that have been broken either through the actions of others, or one's own choices.

As in all Gary's work, the guiding principle is that for things to work out, communication must be open and honest, coupled with the desire to truly listen and strive for an equitable resolution.  The ears, mind and heart must all be focussed on the same goal.  Self-interest or absorption have no place if Love is to prevail.

Oh...and have some Kleenex at hand!

  • Like 4
  • Love 6
Link to review
Acid07

   12 of 12 members found this review helpful 12 / 12 members

Morningstar was one of the first stories I read on this site and I've come back to it several times.  New readers have the benefit of being able to enjoy it in its entirety, but Morningstar Mondays were a welcome thing to look forward to while it was being written.  It has an enjoyable main character that is capable of impressive feats.  Despite the great things he's capable of, however, his personality is even more impressive.  The antagonists are extreme, but believable in their roles.  The supporting characters and situations that Kellar find himself in are well-written, merging a supernatural feel with realism throughout.  There aren't a ton of shifter stories on here, but this one definitely proved to be a great read (and I'd love to see even more in the universe...hint hint).

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Link to review
mogwhy

   12 of 12 members found this review helpful 12 / 12 members

Gary, this was the 4th story i read here add started reading after you started posting so i binged on the 1st 13 chapters in a single session. i kept wanting to see what happened. then every monday. so unique on the shifter story. the characters worked. they made sense, in the story as a whole, there were times i felt like slapping a few :P  the ending was a good ending, sorta. i still would love a second book :glomp: or third or more. many stories to tell and i want to read them all. good job, made my mondays brighter. now off to read it again. and again. well for the 5th time 

  • Like 6
  • Love 2
Link to review
donjr101

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

Headstall, I loved this story I hope you continue it I would love to read how the guys' life continues. Thanks for the awesome work

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to review
FanLit

· Edited by FanLit

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

This story was recommended to me in a conversation where I said I like my romance stories between earthbound people, ☺️.  I gave it a try because I'm already a fan of other work by Headstall.  

The story, tho about shifters, could have easily been about any other flesh and blood character dealing with the challenges of love, loneliness and belonging.  I became caught up in the story, the travails of the shifters and their packs was just another wonderful flavor to the story.

This tale of those not quite human moved me deeply and made me hopeful about humanity, actually.  It was a touching reminder that love is timeless and that no man is an island.  I'm still not sold on the "alt/fantasy genre" but I love this story.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 6
Link to review
PJGee

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

I was not a shifter story reader and I had by-passed the Title a few times. One day I opened the story and was hooked completely, I did not get to the stage of Morningstar Monday's as I was a late comer. I agree with all the previous comments and cannot find else to add. Waiting for book 2, but no hurry, I'll keep re-reading.:2thumbs::read::great:

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to review
FlowersBite

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

I really loved this story, I  don't usually read ongoing stories however when I first started reading this it was not completed but was so good I just had to keep reading and waiting for updates! 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to review
Darryl62

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

Stories such as this I have avoided as they seemed too outlandish for my tastes, but the GA site recommended it and after reading the synopsis and a few reviews I took a chance.  I am so glad that I did! Excellent writing from the author had me gripped by the end of the first chapter and I devoured the book in a week. I see that the author has written in other styles and genres and based upon "Morningstar" will read more. I left a note in the comments that I would pay to read more of this world and I have even looked for that, but to no avail. So pleased that it was NOT set in the USA and that lovely Canada got a look in. Book two could even involve the dreaded Covid 19 and if it affects the pack..

A Kiwi in Australia 

Response from the author:

Thanks, Darryl! It's not the first time I've heard from a reader who avoided this kind of genre before reading this, and to tell you the truth, I never thought I would ever write a 'shifter' story. But, this has turned out to be a blessing for me, and I'm glad the story took over my brain. It made perfect sense to me to have it set in Canada, my vast and still wild home. The fact this story has connected with so many readers who normally wouldn't read anything paranormal gives me great pride. This was my first time writing a mystery as well, and I'm still surprised I pulled it off without screwing up. :)  Thanks again, my friend, and I hope your kind recommendation will encourage more to take the plunge into the world of the wolves of Morningstar. Cheers! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to review
LD Stratton

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

Up front and blunt: I don't care for stories about werewolves, vampires, shifters, other worlds and that ilk. Others may enjoy said genre, I do not.  That said I loved "Morningstar: The Malaise".  I was fully prepared to read a few chapters the lay it aside but the author writes beautifully, engaging the reader in the personal lives of the characters he created. There is depth to the characters, beauty in the writing, creating a draw that takes you from one chapter to the next. I highly advise reading other stories written by this author. 

Response from the author:

Thanks, LD, for this marvelous review! I'm glad you gave it a chance, and pleased you felt this way about it. I am immensely proud of Morningstar, and I hope others will heed your recommendation. :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 5
Link to review
wenmale64

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

I am a late reader of this story as I tend to prefer completed stories. Gary, you have outdone yourself with this wonderful tale.  While it is based on shifters, it is really a story of discovery, suspense, love and mystery. It could even have been created without shifters if you took a bit of mystical license.  Gary, you have an amazing talent for writing a captivating story that draws in the reader and and makes them feel as if they are part of the story. That is how I felt. Your ability to add emotion and detail to your scenes make a picture out of words. I like your writing style and really want more, even if it does not include Kellar and Tobyn. Please keep adding to your story list so we can keep enjoying your art. I do not reread stories often, but I am sure this will be one of the few that I look forward to reliving in the future.  To those of you that shy away from shifter and fantasy stories, please  give Gary a chance. You will be hooked with the first chapter or two.....

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to review
Caz Pedroso

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

I love shifter stories and so I jumped into this story as soon as Gary started posting it. 

 

The first chapters introduce you to Keller and show the poor young man finding out in the worst way that he is actually a shifter. 

 

The story follows the young man as he meets up with other shifters and slowly learns about them and himself. 

 

I love Gary's writing, because just when you're sure you know what is going to happen next he throws the reader a curveball that opens up a whole new avenue you hadn't thought of. He keeps the reader on their toes and always gives more with each chapter. 

 

The malaise Kellers new pack is suffering from seems to have no visible cause and therefore no cure. But, Keller brings new skills to the pack and new discovery are made with each new chapter. 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to review
VBlew

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

This is an amazing world of wonderful shapeshifters, which is a genre that I am now hooked on. It a love story, and a healing story for a lot of people in the story. The world it is set in is fraught with suspense, and intrigue. The main characters are very compelling to draw you into their lives. I was so enthralled, I read the entire thing in 3 nights, which I don't recommend.. pace yourself this is an epic story. Beautifully written, and the landscape so well described that I was transported out of my reality into this amazing world created by the author.

Response from the author:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you so much, VBlew! Your review makes me happy. Your words are kind and encouraging, and will help get new readers to give this story a chance, I'm sure. I'm so glad to hear you feel the way you do about it. It truly was a labor of love. Cheers! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
Daramatis

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

What an uplifting story!  I don't have as much time to read for pleasure as I'd like so a story has to be good to keep me 'turning the pages', and this was fantastic!  I'm so lucky to come to it when it's complete as I had the luxury of devouring it with no anxious wait for the next chapter.  When reality has so much darkness, Headstall's stories are cozy duvets of escapism that warm and comfort the soul.

Morningstar is such a well developed world, subtly uncovered and expanded throughout the story with amazing twists and turns that kept me wanting to know more.  Having finished it, I still want, need to know more!

The characters are all so well drawn, so deep, vivid, alive.  Hopes and dreams, scars and prejudices, loves and losses, the bruises of lives lived are wonderfully, emotionally explored.  These characters are people, most of whom I'd love to meet, some not so much!  ;)

Romance, emotion, love, identity, family, belonging and loss are core elements beautifully woven throughout; I could feel the depth of emotions the characters were experiencing, such is the magic of the writing.

Loved every chapter.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Mark  

 

Response from the author:

Wow! Thank you, Mark. Every word of this review invigorates me as a writer. These characters are very real to me in my head, but I'd love to meet them in real life too. :) 

I can't imagine anyone reading this truly encouraging review and not wanting to start turning pages, and I will be forever grateful for your kind words of approval for this story. I was tremendously diligent of the details when I wrote this, and Morningstar will always be dear to my heart. Long live Morningstar! Cheers! :hug:  

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
islandboy

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

I am in awe! Your writing is so good. --Wonderful imagination and really fine style, too. This was a very nice variation on the shifter story genre. It would be great if you continued with this story. There are so many details to follow up on (in another book?). I really like how you develop your characters. They seem to have real depth. I also like the way you create challenging situations in your stories and then your characters solve them. I have enjoyed your long works and your short ones , too. Thank you so much.

Response from the author:

Thanks, islandboy! I never tire of hearing new readers' thoughts on Morningstar. Your words are very kind, and they do help push me toward writing the next book about the wolves of Morningstar. No one will be more disappointed than me if I don't eventually take up the challenge of it. I appreciate the support your review sends, and I hope other readers will be encouraged to take the same journey, whether they like shifter stories or not. Cheers! Gary.... 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to review
astone2292

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

I've been reading were-creature stories since my freshman year in college and this story has toppled my favorites. The author's ability to dismantle, what I thought to be, a set-in-stone formation within this genre and rebuild it, is phenomenal. I look at this story and think, "Oh, so this is what a were-creature story is supposed to look like." Character creation is spotless and I fell in love with Kellar and Tobyn the moment they hit the scene. The dialogue was addictive, to say the least. Every word was placed in a natural way and together, they created each scene absolutely perfectly. 

For those who want to see a REAL shapeshifter story, this is it. As some reviews have stated, I can only pray to the earth mother for a sequel. There were a few subtle mentions throughout the story that has me hoping for a reappearance of some kind, but I imagine I'll be floored no matter what happens. Thank you for this wonderful story, Headstall!

Response from the author:

Wow! Thanks, A! I saw from the story reactions you were reading this, and wondered what you would think. I couldn't ask for a better review... and the fact you are a fan of the genre who also writes it, makes this all the sweeter. I find the reaction to this story humbling. Right from the beginning, with 'Morningstar Mondays' as they came to be known, the support has been incredible. I can't begin to express what your kind words mean to me, but I'm pretty sure they'll will help convince new readers to give this story a chance... and that's what I want most as the creator of this world. Again, I thank you. Cheers! Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
Gyrefalcon

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

Great story! Are you planning on letting us know what happens with everyone in a sequel? Great characters and a very entertaining story. And best of all, you did the amazing thing of putting together a complete story while still leaving so many places you can take it.

So, about that sequel... Please? 😄

Response from the author:

Thanks, Gyrefalcon!

I appreciate the kind review. And yes, there is still a lot of story to tell even though I told the story I wanted to. Morningstar took a tremendous amount of effort, as well as a lot of time from start to finish. Any sequel has to live up to the original, and that will require quite a commitment from yours truly. I've learned not to make promises, but my intention is to tackle another story 'someday' about the wolves of Morningstar. God willing. :) 

Cheers, and thanks again for sharing your wonderful thoughts. Cheers! Gary.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to review
Jasmine94

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

This story revolves around Keller, and Tobyn. It is a truly a beautiful story of shifters. Let this wonderful author carry you on this journey and I assure you, you're not going to be disappointed. Read as things unfold for Keller and his journey to falling in love and finding answers that changes his life. And there's cute side characters that I especially enjoyed reading about. Thanks Gary for this beautiful story. One of the best I've ever read.

Response from the author:

Thank you so much for the kind words, Jasmine. I truly enjoyed all your wonderful comments, and appreciate you leaving such a positive review of Morningstar. Cheers!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to review
Normischell

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

This story is so amazing and a total rollercoaster of emotions from start to finish. It is an experience akin to The Neverending Story where you are journeying along with the characters and experience what they do. This will definitely be a friend I revisit often. 

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to review
citycommuter

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

This is a lovely story that's easy to get lost into - the writing and dialogue is believable and enthralling. We're taken on a journey alongside our loveable protagonists as they sort their feelings for each other and shine light into darkness. I'm fortunate to have stumbled upon this story after it was completed - I marathoned it over 3 days. It's satisfying to see everything come together. I'd love to see another story, but I'm content having experienced this journey you've given us the opportunity to enjoy.

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to review
Reed1101

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

This is a well written story and a must read for all even if you’re not a fan of shifter stories. It has all the ingredients of a great piece but the one that really stood up for me was the many twists upto the end of it. I thought they were presented quite subtly. 

 

Response from the author:

Thanks very much for the encouraging review, Reed. I really like hearing you found the twists subtle. There certainly were a bunch of them. :) I learned a lot about weaving a story with this work, and I had never written a mystery before, never mind a shifter story. It was an incredible experience form start to finish, and I am wishing anyone who reads your review will be moved to explore this fascinating world of the wolves of Morningstar. Again, thank you. Cheers! :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
My_Pretty_Kitty_Kat

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Every couple of months I am drawn back to Morningstar because it is such a well written, compelling story. I am one of many patiently waiting for the next installment of Kellar’s journey.

Reader beware- you will be drawn in and find it hard to put down but it will be worth every moment spent reading.

Response from the author:

Every couple of months? That's wonderful to hear, My_Pretty_Kitty_Kat! Thank you for leaving such a great testament to the story... these reviews are so vital in getting new readers to take a chance on a genre they might not care for. Being so proud of Morningstar, I wish for everyone to read it. Cheers!

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to review
Dyaus

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Greatly written romantic werewolf novel. it has a lot of very moving moments who ask for a handkerchief. Really enjoyable and woth the time dedicated to read it!

Response from the author:

Thanks, Dyaus! I appreciate you reading Morningstar and leaving such a wonderful review. These reviews don't just make me happy... they tend to bring me new readers, and for that I am thankful. It was a wonderful experience at the time, posting and interacting with the readers, and I love any excuse to return to it. Cheers! Gary....

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..