Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,353 Words
  • 455 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 18. Bonus Chapter - Going Home, The Final Leg

This is a bonus chapter and did not appear in the original story and written as a thank you to the readers who have supported @raven1 and myself throughout the rewrite. It is your support that has encouraged the inspiration for this chapter. Thank you.

The Major felt a tingle run through him when he heard the words Grandad Ox. Kissing both boys on the top of their heads, he released them from his grip, holding them at arm's length. The Major looked into the eyes of each boy in return and smiled.

"It's good to finally meet you both. I've been looking forward to it. Come on, the car is over here. Let's get you all home." With his arms over the boys' shoulders, The Major led the way to the private hire vehicle waiting for them, leaving Ian and Kevin with the airport trolley full of luggage.

"Do you get the feeling we've just been dumped?" Ian laughed.

"It looks like it, doesn't it?" Kevin shook his head as he helped Ian push the trolley loaded with their suitcases. “It didn’t take more than a minute for Pop to establish his GrandPop position with those two.”

Once all the luggage had been loaded into the waiting Mercedes-Benz Viano, everyone boarded the luxury airport transport vehicle and fastened their seat belts. Before starting the engine, the driver asked The Major, "Do you have any preferred route to reach your destination, sir?"

The Major thought briefly before answering, "Although it is the longer route, taking the M60 and avoiding the city traffic is probably quicker. Go that way."

"You're correct, sir. That route should be fifteen to twenty minutes faster." The driver looked over his shoulders at his passengers and smiled before continuing. "There may even be something interesting for your companions to see as we pass over the Ship Canal."

When the driver set off, they headed towards the M56, leaving the airport behind. The traffic was light, and as they got closer to the M60, the Manchester Ring Road, the traffic increased but not enough to hold them up. The route took them through an alternating landscape of countryside and built-up areas. Benjamin and Joseph were happy to see the surrounding countryside filled with different varieties of trees and lush green grass. They were amazed to see so many houses with gardens. They were more used to Israeli towns and cities and seeing apartment buildings with minimal surrounding plant life. When they passed Trafford Park the sight of the vast industrial area amazed them, they commented about it being larger than many towns and cities in Israel.

There was little of interest for the adults until they were about halfway through their journey. Then Kevin and Ian pointed out to Benjamin and Joseph The Trafford Centre, a large out-of-town shopping mall. A huge single building covering an area greater than a village in Israel. Benjamin and Joseph's excitement grew when Kevin explained they could have day trips to The Trafford Centre to explore the many different shops, not forgetting restaurants and eateries where they could sample a huge variety of food. With a multiplex cinema, adventure golf and other entertainment it was 'the place' to go. Ian telling them of visiting attractions, including a circus, only added to their excitement.

Next to The Trafford Centre is Chill Factore, a large indoor artificial ski slope. Ian and Kevin promised to take them in the future. The boys could see skiing and snowboarding competitions and exhibition shows. Benjamin and Joseph were bouncing with excitement when The Major told them they could have lessons and learn how to snowboard, ski, or both if they wanted to join in on the fun. Joseph got everyone laughing as he announced he might rethink going there when he heard how cold it was inside. The temperature is maintained at minus three degrees to maintain the ski slope.

When they rose on the bridge over The Manchester Ship Canal. Benjamin and Joseph were excited to see a small ocean-going cargo ship travelling up the canal to the docks in Salford, where they would unload.

“Look Joseph, a ship, it's huge and coming up the river!” Benjamin had seen ships before, but never this close, only far out at sea.

“WOW” Was the only response Joseph was capable of.

To the captain and crew, the ship was small, but to Benjamin and Joseph, it was huge. They marvelled at being able to drive over the ship. Both boys were entranced as the driver explained about The Manchester Ship Canal.

Few ships use the canal, so seeing a ship on the canal was becoming a rare event. When ships come up the canal, it causes traffic delays as The Barton swing bridge is opened to let it pass. It will also cause delays on the smaller Bridgewater Canal, where the aqueduct is opened. Trafford Park will also have traffic delays when The Centenary Lift Bridge is raised to allow ships to enter the heart of Salford. Bringing ships this far up the canal is expensive and one of the main reasons few ships make the journey. The other reason is that the large cargo ships are too big to access the canal.

As their journey progressed, Grandad Ox continued to chat with Benjamin and Joseph. He enjoyed getting to know them and learning of their hopes and dreams for the future. The boys were different in so many ways. They were of different faiths. Benjamin considered himself to be a lapsed Jew, feeling no connection and questioning his faith. Joseph had been brought up as a Christian, which was not common in Israel. Benjamin had a definite goal as he wanted to become a doctor, but Joseph had yet to decide on a career path. The only things they had in common was the region where they grew up, neither having a family nor a typical diet of kosher food.

The latter aspect was one that nobody had considered, leaving Ian and Kevin feeling as though they had let the boys down. Also, the sudden realisation hit them as they acknowledged changes would need to be made and some urgent food shopping needed to be done. The look of concern on Kevin's face did not go unnoticed by The Major.

After they arrived home and the luggage was safely in the house, The Major took Kevin to one side. "Kevin, are you alright? You look as though something is troubling you."

"It's nothing, Pop. Everything is okay." Kevin knew he wasn't fooling anyone. "Well, no, that's not true. When you were chatting with the boys, it dawned on me that we hadn't thought about food."

The Major was puzzled. "What do you mean? Your cupboards are full, and so is the freezer."

"Give us ten minutes, Pop. We need to settle the boys and let them choose their bedrooms, then I'll explain."

Kevin then helped Ian round-up Benjamin and Joseph, disturbing their exploration of the downstairs and helped them carry their luggage upstairs. After being shown where the family bathroom is and which room is Ian and Kevin's, the boys were told to choose their bedrooms. It did not take long for them to decide they wanted to share a room, and they asked for the largest unused room as it already had twin beds and was adequately furnished. They felt it was the best room in the house. It overlooked the rear garden and the fields behind the house, giving them a pleasant view. They asked if they could also use the room next to it as it was the smallest bedroom, making it ideal as a study room. With decisions made, Ian showed them where the bedlinen was kept while Kevin returned to the kitchen and his conversation with The Major.

Kevin entered the kitchen to find The Major opening the full food cupboards and looking confused. "I know, you think I've gone mad." The Major turned his attention to Kevin and listened. "It's not that we haven't got enough food, it's the wrong food! None of it is kosher! I don't even know what it means to be kosher or how to prepare and cook kosher food. The boys only eat kosher food!"

"Okay, now I understand the issue, so let's think about it and resolve it. First, stop panicking and relax, as that won't get you anywhere." In typical style for The Major, he calmed Kevin and was ready to help find a solution.

Kevin sat at the breakfast bar and sighed. "I guess you're right. You usually are. So what can I do?"

"What do you usually do when you need to find useful information?" The Major looked at Kevin and smiled—more like he smirked.

Kevin went to speak, then closed his mouth and buried his face in his hands in embarrassment. "I'm such an idiot, aren't I? I'll get my laptop, thank god for Google."

"Now you're getting it, and as for where to buy kosher food? You're in Prestwich! You're surrounded by kosher food shops! I'm sure that some of them will be happy to help and guide you." The Major smiled, holding back his laughter to not upset Kevin.

Kevin retrieved his laptop from the study and returned to the kitchen with it in his hand. Opening it up on the breakfast bar, he turned it on, and it promptly died on him. He plugged in the charger and tried again. As soon as it fired up, he connected to the internet and summoned Google. With Google loaded, he typed in the search bar, 'what it means to be kosher', and waited for the search results to load.

While Kevin was reading up on what it means to be kosher and the difference between kosher, pareve and non-kosher foods, Ian and the boys entered the kitchen and helped themselves to cold cans of Pepsi from the fridge. Kevin looked on in horror as Benjamin and Joseph guzzled down their drinks. Quick as a flash, Kevin clicked on the link 'Is it kosher?' The site search engine soon revealed that it was okay. Pepsi products are pareve and considered okay to drink.

Ian noticed Kevin's relieved reaction. "Kev, are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine. I quickly looked up Pepsi, and it's okay for the boys, it's pareve." Apologetically, Kevin addressed Benjamin and Joseph. "Boys, I'm afraid you must be patient with us on this one. None of the food in the house has been checked to see if it's kosher, so please be careful and check the labels before you eat or drink anything. You will need to help us understand kosher foods, and you can come with me to the local shop in a bit. You can pick out what you like to eat while we're there. It specialises in kosher food. Is that okay with you?"

Joseph remained silent and left it to Benjamin to address Kevin's concern. "Kevin, I appreciate your worries, but please do not be concerned. Joseph is not Jewish, and he does not need to eat kosher. He only did so because he lived in Israel. I am uncertain about my religious beliefs, and I have been for a long time. Therefore, let me eat the same food as you. I want to be a part of this family, and I cannot do that if I'm treated differently."

"But..."

"But nothing, Kev. We talked about it while we got their beds ready. Joseph was brought up in a version of an Anglican come Lutheran church. If I'm right it means pretty much the same thing as the Church of England. Benjamin wants to take time out from religion and have the freedom to decide for himself when he's ready. I think it's a good idea. What do you think?" Ian supported Benjamin in his choice and knew that Kevin would too.

"Benjamin, are you sure?" Kevin wanted to be sure but felt relieved.

"Yes."

"Okay, that's settled. Someone still needs to go to the shop anyway. We need fresh milk and bread, and we need to think about what we're having for dinner tonight. I don't feel like cooking, so unless anyone else feels like cooking, I suggest a takeaway. Do you have any ideas?" Kevin looked around hopeful, his gaze settled on Joseph, who immediately coloured up and looked down.

The Major, who had remained quiet, spoke up when he saw Joseph's reaction. "What do you think, Joseph?"

Joseph looked up like a deer caught in a car's headlights. He saw The Major nod and signal with his hands for him to speak up, and then Joseph coughed to clear his throat. "Could we have," Joseph swallowed before he continued, "Fish, chips and mushy peas? I've wanted to try it since you and Ian told me about it."

"Sounds good to me. What do you think, Pop?" As far as Ian was concerned, Joseph had spoken magic words.

"I think I'm staying for dinner. Tell you what, I'll get the Fish and Chips and take the boys with me while you unpack. How's that?"

After a trip to the convenience store and the chip shop with two excited boys, The Major sat at the table with Benjamin, Joseph, Ian and Kevin. They enjoyed a traditional British fish and chip supper with mushy peas and hot chip butties, followed by ice cream. The conversation was light and included things that interested the boys on their ride home from the airport and telling them about friends that Pop, Ian, and Kevin wanted them to meet. Of course, the boys focus was more on the friends whose children were about their age and some of the fun places they could meet and explore together.

When The Major left to go home, two tired boys hugged Ian and Kevin and then went to bed. They both fell asleep fully aware of what they had left behind and excited to be part of a new family. Joseph's first night in his new home gave him the first night of peaceful sleep in a long time, with no bad dreams. His mind had no room for them. His brain was tired from the extra long day, excited at the idea of new friends and too comfortable in the safety of his love-filled new home.

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
If you have enjoyed the story can I ask you to please leave a review and recommendation, this would help to share with others who may also enjoy it.
Thank you for the encouraging comments left throughout the story.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 14
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter.

Benjamin and Joseph are safe and happy in there new home with Kevin and Ian.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter.

Benjamin and Joseph are safe and happy in there new home with Kevin and Ian.

Thank you Chris, I appreciate your comments and support throughout the story. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I am so happy that you were inspired to add this bonus chapter to  the 2022 version of the story, that ended

with their arrival at the airport, It gives Benjamin and Joseph a more complete view as to how much their lives are going

to change. This new country presents an exciting new world of opportunities, experiences, and family to them. It also gives

Grandpa Ox's involvement in this family's past, present, and future the attention that it deserves. Manny would have been

so proud of his boys Ian and Kevin, and thankful to his friend Ox. Looking forward to more about them in the future!

 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

I am so happy that you were inspired to add this bonus chapter to  the 2022 version of the story, that ended

with their arrival at the airport, It gives Benjamin and Joseph a more complete view as to how much their lives are going

to change. This new country presents an exciting new world of opportunities, experiences, and family to them. It also gives

Grandpa Ox's involvement in this family's past, present, and future the attention that it deserves. Manny would have been

so proud of his boys Ian and Kevin, and thankful to his friend Ox. Looking forward to more about them in the future!

 

It makes me happy to know that you, and the other readers, have enjoyed this extra chapter. It is the comments and support within them that helped to inspire and encourage me to write it, but I could not have done it without @raven1 who worked hard with the editing.

The loving welcome they received from Grandad Ox and the journey home that filled them with excitement is a good start to their new lives, Manny would be jumping with joy. Their next story is still in the planning stage and I hope you and all of the readers will join us again in the future.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..