Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,474 Words
  • 646 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 11. Tears, Laughter and Plans

Ian and Kevin had just reached the bottom of the stairs when they heard the crash, quickly followed by the sounds of glass shattering and horrified shrieks from Shamira and Joseph. The colour drained from their faces, Ian bounded across the hall to the kitchen, and Kevin stood poised with his mobile ready to press *# as Jacob had instructed.

The twins could be heard crying out on the patio. Ian opened the kitchen door. Seeing the mess and disaster in the kitchen, he immediately brought his hand up to cover his mouth, his eyes screwed up, and his face contorted. Kevin saw his shoulders begin to shake. Pressing the buttons on the phone, he rushed to Ian's side and looked, his eyes were like saucers, and his jaw dropped.

“Stop laughing. It is not that funny.” Shamira tried to sound stern, but could barely get the words out before she could not help herself and laughed too.

Everybody was laughing so hard they did not notice the twins enter with shocked expressions on their faces.

“Wow.” Aaron started.

“What happened?” Asher completed the sentence, and the crying was replaced by childish giggles. As they looked at the mess the adults had made, the giggles changed to high-pitched squeals of childish laughter as they both dropped to their knees and pointed at Joseph and Shamira.

The kitchen looked like a disaster area, and Joseph was covered in white powder, giving him a ghostlike appearance. While everyone else was laughing, Joseph looked scared and horrified. His bottom lip pouted and trembled as tears, threateningly, formed in his eyes. The more everyone laughed, the worse Joseph felt.

Shamira calmed herself and enveloped Joseph in a hug. “It is okay, honey. There is no need to be upset. We can clean up and start again. There is no harm done.”

Just then, they heard a car screech to a halt. Its doors slammed shut, and running footsteps could be heard approaching. Jacob's face was the first to appear at the kitchen window, followed by two other familiar faces. Nobody saw them discreetly hide their handguns in holsters under their clothing.

The sounds of laughter had alerted Jacob that this was not a dangerous situation, and he too had trouble not laughing as he assessed the mess in the kitchen. On Jacob's suggestion, Kevin took Joseph upstairs to his room to get cleaned up and changed. Ian went with the twins to the patio to keep them occupied, and Shamira soon had the kitchen cleaned and back to normal with the help of Jacob and his colleagues.

Soon after, they all sat at the kitchen table for a late breakfast of American pancakes, fruit and syrup. They were all in good spirits, and even Joseph managed a laugh when Shamira explained to everyone what had happened.

Joseph was attempting to make pancakes using a large glass mixing bowl and a hand whisk. However, he decided to upgrade to an electric hand whisk on a high setting. It seemed like a great idea until a cloud of powdered mix exploded into the air, hitting Joseph squarely in the face and causing him to sneeze. In his sneezing frenzy, he dropped the jug and knocked the glass mixing bowl off the counter. Joseph attempted to rescue the bowl but ended up throwing the powder mix into a bigger, cloudier mess that covered him and the surrounding area. Shamira's retelling of the incident was so funny that it had everyone laughing hysterically as if they were watching an old slapstick comedy movie.

Kevin explained he hit the emergency call buttons because of the angle from which he saw Ian's reaction. He thought Ian was crying and something bad had happened. The truth was Ian saw the kitchen disaster and a ghostly-looking Joseph, which he thought was hilarious and was trying, unsuccessfully, to stop himself from laughing. Jacob understood Kevin's reaction and complimented him on acting swiftly. It was definitely a morning that would be retold for years to come, much to Joseph’s embarrassment.

Although later than originally planned, they enjoyed their time at the outdoor pool. Between spells in the pool, the conversation was lively. The bond that Joseph was forming with Ian and Kevin was undeniable. He asked many questions about life in England and hung on every word they uttered. Joseph really liked the sound of Ian's favourite meal of fish, chips and mushy peas, with bread and butter to make chip butties. He made them promise that it would be his first meal when they arrived in Manchester.

Kevin enjoyed telling Joseph about places to visit, especially two of his favourites, Alton Towers Theme Park and Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Joseph was totally absorbed when Kevin described the roller coasters, other rides, and huge amounts of candyfloss on wooden sticks. Joseph was not sure if he would like the rides, but because Kevin liked them, he wanted to try them and the idea of candy floss captured his imagination. Because Blackpool is on the coast, he wanted to go there first as he had never seen the sea. Being a young Palestinian boy from a poor family who relied on rearing goats on a harsh terrain near The West Bank, there had been little opportunity for fun in his short life, and he had yet to experience a holiday with Isaac and his family.

This caught Jacob off guard, but then he smiled and saw an opportunity to introduce Joseph to a new experience. “If Ian and Kevin have time before they go home, I could take you to Haifa. My family own some apartments there, and I am sure we could stay in one. They are nothing special, but they are adequate. If Ian and Kevin's schedules are too tight, I would be happy to take you another time. Let me know when you want to go, and I will arrange to take you there. That is, of course, if Isaac and Shamira agree. I would really like to take all of you though, if that is agreeable.”

Joseph was speechless as Shamira spoke. “What do you think guys? I would have to speak to Isaac first, but it could be a pleasant change for all of us.”

Kevin was happily nodding when Ian answered. “Our flight is six days away, and we have nothing planned as yet. Judging by Kevin's silly grin, I think I can say yes for us if it's possible to arrange it. If not, then as long as Isaac and Shamira approve of the arrangements, we agree to you taking Joseph after we leave, but I hope we can all go.”

“Okay then, Jacob, see what you can arrange.” Shamira gave a coy smile. “Leave Isaac to me. I will speak to him tonight.”

Smiling, Jacob got an evil glint in his eye. He glanced at the three young boys before addressing Ian and Kevin. “Fancy one last dip in the pool before we leave? I think we could all carry a passenger for a big splash. What do you think?”

Kevin nodded.

Jumping up, Jacob grabbed Joseph and held him tight to his chest. Ian and Kevin followed suit, grabbing Aaron and Asher. It was a race to the pool, with the boys shrieking in delight, launching themselves into the air. They hit the surface of the water at the same time to many cheers and a few groans. The resulting splash was huge, with almost everyone in the pool and some standing on the side getting drenched as the water descended.


Isaac laughed, hearing three excited boys describe how they made a big splash at the pool that day. Clearly, they had a lot of fun. When Shamira spoke about a possible trip to Haifa, he said that he did not think he could take the time off work, but if Jacob could arrange anything, she should take the twins and enjoy the break. All that remained was to wait until Jacob returned with some news about the apartment.


Behind the scenes at Associated Executive Car Services, men and women worked hard on their computers. City and Government employees were currently undergoing background checks looking for anything that could give them an edge to achieve their goals. In the meantime, meetings were being scheduled with contacts already on the unofficial payroll. Specialists wearing latex gloves in another room were poring over and scrutinizing documents. They spoke in murmurs and hushed whispers. All of them were working to a plan laid out on a storyboard. These activities were typical for all of the covert operations they worked on. Not wanting to waste time Tom spoke to his contacts in the UK. With arrangements in place, he could now work in tandem with his Israeli counterparts to provide what was required.

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 11
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

15 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

The pancake explosion was hilarious, can picture Joseph covered in flour.

A great day out at the pool, more family bonding.

Plans are underway for the required documents.

Minor disasters like this can often be hilarious, they can also help relieve tensions and I'm sure there are some as Joseph gets to know Ian and Kevin. Fun days out are a great way to bond with those new in our lives. Fingers crossed behind the scenes plans are progressing. 🤞

  • Love 5
Link to comment
Mancunian

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

What I remembered most from my "2022" reading of this chapter was "mushy peas, with bread and butter to make chip butties"'

Googling mushy peas produced such funny Q and A's about the after effects of eating them! 😃 No wonder you combine them

with butties.🤔

 Jacob also has a heart of gold.

Mushy peas help to add a little more flavour to chip butties and their smoothness adds a nice contrast to the crisp batter coating the fish. Depending on where you are in the UK determines your choice of fish. Cod is the most common and is available in all chip shops, other choices could include haddock, hake, plaice or skate. In some chip shops where the type of fish is not specified you may be given pollock, all of them are tasty and I like them all.

I think Jacob is developing a connection with Joseph and his charges from the UK, he is a good man.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 5
Link to comment
17 hours ago, akascrubber said:

The pancake explosion was hilarious. Joseph at first was so shocked and grew to become a happy guy who could roll with the punches. This is going to be a good family story . The ready reaction team showed up and blended in not making a fuss. Jacob even offered to take Joseph and Ian and Keith to to see the sea and stay at a place owned by his family. They were all in good moods.

Let us see, if Joseph really likes for his first meal in the UK fish and chips and mushy peas. It should be so different from he normally eats. Ian and Keith do have to be careful with Joseph and his knowledge. He had been a subsistence living goat herder and not a fully Western adapted youth.

Meanwhile, the covert operators were moving ahead behind the scenes. They are gathering evidence and creating documents. Good!

The pancake explosion was fun. I had a great time adding bits to that part. I suspect Joseph will adapt quickly to the new cuisine, being young. Having a bottomless gut, like most teens/preteens, does help when it comes to food.  Isaac and Shamira have probably started the task of introducing new foods that Joseph might not have eaten in his goatherder days.

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
raven1

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Mancunian said:

The pancake explosion was based on a childhood event, I'm not evil for reliving it at Joseph's expense, am I? These comical moments become fond memories.

Almost everyone I know likes eating fish, chips and peas so I'm hopeful that Joseph will enjoy it too. I wonder what he will think of McDonalds and KFC.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that everything is going just as well behind the scenes. 🤞

 

16 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Loved this chapter, did anyone get a picture of Joseph and the collateral damage???

 

15 hours ago, Mancunian said:

I don't think so, but it would make a great pic, lol. :gikkle:

It is the closest I can get.

spacer.png

Edited by raven1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
14 hours ago, chris191070 said:

The pancake explosion was hilarious, can picture Joseph covered in flour.

A great day out at the pool, more family bonding.

Plans are underway for the required documents.

Let's hope the documents are enough to get them safely to the UK.  

  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment
raven1

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Flip-Flop said:

What I remembered most from my "2022" reading of this chapter was "mushy peas, with bread and butter to make chip butties"'

Googling mushy peas produced such funny Q and A's about the after effects of eating them! 😃 No wonder you combine them

with butties.🤔

 Jacob also has a heart of gold.

I agree with you about Jacob. He quickly bonds with Joseph. I suspect Jacob will be a bit unhappy to part with Joseph when Jacob has finished his assignment. I hope we find out more about him someday.

Edited by raven1
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Mancunian said:

Mushy peas help to add a little more flavour to chip butties and their smoothness adds a nice contrast to the crisp batter coating the fish. Depending on where you are in the UK determines your choice of fish. Cod is the most common and is available in all chip shops, other choices could include haddock, hake, plaice or skate. In some chip shops where the type of fish is not specified you may be given pollock, all of them are tasty and I like them all.

I think Jacob is developing a connection with Joseph and his charges from the UK, he is a good man.

I think that Jacob both likes and respects Ian and Kevin.  He may also be a bit envious that they are forming a family with Joseph.  It is probably something he desires but has denied himself because of his job and being gay.  It happens to a lot of us.

  • Wow 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, raven1 said:

 

 

It is the closest I can get.

spacer.png

Thank you for that my friend, it's brilliant and hilarious. :kiss:

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 3/13/2024 at 10:00 AM, akascrubber said:

Meanwhile, the covert operators were moving ahead behind the scenes. They are gathering evidence and creating documents. Good!

This comment reminded me of the 2010 'A-Team' movie, (and the original 1980's U.S. TV show of same name). A secret group of people working to solve impossible tasks. Their leader, (one Col. John 'Hannibal' Smith), had a saying: "I love it when a plan comes together."  

It seems that plans are coming together for Joseph, both in Israel and the UK. 

This chapter by 'the team' of @Mancunian and @raven1, shows how quickly the reaction team of Jacob & Co. spring into action to safeguard those they look after, even in the midst of a pancake mix 'sandstorm'.

     swedish-chef-baking.gif

The suggestion by Jacob to take Joseph, Ian, Kevin and the family for a brief get away to Haifa sounds interesting.

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 4
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

This comment reminded me of the 2010 'A-Team' movie, (and the original 1980's U.S. TV show of same name). A secret group of people working to solve impossible tasks. Their leader, (one Col. John 'Hannibal' Smith), had a saying: "I love it when a plan comes together."  

It seems that plans are coming together for Joseph, both in Israel and the UK. 

This chapter by 'the team' of @Mancunian and @raven1, shows how quickly the reaction team of Jacob & Co. spring into action to safeguard those they look after, even in the midst of a pancake mix 'sandstorm'.

     swedish-chef-baking.gif

The suggestion by Jacob to take Joseph, Ian, Kevin and the family for a brief get away to Haifa sounds interesting.

It is looking good for the plans, isn't it? Hopefully, everything will come together as intended. I like the reference to 'The A-Team', I'm hoping this plan comes together. 🤞

Jacob and his team are an elite team, quick response is second nature. It also got the pancakes for breakfast, lol. :gikkle:

Haifa is an interesting city with plenty of attractions and distractions for them to enjoy. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/15/2024 at 7:58 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

This comment reminded me of the 2010 'A-Team' movie, (and the original 1980's U.S. TV show of same name). A secret group of people working to solve impossible tasks. Their leader, (one Col. John 'Hannibal' Smith), had a saying: "I love it when a plan comes together."  

It seems that plans are coming together for Joseph, both in Israel and the UK. 

This chapter by 'the team' of @Mancunian and @raven1, shows how quickly the reaction team of Jacob & Co. spring into action to safeguard those they look after, even in the midst of a pancake mix 'sandstorm'.

     swedish-chef-baking.gif

The suggestion by Jacob to take Joseph, Ian, Kevin and the family for a brief get away to Haifa sounds interesting.

I love this GIF of the Swedish Chef!  I also enjoyed your comparison of Jacob & Co. to the A-Team.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..