Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,206 Words
  • 470 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 10. Contacts

Isaac considered himself to be a liberal within the Jewish faith. All of the central tenets, such as observing the Sabbath, religious festivals and forbidden foods, were observed, but some things, such as daily prayers, were often overlooked. But today, when he awoke with the worry of Joseph's case – that he carefully hid from those around him – he felt the need to start his day with prayers.

Before he rose from his bed, he recited the Modeh Ani Prayer.


Modeh Ani Lefanecha

Melech Chai Vekayom

Shehechezarta Bi Nishmati

Bechemla

Raba Emunatech

I offer thanks to You,

living and eternal King,

for You have mercifully restored my soul within me;

Your faithfulness is great.


He then rose from his bed, washed and dressed, and entered the room he set aside in his home for prayers. As is standard ritual, he washed his hands and then recited.


Baruch Ata Ado-nai

Elo-hanu Melech Haolam

Asher Kidishanu Bemitzvotav

Vetzivanu Al Netilat Yadayim

Blessed are You, Lord our God,

King of the universe,

who has sanctified us with His commandments,

and commanded us concerning the washing of our hands.


In further preparation, before commencing his morning prayers, he recited.


Haraynee Mekabel Alai

Mitzvat Asai

Shel Ve’ahavta

Lerayacha kamocha.

I hereby take upon myself

to fulfil the commandment of

loving your fellow as yourself.


He then commenced his morning prayers.


After morning prayer, he felt energised and joined Shamira in the dining room for breakfast before leaving for his office. His day at work started at 8 am every day, except for Saturday, the Sabbath, and Sunday, which was their regular family day. There was also the occasional extra family day when his work allowed. Today, he had renewed hope that, in time, everything would work out as it should.


As Isaac left the drive, Joseph came downstairs and joined Shamira in the kitchen.

“Good morning, Joseph. You are up early. Did you sleep well?” Shamira was smiling at the boy. He had been excited since Ian and Kevin arrived, and there were no signs of it wearing off anytime soon.

“Good morning, Aunty. I slept well, thank you. May I help with breakfast?”

“Thank you, Joseph, but you don't have to. You know that.”

“I know I don't have to, Aunty, but I want to. May I help, please?”

“Of course, you can help. I was thinking of making American buttermilk pancakes with syrup and fruit. How does that sound?”

Joseph didn't need to say anything. The twinkle in his eyes and the growing smile answered, and breakfast preparations began.


When Isaac arrived at his office, he was met by Ben Cohen. “Good morning, Isaac. I am sorry to be 'hijacking' you this early in the morning, but there is some urgent business that we need to discuss in my office. Can you spare the time now, or is there anything that needs your immediate attention?”

The intrigue showed on Isaac's face. “I just need to re-read the file for a case I have in court later today. I can give you about an hour or so if that's enough time.”

“That's excellent. Please join me in my office when you are ready. Why don't you bring Joseph's file with you? I am anxious to help you resolve this matter as soon as possible.”

Isaac spoke briefly with his secretary, picked up Joseph's file and went to his partner's office. Ben was sat in one of the armchairs next to a coffee table containing a tray of light refreshments. When Isaac sat in the remaining seat, he noticed the mobile phone next to the tray. It was on an open call set to the loudspeaker.

“Ben, I appreciate your help with this case, but what's with the urgency and what's with this?” Isaac pointed toward the mobile phone.

“Isaac, all of your questions will be answered, but first, I'd like to ask you one question. What do you know of Emmanuel Goldstein?”

“I know enough. I know that I owe my life and everything I have to Manny. He took me in, off the streets of Jerusalem, when my parents were killed. He gave me a home in the UK and funded my education. It is thanks to him that I have the life that I have. I would do anything for him if he were still alive. I know he wanted to do the same for Joseph, so as Manny is no longer with us, I see it as my duty to...” Isaac swallowed with the emotion building inside him, “...to do the same for Joseph. But what has that got to do with this case?”

“I think you have answered all questions that needed to be asked of you. Isaac, as part of your devotion to Manny, please keep this meeting strictly confidential. Will you do that?”

Too emotional to speak, Isaac nodded.

Directing his voice to the mobile phone, Ben continued. “John, I'm sure you heard what has been said. I can confirm that Isaac has agreed to keep everything confidential. I trust him one hundred per cent and know that you can, too.”

The screen on the phone lit up as 'John', Ben's contact, spoke. “Thank you, Ben and thank you too, Isaac.” A slight crack of emotion was also in John's voice. “Isaac, I feel like we are brothers. Manny did for me as he did for you. Hopefully, one day, we can sit and break bread together.”

John briefly explained his connection to Manny and stated that they were not alone, as others benefitted in the same way. John explained that after reading a copy of Joseph's file and speaking to his British associates, whom he is currently working with, he realised that Ian, Kevin, and Joseph's cases were connected to Manny similarly.

John had heard Isaac's meeting with Ian and Kevin covertly and felt confident in asking, “Isaac, we can assist you, although I cannot disclose our methods. Will Ian and Kevin accept all paperwork that can be provided, even if it means altering Manny's will and giving up a part of their business?”

“John, if I didn't know any better, I would swear that you have been listening to Ian and Kevin. Before Manny passed away, he still owned ten per cent of the business. They have already told me they are happy to transfer that to Joseph as if Manny had left it to him. They want to establish a UK connection to help him.”

“That is good to hear. Speak with Ian and Kevin, but do not tell them of this conversation. Ben will let you know when everything is in place. It could be anything from a few days to a week, but it will be done.”

“Thank you, John, but I have to ask how much this will cost?” Isaac was prepared to help financially if needed.

“This is for Manny. It is repaying a debt, and no fee is payable. And I have some good news for you. The people who were meant to look after Joseph have been tracked down, and all of the missing funds have been replaced and are back in the bank.” With that news, John terminated the call.

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 11
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

19 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

"What goes around, comes around."

There is good and bad Karma, this is an incidence of good Karma in several forms.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Just now, Flip-Flop said:

There was a line in the play and movie "Hello  Dolly" that goes like this:

"Money is like fertilizer. It needs to be spread around, to make young things grow,"

That's a great line, I love it. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
Mancunian

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Yes @Mancunian it does appear that 'John' and others blessed with Manny's help during his life, are "paying it forward" to assist another Emmanuel (Joseph) fulfill his potential and perhaps Manny's dreams for Joseph's future.

In order to ensure this works, you and @raven1 need to make sure all the spanners 🔧 and others tools are safely locked away. 

🤞

I can assure you that @raven1 and I have our tools safely locked away. I am merely telling the story and @raven1 is only assisting by helping me tell it in the best way possible. We cannot be held responsible for the actions of others, we can only tell you what they do. :whistle: :whistle:

Edited by Mancunian
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
On 3/12/2024 at 8:36 PM, akascrubber said:

Wow--things have dframatically changed for the better.

 

It seems Manny has a patterm of changing young male lives for the better. What he has done carries on today. These men want to pay it forward and help others

Isaaac learns that a solution for Joseph is within reach in a week or less. Paperwork will be found to make the case. It looks likke Joseph will be  given part of the business and Ian and Keith had previously wanted to do this.

The people who stole from Joseph have been found and the money has been returned to his account.

Isaac's prayers have been answered. He did not ask how or who and that was good. The Major's friends have been very effective and have made progress. Joseph's wishes will be fulfilled soon. All shold be very happy.

Hey @akascrubber, Don't get your hopes up too much.  There are still seven more chapters to go. @Mancunian loves to twist the plot, so be ready for something new to challenge Isaac and his behind-the-scenes helpers.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 3/12/2024 at 9:23 PM, Flip-Flop said:

"What goes around, comes around."

That describes the experiences of many characters in this story. The Major, Manny, Ian, Kevin, and a few more have all experienced this. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/12/2024 at 10:40 PM, Flip-Flop said:

There was a line in the play and movie "Hello  Dolly" that goes like this:

"Money is like fertilizer. It needs to be spread around, to make young things grow,"

I like this quote and I thought one from Auntie Mame would fit well with both this quote and the story.

"It's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that truly matters."

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/13/2024 at 12:21 AM, drsawzall said:

So glad to see the "paperwork" will be ready soon...Manny was quite the Mensch, an admirable benefactor to those who needed the help he could provide, and that they carry on his legacy speaks volumes towards his character...

I would love some of the details to the following, but will remain satisfied that that 'wrong' has been righted...

“This is for Manny. It is repaying a debt, and no fee is payable. And I have some good news for you. The people who were meant to look after Joseph have been tracked down, and all of the missing funds have been replaced and are back in the bank.” With that news, John terminated the call.

I love your comment.  I see you caught this tasty morsel.

Quote

This is for Manny. It is repaying a debt, and no fee is payable.

Unfortunately, all I can say is :X...Dang it Man, you're too fast with that tape.  I was going to say, all I can say is to wait and see.

christina vidal duct tape GIF

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/13/2024 at 1:44 AM, chris191070 said:

Manny is highly regarded by many people, he has left a lasting legacy.

Things seem to have taken a turn for the better. John is going to sort documents for Joseph, no questions asked.

Considering the documents, I hope no one has questions. Ignorance is bliss in this situation.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 3/13/2024 at 5:13 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

Yes @Mancunian it does appear that 'John' and others blessed with Manny's help during his life, are "paying it forward" to assist another Emmanuel (Joseph) fulfill his potential and perhaps Manny's dreams for Joseph's future.

In order to ensure this works, you and @raven1 need to make sure all the spanners 🔧 and others tools are safely locked away. 

🤞

No worries, Man and I clean up after ourselves and put the tools away. We're almost perfect all the time...well, at least some of the time. 🥴

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 3/13/2024 at 5:27 AM, Mancunian said:

I can assure you that @raven1 and I have our tools safely locked away. I am merely telling the story and @raven1 is only assisting by helping me tell it in the best way possible. We cannot be held responsible for the actions of others, we can only tell you what they do. :whistle: :whistle:

After they do it, of course. 😉

  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, raven1 said:

Hey @akascrubber, Don't get your hopes up too much.  There are still seven more chapters to go. @Mancunian loves to twist the plot, so be ready for something new to challenge Isaac and his behind-the-scenes helpers.

Sshh 🤫 where's that sticky tape 🩹

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
raven1

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Mancunian said:

Sshh 🤫 where's that sticky tape 🩹

innocent whistle GIF

Don't look at me. You were the last one to use it. I'm totally innocent!

 

Edited by raven1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..