Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,370 Words
  • 429 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 16. Plus One

Work in the back offices of Associated Executive Car Services continued. It was a twenty-four-hour operation. Tom and Dick, the UK operatives, worked diligently with their Israeli counterparts. Dick spent most of his time out in the field. Accompanying a courier, he dropped off and picked up many small, essential packages, discretion being paramount.

Tom's skills were best used sitting in front of a computer. Most called him a computer hacker. Tom hated that phrase. He associated hacking with blood, guts, gore, and making a mess. Tom considered that what he did was done discretely, with stealth and precision. There was nothing messy about it, and he never left a trace of having accessed or altered any system he came into contact with. He was one of the best, and he knew it.

Tom could erase all indications of someone's identity by accessing specific systems. Creating a new identity is a skill. It requires a legitimate birth certificate, medical records from birth, an education record that matches educational achievements, and a current passport from any country. The tricky part is accessing the systems in the UK and the USA. They are the best protected in the world. With the assistance of a colleague somewhere in the UK, he had accessed and manipulated the records that he needed to in order to make the appropriate changes. Joseph's Israeli documents were ready to be delivered, and a valid UK passport would be available in the next forty-eight hours. If the passport arrived on time, Joseph could use it to enter the UK and avoid immigration control.

Tom had just finished the tedious but necessary task of disconnecting from multiple IP addresses around the globe, securing the pathway, the computer and its systems and logging off when he was called into the main office.

“Tom. May I have a few minutes of your time, please? There is an urgent matter that I need to discuss.”

Tom nodded and entered the office of his opposite number in the Israeli operation. “John, what can I do to help?”

“First, let me say thank you for your help resolving the situation with Joseph. Your work has been faultless. Our operatives have learned a lot from you.”

“Thank you, it's been a pleasure. They are very skilled operatives, and it has been beneficial working with them. But we both know that's not what you wanted to discuss. What can I help you with?” Tom was not a fan of small talk. He preferred to get down to business.

“Yes, you are right in your assumption. Your English friends have a request…no, Joseph has a request that needs your expertise, it's the matter we briefly discussed earlier. Joseph would like to take his 'brother' home with him if that is possible.” Tom raised his eyebrows questioningly as John slipped a document folder across the table. “If it can be arranged, these are the 'brother's' details that need amending. Can this be done, and if possible, could we expedite matters to send them home together? That is if we have the materials needed, of course.”

“Hmm, it's possible. I'll need to check with the UK contact before I can be sure. If I can do it in the time we have available, the courier we have in place can deliver both sets of documents. Can you supply the Israeli documents when I perform my magic?”

“Yes. Thanks to your help, they are the best we have ever produced.”

“We'll need the UK solicitor to hold the will. No action can be taken yet. It could make things awkward. Can you arrange that?”

“It is being taken care of as we speak.”

“Okay, let me make the calls.” Tom left the office to make his calls from an untraceable burner phone.

*****

Pressing the red button, Ben ended the call, placing his phone in his shirt pocket. He asked Ian, Kevin, Joseph and Benjamin to join Isaac, Jacob and himself around the dining room table.

“I want you all to fully understand that once this is done, there is no undoing it or going back. It will be permanent and will mean a new identity for Benjamin as well as Joseph, and will mean another new will. So I am asking you all one last time, are you all sure this is what you want?” Ben looked around the table, seeing a series of nods and happy faces and hearing excited yeses. “Good, that was my friends. They tell me that they are ready to proceed. This time tomorrow, everything will be in place, and fresh documents will either be here or on the way and you two,” Ben pointed to Ian and Kevin, smiling, “will effectively be fathers.”

“My problem is I need passport details to arrange airline tickets for the boys. If no seats are available, I'll have to rearrange our flights again.” Kevin's concern was understandable.

“Give me your flight details and allow me to take care of it.” Kevin got their tickets and gave Ben the flight details.

“What about my things? I have got nothing ready.” Joseph realised he had only packed for a few days.

Isaac smiled. “That has been taken care of. What we could pack is ready in the back of Ben's car. I will arrange for the remainder of your property to be shipped to you.”

Jacob spoke to Benjamin. “I will take you to your house so you can pack your clothes and anything else you can take on the flight. If you leave the keys with me and let me know what you want to keep, I will store them until it is shipped to you. I will dispose of the rest and send you any money I raise. Then, I will shut down the house. Do you own it, or is it rented?”

“It is rented, but I am behind in the rent. The landlord wants the overdue rent and the house back.” Benjamin looked embarrassed. He had used his dead brother's details to continue to rent the house and obtain a driving license. At fourteen years old, he was too young.

“Do not worry about the landlord. I will take care of him.” Jacob touched Benjamin's shoulder and gave a friendly, supportive squeeze. “I know you are worried about Ariel, and I know you will miss her. If Ian and Kevin agree, I will try to send her to you in the UK. If that is not possible, Aaron and Asher will look after her and the pups.”

Benjamin threw himself into Jacob's arms and buried his face into Jacob's chest as tears fell. Overcome with emotion. He was happy to have a future to look forward to and to find these people who had become irreplaceable friends. Ariel had been his since she was a pup. For a long time, she had been his only friend. He was upset about leaving her behind but knew in his heart it was the only way, he felt as though he was abandoning her.

*****

Tom had worked hard for the last two hours while maintaining constant contact with his man in the UK. Records had been amended, and a second authentic UK passport had been authorised. Both passports would soon be delivered to the courier. The Last Will and Testament of Emmanuel Goldstein was waiting to be delivered to Isaac's office. Copies would then be forwarded to Mark Fellows in the UK and Isaac in Haifa. Now, all Tom wanted was to rest. All that remained was to work with the team to amend Israeli records so that the supporting documents could be produced. Those records would be amended through the night to avoid detection.

During his time in Israel, Tom learned that Emmanuel Joseph Goldstein was held in high regard and loved by many in Israel, all of whom considered themselves family. He only knew of one other man who could match that much respect. And that is his old CO, Major Alexander Byron Oxley or The Ox as they affectionately called him. He knew that Ian and Kevin appreciated the influence that Manny and Ox had on their lives, and he hoped that Benjamin and Joseph would also appreciate their impact.

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 13
  • Wow 1
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

12 hours ago, akascrubber said:

It looks like Benjamin will be joning his"brother" on the flight to the UK. Ian and Keith are going to be "fathers" and have new partners in their firm,  Tom and his colleagues are working skillfully to prepare the documents in time for the flight. Tom is very impressive and efficient and works well under pressure.

The pups and their mother are staying with the twins. Aaron and Asher. If the mother Ariel can later fly to the UK it will happen or ,if not, she will be with her pups and well cared for in Isreal.

This is a complicated, sensitive, international process. It is a marvel to see the moving parts and that promise to be eventually successful.

In all honesty, I think Ariel staying with her pups and the twins' family was a good decision.  Shamira and Isaac are compassionate and loving people. Leaving Ariel behind will be difficult for Benjamin, but Ariel will not have to experience the trauma of leaving her pups as well as the international travel process for pets.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Kevin, Ian, Joseph and Benjamin will be going back to Manchester as a new family.

It's amazing what those guys have achieved to honour Manny.

I think Tom's thoughts at the end of the chapter were interesting.  He favourly compared what Manny achieved to Ox. I wonder if Manny and Ox had any conversations about related to what they had achieved in life before Manny died.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Flip-Flop said:

The backroom operation (Tom, Dick, John and staff} have been working hard behind the scenes with hopefully more

to come. Tom seems confident, but more needs done by them, and by their UK connections. Just this operation would

make an interesting story. Jacob is also doing his part to tie up Joseph and Benjamin's loose ends in Israel. Sadly Ariel

the beloved pet, will have to be left behind, for now. She will be with her pups and a loving family, which may be best

for her. Still a lot has to fall into place before a happy ever after ending back in their home in the UK. Great writing and

editing by @Mancunian and @raven1 for a tight, smooth, heart warming re-write of this complicated story.

Thanks for the kind words of acknowledgement @Flip-Flop.  What Craig and I do are a work of love.  Your comment makes it even more rewarding.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

That we all should leave a legacy such as Manny....

Amen to that good Doctor.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, drsawzall said:

That we all should leave a legacy such as Manny....

Although it may not have the same impact, we can all do something good.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, raven1 said:

I think Tom's thoughts at the end of the chapter were interesting.  He favourly compared what Manny achieved to Ox. I wonder if Manny and Ox had any conversations about related to what they had achieved in life before Manny died.

A very good question, I may have a word with Major Alexander Byron. 🤔

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..