Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,605 Words
  • 690 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 1. Reminiscing Part 1

“I like this.” Kevin lifted his head from Ian's chest, tilted his head, and gave his man a short, loving kiss.

“Yeah, I know. I do, too.” Ian returned the kiss with equal love and gentleness. “Sometimes I still have trouble believing that we have come so far and are still together.”

“Why? I've never doubted our love or commitment to each other.” Kevin was curious about what was going through Ian's mind.

Wistfully, Ian gazed across the room toward the TV but did not see it or the program playing. “Think about it. When we first met twelve years ago, we were fifteen. You was the new guy in school, scared and worried about the rumours following the transfer from your old school. I was the popular centre forward on the football team with a lot of friends, and all the girls drooled over me. Nobody would have thought that us ending up together was anywhere near possible.”

“You was a right cocky shit at the time! You scared me every time you looked at me.” Kevin smiled as he remembered. “But you was hot, and you still are, so you went to the top of the list in my wank-bank.”

“Hey, you never told me that before. I hope I'm still top of that list.” Ian could not stop the grin on his face.

“Well, I had to keep it secret back then, and I don't need a wank-bank anymore. I've got you all to myself now.” Kevin planted another tender kiss on Ian's lips. “I was scared that day when Jack cornered me in the toilets when you walked in. I was convinced you would think I was molesting him when he tried to force his cock in my mouth. He was dirty and smelled, making me feel sick. I was surprised when you dragged him off me and kicked him in the nuts.”

“I've told you before. I fell in lust with you the first time I saw you but felt I had to keep it secret.” Tears formed in the corners of Ian's eyes as he remembered that day. “But we all knew what Jack was like, and I couldn't let him hurt you. I've never regretted what I did that day. Getting detention for fighting was worth it.”

“I fell in love with you that day.” Kevin’s eyes were filled with love, and his voice was soft as he looked up at his lover.

“Then I won that day,” Ian said, pulling Kevin closer. “It did give me the courage to tell you how I felt. I didn't fare so well with your brother, though, did I. He beat the hell out of me.”

“It started as a fantastic day. You came to my house all sheepish and nervous to admit you had feelings for me. That took a lot of guts, not knowing how I would react. I know you was surprised when I kissed you.” Kevin sighed. “Pete spoiled everything later when he caught us in my bedroom, and then the bastard outed us to everyone.”

“Yep, that was the start of two years of hell for us, but it was all worth it. You remained at my side. I could face anything.” The memories of the beatings and being ostracised remained for both of them. It made them stronger and more determined.

“That little flat in Rochdale was our first home together. I know it was tatty and wasn't much, but it was still special because you were with me.” Kevin always tried to see the positives even when it was not easy.

“It was, even though we had a creep of a landlord. He got his comeuppance, though, when he had to face Christian. We got our deposit back and all of our stuff. I'd have loved to have been there to see it.”

“Better Chris than Pop. Pop would have castrated him, then hung him up to dry.” They both laughed, but Kevin again recalled. “You know we may have had some rough times, but we have made fantastic friends along the way.”

Ian smiled. “Yes, we have, but to be honest, Christian and Pop are more like family than friends.”

Major Alex Oxley was known to most as The Major, but to Ian and Kevin, he was Pop. He had a very protective and fatherly attitude towards them.

They met The Major after being beaten and then made homeless by their creepy landlord. He tried to nurse their injuries and feed them after discovering them wandering the streets of Manchester. When Ian's injuries did not improve, he knew the only way to help them was to break his promise to them and ask for help. For The Major, it was a difficult decision to make.

Knowing the best place and trusting that he knew the best person to ask for that help, he made his way to The Boot. A shelter that administered help and support to homeless people, he had already decided that he needed to challenge 'John' to enlist his help. After a brief conversation and confirming the true identity of 'John', the two men returned to The Major's 'home' in the arches by Piccadilly Train Station. Ian was delirious and weak, which understandably made Kevin upset and emotional.

After an exhausting journey back to The Boot, Ian and Kevin were given the immediate help they needed and a very welcome hearty meal before being taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary. Both young men were given a thorough check and then allowed to rest in a ward where they were monitored for any unforeseen complications.

Later that day, they were discharged from the hospital with new backpacks holding new clothes slung over their shoulders. Uncertain of what else to do, they went with Christian to a small local restaurant. There, they learned of the small flat that had been organised for them.

After helping The Major rescue the two boys, Christian got to know them better as Kevin and Ian worked with him as volunteers at The Boot. Chris befriended them and helped and supported them, much like a big brother would. That was the place Chris held in their hearts.

That had been the start of a much brighter future. With help and support, Ian attended a local college and started an apprenticeship in jewellery-making with Manny Goldstein in Prestwich. Kevin attended Manchester Metropolitan University and graduated with honours in accounting and business management.

“I don't know which was the best bit of luck we had, meeting Pop or Christian. What do you think?” Ian asked.

For a moment, Kevin was deep in thought. “Mmm, that's a hard one. Christian has done so much for us and supported us through tough times, especially when we thought about giving up. But it was because we met Pop that we got to know Christian.”

“You're right, it is difficult, but if we think about it logically, Pop was in our lives first. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have met Chris. So, by that logic, I'd say meeting Pop was the best bit of luck, but that is very closely followed by meeting Chris. What I do know for certain is that if I could choose my family, I'd have Pop for my father and Christian for my big brother any day.” Ian was being his usual confident self.

Kevin laughed. “I don't think we got a choice in it. They already chose us and put themselves in that position. So I think we have our own 'makeshift' and much-loved family.”

“I'm going to make us a drink. I'm having tea. What do you want, and which cupboard did you put the mugs in?” Ian got up from the comfy sofa and headed to the kitchen. He felt a bit weary after the move into their new home. ‘Their home.’ That brought a warm and comfortable feeling to his heart.

“They're in the cupboard above the kettle, and I'll have tea as well, please. A slice of that lemon drizzle cake Kate made for us would go well with the tea. The plates are next to the mugs, and the knives are in the same drawer as the rest of the cutlery.” The suggestion after Kevin's answer was said hopefully, with a smile and very much 'tongue in cheek.’ They did have a real family full of love.

 

Ian returned a few minutes later with large slices of cake and mugs of hot tea.

 

“I wish Pop was here with us. I miss him. I love our new house, and it feels like home, but if Pop were here, it would feel even better.” Kevin understood The Major’s wish to live independently but still missed his constant presence.


 

“I know what you mean, Kev, but unfortunately, we can't always have what we want. This is a chance to start a new chapter in our lives. We need to start planning for a housewarming party. I was thinking about a barbecue at the weekend if this good weather holds up. What do you think?”

“Yeah, let's go for it, and if the weather does take a turn for the worse, like a typical British summer, we can use the electric grill and bring it indoors. If we use the conservatory, the dining room and the lounge, we should have enough space.”

Ian and Kevin had moved from the two-bedroom apartment in The Northern Quarter to the house on St Annes Road in Prestwich. The large house would comfortably accommodate guests and accommodate a family, if the opportunity arose.

I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 13
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 minutes ago, George Richard said:

Great story— looking forward to this new version!

Thank you for commenting George, I hope you enjoy this better-written and edited version. I look forward to your future comments.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
4 hours ago, akascrubber said:

Wow--12 years. They stayed together and in love facing serious problems that did not hold them back.  Luckily , they found good friends who believed in them and helped them grow and be ready for life and happiness. You can easily like them and want to know how they blossom in their new home.

When you say it like that 12 years seems like a lifetime, lol, for many it is but for them it feels like yesterday. While they reminisce and remember the past I'm sure they have had some not-so-good times too, but like most they choose to not dwell on them and only remember the good times. They have good friends who are more like family which is good. The planned barbecue will be one of their first memories made in the house.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
21 hours ago, chris191070 said:

It's great to be reading Ian and Kevin's story (2024 version). Some great background info on them and where they lived before the house.

Background information is important to the development of Ian and Kevin, as well as the other characters of the story.  It is one of the aspects of the story that Craig and I worked on to make it better.  Thanks for mentioning that.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
15 hours ago, George Richard said:

Great story— looking forward to this new version!

I hope that you like the new version even better, @George Richard.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, akascrubber said:

Wow--12 years. They stayed together and in love facing serious problems that did not hold them back.  Luckily , they found good friends who believed in them and helped them grow and be ready for life and happiness. You can easily like them and want to know how they blossom in their new home.

Kevin and Ian have great support from their friends, many who are more like family. Their story is not always filled with happiness, but they do face challenges together.  It is one of the reasons I love this story as well as The Boot, Three Years On.  I do hope you like how @Mancunian has improved this story, @akascrubber.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

This chapter is a wonderful re-introduction to Ian and Keith as they reminisce about what brought them together, their initial struggles, being rescued by Pop after being beaten and later taken to hospital, and the help of Christian.

12 years together can seem both "a lifetime" and "a blink of the eye". It's all a matter of perspective. 

Your re-writing @Mancunian , coupled with @raven1 editing (and more) is off to a very good start. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

This chapter is a wonderful re-introduction to Ian and Keith as they reminisce about what brought them together, their initial struggles, being rescued by Pop after being beaten and later taken to hospital, and the help of Christian.

12 years together can seem both "a lifetime" and "a blink of the eye". It's all a matter of perspective. 

Your re-writing @Mancunian , coupled with @raven1 editing (and more) is off to a very good start. 

Thank you @Anton_Cloche for the encouraging comments. I hope you will continue to enjoy the rewrite. Some chapters needed more work than others, which is something I'm sure you will see as you read on.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Than you and your erstwhile editor for bringing this back to life. Amongst all of us readers and authors, you remind is of what is truly important!!

Their are those, and they are many, who give, lip service to what we all should be doing, but your reminders and writings not so close to home…thank you!

  • Love 4
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Than you and your erstwhile editor for bringing this back to life. Amongst all of us readers and authors, you remind is of what is truly important!!

Their are those, and they are many, who give, lip service to what we all should be doing, but your reminders and writings not so close to home…thank you!

Thank you for your encouraging comments @drsawzall, they are appreciated. The stories in The Boot World are about aspects of life that I feel passionate about and I try to raise awareness by writing them. @raven1 is a great editor who encourages me and helps to bring out the best in the stories.

This is a story that puts humanity above everything else, as long as someone is a decent person nothing else should matter. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/6/2024 at 8:57 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

This chapter is a wonderful re-introduction to Ian and Keith as they reminisce about what brought them together, their initial struggles, being rescued by Pop after being beaten and later taken to hospital, and the help of Christian.

12 years together can seem both "a lifetime" and "a blink of the eye". It's all a matter of perspective. 

Your re-writing @Mancunian , coupled with @raven1 editing (and more) is off to a very good start. 

Thanks for your feedback, Anton!  I hope you continue to enjoy the rest of the chapters.  

  • Love 4
Link to comment
23 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Than you and your erstwhile editor for bringing this back to life. Amongst all of us readers and authors, you remind is of what is truly important!!

Their are those, and they are many, who give, lip service to what we all should be doing, but your reminders and writings not so close to home…thank you!

Your wonderful comment speaks to what makes working with Mancunian feel rewarding to me.  We both have this as a common goal and love to bounce ideas back and forth as we strive to improve a story.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..