Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,496 Words
  • 469 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 9. Getting To Know Joseph Part 2

Ian spoke to The Major and Christian, who assured him that Sean was doing a sterling job managing the business. Sean was enjoying the extra responsibility and reporting good figures. They were confident Sean could continue for longer, giving Ian and Kevin another week or more before they needed to return.

With the business doing well and running smoothly, Kevin paid the extra fee and arranged the rescheduled flights.

Joseph had mixed feelings; he was happy that Ian and Kevin would be staying longer as he would see more of them, but he was also concerned that he was causing them inconvenience and extra expense. When he raised his concerns, the following conversation was crucial and long overdue.

“Ian, I accept that you are my bigger and older brother, and you are in charge. But I need to know what will be expected of me as the youngest brother. I have caused you inconvenience and cost you money. What will my duties be to repay you?” Joseph wanted, no, he needed to know. His voice conveyed Joseph’s sincere desire to know where he would fit into his new family.

Taken aback by the unexpected request, Ian asked, “Joseph, what do you mean that I am in charge?”

In Joseph's eyes, Ian, as the biggest and oldest brother, was automatically in charge as that was the tradition where he came from. He explained this and added that until he was of age, it was a little brother's duty to do his big brother's bidding in the absence of a father. Ian understood what was being asked but carefully considered what he would say.

“I think Kevin should be involved in this conversation,” Ian spoke calmly and confidently. He wanted to assure Joseph he accepted what he had said and establish a basis for changing Joseph’s concept of family. “I will say this. You are not a servant or anything like that. You will be our little brother, and it is our duty to look after you. When it comes to making decisions, you will be treated as an equal, and as much as possible and where practical, you will be part of the decision-making process.” Ian continued to introduce new thoughts for Joseph to consider. His tone lightened a bit as he casually said, “Come on, let's find Kevin. Then we can talk properly.”

When they found Kevin, he was chatting with Shamira and informing her of their changed plans. He offered to book Ian and himself into a hotel since their stay would be extended. Shamira insisted they were welcome to stay for as long as they wanted and reminded them that staying with them would give them more time to bond with Joseph. Two noisy six-year-olds were running circles around them all the time, whooping with joy that their big brother would be staying longer. They had already bonded with him and didn’t want him to leave.

Ian explained Joseph's concerns to Kevin and asked him to help explain what it would mean to be their little brother in Manchester. At Kevin's insistence, Shamira was invited to join them and help Joseph to understand.

For Ian and Kevin, this was simply what they did as a family. Their family was based on things they had learned from their family, the Major, Manny, Christian and Andy. However, this new kind of family was a huge and important matter to Joseph. It was new and very different for him. He was feeling confused. Shamira had her work cut out, keeping Joseph focused while dealing with his uncertainty and emotional excitement. This was heaven and a dream come true to Joseph, all wrapped in one.

Joseph learned he was not expected to perform household duties independently like a servant. He would, however, be expected to pick up after himself and help around the house in the same way that Ian and Kevin do. His room would be his private domain, for which he would be solely responsible for keeping it tidy. Helping to plan, prepare and cook meals would be expected, but not at every meal-time. His focus should be to attend school and apply himself to his studies, doing his best in each subject. Perfection was not expected, but his best efforts were. If his grades were good enough and if he wanted to, only if he wanted to, Joseph could attend college or university to achieve the best he was capable of.

He would receive a regular allowance, or as Kevin called it, pocket money. This would partly be determined by his willingness to do his chores and academic achievements. If he wanted, he could do a part-time job when he was old enough. While he would be allowed to spend his own money as he wanted, within reason, he would also be expected to open a savings account and make regular deposits.

When he made friends, they would be welcome to visit him at home, provided they were decent people and respected their home. If they could not do that, they would not be welcome. In short, they expected him to be a typical boy growing up, hopefully into a good, responsible adult. They emphasised that having fun while growing up was also important, and he was responsible for ensuring that Ian and Kevin remembered that. Ian and Kevin may have grown up but needed someone to remind them to have fun. They often forgot to take time for that when they got engrossed in the daily demands of their business.

Joseph was excited that they had many good friends and hoped they would like him. Ian and Kevin hugged Joseph as they reassured him they didn’t just like him but already loved him very much and each day would love him more than the last. He became excited when they told him about The Major, their Pop, who was like a father to them, and Christian and Andy, who were like big brothers. His excitement rose when they told him that it was guaranteed he would be liked and loved.

For Joseph, there was only one downside, he would miss Isaac, Shamira, Aaron and Asher. They had become his surrogate family in Israel, and he wanted to maintain contact. Because of the bond that had been made, promises were made and received that they would keep contact, and reciprocal visits between Israel and the UK would be part of the plans.

All of this sounded too good to be true, but Ian, Kevin and Shamira reassured Joseph that it was true, which overwhelmed Joseph. There was one question that Joseph felt he needed an answer to: how much would he owe to Ian and Kevin, and how would he ever be able to repay what would undoubtedly be a huge sum of money?

The answer was complex for the young boy. Joseph needed help understanding that a trust fund set up by Manny would cover the expenditure for high-value expenses and that Ian and Kevin were covering all of his regular day-to-day expenses, meaning that there was no debt to repay. He accepted that he would understand this better as time went by.

Being overwhelmed by the revelations from their conversation, Joseph went to his room to rest and to try to absorb all of the information. Shamira made sure Joseph knew he could ask any questions he wanted to if he felt he needed more details or a better explanation of what he had been told.

For the remainder of the afternoon, Shamira, Ian and Kevin enjoyed a cold drink and each other's company while the twins played on the patio.

When Isaac arrived home, Joseph had many questions for him. He was seeking clarification regarding some of what he had been told earlier. Realising this was important to Joseph and wanting to avoid explaining in public, the planned evening meal out was cancelled. With Ian and Kevin's help, Shamira put together a meal of cold meats with salad and fresh bread, followed by fresh fruit. The wine was passed up for soft drinks so that clear heads were kept.

When the meal was eaten, everyone was exhausted from Joseph's relentless questions, one of which took everyone by surprise. Joseph asked if he could have a pet. He used to have a donkey and missed having an animal to look after. His look of disappointment, when told no, soon disappeared. Kevin said he had always wanted a horse so they could have horses instead. Joseph was so hyped up he was ecstatic.

Eventually, it was time for everyone to turn in for the night, but only after plans were made for Ian and Kevin to take Joseph to the outdoor swimming pool in Beit Zayit the following day. Shamira and the twins would be going with them. Joseph took it upon himself to call Jacob and tell him to bring swimwear the next day. Hugs were exchanged as they said good night to each other, and peace descended on the house for the night.

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 11
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 hours ago, akascrubber said:

Ian and Keith learned that there was a huge cultural gap between their values and customs and those of Joseph. They began helpful conversations that were vitally needed

They started to explain their wishes and assumptions which greatly varied from what joseph assumed. This will be a process and will take a long while to help Joseph see his roles and duties. He thought he would be like a servant as the youngest and would have a great debt to pay back for the costs he made them incur. Issac and Shamira joined in helping Joseph see the expectations for his new live overseas.

Ian and Keith should be ready for additional assumptions that do not fit what they think is right. They explained normal family practices in the Uk and let him know what he can do. He will notn be in debt to them. Manny has left money for, his support. as well as what they are providing.They want him to do well in school and maybe go to College.  He is going to have the freedom to succeed and reach his full potential. He had a special, unexpected request that Keith and Ian supported . Joseph is so pleased he can have a pet and it will be a horse. Keith said he always wanted to have horses.

They are all becoming closer and more compatible. 

I'm pleased to see that you picked up on the most important part of the conversation which is not just what was said, it is that it shows the cultural gap that Ian, Kevin and Joseph have to deal with. There is a lot of learning to be done by all and it will take time, Ian and Kevin will also need a lot of patience. I think Joseph will adjust well and enjoy his new life given time.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Ian and Keith have there work cut out, explaining everything to Joseph.

It's alot for Joseph to grasp all at once. It will take him a while to understand everything.

They are becoming closer, a family unit. 

 

I agree, and Kevin will have their work cut out for them, explaining to Joseph and showing him how much life will be different. Their family will grow closer the more Joseph settles and enjoys what is left of his childhood.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

Joseph is betwixt and between--without a firm heritage at his young 12 years of age. He does have the benefit of being young and open. When he is given a firm home, family, friends and more love in the UK, he should be able to grow and become healthier and stronger.

We learned from chapter 2--"Things would not be good for him because he is not an Israeli national. He is a Palestinian, a refugee of the conflict, but he has no paperwork to prove it. Without the paperwork, he would just be considered a transient refugee. From speaking to the Israeli solicitor, I think, although I can not be sure, Manny wanted to bring him to the UK. Manny finally did obtain 'legitimate’ paperwork."

So we have an idea of the kind of paperwork that might help Joseph

Due to his background and previous life, Joseph probably had low expectations and few dreams for his future, when he becomes better accustomed to the changes that are happening he will be a happier healthier person. As @drsawzall pointed out he is at an age where learning will become second nature, hopefully, when that kicks in he will learn to dream and have ambitions for his life. We will never know Manny's full intentions, but I believe that we have all guessed right. Let's hope that the known obstacles, and any others that crop up, are overcome. 🤞

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
On 3/11/2024 at 9:32 PM, akascrubber said:

Ian and Keith learned that there was a huge cultural gap between their values and customs and those of Joseph. They began helpful conversations that were vitally needed

They started to explain their wishes and assumptions which greatly varied from what joseph assumed. This will be a process and will take a long while to help Joseph see his roles and duties. He thought he would be like a servant as the youngest and would have a great debt to pay back for the costs he made them incur. Issac and Shamira joined in helping Joseph see the expectations for his new live overseas.

Ian and Keith should be ready for additional assumptions that do not fit what they think is right. They explained normal family practices in the Uk and let him know what he can do. He will notn be in debt to them. Manny has left money for, his support. as well as what they are providing.They want him to do well in school and maybe go to College.  He is going to have the freedom to succeed and reach his full potential. He had a special, unexpected request that Keith and Ian supported . Joseph is so pleased he can have a pet and it will be a horse. Keith said he always wanted to have horses.

They are all becoming closer and more compatible. 

Their bond continues to strengthen. The talk was very important to all three of them.  Having lived in Thailand for 14 years, I do understand the cultural gap facing Joseph.  I still have problems occasionally, but also have many friends to help me understand.  Since Joseph is still a child, I hope he will quickly adjust to the changes he may face.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 3/11/2024 at 10:34 PM, chris191070 said:

Ian and Keith have there work cut out, explaining everything to Joseph.

It's alot for Joseph to grasp all at once. It will take him a while to understand everything.

They are becoming closer, a family unit. 

 

I agree wholeheartedly.  Joseph's need and desire for a family will speed the process of them becoming a loving family.  Manny did a great job of setting up the foundation for all of them. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/12/2024 at 2:48 AM, drsawzall said:

With this chapter we see the cultural differences that are coming into play regarding duties and expectations. Given Joseph's age and circumstances, we can see how this colors expectations. Fortunately Joseph is of an age where learning new things will become second nature...

There are bound to be a few, humorous bumps on the road to a fuller understanding!!!

Kevin and Ian's talk with Joseph was a good start, but you are right.  There will be many bumps ahead. As you said, Joseph's age will help him learn and adjust.  I just hope he gets the chance.

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
On 3/12/2024 at 3:19 AM, akascrubber said:

Joseph is betwixt and between--without a firm heritage at his young 12 years of age. He does have the benefit of being young and open. When he is given a firm home, family, friends and more love in the UK, he should be able to grow and become healthier and stronger.

We learned from chapter 2--"Things would not be good for him because he is not an Israeli national. He is a Palestinian, a refugee of the conflict, but he has no paperwork to prove it. Without the paperwork, he would just be considered a transient refugee. From speaking to the Israeli solicitor, I think, although I can not be sure, Manny wanted to bring him to the UK. Manny finally did obtain 'legitimate’ paperwork."

So we have an idea of the kind of paperwork that might help Joseph

Good point.  I'm sure that Ian and Kevin will need to obtain similar 'legitimate' paperwork.  Hopefully, it will be accomplished so that everyone has plausible deniability.

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 3/12/2024 at 4:26 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

All I can @Mancunian and @raven1 is simply WOW!

(Okay, now that I've recovered from momentary brain stuck ... Clutch in and Shift), this was a very well written chapter full of consideration of three (possibly 4 if you include LGBTQ+) cultural differences. For Joseph it wasn't just the idea of moving from Israel to UK, but also his Palestinian initial upbringing before Manny rescued him. So that's a lot to take in, understand, accept and adjust to. I'm surprised Ian and Kevin didn't bring up the concept of "paying it forward", but that will come in time.

And now we come to all the behind the scenes work (by Pop/Major, Issac, Jacob, Tom, Dick et al) to accomplish what may qualify as a miracle in any religion.

Crossed fingers, toes, eyes and anything else to make "Operation Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Trip", come off without a hitch. 

  happy marge simpson GIF

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  The "pay it forward" concept is fundamental to most of The Boot World stories.  I am sure you are right that it will appear in this story.🤞

  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, raven1 said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  The "pay it forward" concept is fundamental to most of The Boot World stories.  I am sure you are right that it will appear in this story.🤞

For anyone who hasn't heard of the "pay it forward" concept I recommend they look up the film titled "Pay It Forward" starring Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt and child actor Haley Joel Osment. It gets a mention in "What Happened To The Baxter Boys" and is a good emotionally charged film.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..