Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,493 Words
  • 521 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 12. Haifa

p style="text-align:center;"> *****Tissue Warning*****

Please note this chapter comes with a tissue warning, so please keep them handy.

You have been warned!

No, no, please stop. You are hurting me.”

The heavy stick came down again. It struck harder on his back as he tried to crawl away.

“Please, I beg you. No more.”

CRACK

The sound echoed in his ears as the bone in his forearm broke.

“Arrgh!” He screamed. The pain was unbearable.

His clothes stuck to his body, and the blood oozing from the cuts on his back made them stick.

“Nooooo!”


Joseph woke up drenched in sweat, his night clothes sticking to him. He struggled against the force of the arms gripping him.

“Let go of me, let me go! Leave me alone!” Joseph screamed at the top of his voice.

“Ssshhh. It's okay, Joseph. I've got you. You're okay now.” Ian held on tight as Kevin stood shaking at the door to Joseph's bedroom with Shamira behind him. “It's just a bad dream. You're going to be just fine. I promise.”

It was hard to tell who shed the most tears: Ian, Kevin, Shamira or Joseph. This was not the first bad dream that Joseph had had since the lads arrived, and they knew it would not be his last either. Nobody knew the horrors Joseph relived during his dreams. They only knew it was traumatic for Joseph to relive them.

Ian knew that Joseph needed professional help, but he had refused to speak to anyone Isaac brought in to help him. The only person he had ever spoken to about it was Manny. Ian hoped that Jeff could help them when Joseph came home with them. They also planned on seeking medical advice to reduce the physical scars on Joseph's body.

“Can...can...I sleep with Kevin and you tonight, please?” Almost pleading with his eyes, Joseph looked up.

“Yes. First, let's get you cleaned up and in dry night clothes, then we will sleep together as a family.”

The edges of Joseph's lips raised with a slight smile. He did not look down but kept his eyes on Ian as his clothes were removed. This was the first time Joseph had not looked down when his body was uncovered. He had chosen to wear a T-shirt when they went swimming. Ian slowly wiped him down with the damp washcloth that Kevin passed him, then gently dried him with a towel. After dressing in fresh nightclothes, Joseph held Ian's hand as they walked to Ian and Kevin's bed.

Shamira returned to her room. Although there were tears in her eyes, there was also a smile. This was good progress. This was the first time Joseph had shown no shame or embarrassment over his scars.

The three brothers entered the bedroom and slipped into the bed. Joseph was wrapped in a hug between Ian and Kevin. Joseph felt protected and relaxed. Slowly, he fell asleep.


Joseph was disoriented when he first woke up, and then he remembered being held by Ian after having a bad dream. With the arms of his new brothers around him, he felt secure in the knowledge that he was loved and wanted. Soon enough, the urge to pee made him uncomfortable, and he was embarrassed that his adolescent body caused an erection that made a tent in his shorts.

As he tried to worm his way out of the hold the lads had on him; he accidentally brushed against their early morning erections. Fear gripped him as Kevin started to wake. As he darted to the bathroom, the last thing he saw over his shoulder was Kevin's shocked expression. Misunderstanding Kevin's expression, rational thought left Joseph as he locked the bathroom door. After emptying his bladder, he curled up in the corner and cried.

It did not take much for Kevin to realise what had happened, and he understood Joseph's reaction. So he patiently waited for Joseph to return. After fifteen minutes of waiting and his growing need for the bathroom, Kevin approached the locked door and gently knocked. Getting no response, he listened at the door. The muffled sound of Joseph sobbing was heartbreaking. He decided to use the family bathroom and then return to help Joseph.

With a clear plan in mind, Kevin woke Ian and gave him a brief rundown of what had happened. Ian asked what he should do and was told to use the family bathroom and get Shamira.

As Ian left the room, Kevin gently knocked on the door of the en-suite, trying to coax Joseph to let him in.

Isaac had left for work, and Shamira was tidying the kitchen. Jacob arrived while Ian was telling Shamira of the morning's events. After a short discussion, Ian returned to the top floor with Jacob. Shamira stayed in the kitchen, finishing her chores and preparing breakfast for everyone.

Using the Swiss army knife he always carried, Jacob opened the bathroom door and returned to the kitchen for coffee, leaving Ian and Kevin to speak to Joseph.

Curled in a ball in the corner of the bathroom, the sobbing boy was convinced he was in terrible trouble for touching them intimately. He did not mean to. It was an accident.

It took more than half an hour for Joseph to calm down and talk coherently. Ian and Kevin took turns explaining to Joseph that what happened was just a natural morning occurrence for a boy his age, coupled with an accidental contact that was not intentional.

After a long boys-only talk with promises made, reassurances given, and many hugs, Joseph suffered the indignity of an unrelenting tickling attack until he laughed uncontrollably. With Joseph feeling better about himself and the early morning events behind them, all three went downstairs for a late breakfast.

Over a hearty breakfast of shakshuka and freshly baked bread, Jacob told them of the accommodation he had arranged in Haifa. The apartment was not available. But Jacob's boss had offered his single-story house on the coastal road Hubert Humphry St in Haifa. A sand and shingle beach was less than two hundred metres from the front door. The air-conditioned modern design property sat in private gardens and comprised two reception rooms, a dining room, a kitchen, and four bedrooms, each with an en-suite bathroom, which sounded ideal. Sleeping arrangements could be decided when they arrived in Haifa.

Jacob also arranged for a small air-conditioned coach so they could all travel in comfort. They would be accompanied by Eli, one of Jacob's colleagues whom they had met. Eli would share the driving with Jacob throughout their stay and help with cooking.

The rest of the day was full of excitement as they packed, ready for their trip. They originally planned on leaving early the following day and returning the following Tuesday until Joseph suggested they delay their return until Wednesday. His suggestion would mean they could drop Ian and Kevin at the airport in Tel Aviv on the return journey, giving everyone more time together and cutting out unnecessary travelling.

When Isaac learned of the plans, he happily agreed to clear his diary for the following week and join them on Sunday morning. He also looked forward to spending time with his family and new friends.


Friday morning, the Lehrer household was a hive of activity. While Isaac got ready for work, Shamira prepared breakfast for everyone and a selection of dishes to be left refrigerated for Isaac to eat on the Sabbath. Ian and Kevin gathered the packed bags, placing them in the hall, ready for Jacob's arrival. Joseph's task was to keep the twins occupied and out of mischief until breakfast was ready.

Jacob and Eli arrived just as they finished clearing up after breakfast. Joseph and the twins were jumping and chattering excitedly. When the luggage had been loaded, Jacob and Eli led them to the small luxury coach and helped them get comfortable. Shamira was astounded at being relieved of all housekeeping duties. She was politely informed that she was to relax and enjoy the company of her children and guests.

Designed to seat sixteen people in large leather reclining seats there was plenty of room for everyone to relax in the coach. It was equipped with a full bathroom and working kitchen, fully stocked with everything needed for their trip, including ready-prepared cold lunches. Drinks, coolers, and snack hampers had been filled, and they were told to help themselves.

The usual two-hour journey was taking much longer than expected. Jacob knew that roadworks would cause delays and had prepared for them. When the twins became irritable due to being cooped up, he opened the box of games and DVDs. With Joseph's encouragement, they settled in reclined seats to watch a Disney film on the DVD player.

They arrived at the house as the film ended, nearly four hours after they had set off. Shamira watched the twins run off some steam while Joseph helped the men unload the luggage and supplies. Their break on the coast had started, and Joseph was excited.

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 8
  • Sad 1
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

Joseph has serious past abuse probems that he has not yet disclosed and will not talk with a professional about it. His body has scars and he has had at least one broken bone. He must have been hit enough that he has great fears . Ian and Keith had to spend time with him to let him know he was not going to be punished for innocently touching in bed. Joseph is easily upset. They will find him help when they get to the UK.

Now they are in Haifa near the sea living in a very upscale home. Jacob has brought a friend. They both will do all the household duties. Joseph and the twins and the others should have a fun, relaxing time. Maybe they will get good news before they leave for the airport?

Joseph has suffered and the only person who knows the full extent of it has now passed away. Manny told of at least some of it as when he found Joseph he was badly beaten, bleeding and with a broken arm, or as Joseph said it, he was broken and left to die. Ian and Kevin realise this and know that Joseph needs help. Luckily back home they can turn to Jeff who will either help directly or introduce them to a trusted professional.

Hopefully, a short break in Haifa will be just what they all need before Ian and Kevin return to the UK.

  • Love 3
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

We get our first glimpse into the horrors that Joseph has suffered, hopefully Ian and Keith are able to help him.

A short break in Haifa is what the family needs.

While Joseph's physical suffering has ended his emotional and mental suffering continues, luckily Ian and Kevin have a good contact who will help to get the right treatment.

I'm always in favour of a seaside break. :D

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mancunian said:

Joseph has suffered and the only person who knows the full extent of it has now passed away. Manny told of at least some of it as when he found Joseph he was badly beaten, bleeding and with a broken arm, or as Joseph said it, he was broken and left to die. Ian and Kevin realise this and know that Joseph needs help. Luckily back home they can turn to Jeff who will either help directly or introduce them to a trusted professional.

Hopefully, a short break in Haifa will be just what they all need before Ian and Kevin return to the UK.

I hope that's true.  The problem is that you always give us more than we expect. What do you have up your sleeve this time?

fail morgan freeman GIF

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I hope that's true.  The problem is that you always give us more than we expect. What do you have up your sleeve this time?

fail morgan freeman GIF

:X :X :X

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

I'm doing my Beta/Editing responsibility here. Please, everyone, if you like the rewrite, add your Recommendation on the Title Page. The Recommendation icon is just above the Table of Contents.  Recommends promote the story and get more people interested in reading it.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Flip-Flop said:

"This was not the first bad dream that Joseph had had since the lads arrived, and they knew it would not be his last either. Nobody knew the horrors Joseph relived during his dreams. They only knew it was traumatic for Joseph to relive them."

So sad. The raw emotions expressed in this chapter are truly felt.

It is difficult to write a chapter like this.  I know Mancunian struggled with it, and I also felt the raw emotions you commented upon.  Joseph's dreams are shocking. We can only hope that these dreams will be less frequent and traumatic when he gets the help he needs. Thanks for the great comments, @Flip-Flop.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

"This was not the first bad dream that Joseph had had since the lads arrived, and they knew it would not be his last either. Nobody knew the horrors Joseph relived during his dreams. They only knew it was traumatic for Joseph to relive them."

So sad. The raw emotions expressed in this chapter are truly felt.

Thank you @Flip-Flop for this comment. I did wonder if I should expand on the treatment Joseph received, but I decided that 'less is more' and kept it brief and to the point. your comment justifies that decision.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, raven1 said:

It is difficult to write a chapter like this.  I know Mancunian struggled with it, and I also felt the raw emotions you commented upon.  Joseph's dreams are shocking. We can only hope that these dreams will be less frequent and traumatic when he gets the help he needs. Thanks for the great comments, @Flip-Flop.

Several drafts were consigned to the bin as I considered them too dramatic and traumatic. I settled on this version as felt it described events without creating too much of a shock and it does not glorify the violence that Jacob was subjected to.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

In many ways, this was a sad chapter, one can only imagine the abuse Joseph was subjected to, with love, patience, and therapy one hopes he comes out healed...

  • Love 5
Link to comment
Mancunian

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

In many ways, this was a sad chapter, one can only imagine the abuse Joseph was subjected to, with love, patience, and therapy one hopes he comes out healed...

Hopefully, this marks the beginning of a new chapter for Joseph. The love, patience, and sense of family he will experience with Ian and Kevin will be instrumental in this process. With the right professional support, Joseph has a good chance of replacing his bad memories with good ones and coming out of this in good shape. Let's keep our fingers crossed for him and wish him the best of luck. 🤞

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 3/15/2024 at 2:55 AM, drsawzall said:

In many ways, this was a sad chapter, one can only imagine the abuse Joseph was subjected to, with love, patience, and therapy one hopes he comes out healed...

Mancunian handled this chapter well. It was descriptive enough to make readers feel sad, but it handled this fragile situation respectfully without distressing readers with constant triggers.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..