Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,875 Words
  • 463 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 6. The First Meeting

Isaac and Shamira looked cautiously optimistic as Ian and Kevin bonded with Joseph. They also had bonded with Joseph and were delighted to see his bright smile and excitement as he talked with the two men. This was the first time they had seen him genuinely happy and smiling. It was plain for anyone to see that a bond was quickly forming. Now, the work could begin to realise Avi Emanuel’s dream. They all had to make sure that this boy remained happy and safe.

Shamira had prepared a light meal of pargiot chicken, accompanied by salad and freshly baked bread followed by a fresh fruit medley with ice cream. The meal was perfect for the evening that was charged with excitement and hope.

As the evening ended, everyone grew tired and retired for the night. Joseph could not stop smiling. He was happy and felt an instant bond with Ian and Kevin when they hugged. Joseph knew he would sleep well and have good dreams that night when he lay in bed, but he also felt disappointed because he secretly wanted to sleep with his big brothers. There was no ulterior motive. He just wanted to sleep surrounded by them and feel close to the men he was beginning to think of as brothers.


 

The following morning, Kevin was woken up by tapping on the door. Feeling groggy, he made sure Ian was covered, then called out. “Come in.”

The door opened slowly, and Joseph came in carrying a breakfast tray loaded with fresh coffee, fruit juice, croissants and fresh fruit.

“I want to show you that I will be a good brother. I have prepared breakfast for us. Would you like to eat where you are, or would you like me to prepare the table on the balcony?” The bright smile on Joseph's face could not be any bigger.

“Thank you, Joseph.” Kevin looked out the window. “The weather looks good. Let's have it on the balcony. While you set up, I'll wake Ian. We'll join you in a few minutes.” Kevin was impressed by Joseph’s initiative and touched by his thoughtful gesture.

He gently shook Ian awake. After telling him about breakfast waiting on the balcony, they both relieved themselves in the bathroom. They quickly brushed their teeth and dressed in shorts and a T-shirt. Ian was drawn by the smell of coffee and went to the balcony, followed by Kevin.

Breakfast outside in the pleasant morning sun was enjoyed by all three. The view from the balcony was of the small valley below filled with rooftops and beautiful landscaping. Through the trees and sky above flew many interesting new bird species. It was a very warm, relaxing environment. Joseph was excited as they chatted about life in Manchester and made tentative plans for days out during Ian and Kevin's stay in Israel. Isaac had explained what to expect, so Joseph knew he would not go with them on this trip. Joseph just hoped that the wait would be brief. He was eager to start a new life with his brothers. When breakfast was finished, Joseph returned to the kitchen with the tray to tidy up while Ian and Kevin showered and dressed for the day ahead.


 

Shamira and Joseph met them in the lounge. Ian and Kevin could hear the laughter of two happy young boys playing on the open patio. Joseph politely excused himself and went to join the two energetic boys. He took a large box of Lego blocks, knowing it was one of their favourite toys. This brought squeals of delight as the three boys settled for a morning of construction and probably many explosive demolitions.

“Good Morning, Kevin and Ian. Isaac has asked me to apologise for not being here. He received a call from his secretary and has some urgent business that he needs to attend to for one of his clients before seeing you. He also asked if you would meet him at his office so that you can discuss the matters concerning Joseph without distractions. Joseph will be happy playing with the boys while you are gone. As you can tell, he is popular with Aaron and Asher. Joseph is very good with them and treats them as his little brothers.”

“Isaac’s request is sensible. We will be able to talk freely with him at his office. What time is best for us to be there?” Ian asked.

“If we get a taxi there, maybe we can organise a hire car later. That would give us some freedom while we're here.” Kevin suggested.

“Isaac will be there all day, so you can go whenever you feel ready to meet. As for transport, you do not need to worry. A car and driver have been organised for you. They will be at your disposal for the duration of your stay here, and the driver will also act as your guide. I will call them when you are ready.”

“That's good of you, but we planned to hire a car. That's more within our reach.” Kevin felt awkward.

“Kevin, do not worry about it. It has all been organised and is covered by trust funds set up by Manny before his passing. The car and driver will only be paid for sitting about doing nothing otherwise.”

This was one of the arrangements made by Marty and The Major's friends. Shamira had been asked to keep that part confidential. “It also gives you more time to get properly acquainted with Jacob as you travel about.”

“It's probably for the best, Kev. We'd only get lost anyway, and that would cause problems. Let’s get the meeting out of the way if you're ready. I doubt it will be the only one. After the meeting, we can spend time with Joseph and maybe Aaron and Asher, too, if that's okay with Isaac and Shamira.”

“Yeah, I think you could be right. They drive on the wrong side of the road here, and while I like playing Mario Kart on the Wii, I don't fancy trying it out on real roads, especially in cities.”

“I am happy for you to spend time with Aaron and Asher. If you are sure you can cope with two energetic six-year-olds, I know the boys would like that. I will call the car for you. It should be here soon. As for driving on the wrong side of the road, I will leave that to you British.” Shamira laughed at Kevin's analogy of driving on Israeli roads, but she agreed.


 

The drive into Jerusalem could not have been more uneventful until they reached Jerusalem. On entering the city, the roads were packed and slow-moving. The highway system inside the city was a mix of ancient and new, filled with cars, people and a modern mass transit covering the city's hilly terrain. More aggressive drivers made more progress. The large blue SUV they were in was intimidating to those in smaller cars. If that was not enough, the sight of the behemoth of a man driving was.

After parking in the underground parking lot, Jacob, the six-foot-seven-inch giant of a driver, escorted them to the reception desk. He explained that he had brought Mr Johnson and Mr Cole to meet with Isaac Lehrer. Before they were taken through, he told Ian and Kevin he would wait for them at reception.


 

Sitting in Isaac's office, they welcomed the offer of bottled cold water from the small fridge near Isaac’s desk.

“Ian, Kevin, please make yourselves comfortable.” Isaac stood behind his desk and sat when Ian and Kevin did. “I am sure you understand that this is only the first meeting we will need, but I promise to keep them to as few as possible.

“Joseph speaks, understands and can read and write the English language very well. He is intelligent and an excellent student. What you may not be aware of is that Joseph is not of the Jewish faith, nor is he a Muslim. From what he has told us, he is a Christian. This may surprise you, but it is not unusual. Israel is not exclusively Jewish. People of many faiths live here.”

“Regardless of the on-off troubles here in Israel, Jews, Muslims and Christians can and do live in harmony in many parts of the country. The troubles here are nothing to do with religion. The problem is territorial and always has been, although religion has been and is used as an excuse for conflict by many.

“Joseph has been taught to be respectful of all faiths and religions. He lives a mainly Jewish way of life as those of us taking care of him are of the Jewish faith and also out of respect for Manny, who rescued him. I met and knew Manny. I know it was his wish to adopt Joseph and take him to the UK to live with him. He wanted him to meet and know both of you. I do not need to tell you this, but I will say it: Manny loved both of you and held you in high regard. He spoke of you as the beloved sons he always wanted. The fact that you are here and want to welcome Joseph into your lives and your home tells me all I need to know about you. You have proven the truth of everything Manny told me about you. I will do whatever it takes to make sure this happens.”

Hearing Isaac speak brought back many happy memories of Manny, and both men had to hold back their emotions as they continued to listen.

Isaac went on to explain that, as things stand and with the current documentation, Jacob is without a legal guardian. This is the first thing that needs to be addressed. Isaac would remain his legal advocate for as long as necessary and do all he could to push for a fast resolution. They discovered that Manny instructed Isaac to set up Ian and Kevin as trustees of the funds to support various local charities, one of which had been set up to care for Joseph. As soon as the 'irregularities' in Joseph’s charity were discovered, that support was withdrawn. This resulted in the disappearance of those responsible without a trace. Joseph was left without support or supervision until Isaac could locate him. This is why he was currently residing with Isaac and his family.

Isaac presented them with a small stack of documents requiring their signatures. These included the acceptance of the trusteeship, appointing Isaac as their representative to act for them in their absence, and permitting him to collate all information and documents needed to apply for legal guardianship of Joseph and start those proceedings. Following a conference call with Mark and The Major back in the UK, they signed all the documents, which Isaac then gathered and handed to his secretary to be filed away.

He then checked his watch. “Well, gentlemen, that is everything we can do for now and seeing what the time is, I think it is time for some lunch. I take it that Jacob is waiting for you, so let us meet him in reception and find somewhere to eat.”

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 11
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

38 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Thanks @Mancunian and @raven1 for another wonderful chapter with more information about 12-year old Joseph.

Glad to learn that religion should not be an impediment to Ian and Kevin being granted guardianship of Joseph initially, and hopefully having Joseph move to UK permanently. 

Israel's positive attitude, openness and acceptance towards LGBT persons, gay marriage, adoption of children etc., means Ian and Kevin's relationship will not be an issue.

Thank you 

I'm so happy that you are enjoying the story @Anton_Cloche, and yes it does look promising. But we have all heard of Murphy's law, or sod's law as others may know it. Lets hope they don't experience any of that, it could prove to be an obstacle. 🤞

  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

There is alot of obstacles in the way for Ian and Keith, but hopefully these can be overcome and they can take Joseph home to Manchester.

🤞I've got my fingers crossed that they have the best-qualified help if they encounter any problems. 🤞

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

FIY: Mar 8 Iz Natonial Prooofreading Da!y

          images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf7B_ECMufVJZPPWcoo54

:whistle:

:rofl: :rofl:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..