Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,402 Words
  • 569 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 2. Reminiscing Part 2

As Kevin lay relaxing on the sofa with his head nestled in Ian's lap, his eyes slowly closed. With thoughts of the upcoming barbecue, he drifted off into a dream-laden state, subconsciously planning.

Ian continued to gaze at the TV as tears came to his eyes. His attempt to shift the conversation away from the emotional roller coaster of the last twelve years had worked on Kevin, but again, it felt so raw for him as he relived those times. The conversation was a painful journey down memory lane. Every moment felt like a fresh wound, and he had to bear the weight of those difficult times all over again. Despite the passage of time, the memories were still raw and vivid, refusing to fade away.

He had always been strong and emotionally carried Kevin through the hard times. When his family turned against him after Peter had caught them in bed on Kevin's birthday, Ian was strong. Every time Peter or his dad ridiculed and beat them for being gay, when their landlord had them beaten and thrown onto the streets with nothing but what they wore and what was in their pockets, and many more times that were too painful to remember, Ian held strong. Now, he felt like their roles had reversed, and Kevin was the strong one.

The two of them had come a long way with the help of Pop, Christian and the friends they made from The Boot. Not to mention the support of Manny, his mentor throughout his apprenticeship, who became another father figure to him like Pop had become. Manny had supported him in many ways that he could not express. Then, the faith that Manny placed in him and Kevin by taking them on as partners was more than he had any right to expect or ask for. His heart still ached from the loss from Manny's passing. Two years had passed since then, but the pain and sorrow were felt as though it had been more recent.

Manny had planned his extended trip to visit his spiritual homeland of Israel and looked forward to visiting Jerusalem, Bethlehem and other locations visited by Jesus in his lifetime. Two days before he was due to return home, Manny had made the last of many phone calls to the boys, excitedly letting them know where he had been and what he had seen and experienced. Manny was looking forward to his journey home to share the many photos he had taken and to give a better account of his journey through the Holy Land. Manny had some special news. The lads could tell it was something important by the excitement in his voice, but Manny said he wanted to keep the news secret until his return. That night, he passed away peacefully in his sleep, being found by the hotel staff when they entered his room to give it the usual daily clean.

Kevin and Ian were upset at Manny's passing. Understandably, Ian had taken it particularly badly. After bequests to the charities that Manny supported, the remainder of Manny's estate passed to Ian and Kevin. This meant they were financially comfortable, and as the surviving partners, Goldstein, Johnson and Cole Jewellers Ltd. was now totally in their ownership. As a mark of respect, they agreed without argument that there would be no name change to the business.

 

On one wall in what was Manny's office but was now Ian's, there were framed copies of all the certificates showing Ian's and Kevin's accomplishments. There was even a shelf that contained the first piece of every type of jewellery made by Manny. Beneath that, Manny had placed a duplicate shelf to showcase Ian's 'firsts'. This included the first silver boot Ian made and the laminated designs produced to manufacture the silver boots for The Boot.

Ian was particularly proud of the design. Not only had it helped Ian establish a name for himself in the trade, but it had also helped raise thousands of pounds to help The Boot purchase, renovate, and convert The Old Shoe Factory. Profits from the continuing sales contribute to the running costs and projects of The New Boot and The Old Shoe Factory.

The following morning, Ian and Kevin woke up on the sofa in the same position they had fallen asleep.

“I can't believe that you left us like that. Why didn't you wake me up so we could go to bed?” Kevin stretched and yawned on his way to the kitchen. Coffee was needed.

“Sorry, hun. I must have got lost in my thoughts, and, well, you know me, I just zonked out.” Due to sleeping in an unnatural position, Ian took a little longer to stand and stretch out his aching body, and then he followed the smell of fresh coffee brewing.

Kevin turned and kissed his lover on the lips. “Ugh, morning breath. I think we need to have this coffee and then get cleaned up. You said the solicitor wanted to see you, so you better call him later. With Sean looking after the shops, this week is as good a time as any.”

“Yeah, I'll call him after having a shower, but he wants to see both of us, not just me. He said it had something to do with Manny, but after all this time, I've no idea what it could be.” With that, he took the offered coffee, smelled the welcoming aroma and sipped. “Aah, that's sooo good.”

“Hey, no falling in love with the coffee. I want you to hurry up. I'm looking forward to trying out that huge shower cubicle in our new bathroom.” Kevin's seductive tone as he wiggled his eyebrows left no doubts about what was on his mind.

“You, Mr Cole, are a fiend, a sex fiend, a demanding sex fiend.”

“That is correct, but I'm your sex fiend, Mr Johnson,” Kevin responded with leering eyes.

The next half an hour had more than a few loud noises coming from the bathroom. Mixed in with groans, moans, and dirty talk were some words like – 'Aaah that is sooo goood' – 'Oohhh more pleeease' – 'Yes that's soo hot' – 'Give it to me, harder, yes harder, oohhh god I'm going to cum!'

An hour and a half later, after a vigorous and energising shower, euphemistically speaking, Ian and Kevin dressed and relaxed in the kitchen with more coffee. Ian, who had just hung up after calling the solicitor, was sat with a puzzled expression, looking at his coffee mug.

“Well, what was all that about? You didn't exactly give much away from your end of the conversation. Most of it sounded more like a poor Elvis Presley impression to me, 'ughu, ughu,' so come on, spill the beans, and what's this inviting him to the barbecue? Not that I mind him and his wife coming. They are a nice couple.”

“To be honest, I don't really know. Mark wouldn't go into any detail. He just said that something had cropped up regarding one of the charitable trust funds that Manny set up before he died, and it needed our attention and signatures before anything could be done. He wouldn't say any more than that. He just said it was complicated and needed a more relaxed face-to-face meeting to explain so we would understand properly. I just thought the barbecue would be as relaxed as we can get. If we get it out of the way early enough, it shouldn't interfere with the barbecue, and we can all enjoy ourselves afterwards. Is that okay?”

“Intriguing, but yeah, that should be okay. Now, let's crack on getting this house in order and organising the barbecue. We're due at the Old Shoe Factory tonight. Remember we said we'd cover for Andy? He's got a hot date with Christian.”

The rest of the day passed quickly as the house was put into order with the finishing touches. The barbecue was arranged, and food was ordered for Saturday. Out of respect for Manny, Ian, and Kevin, who had maintained the tradition of being closed on Saturdays, the Jewish day of rest. However, not being Jewish, they treated it as a typical Saturday in all other ways. A short nap and a light snack preceded an uneventful night shift at the Old Shoe Factory.


Saturday morning, Ian was busy making marinades for steaks and chicken fillets. Sausages and burgers were ready and in separate containers in the fridge. Kevin prepared a variety of salads and ensured a selection of chilled beer, wine, non-alcoholic beverages, and soft drinks were available.

Kate, Steve, Danny and Liam arrived early to set up the garden furniture, most of which was borrowed from guests. They were followed by Max and Stacy with Jason. They brought and set up a large gazebo. Then Max and Steve got the barbecue set up and ready to light with plenty of spare lump-wood charcoal for when needed.

At 1:00 pm, Mark Fellows, their solicitor, and his wife Laura arrived. Ian and Kevin took Mark into the study for their planned meeting. Kate had enlisted Laura's help to finish preparing the food while Steve fired up the barbecue to get it ready. The remaining guests, including all the staff from both shops, would arrive in about an hour.

The meeting in the study was progressing, but it brought some disturbing news.

“So, if I understand correctly, what you are telling us is that Manny had set up a trust to look after this boy that he rescued and the people that were supposed to look after him have squandered the money, leaving it bankrupt with no way to recover it!” It was clear that Ian was not a happy bunny. Kevin was just as upset at the disturbing news.

“Unfortunately, that is just the bare facts of the matter. There is much more.” Mark paused to gather his thoughts. What he had to say next was the crux of the problem. He was worried about how the two would react. “As Manny listed you both as his next of kin and the main beneficiaries of his will, I thought you should be aware. There is another more serious aspect to this. Manny had legally assumed guardianship of the boy and placed him in temporary custody of these people, believing them to be good, honest people. Now that this has been discovered, it leaves the boy vulnerable. He has no legal guardian.”

“What do you mean? He's just a boy and should be looked after as Manny intended. What do you mean that he's vulnerable?” Kevin was red in the face and getting angrier, not at Mark, but at the situation as a whole.

“First, let me make this clear. I am not sure legally that I should be informing you of what has happened, as there are no instructions on what should be done in these circumstances. But no one could have foreseen what had happened since Manny died. Second, you are not obliged or legally required to do anything. But I felt morally obliged to Manny and both of you to let you know. If you would like me to, I can look into things and see if it is at all possible for you to continue what Manny started. Otherwise, the boy would end up in the Israeli system, which would not be good,” Mark swallowed as he paused, “or he would end up on the streets.”

“What do you mean the Israeli system wouldn't be good for him, and why could he end up on the street?” Kevin was visibly shaking with anger.

Ian wrapped both his arms around Kevin to try to calm him down. “Kevin, please calm down. Don't shoot the messenger. It's not Mark's fault. Let's hear what else he can tell us.” Ian was trying to be strong to support his lover, but tears were falling down his cheeks like waterfalls.

“I know you're right, but it's not easy. But I remember our last conversation with Manny. He was so excited about something. He wouldn't tell us on the phone, remember? He said he wanted to surprise us. I'd bet anything that this is the news he wanted to tell us when he came home.”

Kevin tried to calm down a little, then addressed Mark. “Okay, what else can you tell us? Why wouldn't things be good for this boy? What's his name? We can't keep calling him boy. That is disrespectful. Do you know what Manny's long-term plans were for him?”

“I will try to answer all of your questions. Things would not be good for him because he is not an Israeli national. He is a Palestinian, a refugee of the conflict, but he has no paperwork to prove it. Without the paperwork, he would just be considered a transient refugee. From speaking to the Israeli solicitor, I think, although I can not be sure, Manny wanted to bring him to the UK. Manny finally did obtain 'legitimate’ paperwork. I do use the word legitimate advisedly. The boy was named Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and is now twelve years old. Please try to be calm and rational and take time to think about things.” Mark looked at them with a tear and hope in his eyes. Joseph’s future depended on what these two men did next.

“I don't need to calm down, nor do I need time to think,” Kevin said calmly. Kevin looked at Ian as if telepathically sending him a message. “What do you think, my love?”

Ian could not speak. The look on his face and firm nod in assent spoke louder than words. Kevin knew Ian wanted the same thing he did.

“Mark, you knew Manny well. As well or better than us.” Kevin smiled at Ian. “I...no...I mean,” Kevin paused to regroup his thoughts. “We believe that Manny intended to bring him home. So can you arrange for him to be properly looked after in the short term?”

“The solicitor over there is my brother-in-law. He will look after him.” For the first time since arriving, Mark was smiling.

“Good, then we want you and your brother-in-law to make all the arrangements. We will cover all of the costs and do whatever it takes. We will be his guardians. Our instructions are simple. Bring Joseph home.”

I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 12
  • Fingers Crossed 2
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Manny (bless his soul) may have lived through and seen first hand the old and ongoing strife of Isreal and Palestine, and wanted to pay forward his good fortune in life by taking in a 10 year old Palestinian street boy, and give him a home and better life. Unable to "adopt" the boy, Manny was granted "guardianship" of Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and intended to bring him "home" to the UK. 

With Manny's untimely death two years ago, the people Manny entrusted to look after  now 12-year old Joseph, stole his money and threw him out onto the streets. Learning of this Ian and Keith step forward to honour Manny's wishes and with lawyer Mark's help, want to assume guardianship of young Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and bring him home to the UK. To be part of their family. :hug:

  • Love 5
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Manny (bless his soul) may have lived through and seen first hand the old and ongoing strife of Isreal and Palestine, and wanted to pay forward his good fortune in life by taking in a 10 year old Palestinian street boy, and give him a home and better life. Unable to "adopt" the boy, Manny was granted "guardianship" of Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and intended to bring him "home" to the UK. 

With Manny's untimely death two years ago, the people Manny entrusted to look after  now 12-year old Joseph, stole his money and threw him out onto the streets. Learning of this Ian and Keith step forward to honour Manny's wishes and with lawyer Mark's help, want to assume guardianship of young Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and bring him home to the UK. To be part of their family. :hug:

I am sure that Manny would be the first to admit that he was not perfect, he was probably as flawed as we all are and yet we know little of Manny's past. What we do know is that he had a big heart, we first saw this when he mentored Ian and built a strong relationship with Ian and Kevin. Now we see it in his intention to take care of Joseph, unfortunately, his plans did not work out. But Manny has left a legacy that lives on in the relationships he built in the past, Ian and Kevin are part of that legacy and have a strong desire to honour Manny by fulfilling his wishes. Nothing would be better than Ian and Kevin succeeding, but what obstacles will they have? And will they be able to overcome them? They have good friends, many of whom are as good as family, but will their support be enough?

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Bless Ian and Keith for doing the right thing…now take some time to fully understand the circumstances, and if possible, nail those cheating basturds to the fence post…

  • Love 5
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Bless Ian and Keith for doing the right thing…now take some time to fully understand the circumstances, and if possible, nail those cheating basturds to the fence post…

Ian and Kevin have learned and gained a lot from their relationships with two good men, The Major and Manny. They could only do one thing and that is the right thing. As for the embezzlers, well let's pray for Karma.

  • Wow 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 3/6/2024 at 9:45 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

Manny (bless his soul) may have lived through and seen first hand the old and ongoing strife of Isreal and Palestine, and wanted to pay forward his good fortune in life by taking in a 10 year old Palestinian street boy, and give him a home and better life. Unable to "adopt" the boy, Manny was granted "guardianship" of Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and intended to bring him "home" to the UK. 

With Manny's untimely death two years ago, the people Manny entrusted to look after  now 12-year old Joseph, stole his money and threw him out onto the streets. Learning of this Ian and Keith step forward to honour Manny's wishes and with lawyer Mark's help, want to assume guardianship of young Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and bring him home to the UK. To be part of their family. :hug:

Manny, though dead, is one of the main characters in the story.  His influence and selfless acts will be revealed as the story progresses.  

  • Love 4
Link to comment
23 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Bless Ian and Keith for doing the right thing…now take some time to fully understand the circumstances, and if possible, nail those cheating basturds to the fence post…

I also hope those two get what's coming to them for betraying Manny's trust and stealing from Joseph.  However, if they had not done that, Kevin and Ian would not have found out about Joseph.  I'm hoping that now Kevin and Ian are aware of Joseph's plight, their actions will bring a better future for the young boy.  

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..