Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,409 Words
  • 438 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 5. Meeting Joseph

p style="text-align:center;"> ***** Tissue Warning*****

 

There is nothing bad in this chapter, but you are strongly advised to keep the tissues handy. Remember, you have been warned.

The flight from Manchester to Munich departed and landed on time. The two-hour stopover in Munich had been extended to three hours due to delays in loading luggage. Then, the flight was queued over Tel Aviv for thirty minutes before landing. Both flights were comfortable, with attentive cabin crews giving good service and serving better quality food than they had experienced before. Security at Ben Gurion was strict but efficient. Kevin and Ian went swiftly through security and collected their luggage before meeting Isaac Lehrer, who had patiently waited for their arrival.

In the back seat of Isaac's Mercedes, Ian and Kevin were finally on the last leg of their journey. They would reach Isaac's home in about 40 minutes by taking Route 1, the fastest route. Ian was engaged in light conversation with their host as Kevin checked his watch and advanced it by two hours. It was almost 8:00 pm local time.

As they neared their destination - Beit Zayit - they left Route 1, taking Route 3965, then Route 395. Here, the landscape started to change as it became less arid, with more frequent clumps of trees and larger patches of grassland. Isaac liked taking this route, it took them through the lusher, greener areas of the National reserve in which Mount Heret and Beit Zayid sat. It allowed Ian and Kevin to see rich farmland and the wild greenery of the trees, grassland and a wide variety of wildflowers growing among them as they passed The Beit Zayit Reservoir. It was beautiful, a far cry from the arid desert they expected to see. Isaac suggested they ask Joseph to take them on some of the many walks through the area so they could enjoy its beauty.

When they entered Beit Zayit, Isaac explained that the original village no longer existed. It was now being developed into one of the newer suburbs of Jerusalem. Very few of the suburb's buildings were over twenty years old. Most had been built in the last ten years, which included Isaac's house. The large, spacious house built on the mountainside with three floors over the garage level and surrounded by a colourfully planted garden did not look out of place overlooking the valley. There were signs of more very similar developments on some plots. Others had been sectioned off for future developments.

Isaac announced their arrival at his home as he turned onto the driveway of a large house on Derekh Brekhot ha-Ya'ar and parked in the open garage, with the garage door automatically securing behind them. They entered the house through a connecting door.

As they entered the house through an ante-room, Isaac encouraged them to remove their shoes and wear the comfortable slippers provided for them. The welcoming aroma from the kitchen was nothing compared to the sight of the beautiful smiling woman descending the stairs.

“Shalom Aleichem.” Shamira greeted them.

“Aleichem Shalom.” Ian and Kevin returned the greeting.

“Erev tov, Shamira. I want to introduce you to our guests and hopefully Joseph's future guardians.” Pointing to Ian and Kevin in turn, “This is Mr Ian Johnson and Mr Kevin Cole.”

“Erev tov, Mr Johnson, Mr Cole, welcome to our home.”

“Ian and Kevin, may I introduce my wife, Mrs Shamira Lehrer.”

“Erev tov, Mrs Lehrer. Thank you for welcoming us into your home and allowing us to stay,” Ian and Kevin greeted her. There was no physical contact, as that was considered impolite.

Formalities now over, Shamira addressed her husband. “Isaac, you must be tired after a hard day at work. Would you like to get changed and freshen up? I will look after our guests until your return.”

“Thank you, my dear. I will do just that.” Turning to Ian and Kevin. “Gentlemen, please excuse me while I freshen up. Shamira will show you to your room, and I will see you shortly.” Isaac then left to freshen up.

“Ian, Kevin, due to the late hour, our sons, Aaron and Asher, are in bed. I promise I will introduce you to our sons and give you the full tour tomorrow. The room to your right is the lounge where we will meet you after you settle in. If you will, please follow me, and I will show you to your room.”

Shamira led them to a large room on the top level of the three-story house. “This is your room. You have seating in the room and on the balcony for your comfort. Here is the en-suite to ensure your privacy. The closet over there is for your clothes. Please join us in the lounge when you have made yourselves comfortable. We will be dressed casually. Then, we will introduce you to Joseph before we all eat. I have prepared a light meal for tonight that I hope you will enjoy.”

When Shamira left to finish preparing the meal, Ian started unpacking while Kevin showered. After switching places and dressed casually, the lads made their way to the lounge.

When they entered the lounge, Isaac rose from a sofa to greet them. A boy rose with him, almost as if he was attached. The expression on the boy's face and in his eyes told them that he was shy and very nervous, possibly afraid.

Directing his attention to the boy, Isaac spoke gently. “Joseph, I know you are nervous, but I also know that you are a very brave boy. Can you be brave for me now, please?” The boy nodded silently and took a half step sideways from Issac. “Joseph, these gentlemen are Ian Johnson and Kevin Cole. They have come a very long way to meet you. They are good men. They were very good friends of your Avi Emmanuel. In many ways, Emmanuel was like a father to them, too. Would you like to say hello to them and welcome them into our home?”

Joseph looked at them in awe, and tears formed in his eyes. “You...you...you knew him, my Avi Emmanuel? You are...brothers? My Avi Emmanuel was...was your Avi too? Welcome. Welcome to our home. Please eat and drink with us and make this your home, too.”

“Avi is Hebrew for Father, Dad or Papa,” Isaac explained proudly as he watched this first meeting.

Kevin became emotional and was pleasantly surprised by the sudden change in Joseph’s behaviour and excitement in his voice.

On one knee, Ian bent to Joseph's level. Through his own tear-filled eyes, he answered Joseph. “Yes, we knew your Papa Emmanuel. We knew him very well. To us, he was Manny. He was a very close and dear friend of ours. We cannot claim him to be our father, but he was to us the same as he was to you. He was like a father, a man to whom we owe much. He was family to us.” Ian paused and glanced at Isaac, who nodded. “Kevin and I are not brothers. We are life partners, a couple. Manny knew and gave us his blessing. He accepted us as family.”

“You...you are very lucky. When it was discovered I like boys, I was beaten and broken and then left at the roadside to die. That was when Avi Emmanuel found me and had me made well again. Now he is gone. I have no one. I have no family.” Joseph's voice wavered as his jaw shook while speaking. His whole body shook as he cried and turned his face to the floor.

Kevin knelt next to Ian. His voice was wavering also. “Joseph. Joseph, will you look at me, please.”

Joseph looked up. His jet-black hair was neatly combed, but his face was a mess. Tears flowed like a waterfall from dark brown - now puffy – eyes and covered his olive-coloured cheeks. Kevin could see the beautiful boy would break hearts as he grew into a man.

“We would be honoured to be your family if you have us. We would love it if you would come to live with us and be our little brother.” Ian had also bent down next to Kevin, and Kevin placed one arm around Ian's shoulders and held the other to Joseph. Ian mirrored the gesture as an excited, tearful boy ran to them, keeping them in a vice-like grip.

“Do you mean it? You...you will be my Ahkh? My brothers?”

“Yes,” was whispered into each of Joseph's ears as the grip tightened.

Shalom Aleichem, meaning peace be upon you, is a traditional Hebrew greeting. Aleichem Shalom is the traditional response. Erev tov is Hebrew for good evening.
If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 14
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

28 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

Manny rescued a beaten boy in great pain and near death. Ian and Keith met Joseph and pleadged to take care of him like a brother. They have much to discuss and accept. I am sure Ian and Keith are now even more committed to help Joseph. What a touching meeting that promises a hopeful future for all.

I'm happy that you felt the emotion of their initial meeting, this is a crucial time in Joseph's life. They have a common bond which is the love they had for Manny and the love that Manny had for them. Hopefully, this first meeting and the common bond will help to bring them together. Joseph feels a kinship with those who knew and loved his Avi Emmanuel.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Tissues were needed. What an emotional first meeting for Kevin, Ian and Joseph. 

Manny did a wonderful thing by rescuing Joseph, hopefully Kevin and Ian can finish what Manny started and take Joseph home.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Tissues were needed. What an emotional first meeting for Kevin, Ian and Joseph. 

Manny did a wonderful thing by rescuing Joseph, hopefully Kevin and Ian can finish what Manny started and take Joseph home.

Although it wasn't as Manny planned it I think Manny would be happy that Joseph has finally met Ian and Kevin. Is it possible that Manny knew Joseph needed Ian and Kevin in his life? And that Ian and Kevin would be richer for having Joseph in their lives?

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Mancunian

Posted (edited)

40 minutes ago, bummagnet said:

Hi, This chapter woke me up ! I really want to go to the beginning of how Ian and Kevin met Manny. I really want to know more about the kind of 

man he was . Can you tell me where to start in your series ? 

Thank you @bummagnet for the wonderful comment and your interest in the series. I have posted a suggested reading order in the forum discussion group. It is on page two near the bottom of the page. If you follow the link below it will take you to the forum discussion. Manny makes his first appearance in The Boot Three Years On. Ian and Kevin make their first appearance in The Boot. I hope you enjoy the stories, I look forward to any comments you wish to post.

 

Edited by Mancunian
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Flip-Flop said:

 

This is a rewrite of a 2022 writing by the author. It was a very fitting and heartfelt tale for that timeline.It is an edit with added dialogue and descriptions to tell the story better.

 

The sad but true fact is that this story most likely could not be told in our current timeline, due to the ongoing conflict.  I am pleased that @Mancunian was able to tell this story in his "Lost Soul " - The Boot series. The rescue of Joseph is much more meaningful now. 

I agree that the ongoing conflict has created a situation so awful that even with need to rescue so many children, it is impossible to do just that.  I am happy that you referenced "Lost Soul". There is background information on The Major in that story that makes this story and The Boot, Three Years On much more meaningful.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, akascrubber said:

Manny rescued a beaten boy in great pain and near death. Ian and Keith met Joseph and pleadged to take care of him like a brother. They have much to discuss and accept. I am sure Ian and Keith are now even more committed to help Joseph. What a touching meeting that promises a hopeful future for all.

Ian and Kevin's meeting with Joseph was very touching. I had to use the tissues by the end when Joseph got so excited when he realised that Ian and Kevin wanted to be his brothers.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..