Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,714 Words
  • 593 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 17. The Return Home

With the help of Jacob and Eli, Benjamin packed all of his possessions. Clothes and some smaller items had been packed and transferred to the house in Haifa. The remainder had been placed in storage. After Jacob had a conversation with the landlord, the outstanding rent was written off, and possession of the property had been handed over. The look on Benjamin’s face reflected his awe of Jacob’s negotiation techniques and pleased surprise at the results.

Monday morning, Isaac received a call from Ben letting him know that progress was being made, that he would see them Tuesday morning and that steps had been taken to ensure seat availability on the flight. The news brought relief to Ian and Kevin when he passed it on.

Sensing the underlying tension, Shamira spoke to Isaac and suggested a fun day out as a distraction. Isaac agreed and thought it was a good idea. Between them, they thought a day excursion to the Madatech-Israel National Museum of Science Technology and Space, with its interactive exhibitions, would be an ideal way to entertain everyone.

When Isaac told the four young boys about the planned visit to the museum, Benjamin became excited. He had visited before and enjoyed the visit. Joseph had never been, but he had heard of it and asked what it was like. Before anyone could answer him, everyone started laughing at Aaron and Asher's response.

“The mooseymum?” questioned Aaron.

“What is the mooseymum?” asked Asher.

The twins became irritated at Benjamin and Joseph for laughing at them. “It is not funny,” stated Asher.

“We do not know what a mooseymum is,” finished Aaron.

Benjamin and Joseph laughed harder the more the twins mispronounced museum.

Before things could get out of hand, Shamira took control. “Right, you two, garden now. Maybe cleaning up the dog mess will bring you back to your senses. It needs doing before we go anywhere.”

If the truth was told, all the adults had trouble hiding their amusement at the twin's mispronunciation. Everyone was holding it together by the looks on their faces, but only just. The twins were just too adorably cute when frustrated.

Isaac sat the twins down and tried to help them to say museum correctly. He settled on moosyum. It was the best he could get from them, so he answered their original question by explaining the museum and the fun they could have with the interactive exhibitions. By the time he finished, the twins were excited and dancing around with glee.

An hour later, with everyone onboard, Eli was driving the coach to the museum.

*****

Tom was leaving the office to meet Dick for lunch when his burner phone chirped, alerting him to an incoming call. “Talk.”

“Good morning, sir. This is a courtesy call from the publishing house. I am happy to confirm that we have obtained the books you ordered. They are available for delivery by our usual courier. Do you have any delivery instructions, sir?”

“Can you confirm if the order is complete?”

“Yes, sir. The order is complete. We have obtained quality aged editions of both volumes with individual certifications. If you can provide instructions in the next thirty minutes, they can be delivered today, sir.”

“Thank you. I'll get back to you immediately.” Tom hung up and hurried to the carpark where Dick and his Israeli counterpart were waiting.

A short conversation and a few phone conversations later, including one to the publishing house, the delivery was arranged for later that evening to the Townhouse Hotel in Tel Aviv. Rooms had been reserved for Tom, Dick and Ben Cohen.

Tuesday morning, Ben arrived at the house in Haifa. The document folder in his hand was complete and included flight confirmations for the flight to Munich and the connecting flight to Manchester. Before Ben could knock, Isaac opened the door and greeted him.

“Please tell me you have everything. The tense atmosphere here is so thick it could be cut with a knife.” Isaac was trying to relax, but the strain was showing on his face.

“Relax, Isaac. All will be back to normal tomorrow. I have everything in here.” Ben handed the folder to Isaac.

After breakfast and coffee, Ben explained the contents of the document folder to Ian and Kevin while Benjamin and Joseph looked on, then slid the folder to them across the table.

Kevin opened the folder and saw Israeli and UK passports and birth certificates for Benjamin and Joseph. “I'm happy, but... ”

“Ask no questions. Just be assured that they are as genuine as yours and Ian's and will stand any checks that may be made. Just remember to make the transfers required by Manny's current will. Benjamin and Joseph are both beneficiaries. Mark has all the paperwork ready for your signatures when you return to Manchester. He will also deal with rescinding their Israeli citizenships when you give him their Israeli passports. Also, Major Oxley is up to date with current events and eagerly awaits your return home.” Isaac smiled confidently.

“We can't wait to see Pop and introduce him to our family.” Ian smiled, then looked at Benjamin. “How does it feel to be part of the family and be the only straight one?”

“I am happy to have such a caring younger brother and two older brothers who are also my fathers. I do not know what I did to deserve this good fortune. My only wish is that we could take Ariel with us.” Benjamin was happy, although he knew he would miss Ariel.

Shamira put her arm around Benjamin. It would be a very long process and mean she would have to spend many months quarantined in a kennel, which would be unkind to her. "I promise she will be looked after and remain with her babies. Maybe when you have settled in, you could ask Ian and Kevin about getting another dog.”

The rest of the day was spent getting everything clean and packed. The atmosphere was a mixture of excitement and happiness, tinged with sadness. The mischievous antics of the twins brought about a lot of laughter, though the twins were unaware of the entertainment and relief from stress their capers provided. Eventually, the day ended, and everyone went to bed tired, awaiting the excitement of the following day.

Joseph was the first to get up the following morning, waking Benjamin as he excitedly showered and dressed. Jacob kept Joseph occupied with small talk and chores to allow everyone else to shower and get ready for the day.

After a hearty breakfast of shakshuka, it was time for Ian, Kevin, Joseph and Benjamin to leave. There were many excited but tearful goodbyes, promises to keep in touch and future reciprocal visits. Benjamin’s tearful goodbye to Ariel and the pups was especially difficult. Joseph’s biggest difficulty was saying goodbye to Asher and Aaron. Their tears and sad faces almost broke his heart.

The luggage was loaded, and Jacob drove Ian, Kevin, Joesph and Benjamin to Ben Gurion Airport in Tel-Aviv. Jacob hugged each of them, promising to visit them in the UK soon. He would miss these two, he had come to love them as little brothers.

At the Lufthansa desk, Ian, Kevin and their young brothers claimed their tickets for business class, checked in their cases for stowed luggage, and proceeded through security to go to the business class lounge and wait for their flight. They were unaware of the two men monitoring their progress as they journeyed back to the UK.

On board the plane, the boys were sitting in front of Kevin and Ian. The only other passengers in business class were two friendly men returning to the UK after a holiday in Israel. The journey home, including the short layover in Munich, was pleasant and uneventful. The boys were nervous as they had never flown before. With a bit of rearranging, Ian and Kevin each sat with one of the boys during take-off and landing, allowing them to have the window seats to maximise their experience.

When they landed in Manchester, the weather was not at its best. Light clouds with occasional showers were typical for Manchester. They all had their UK passports, and as the boys had dual nationality, they had no problems going through customs. Kevin did not need to use the documents he had kept handy. Waiting for their luggage at the carousel was the most tedious part of the journey.

When they exited the airport terminal, Ian spotted The Major and went directly to him. He did not spot the exchanged nod between The Major and the two men who travelled on the same flight.

The Major hugged both Ian and Kevin. “Welcome home, lads. I see that everything went well. Please introduce me.”

“Pop, I am happy to introduce you to Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and Benjamin Daniel Goldstein. We are proud to be their guardians.” Ian pointed to each as he introduced them. Kevin was stood with his arms draped over their shoulders. Both Ian and Kevin had big, proud smiles on their faces.

The Major enveloped both the young brothers in his arms. “Shalom Aleichem, Joseph. Shalom Aleichem, Benjamin. It is my hope that we get to know each other well.” Ox was hoping for more but didn’t want to overwhelm the two boys.

“Aleichem Shalom.” they chorused.

Benjamin quietly spoke up. “We are sorry, sir, but we do not know how to address you correctly. Please forgive us.”

“Mmmm, what do you think you should call me?” Again, Ox didn’t want to force any of his hopes on the two.

Nervously, Joseph spoke to The Major. “Well, Ian and Kevin call you Pop, which means father, and they are like fathers to us. Would that mean you are...” Joseph's voice trailed off. He knew what he wanted, but was too shy to say.

“I think I know what you mean.” Ox now had a big smile on his face like Ian and Kevin. “It would be an honour to be your grandfather. How about you call me Grandad Ox?”

Both boys tightly hugged The Major with tears in their eyes as they said, “Aleichem Shalom, Grandad Ox.” Ox held them closer as he too shed tears.

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 12
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just a reminder for those who haven't yet made a Recommendation or a Review, these are two excellent ways to show Mancunian how much you enjoyed the story.  They also authors to continue writing more stories.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..