Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,990 Words
  • 612 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 7. Getting To Know Joseph Part 1

After a lunch of chicken schnitzel followed by baklava, the lads returned to Isaac's home in the SUV driven by Jacob. They headed back through the crowded streets filled with aggressive, inconsiderate drivers. The journey was uneventful if you ignored the extra dent and scratch inflicted on the large SUV by an impatient driver in Jerusalem's traffic. The impatient and overly aggressive driver inside the car became meek-mannered when he stepped out of the vehicle to face Jacob. Kevin and Ian were amused by Jacob's heated discussion with the nervous, cowering driver responsible for the dent, as the driver offered cash as compensation for the damage. They correctly assumed that being a six-foot-seven-inch giant had advantages in an argument.

Arriving at the house on Derekh Brekhot ha-Ya'ar, they enjoyed the excellent relief provided by the air-conditioning that Isaac had installed when he purchased the home. The trip from the SUV to the house felt like a modern reenactment of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego’s walk through Nebuchadnezzar’s furnace.

Joseph welcomed them on their return and offered cold drinks that they gratefully accepted. Joseph's suggestion that they enjoy a rest from the heat in their room was equally well received. The house was quiet as Shamira and the twins also took afternoon naps in their rooms.

Later in the afternoon, while the twins played, Ian and Kevin sat down with Joseph and Shamira to tell them about the meeting. Shamira could see Joseph’s expectations rapidly rise and went to great lengths to explain to Joseph that things could still take a long time. She knew he needed to be patient if it took longer. There were no guarantees, and she wanted to spare him unnecessary hurt and anxiety. Shamira’s concern did not keep Joseph’s expectations at bay for long. Joseph now knew the plan was set and would be in motion. He felt his bond with the young men he now considered his brothers was strong. In his mind, they were his Ahkh, and he showed them how much they meant to him by hugging them tightly.


 

The following day, Jacob met them at the house to take them for a day of shopping in the Jerusalem shopping malls. Before they set off, Jacob surprised them by giving each a mobile phone. “You should each have these during your stay in Israel. Joseph, you should keep yours until you join Ian and Kevin in England.”

“Thank you, Jacob, but why do we need these?” Ian was holding the phone, which looked similar to a Nokia 6310 but older.

“You could still use your English phone here, but it is expensive, so it is best to keep that on in case you get any calls from England. These are on a local network, quicker and easier to use if you need to make local calls. They have some stored numbers you may find helpful. They are already programmed on speed dial. To call them, press the hash key first, follow that with the number of the person you need, and then the green button.

“1 is Isaac's home, 2 is Isaac's mobile, 3 is Shamira's mobile, and four is for when you need a car. If I cannot come, you will be given the name of the replacement driver, which you should check before getting into any car.”

“It all sounds a bit cloak and dagger to me. So why the phones, and what do we do if the driver's name doesn't match? And just as important, how much is this costing us?” Kevin quizzed. Neither Kevin nor Ian knew how close to the truth Kevin's first sentence was.

“This is not unusual for the company I work for. We are under contract and provide these phones for our customers. The phones are fitted with GPS, so we will know where you are, and there is no charge; it is all covered in the contract and is a normal part of the service for companies like ours. If the driver's name does not match, it is probably one of our competitors, which is not good. If the name does not match, then please call again and let them know. If you are ever separated from your driver or in trouble, press star hash, and someone will be with you quickly.”

“Okay, that answered my questions. Let's get going.” Kevin turned on his phone and put it in his pocket. “We have some serious shopping to do and want to find the best shops. Can you give us any ideas?”

“Tell me what you want, and I will take you where you will get the best quality and prices,” Jacob told them. He started the car and headed to Jerusalem.

Jacob was as good as his word, taking them to shops frequented by locals and avoiding the tourist areas. They had a great day. Jacob encouraged them to haggle hard for better prices, which they would never have done without his coaxing. They even began to have fun wheeling and dealing with the friendly locals.

By the end of the day, they sampled some delicious street food and had bags full of shopping. Ian and Kevin bought new lightweight clothes that were more suitable for the hot weather. Joseph now had clothes appropriate for a twelve-year-old growing boy who would be living in the UK soon. Swim shorts had to be included as Shamira wanted to take them and the twins to the outdoor swimming pool in Beit Zayit. They also bought gifts for Isaac, Shamira and the twins to show their appreciation for helping Joseph.

Ian, Kevin and Joseph felt that Jacob was more than a driver. To them, he had become a good friend, someone they could trust. Ian and Kevin asked Joseph to give Jacob the small pouch containing a gift for him. When Jacob tried to protest, Joseph was firm. “Sorry, Jacob, you cannot refuse. You have not just been good to us today. You have been a good friend. This is a token of our friendship.”

Not wanting to offend, Jacob removed the contents of the pouch and smiled. It contained a larger but identical version of the friendship bracelets that he could see on the three arms raised for him to see. The simple leather bracelet with a silver clasp was fastened on his wrist, and he wore it with pride. With happy hugs, they parted company for the night.


 

Over the next few days, the lads and Joseph visited some sights that Manny had told them about during his frequent calls to them. They saw the Israel Museum, the Museum of Natural History with its child-friendly exhibits, and the Bloomfield Science Museum, where Joseph enjoyed the interactive exhibits. The most moving stop was The Garden Tomb, which is set in well-maintained gardens. It is believed to be the last resting place and site of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Each day, Jacob proved to be a good friend and invaluable guide. They arrived home most of the time too late to tell Asher and Aaron about their adventures but made sure to share them with the boys the following morning before heading out again.

When they visited the Tisch Family Zoological Gardens, it was an all-day affair and included the Lehrer family. Jacob arranged for an extra SUV with a driver and guide. As each vehicle could carry four passengers, Isaac and his family were in one car, and the guide accompanied Ian, Kevin and Joseph.

Kevin was even impressed with the honesty of the locals when one young man ran up to him to hand over his wallet. He had apparently 'dropped' it when someone had bumped into him. He even refused point blank to accept a reward of any kind. Nobody noticed the quizzical look that Isaac gave to the innocent-looking drivers who were trailing behind. Unknown to them, Jacob had quickly gone into action when he spotted the sleight-of-hand as a young man had 'accidentally' bumped into Kevin.

Much quicker than anyone would imagine, Jacob moved as fast as a gazelle and soon caught the youths trying to run away. Jacob's sense of diplomacy and negotiation was very straightforward. Go and give back the wallet and walk away empty-handed, or Jacob would take back the wallet, breaking an arm or two in the process, and hand them over to security, who would call the police. Unsurprisingly, they chose the first option, and Jacob returned to the group with no one aware of the actual events.

The morning was spent leisurely walking around, checking out the array of exotic animals and birds of prey. Shamira provided a pre-packed light lunch which was eaten early afternoon in the shade of one of the carefully sited picnic areas, where they also had a well-deserved rest. Feeling rested and no longer hungry, they spent the rest of the day in the petting zoo. Aaron, Asher and Joseph were in their element and thought it was the best part of the day as they petted and fed the young farm animals. The volunteer zoo guides carefully answered their many questions.

Walking back to the cars, the twins complained of being tired. When they were scooped up and sat high up on their shoulders by their guide and driver, they thought it was great being taller than everyone else, even taller than the giant Jacob. Joseph jokingly complained and pouted that it was unfair as he was too big to join their fun. The shocked look of surprise on his face made everyone laugh as Jacob picked him up as though he was as light as a feather and placed him on his shoulders. Tears of joy were in his eyes as he whooped and laughed with delight, revelling in the fun and attention. Isaac reached for his camera. This had to be added to the day's collection of photos. It was their 'Kodak' moment to remember. They all wished there would be many more moments like this in the future.

When they arrived back at the house, Isaac saw the flashing light of the answering machine and went to his study to check his messages. Shamira served a buffet-style evening meal, insisting that Jacob and his colleagues join them.

After the men left in the SUVs, Isaac asked Ian and Kevin to join him in his study.

“While we have been out today, my secretary has left a message letting me know that she has collated all of the necessary documents and the forms that need to be completed before we proceed with the application for legal guardianship of Joseph. She has also pointed out some areas that need our attention before progressing, hopefully making it less troublesome. I will know more after checking the file tomorrow morning when I am in the office and I will keep you informed. Do you have any plans for tomorrow?”

“Nothing that can't be rearranged. Can you tell us anything?” Kevin was hopeful.

“Not until I get to the office. When I have read the documents and spoken to my secretary, I will give you a call. Now I think we have three boys out there falling asleep. I think it is time to get them and ourselves off to bed and keep our fingers crossed for a good day tomorrow.”

Entering the lounge, they saw all three boys curled up on the lounge rug and out for the count. Goodnights were said as Isaac and Shamira picked up the twins, and Ian picked up Joseph. Kevin led the way to open the bedroom doors.

“Kev, I've got an idea that might help get Joseph home with us, but only if you agree.”

“Ian, let's put Joseph to bed first, and then we can discuss your idea. I'm confident that if your idea is good and has the potential to be beneficial, I'll be fully supportive of it.”

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 11
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. Kevin and Ian are really getting to know Joseph and create a bond with him. A great day at the zoo had by all.

I'm just waiting for the problems to occur.

I'm happy that you see the bond being formed between Ian, Kevin and Joseph, have you noticed that Jacob appears to be forming a bond with Joseph too?

I could say that you are being pessimistic waiting for problems to occur, but I really think you are being realistic. Few things in life are as easy and simplistic as we would like them to be, but what can or will go wrong? What problems are around the corner?

  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

They all had good times shopping and seeing tourist type sites. The young ones really loved the petting zoo. The drivers/security guards are really fitting in and being accepted . The phones with GPS abilities are very good safety protections. 

Issac has to review the legal papers to work out any concerns tomorrow. But, Ian thinks he has a solution to help them get Joseph to the UK. He is going to dicuss it with Kevin. I wonder what Ian thinks will help?

Although many countries advise against it Israel has a lot to offer by way of tourist attractions, and if you can avoid the trouble spots it can be a very enjoyable holiday/vacation destination. As you point out Jacob, and his colleagues are enjoying the assignment and even joining in on the fun ensuring good cover.

Isaac has his work cut out, hopefully, Kevin's idea, whatever it is, will help. But will it be enough? 

  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment

I hope Kevin and Ian discuss this idea with Isaac. Hopefully it will dovetail with Isaac's news...

  • Love 4
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

I hope Kevin and Ian discuss this idea with Isaac. Hopefully it will dovetail with Isaac's news...

Whatever Kevin's idea is hopefully it will help. I would be more concerned about the areas that the secretary says need more attention, what could that mean?

  • Love 3
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Mancunian said:

what can or will go wrong? What problems are around the corner?

First, you and @raven1 are doing a stalwart job on this story. You've both been doing your research (or is that Google desiring the accolades?), however; Apps and AI (Lord help us), are only as good as their programmers and continue to be rife with errors (?), intentional or otherwise, depending on which 'masters' they are reporting back to  👀 As for "I'm just waiting for the problems to occur" and "...what can or will go wrong? What problems are around the corner"? Bite your tongues, and "Don't borrow trouble".

Having said that I suspect the 'friendship' bracelets the children are wearing contain tracking 'chips', like those given to young "protectees" by their 'minders' (like Jacob).

Ps: At 6'7" (2m) Jacob will have a hard time fitting in the Range Rover, even with the seat in lowest position and the seatback angled back at least 5° 🦒 BTW, Having previously worked in 'Foreign Service' I am familiar with 'special needs vehicles', and why most 'Protection Detail' are only 2" (5cm) on average taller than 'protectees'. Primarily to shield VIPs from 'incoming' objects, but it can make it hard to retain 'headroom' in vehicles that are armoured, most 'secure' vehicles are SUVs to allow for 5" / 10cm of 'protective materials'.  I could give you details, but like they say in movies "but then I'd have to shoot you". 

😜

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

First, you and @raven1 are doing a stalwart job on this story. You've both been doing your research (or is that Google desiring the accolades?), however; Apps and AI (Lord help us), are only as good as their programmers and continue to be rife with errors (?), intentional or otherwise, depending on which 'masters' they are reporting back to  👀 As for "I'm just waiting for the problems to occur" and "...what can or will go wrong? What problems are around the corner"? Bite your tongues, and "Don't borrow trouble".

Having said that I suspect the 'friendship' bracelets the children are wearing contain tracking 'chips', like those given to young "protectees" by their 'minders' (like Jacob).

Ps: At 6'7" (2m) Jacob will have a hard time fitting in the Range Rover, even with the seat in lowest position and the seatback angled back at least 5° 🦒 BTW, Having previously worked in 'Foreign Service' I am familiar with 'special needs vehicles', and why most 'Protection Detail' are only 2" (5cm) on average taller than 'protectees'. Primarily to shield VIPs from 'incoming' objects, but it can make it hard to retain 'headroom' in vehicles that are armoured, most 'secure' vehicles are SUVs to allow for 5" / 10cm of 'protective materials'.  I could give you details, but like they say in movies "but then I'd have to shoot you". 

😜

Thanks for the comments Anton, they are appreciated. I can't tell you where the information or research comes from or we may end up in a Mexican stand-off 🔫, but I'd rather we kept weapons holstered as mine is only a water pistol, lol. We are not trying to borrow trouble, we're just keeping an open mind, it's just prudent that's all. :whistle:

The friendship bracelets were Joseph'd idea, bought from a market trader they don't contain tracker devices. Their mobile phones contain activated GPS signals.

From the pool of cars owned by his employers, Jacob prefers the Land Rover Discovery 4, as it has more space for his big frame and performs almost as well as the Range Rover on the road and has better performance off-road making it more practical in Israel. His role is more of a 'minder' than a protection detail which allows him to become closer and more friendly with his charges and doesn't require an armour-plated vehicle or other special provision. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 3/9/2024 at 7:24 PM, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. Kevin and Ian are really getting to know Joseph and create a bond with him. A great day at the zoo had by all.

I'm just waiting for the problems to occur.

Manny bonded with Joseph deeply, and Joseph's learning that Manny felt the same for Ian and Kevin made bonding with them easy. Ian and Kevin's loving nature was probably also a big factor in Joseph's quick bonding with the two young men.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 3/9/2024 at 9:05 PM, akascrubber said:

They all had good times shopping and seeing tourist type sites. The young ones really loved the petting zoo. The drivers/security guards are really fitting in and being accepted . The phones with GPS abilities are very good safety protections. 

Issac has to review the legal papers to work out any concerns tomorrow. But, Ian thinks he has a solution to help them get Joseph to the UK. He is going to dicuss it with Kevin. I wonder what Ian thinks will help?

The drivers, especially Jacob, are getting very close to Joseph, Ian and Kevin. I really liked how Jacob made sure Joseph also got a ride on his shoulders when he left the zoo. I hope that Ian's idea will help the situation if there are any problems. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 3/10/2024 at 4:03 AM, drsawzall said:

I hope Kevin and Ian discuss this idea with Isaac. Hopefully it will dovetail with Isaac's news...

Me, too.  I do hope there are no problems, but international guardianships and adoptions are difficult to obtain.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/10/2024 at 9:34 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

First, you and @raven1 are doing a stalwart job on this story. You've both been doing your research (or is that Google desiring the accolades?), however; Apps and AI (Lord help us), are only as good as their programmers and continue to be rife with errors (?), intentional or otherwise, depending on which 'masters' they are reporting back to  👀 As for "I'm just waiting for the problems to occur" and "...what can or will go wrong? What problems are around the corner"? Bite your tongues, and "Don't borrow trouble".

Having said that I suspect the 'friendship' bracelets the children are wearing contain tracking 'chips', like those given to young "protectees" by their 'minders' (like Jacob).

Ps: At 6'7" (2m) Jacob will have a hard time fitting in the Range Rover, even with the seat in lowest position and the seatback angled back at least 5° 🦒 BTW, Having previously worked in 'Foreign Service' I am familiar with 'special needs vehicles', and why most 'Protection Detail' are only 2" (5cm) on average taller than 'protectees'. Primarily to shield VIPs from 'incoming' objects, but it can make it hard to retain 'headroom' in vehicles that are armoured, most 'secure' vehicles are SUVs to allow for 5" / 10cm of 'protective materials'.  I could give you details, but like they say in movies "but then I'd have to shoot you". 

😜

Ian, Kevin and I suspect Joseph have already experienced a lot of trouble in their young lives.  I certainly don't wish them more.  The bracelets could have chips in them.  Jacob would be a prime suspect if that happens. We all saw how sneaky he could be when he turned an attempted robbery into a 'nice' experience without anyone other than possibly the other driver knowing what happened. 

If I ever need expert help with 'Foreign Service' or 'Protection Detail' information, will you help me @Anton_Cloche?

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..