Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,061 Words
  • 468 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 13. Beach Babies

p style="text-align:center;"> Tissue Warning

If you are of a sensitive nature please take note of the tissue warning and keep them handy as you read this chapter.

You have been warned.

The day following their arrival was a quiet one. Everyone enjoyed an early morning stroll on the sandy beach steps away from their house before the temperature rose to unbearable levels. Leaving the beach, they relaxed in the air-conditioned house until the hottest part of the day passed. A small outdoor swimming pool in a shaded corner of the garden was an unexpected bonus and helped to occupy the boys and keep them cool.

"Why not take a stroll on the beach before we eat?" Eli suggested to everyone as the sunset approached.

A cool breeze from the Mediterranean Sea was welcome after the warm day. The conversation was light but focused on places and things they would all like to see and do over the following days.

Nobody paid any attention to the car driving past. They had not seen it stop behind them. Nor had they seen the driver when he exited the car and placed the wooden crate on the beach. They continued their leisure walk for about another ten or fifteen minutes. Nobody was checking the time.

When they turned around to walk back to the house, the twins ran ahead. Like all six-year-olds, they were full of life, running, playing and chattering between themselves when they heard a whimpering sound. They stopped and looked at each other, then heard it again. They turned and ran to Shamira.

“Mommy, Mommy!” Aaron yelled.

“There is a baby crying over there!” Asher shouted. They both pointed in the general direction of the crate.

“Aaron, Asher, you must be hearing things. There are no babies out here...”

“MOMMY, WE HEARD IT. IT IS OVER THERE!” The twins cut her off, clamouring and pointing to where they heard the noise.

Before Shamira could reprimand the twins, Jacob cut in. “Shush, be quiet and listen.”

Then, they all heard a faint whining sound. Eli dashed in the general direction of the noise but swerved when he heard the noise again. Now, he could see the outline of the wooden crate in the dwindling light. Cautiously, he made his way toward it.

As he knelt, he knew there was something alive in the crate, but it was not a baby. Slowly opening the crate, he was greeted by the two excited puppies with short, sharp yips. They were adorable as their tails wagged, and they tried to jump up the sides of the crate to get to their rescuer, Eli. They looked like Labradors, one chocolate and the other golden in colour. There was puppy food inside and a note stuck to the outside of it. This did not look like someone wanted to be cruel.

Suddenly, from over his shoulder, Eli could hear a couple of 'oohs' and 'ahhs' followed by loud shrieks of delight from the twins.

“Babies!!” Shrieked the twins.

“They are puppies, not babies.” Shamira tried to tell the twins.

The reactions were priceless when two very indignant boys stood facing their mother. Joseph stood shaking his head, Eli hid his face, playing with the puppies, Jacob took a few steps away, and Ian and Kevin hid their smiles behind their hands.

Both boys were standing, legs akimbo, hands on hips and determined expressions on their faces. The twins spoke as they usually do. “Mommy, you do not know anything,” started Aaron.

“Puppies are dog babies,” continued Asher.

“So they are babies.” They finished together.

Faced with her son's logic and no argument against it, Shamira agreed and accepted that the twins were right. They are babies. As they could not leave them abandoned on the beach, Eli carried the crate, with the 'babies' inside, to the house as daylight faded.

The pups had been left in the crate with food and water. Jacob removed the note to read later. Everyone found a place to sit and enjoy the evening meal of sea bass with salad, falafel and fresh bread, followed by fresh fruit and ice cream.

When the meal was over, Joseph and the twins took the pups into the garden to do what pups usually do after eating and let them run around. Joseph had fun watching the twins play with the puppies and thought it was cute how the pups appeared to pick a twin each to follow about and play with. The two pups chased after the sticks the twins threw and dropped them at their own boy's feet, waiting for them to be thrown again. As boisterous as the pups could be, they never jumped up at the twins but were gentle and patient with them.

With the boys and pups out of the way, Jacob opened the note and read. He looked sad when he passed it to Shamira.

Everyone could see the emotions on Shamira’s face as she read;

Please forgive me for my actions. I am hoping that I am doing the right thing. I hope that the family with two small boys that I watched on the beach tonight are the people who find my babies. You look like a kind and loving family.

 

Since my parents passed away, I have been living off the money they left me while I continued my studies, but unfortunately, that money has run out, and I no longer have the means to look after my babies, their mother and myself. Please give them a home. I have left everything they need and the last of my money in the crate with them to help you. Do not worry about me. I will sell my car so that I have money, and I will find work instead of studying.

If you cannot look after them, please find a good home that can take care of them.

May God forgive me.

Benjamin.

 

Tearfully, Shamira checked the crate more closely. There was a small bag of dried puppy food and two more tins of meat. Under the blanket, she found two leads that matched the collars worn by the pups and an envelope. The envelope contained the registration papers for the pups and two thousand Shekels.

“We have to do something,” Shamira stated. She picked up her mobile phone to call Isaac. She knew Isaac would want to help this young, thoughtful man in need. Isaac agreed that Benjamin appeared to be a young man who needed help, and if he could not keep the pups, then Aaron and Asher could have them if they wanted to. That was quickly decided as the twins had already become attached and asked if they could keep them. Shamira ended the call after a short conversation between Isaac and both the twins. The twins were ecstatic and made sure everyone knew it. They made sure to thank their new friends, Jacob and Eli, for helping them find their new puppies.

“Jacob, Isaac said that we should try to find out what we can do to help Benjamin.” Shamira passed the money, letter and registration documents to Jacob. “He said to give you these, and you will know what to do.”

“Did he say anything else?”

“Just to trust you to do the right thing. He will be here as soon as he can tomorrow. He said that he has been busy, but with a little help, everything has fallen into place. Whatever that means. I guess we will find out tomorrow.”

Then she went to find Aaron, Asher and Joseph.

“What are you going to do, Jacob? What can you do?” asked Kevin.

Jacob had a small smile on his face. “Well, it looks like Benjamin was not thinking very clearly. Unless he has moved, his address is on these registration documents, so finding him should be easy. I can check that out tonight. The first thing I will do when I find him is give him his money back, he needs it. After that, it is up to him. It depends on what help he needs and is happy to accept.”

“Is there anything Ian and I can do to help?”

“Yes, if Eli will stay with Shamira and the boys, would you come with me? You could help me convince Benjamin to accept a little help.”

Kevin, Ian and Eli all agreed to Jacob’s plan by nodding their heads.

Eli and Joseph helped Shamira settle the twins in bed. Each had a puppy sleeping at the bottom of their bed. Ian, Kevin and Jacob had already left to find Benjamin.

 

When Jacob stopped outside the address on the registration documents, he realised this was not a good neighbourhood of Haifa and wondered if he had done right by bringing Ian and Kevin. However, the street was quiet, and Jacob was always prepared, so he didn’t worry that much. He watched as a young man came out of a small rundown house and put a sign that read, ‘For Sale’, on an old Toyota car. The young man did not look happy. A golden Labrador sat in the doorway of the house, watching him.

Quietly, Jacob approached. “Hey, are you selling that car?”

The young man was startled. “Ye...yes, are you interested in buying it?” It was easy to see the young man was nervous. His dog came up and nuzzled at his leg.

“I might be. It depends on how much you are asking for it. Why are you selling it anyway?”

“I, I need the money. I have to finish school and look for a job. You know what it is like. Things happen.” With his dog by his side, he gained a little confidence. “How much are you offering?”

“Let my friends look at it first, then we will talk about money.” Jacob signalled for Ian and Kevin to look the car over.

When Ian and Kevin came closer, the young man recognised them in the little light that existed. “You are the people from the beach. How did you find me? What do you want? I am sorry. Please do not hurt me.” Benjamin was frightened, then surprised when his dog walked up to Kevin with her tail wagging. She sat in front of him and placed a paw on his thigh.

Kevin knelt to stroke the dog as Ian spoke up. “Benjamin, we're not here to hurt you or cause you harm. Your address is on the pup's registration documents. That's how we found you. All we want to do is to speak to you and find out if we can help. It looks to me like you could do with a few friends.”

Jacob took a small wad of cash from his pocket and held it out. “Here, this is your money. Take it back you need it.”

Taking the cash, Benjamin stuttered. “Th...Th...Thank you.”

“Hey, Benjamin.” Kevin smiled as he spoke. “Can we go into your house so we can talk?”

“Y...Yes, yes, please come in.” Benjamin led the way into the rundown house with his dog close at his side.

Benjamin was hesitant at first and embarrassed that he could not offer refreshments, but while talking with them he realised these people wanted to help him. An hour later, Ian and Kevin accompanied Benjamin in his car, following Jacob to the house on Hubert Humphry Street. Not to be left out, Ariel, Benjamin's dog, shared the back seat with Kevin on the quiet ride back. Jacob called Shamira to tell her they were returning with more mouths to feed as Benjamin and his dog Ariel were with them. He did not tell Shamira Benjamin's story, he felt that was a story for Benjamin to tell.

Benjamin was welcomed with warm hugs from Shamira and a meal prepared by Eli. During the meal, Benjamin shared with Shamira, Jacob and Eli some sketchy information about his life. For the most part, it fit with what he had previously told Jacob.

Shamira's motherly instincts took over as she learned of his life over the last few years. Sleeping arrangements were changed for the night. Shamira slept with the twins, and Jacob shared with Benjamin in Shamira's room. They would need to rethink the sleeping arrangement when Isaac arrived the following day.

When they retired for the night, Ariel would only settle on the floor between the twin's beds. It was as if she felt her place was near her babies and their new charges.

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 8
  • Sad 3
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Wonderful chapter @Mancunian, that like ripples a stone makes when tossed in water, had both high and low points.

Benjamin, having lost his parents (?), and run out of money, leaves his 2-puppy 'family' in a wooden crate, plus food, water, a note and the last of his money (2,000 Shekels, approx £425, $540 U.S.) on the beach near a nice family with two boys playing; hoping they will adopt the puppies and give them a good home. 

Twins Aaron and Asher tell Mom Shamira they hear "a baby crying", pointing to the crate.

After discovering the puppies, Shamira gives in and they take the puppies (and crate) back to where they are staying.

Jacob reads the note and shares it with Shamira, where Benjamin writes: 

"I no longer have the means to look after my babies (puppies), their mother and myself. Please give them a home. ... 

May God forgive me"

Shamira calls Isaac, who instructs  Jacob, Ian and Kevin to find Benjamin (in a sketchy part of Haifa), give him back his money, and find out more details of his situation. As a result of talking with Benjamin, they invite him (and the puppies mama dog) back to the vacation house.

I suspect that while Joseph may be leaving soon for UK with his new 'brothers' Ian and Kevin, Aaron and Asher may soon have another 'big brother' figure in their lives with Benjamin.

There are many who believe that Jesus of Nazareth (Israel) has 'angels' on earth who do good works quietly without desire for recognition or reward. What many call "paying it forward". Manny was one such 'angel'. Helping Ian and Kevin while living in the UK, and rescuing Joseph while visiting Israel.

Benjamin being 'helped' by Isaac, Shamira, Jacob and others is another glowing example of Manny's legacy. 

Benjamin, God has heard you and you need no forgiveness!

        angels GIF

 

Thank you for your very touching comments. They are comments that I will treasure. :hug:

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/15/2024 at 9:07 PM, akascrubber said:

I can see this is going to be a good samaritan story. They will help a perspn in need.

It is wonderful how the love for puppies can bring people together.Benjamin saw the people on the beach and thought they would be good for the puppies of his dog. He was unable to care for them and is leaving school to get a job. The twins felll in love with the puppies and each puppy found a twin to favor. Jacob and Keith went out to find the owner, Benjamin, who had left registration papers for the puppies with their food and carrying box. After a decent conversation, they brought Benjamin and his dog with them. He shared a meal with them and is staying with them.  Isaac is arriving tomorrow. I am thinking they will find a way to help Benjamin.

Benjamin is a good kid, so I hope you are right and tomorrow will be a new start for Benjamin.  

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 3/15/2024 at 10:50 PM, Flip-Flop said:

Welcome to the "Boot World", This is the overriding theme of all of @Mancunian  Boot - Lost Soul stories.

Although this chapter had a tissue warning, I had a warmed heart feeling, knowing that things will most likely

look better for Benjamin soon.

One thing I love about The Boot Universe is that one good samaritan begets another and another.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/15/2024 at 11:11 PM, chris191070 said:

This was a sad, but heartwarming chapter. Benjamin will get the help he needs, he chose wisely for someone to look after the pups.

He did choose wisely. He did so using both his head and his heart.

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/16/2024 at 12:18 AM, drsawzall said:

I am content knowing Manny's legacy is carrying on through others. I am reminded of the ripples a pebble makes when tossed into water...

Those ripples have improved the lives of many people, and will continue spreading into the future.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 3/16/2024 at 9:31 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

Wonderful chapter @Mancunian, that like ripples a stone makes when tossed in water, had both high and low points.

Benjamin, having lost his parents (?), and run out of money, leaves his 2-puppy 'family' in a wooden crate, plus food, water, a note and the last of his money (2,000 Shekels, approx £425, $540 U.S.) on the beach near a nice family with two boys playing; hoping they will adopt the puppies and give them a good home. 

Twins Aaron and Asher tell Mom Shamira they hear "a baby crying", pointing to the crate.

After discovering the puppies, Shamira gives in and they take the puppies (and crate) back to where they are staying.

Jacob reads the note and shares it with Shamira, where Benjamin writes: 

"I no longer have the means to look after my babies (puppies), their mother and myself. Please give them a home. ... 

May God forgive me"

Shamira calls Isaac, who instructs  Jacob, Ian and Kevin to find Benjamin (in a sketchy part of Haifa), give him back his money, and find out more details of his situation. As a result of talking with Benjamin, they invite him (and the puppies mama dog) back to the vacation house.

I suspect that while Joseph may be leaving soon for UK with his new 'brothers' Ian and Kevin, Aaron and Asher may soon have another 'big brother' figure in their lives with Benjamin.

There are many who believe that Jesus of Nazareth (Israel) has 'angels' on earth who do good works quietly without desire for recognition or reward. What many call "paying it forward". Manny was one such 'angel'. Helping Ian and Kevin while living in the UK, and rescuing Joseph while visiting Israel.

Benjamin being 'helped' by Isaac, Shamira, Jacob and others is another glowing example of Manny's legacy. 

Benjamin, God has heard you and you need no forgiveness!

        angels GIF

 

Great comment, especially the last part. Benjamin's loving sacrifice of the puppies needs no forgiveness. The fact that he gave the last of his money for the puppies' welfare tells of his love.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..