Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,731 Words
  • 429 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 15. Almost Home

Isaac retrieved his briefcase from his car and sat with Ben, Ian and Kevin at the table. As he sat, Ben received a call which caused him to step away from the table. The call appeared to be very one-sided as Ben nodded, even though his nods could not be seen, and the occasional reply of “Yes,” “I see,” and “I understand.” The call ended when Ben answered, “I'll let you know within the next sixty to ninety minutes.”

“Sorry about that. Isaac would you like to continue.” Ben retook his seat at the table.

“Ian, Kevin, I am sure you want to know how everything is progressing, and you are probably wondering why Ben, my business partner and colleague, is with me today.” Isaac was flipping through the pages in the file he held as he spoke.

“Yeah, we're eager to know. Our flight is on Wednesday. We need to know what to sort out when we get home and when to arrange our next trip out here.” Kevin could not hide the nervousness in his voice. He felt sure that there would be a lot to do.

“Kev, take it easy and give Isaac a chance to explain.” Ian gave Kevin's hand a reassuring squeeze.

“I will try to be as brief as possible, but there is rather a lot to go through. First, you should know that since your visit to my office when you met Ben, he has helped me with the case by locating information and documents. I will let him tell you about his part soon.” Isaac was in Lawyer Mode as he reached into his case for a bulky legal folder.

“After you met with Mark, he naturally contacted me to discuss matters. You need to understand that when Manny passed away, he had already started trying to make arrangements for Joseph to return to the UK with him, as it was those arrangements had to be delayed due to Joseph's health. That is why the trust fund and care arrangements were set up. As you know, those who were entrusted with Joseph's care took advantage of the trust fund. At least they did look after Joseph and take care of him properly. The funds were syphoned off in the last six months and came to light during a scheduled audit. When this was discovered, new arrangements were made with regard to Joseph's care, which is why he now resides with my family and me. The funds have now been repaid, and those responsible have been dealt with.”

Isaac took a short break to help himself to a bottle of water before continuing. “It was at this point that it was decided to activate a codicil in Manny's will regarding the trust fund and place yourselves as the Governing Trustees. We also hoped that you would continue to make suitable provisions for Joseph. That is when Mark contacted you to arrange a meeting. When Mark informed me that you wanted to take on the guardianship of Joseph, I started to check what needed to be done to make this happen.

“If you remember, at our first meeting, I said that legal guardianship may be the easier and preferable option. That is in part due to the laws in both the UK and Israel regarding overseas adoption. I also had to consider the status of the only paperwork I had available regarding Joseph's citizenship. This could have posed a huge and possibly insurmountable stumbling block.”

“Ar...ar...are y...y...you saying that everything has been for nothing, that Joseph can't come home with us? There must be something we can do. There must be something.” Kevin was about to lose it. Ian's arms were wrapped around him, holding on tight, which was the sole reason for his continued sitting.

“Kev, you need to give them a chance to explain. Let them finish.” The underlying emotions showed in Ian's voice.

“No, Kevin. No, that is not what I am saying.” Nodding to Ben, Isaac asked. “Can you take it from here? To make sure that there is no misunderstanding.”

“I think that is wise.” Taking the bulky folder from Isaac, Ben continued. “Ian, Kevin, I can say that what has been said and done is not for nothing. When Isaac shared with me the challenges he was having, I called in a favour from a contact of mine. As it turns out, Manny's benevolence knows no bounds. There are a lot of people who have good memories of him and feel they are in his debt. If you can accept what I am about to tell and show you, then I have good news.”

Ben continued and explained that certain documents had recently 'been discovered'. Among them was a handwritten will of Emmanuel Joseph Goldstein that superseded the will executed by Mark Fellows back in the UK, rendering that will invalid. An authentic birth certificate for Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein, son of Emmanuel Joseph Goldstein and Miriam Goldstein. A death certificate for Miriam Goldstein, showing the cause of death to be heart failure, dated one month before Manny died. A valid Israeli passport for Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and documents granting full legal guardianship of Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein to Kevin Cole and Ian Johnson residing in Prestwich, Manchester, UK.

Ian and Kevin went through the whole gamut of emotions that culminated in shock and surprise. Kevin was very confused because Manny had told them both that he had no children.

Ben slid the will across the table for them to see.

“Can you confirm if the handwritten will is in Emmanuel Goldstein's handwriting?” Ben asked.

Puzzled and curious, wanting to know how this impacted them, Ian and Kevin nodded and answered. “Yes.”

“But....”

“Kevin, please do not ask questions that I cannot answer. Suffice it to say, you have more friends than you realise. I have many friends, and we all have one friend in common, Manny. Manny had many friends who would and still will do anything for him.” Ben smiled, then addressed Isaac. “I think it is back to you now.”

“Thank you, Ben. I appreciate all of the help and assistance that you have given.” Isaac then faced Ian and Kevin. “I am sure you want to know what this means, so let me explain. The newly discovered will is valid. Mark has a copy in the UK and is taking all the legal steps necessary for it to be recognised. The first difference between the two wills is that Joseph has been left twenty-five thousand pounds in a trust fund until his twenty-first birthday under the new will. Both of you and Mark are the trustees. On your return to the UK, you must transfer that amount plus any accrued interest to the account Mark is currently setting up. Speak to your accountants about any tax implications in the UK. You may be entitled to a refund if you have paid excess tax.

“The second is that the ten per cent partnership in the business that Manny owned when he died has also been left to Joseph. Again you will need to rectify that on your return to the UK. I again suggest you take that up with your accountant regarding any possible tax implications.

“The third and last difference is that as Manny and Miriam have no surviving relatives, except for Joseph, you are appointed as joint legal guardians of Joseph. If you check these documents, you will see that there are two sets of guardianship papers, one is written up under Israeli law, and the other complementary set is written up under British law. Both are legally valid and will be effective when you sign them.”

Kevin sat with his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish. He was speechless.

“Does this mean we can take Joseph home with us, and if so, what does this mean for Joseph as he isn't a UK citizen or have a UK passport?” Ian was concerned about Joseph's citizenship status.

“Yes, you can take Joseph home any time you choose. There is no need to delay taking him home. He can travel using his Israeli passport and does not need a visa. He may need to go through immigration control, but the documents you have should ensure entry without any problems. As Manny was a UK citizen as recognised on Joseph's birth certificate, Joseph is entitled to a UK passport and therefore has dual nationality. I suggest you apply for his UK passport when you return home, and instruct Mark to take the necessary steps to establish full UK citizenship, rescinding Joseph's claim to Israeli citizenship and passport. That last part is important. If Joseph retains his Israeli citizenship, he can be called up into the Israeli armed forces.”

Kevin was getting over the shock. “So if I get him a plane ticket, he can come home with us this Wednesday?”

“Yes. But can I suggest you speak to Joseph before you buy him a plane ticket?”

Isaac passed the guardianship documents for them to sign. With signatures in place, Ben signed as a witness and suggested that Jacob sign as the second witness. Their meeting was at an end, but no one was ready for the next challenge that would add a twist to their plans in a few moments.

The sound of yapping pups and young boy's laughter warned them of the returning beach walkers. Aaron and Asher, with Jed and Zac yapping at their heels, were first through the door. Shamira and Ariel followed close behind, and Jacob was the last to enter after allowing Joseph and Benjamin to go before him.

Joseph held Benjamin's hand tight. They stood in front of Ian and Kevin. The pleading look on both faces said everything as Joseph uttered one word. “Please.”

Ian and Kevin understood the plea and were not surprised by it, they had been expecting it. Following a nod from Ian, Kevin turned to Ben and Isaac. He did not need to ask.

Ben had been forewarned of this possibility during his earlier phone call. He picked up his phone, smiled and said. “I will make the call.”

Jacob led a conversation in which Benjamin confessed, revealed the truth and explained everything. Despite the lack of biological connection, the two boys felt a strong familial bond and wished to become brothers.

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 12
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

A wonderful chapter.

Joseph is going home with Kevin and Ian.

But a problem remains, Joseph has bonded with Ben as his brother.

Can the lawyers and Manny's friends solve this problem and allow Ben to go home with Joseph, Kevin and Ian.

They would make a wonderful family.

They would make a great family. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I do enjoy the cloak-and-dagger parts of this story.  Some are out in the open, and some in the subtle background, but they add a spicy bit of adventure and intrigue!  

If you're saying you want more from Tom and Dick, I may be able to arrange it. 🤔

3 minutes ago, raven1 said:

They would make a great family. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.

This one is out of my hands, I can't do anything. :whistle: :X

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Mancunian said:

Joseph has a better outlook for the future, as for Benjamin, I guess we have to wait and see. I'd say it's in the lap of the gods but the reality is, it's in the fingers of Tom and the Israeli tech guys.

Benjamin going to UK with Joseph (son of Manny and Miriam thanks to 🔷 ?) is less "in the lap of the gods", and more in the laptops of Tom, Ben and Israeli "techsperts" (tech + experts). And Ben presenting Manny's new Will, handwritten in Israel, that just needs Ian and Kevin's verification. 

“Can you confirm if the handwritten will is in Emmanuel Goldstein's handwriting?” Ben asked.

Puzzled and curious, wanting to know how this impacted them, Ian and Kevin nodded and answered. “Yes.”

“But....”

“Kevin, please do not ask questions that I cannot answer.

A question that does need an answer or clarification is this:

"Jacob led a conversation in which Benjamin confessed, 😕 revealed the truth and explained everything"

Confessed to what? 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 5
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Benjamin going to UK with Joseph (son of Manny and Miriam thanks to 🔷 ?) is less "in the lap of the gods", and more in the laptops of Tom, Ben and Israeli "techsperts" (tech + experts). And Ben presenting Manny's new Will, handwritten in Israel, that just needs Ian and Kevin's verification. 

“Can you confirm if the handwritten will is in Emmanuel Goldstein's handwriting?” Ben asked.

Puzzled and curious, wanting to know how this impacted them, Ian and Kevin nodded and answered. “Yes.”

“But....”

“Kevin, please do not ask questions that I cannot answer.

A question that does need an answer or clarification is this:

"Jacob led a conversation in which Benjamin confessed, 😕 revealed the truth and explained everything"

Confessed to what? 

Techsperts, I like that, have you created a new word? They have done a great job for Joseph, but let's not ask how.

Benjamin's conversation in the previous chapter was with Jacob, at this point he believes he is the only one who knows the truth and is unaware of Ben's conversation with John. This is where Benjamin comes clean with everybody about his age and his circumstances, previously a few only suspected. I should have made this more clear in the story, sorry.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Mancunian said:

Techsperts, I like that, have you created a new word?

Not sure I have, but if I did, where and how to get credit for it! Surely worth a few , £ or $,  maybe enough for coffee and a pastry?  😉

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Mancunian

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Not sure I have, but if I did, where and how to get credit for it! Surely worth a few , £ or $,  maybe enough for coffee and a pastry?  😉

Good luck in getting a pay out for it, lol. :gikkle:

Edited by Mancunian
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..