Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,416 Words
  • 426 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 4. Preparations

Early evening three weeks later, Marty and The Major were enjoying pre-meal drinks in The Grenadiers Arms when two men entered and approached them. Nothing about them attracted attention from other customers, but to the trained eye, they gave off the air of a military background. That was given away by the way they held themselves as they walked. The slight limp of the shorter man was almost unnoticeable.

The Major stood, smiling as he held out his hand. “Good evening, Captain, Lieutenant. Please take a seat.”

The shorter man addressed them. “Good evening, Major, Captain.” The men sat as the formal greetings ended.

“Okay, lads, now we've got that out of the way, let's drop the formalities.” Marty stood with the empty glasses in his hand. “We all know each other, and let's have a fresh round of drinks before we eat. The same for you, Alex?” The Major nodded. “And for you, lads?”

“We'll have shandy, please, Marty. It's better to keep a clear head in our business,” replied Drew, the shorter man. “Do you need a hand... shit, sorry, that's a poor choice of words. I mean, can I help you?”

“Don't worry about it.” Marty was not offended. Waving his prosthetic he continued “Yes, please, a full pair of hands will carry the drinks better than my one. This thing might look good but it's bloody useless when it comes to carrying drinks.” Marty's face lit up with a smile. Drew and Marty returned with drinks. While enjoying the drinks, the group caught up with each others’ lives.

The men got to business after an enjoyable meal of fresh sea bass, vegetables and sautéed potatoes, followed by lemon sorbet. Aiden, the taller man, started the conversation. “So, guys, I understand that you need some assistance.”

“Well, it's more like advice at the moment, but some assistance may be needed somewhere down the line.” Marty started. “I'll Let Alex explain. It's his boys that may need some help.”

The Major cleared his throat and began. Ox gave the men some background information about 'his boys' and went on to explain the current situation regarding Ian, Kevin and Joseph. Then he asked if there was any possibility Drew and Aiden could help.

“You may not need much help, if any, but a low level of personal security wouldn't do any harm. That's for the lads on any visits and Joseph while he remains in Israel. That's more Aiden's side of the business than mine, so I'll let him assess and advise. He will need up-to-date photographs or to meet the people to provide effective cover.” Drew paused and looked thoughtful before continuing. “If there are any problems regarding paperwork and documents, I can look into it and probably deal with that. I'd really need to know and see what they have, then I can properly assess what can, and needs, to be done.”

“I can introduce you to Ian and Kevin, but Joseph is in Israel, as are his documents, so a photo and copies are the best I can do there.” The Major felt uncomfortable as he continued. “But my financ.…”

“Don't worry about finances, Alex.” Aiden butted in. “You are family, and this is for your family, so it's covered in full. Consider it us repaying our debt to you.”

Hearing this, The Major became emotional. He knew his friends were loyal and faithful. Their support once again confirmed that, and his eyes felt heavy. He said a simple “Thank You.” Nothing else needed to be said among his comrades.

Information was passed on and arrangements made, as the conversation continued until late in the evening. The only details left were confirmation of travel and accommodation that would be given in due course.

 

Kevin soon discovered that arranging flights to Israel was an easy task, and round-trip flights from Manchester to Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv had been booked with Lufthansa. Both outbound and return flights involved a brief stopover in Munich. The only available tickets were in business class but were booked regardless of cost. Isaac Lehrer, Mark's brother-in-law, would meet them at Ben Gurion airport and take them to his home on the outskirts of Jerusalem, where they would be staying, and Joseph was now living.

Ian spent a lot of his time at their shop in Prestwich working with Sean to make sure Sean was ready to look after the shops while they were away. Before Ian and Kevin were ready to depart, Sean was running the business and giving daily performance reports. Sean was proving his value to the business.

Kevin had a much harder task researching the overseas adoption and legal guardianship processes. It was very tedious and complex, and no matter which path they took, bringing Joseph to the UK meant that they may still need to be approved by their local authority. What Kevin did discover was that if Joseph was a UK citizen legal guardianship could be a lot easier. They also needed to be approved by the authorities in Israel and be granted legal guardianship or allowed to adopt according to Israeli law. All of this meant that it could be a long and expensive process.

As daunting as it seemed, Ian and Kevin had taken the initial steps to register as foster/adoptive parents with their local authority. The forms were lengthy, asking personal questions about their background and current personal circumstances. After completing the forms and an initial interview, they had passed stage one. Now, numerous personal references, medical reports and a full criminal background check were required before going on to the next stage.

The next stage would be to attend a training course that all prospective foster/adoptive parents must take. This would be followed by a final assessment. In the meantime, they had to go to Israel to meet Joseph, who was living with Isaac and Shamira Lehrer, and their twin boys now.

At two in the morning on departure day, Ian and Kevin dragged themselves sleepily out of bed. They had gone to bed early the night before, but a mixture of excitement and nervousness resulted in a restless sleep for them both. Fresh coffee and showers woke them before they dressed, ready for their journey. After placing their suitcases near the door, Kevin made one last check to ensure that their passports, airline tickets and wallets were in their pockets.

Kevin watched Ian pacing to and fro in their large lounge before he spoke. “I'm guessing that you're nervous?”

Ian stopped in his tracks glancing at Kevin. “Yes, but not for the reasons you're thinking. The flight isn't bothering me.”

“Really?” Kevin questioned. “I know you're not the biggest fan of flying, so if it's not that what's bothering you, what is? Are you nervous about meeting Joseph?”

'Yes, but it's not just that.” The look on Ian's face told Kevin everything.

“I know, you're afraid that Joseph won't like us, aren't you?” Ian nodded. “And you're afraid that we will let Manny down.” Ian nodded again. “Well, do you remember what Pop told us yesterday?”

“Yeah,” Ian half smiled. “He said if we just relax and be ourselves Joseph will love us.”

“That's right. He also said to trust the lawyers to do their job and if we have any problems to call him, remember?” Kevin paused momentarily to gather his thoughts. “If we do our best we won't let Manny down either, got it?”

“Yeah, but...”

“No ‘buts’ Mr Johnson! We will bring Joseph home, maybe not this time, but we will bring him home. I can feel it.” Kevin suppressed his own nervous feelings as he tilted his head up slightly and drew Ian into a passionate kiss.

It was just before three o'clock when Steve arrived to take them to Manchester airport. By 3:30, he had dropped them off at Terminal 1. Saying their goodbyes to Steve, Kevin and Ian entered departures and went to the Lufthansa desk. There, they checked in their suitcases and were given boarding passes before being directed to the express security gate. After passing through security, the first stop was to find comfortable seats in the business class lounge and get a much-needed coffee while waiting to board their flight. Eventually, they were called to the boarding gate and were among the first to board. After a stopover in Munich to board the connecting flight. As expected, they reached Tel Aviv late in the afternoon.

I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 10
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

I am learning how time consuming and detailed is the overseas adoption process. Things take time.

Well, the safety efforts are well underway and handled by trusted friends. Ian and Keith are now on their flight to Israel. Thank goodness they are flying business class. It will allow them to be rested and better able to handle the stress when they land. Be themselves, they were told, and assume and hope Joseph will grow to like them. They really are his only hope for a much happier future.

The adoption process is long, tedious and time-consuming, an overseas adoption is even more so. But if someone wants it enough, they will go with it and see it through.

Ian and Kevin are naturally nervous and apprehensive, which is understandable especially when it involves an older child who can think for themselves. They have been given good advice from Pop and they have a lot of support. They are not rich, but they are financially comfortable, hopefully, they will succeed as they have a lot in their favour, but there are no guarantees and Joseph's future depends on many things. Keep your fingers crossed, I am. 🤞

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment

Great detail given into the adoption process, both for Israel and the UK.

The journey begins for Kevin and Ian. First step, meet Joseph.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great detail given into the adoption process, both for Israel and the UK.

The journey begins for Kevin and Ian. First step, meet Joseph.

Ian and Kevin are making the journey to meet Joseph and hopefully get the ball rolling. But given Joseph's status and the political climate in Israel, can they do this?

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Things are never as simple as they seem or should be…have patience and fortitude, and excuse the pun but…think of England and all will workout!

I have my fingers crossed that it all works out, somehow. 🤞

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
Anton_Cloche

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Mancunian said:

Ian and Kevin are making the journey to meet Joseph and hopefully get the ball rolling. But given Joseph's status and the political climate in Israel, can they do this?

Another good chapter @Mancunian with lots of details to be found "reading between the lines".

Apologies in advance for the length of this comment (twice edited by me).

The Major (aka Ox / Alex) and Marty's dinner meeting with their "connections" Drew and Aiden in a pub with a military ambiance was very fitting. Something out of a John le Carré novel?

Ian & Kevin are on their way. 

As for adoption issues, there are a few things to consider. IF Joseph somehow has UK citizenship, or if one of his biological parents or grandparents were British subjects (even before 1948) there are provisions that make Joseph eligible for citizenship (mine via my Portsmouth Grandfather). 

The Israeli system for adoption however is made more difficult if Joseph has no such claim to the UK. Israel does not usually permit adoption of Jewish children by non-Israeli citizens, however as Manny was an Israeli citizen he could "adopt" Joseph since Joseph is deemed (by ?) to be Palestinian.

However, The Palestinian Authority (PA) under Shari'a Law has rejected the concept of adoption as it exists in the western world but presents several alternatives including personal liability, declaration of "guardianship", bestowing a gift and leaving a last will and testament.

It was previously stated that Manny had "guardianship" of Joseph, and it is clear(ish) that Manny made provisions for Joseph in his Last Will. The PA having already allowed Manny to be Joseph's legal guardian, plus the provisions of Manny's Will meets two requirements. It will be Israeli hurdles to jump. IMHO. 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Another good chapter @Mancunian with lots of details to be found "reading between the lines".

Apologies in advance for the length of this comment (twice edited by me).

The Major (aka Ox / Alex) and Marty's dinner meeting with their "connections" Drew and Aiden in a pub with a military ambiance was very fitting. Something out of a John le Carré novel?

Ian & Kevin are on their way. 

As for adoption issues, there are a few things to consider. IF Joseph somehow has UK citizenship, or if one of his biological parents or grandparents were British subjects (even before 1948) there are provisions that make Joseph eligible for citizenship (mine via my Portsmouth Grandfather). 

The Israeli system for adoption however is made more difficult if Joseph has no such claim to the UK. Israel does not usually permit adoption of Jewish children by non-Israeli citizens, however as Manny was an Israeli citizen he could "adopt" Joseph since Joseph is deemed (by ?) to be Palestinian.

However, The Palestinian Authority (PA) under Shari'a Law has rejected the concept of adoption as it exists in the western world but presents several alternatives including personal liability, declaration of "guardianship", bestowing a gift and leaving a last will and testament.

It was previously stated that Manny had "guardianship" of Joseph, and it is clear(ish) that Manny made provisions for Joseph in his Last Will. The PA having already allowed Manny to be Joseph's legal guardian, plus the provisions of Manny's Will meets two requirements. It will be Israeli hurdles to jump. IMHO. 

There is no need to apologise for a lengthy comment, all comments are welcome.

The Grenadiers Arms has featured in two other Boot World stories, Marty is the landlord and runs it with his son Martin. It is a fitting name for an inn run by an ex-serviceman and appealed as an appropriate place for friends to meet. :whistle: It is just a normal friendly British country inn, honest. :whistle:

Your comments regarding Israeli law and Shari'a law that the Palestinians recognise. This is where the problems will come from, especially if you take in the correct context the comments of the solicitor in Manchester. Joseph's 'paperwork' may be insufficient. The comments are below for ease of reference.

 “I will try to answer all of your questions. Things would not be good for him because he is not an Israeli national. He is a Palestinian, a refugee of the conflict, but he has no paperwork to prove it. Without the paperwork, he would just be considered a transient refugee. From speaking to the Israeli solicitor, I think, although I can not be sure, Manny wanted to bring him to the UK. Manny finally did obtain 'legitimate’ paperwork. I do use the word legitimate advisedly. The boy was named Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and is now twelve years old. Please try to be calm and rational and take time to think about things.” Mark looked at them with a tear and hope in his eyes. Joseph’s future depended on what these two men did next.

The underlined comments could be of particular concern so I hope the lawyers can find something to work on. 🤞

  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment
On 3/6/2024 at 10:13 PM, akascrubber said:

I am learning how time consuming and detailed is the overseas adoption process. Things take time.

Well, the safety efforts are well underway and handled by trusted friends. Ian and Keith are now on their flight to Israel. Thank goodness they are flying business class. It will allow them to be rested and better able to handle the stress when they land. Be themselves, they were told, and assume and hope Joseph will grow to like them. They really are his only hope for a much happier future.

I'm glad Kevin got things set up in the UK and for the trip to Israel. Ian getting things set up so the business continues was also a great help. I agree that booking in business class would be beneficial. They are probably under a lot of stress, worrying about what will happen when they arrive.  They don't need the extra stress of fighting airport queues and waiting for baggage.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 3/6/2024 at 10:49 PM, chris191070 said:

Great detail given into the adoption process, both for Israel and the UK.

The journey begins for Kevin and Ian. First step, meet Joseph.

I wonder what the boy will think about Kevin and Ian when Joseph first meets them.  I'm betting he will be a bit scared our boys won't like him.  

  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I wonder what the boy will think about Kevin and Ian when Joseph first meets them.  I'm betting he will be a bit scared our boys won't like him.  

A bit scared? I'll bet he is absolutely terrified after everything he has been through. I'm hoping Ian and Kevin can ease his fears.

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 3/6/2024 at 11:19 PM, drsawzall said:

Things are never as simple as they seem or should be…have patience and fortitude, and excuse the pun but…think of England and all will workout!

I hope both Ian and Kevin will have patience and fortitude.  Overseas adoptions are never easy.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I enjoyed reading your comment @Anton_Cloche.  My favourite part of this chapter was the meeting between Ox and three of his comrades.  Your comment ties in well with your comment in the prior chapter.  I also like the information you added about the complications of Israeli adoption laws as well as those of the Palestinians. I learned some new facts.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..