Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,202 Words
  • 478 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 3. The Major Returns

Following the meeting, Ian was quiet, which did not go unnoticed by many of the guests. It was not that he was not happy; he was, but he was also surprised and in shock at the revelations.

Kevin, being Kevin, took charge of the situation and, after speaking quietly with Kate, left Ian in her charge. While Kevin welcomed guests, he also fended off questions regarding Ian's subdued behaviour. When Christian and Andy arrived, Kevin took them into the study.

“Hey, what's this? Are you trying to keep Andy away from the food? I promise he is now fully trained in table manners and party etiquette. Honestly, he will behave.” Christian enjoyed ribbing his life partner and his 'little brothers'. Sensing apprehension from Kevin, his tone became concerned. “Kevin, where's Ian? What's happened? Everything is alright, isn't it?”

“Ian is with Kate. She's keeping an eye on him. I'll give you a brief run-through of what's happened. I think it might be a good idea to let everyone know this afternoon before we get started, and as for everything being okay..... well..... I hope it will be when things get sorted out. We may need some help. I wish Pop were here.”

The looks on Christian and Andy’s faces were puzzled at first, then shocked and amazed as Kevin continued explaining the meeting with Mark.

“Helping is no problem. You just let us know what you need and when you need it. We all have your back.” Christian enveloped Kevin in a reassuring hug.

“Sorry to break up the hugs and all, especially as I'm denied my part in this hug fest. But by the sound of the car pulling in, I think one wish is about to be granted.” Andy was smiling as he went to open the front door.

Kevin's face looked blank as he broke the hug, then realisation hit, and he ran outside to the drive. The Major and Marty had returned from their holiday in The Scottish Highlands. The Major, Pop, exited the car as Marty put the car in neutral and switched off the engine. Immediately, he was swept into the arms of an excited Kevin.

“Okay. Okay, you're excited to see me, but please loosen up, or you'll crush this poor old man to death.” The Major loosened Kevin's grip, gaining space to breathe. Concerned, he rubbed his hand soothingly up and down Kevin's back. “Now, what brings this on? You're not usually this excited to see me, and what's with the tears? Now spill the beans and tell your Pop what's happened.”

“I will, but first,” Kevin turned to Christian and Andy. “Would you guys get Ian for me, please? We need to speak to Pop together.”

Andy and Christian left to join the BBQ party and to pass on the news of The Major's arrival. On hearing the news, Ian made his way to the study.

After welcoming hugs from Ian and listening to the news, The Major spoke. “That sounds like Manny to a tee, and while I am a bit surprised, I really shouldn't be. I hope to see a happy resolution for Joseph's sake. I don't want to put a damper on your news, but lads, you must be mindful that there are no guarantees in bringing Joseph here to the UK, and if it can be pulled off, it could take a long time. Also, you may need some specialist help.” The Major stared at Marty, who nodded in answer to the unasked question. “The specialist help I'm talking about is...unique. I'm not prepared to discuss this at the moment, if at all. Marty and I have some contacts that may be useful.

The Major paused. He started speaking again, giving Ian and Kevin instructions. “I need you to do two things if you want our help. First, permit Mark to share his knowledge and future dealings with us. Trust us and ask no questions. Second, you must check what you must do to adopt a child from overseas. If you want him to come to the UK, you may have to adopt him, and you must comply with any legal requirements to do that. Is that agreed?”

“Yes, Pop, we agree to do that and will do anything else needed to get Joseph here with us. We believe it was Manny's wish, which has made it ours, too.” Pop was back in The Major mode and in control. It didn’t escape Ian’s notice that The Major was ordering them to not ask questions. Strange as that was, it allowed Ian to feel more relaxed and confident. Ian was back to his usual self and more animated.

Marty looked serious as he added his comments. “You need to get started immediately. Start with Mark. You know what to do. The Major has given you his marching orders, but I will add one more. Get your asses out there to meet this young lad! Don't you think you should meet and get to know him and ask him what he wants? After all, it is his life we are talking about, and he should have a say in what happens.”

“Kev, can you make the arrangements for that?” Kevin nodded. He knew he was best at that job. Ian would be responsible for making arrangements for their business.

Ian continued, sounding like the Major. “I'll need to speak to Sean. I may need to reassess his position and pay him a bonus. He's invaluable and deserves it.”

At about eight in the evening, the barbecue was winding down, and most had left to go home. Among the last was Jeff, who left for a night shift at The Old Shoe Factory. Sean and his partner left after an intense but rewarding conversation with Ian and Kevin. Sean was deliriously happy with his new position as Senior Manager, which included extra responsibility, increased salary and benefits. Kate, Steve, Max, Stacy and their boys had stayed to help with the cleanup, so Ian and Kevin headed to bed early. It had been an emotionally rough day.

Monday morning, Ian drove to the Prestwich store for a management meeting with Sean. This was to prepare Sean for their extended absence while in Israel and to let him know if he needed help or support during that time, to contact Christian. If it was anything major Christian would contact them immediately.

Kevin was busy booking flights to Israel. Flights to Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv-Yafo were not cheap. He also needed to complete the required entry forms online. While visas were not needed, the forms were still complicated and necessary.

Travel arrangements and accommodation in Jerusalem were made with assistance from Mark and his brother-in-law, who would meet them. They would stay with his family and meet Joseph.

At the same time, Marty and The Major made arrangements with their 'contacts', and arranged to meet them in a quiet location just outside Manchester. The ‘contacts’ were engaged to discreetly keep 'an eye' on two visitors to Israel and assist if needed. Using skills he had employed in his military job again gave The Major a bit of a tingle in his spine.

I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 12
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

8 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

Good progress. The Major talked to Keith and a calmed down Ian. They agreed about the need to meet Joseph in Israel to find out his wishes. They are willing to adopt him and follow UK laws. After making the arrangements, they flew to Israel. The Major used his military contacts to watch over Keith and Ian in Israel--and maybe help Joseph leave? The Major is invaluable. Let us hope their meetings in Israel go well and they are safe.

All is looking good at the moment, let's hope it stays that way. 🤞

What we have to remember is that there are still many hurdles to jump and anything could happen.

  • Wow 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Ian and Kevin were calmed down my the return of the Major, which is good.

The Major taking control of the situation is perfect for Ian and Kevin, as The Major stated, they have alot of work to do and many hurdles to cross, before they can bring Joseph home.

The Major is the perfect man to have in charge of any situation, but what contacts does he have? And what can they do?

  • Love 5
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

The Major is the perfect man to have in charge of any situation, but what contacts does he have? And what can they do?

A man of The Majors calibre, probably has alot of contacts from his time in the army. He will have alot of friends that can do things, that are not asked about.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
raven1

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, akascrubber said:

Good progress. The Major talked to Keith and a calmed down Ian. They agreed about the need to meet Joseph in Israel to find out his wishes. They are willing to adopt him and follow UK laws. After making the arrangements, they flew to Israel. The Major used his military contacts to watch over Keith and Ian in Israel--and maybe help Joseph leave? The Major is invaluable. Let us hope their meetings in Israel go well and they are safe.

Hi @akascrubber. Mark's news caught Ian and Kevin off guard, leaving them both stressed. Ian was helped by Kate, and John and Andy helped Kevin.  When The Major arrived, he was able to calm both as he took charge of the situation.  I know that the boys will set up things to allow Joseph to enter the UK, but will they be able to do the same in Israel?  I think Israeli laws will be a big challenge.  I question whether The Major's connections extend that far.

 

Edited by raven1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 3
Link to comment

Ian and Keith appear now to be in good hands, as long as they follow the path laid out, things should work out…Fingers crossed…

  • Love 4
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Ian and Keith appear now to be in good hands, as long as they follow the path laid out, things should work out…Fingers crossed…

I'm praying that your faith in Ian and Kevin is well-placed, I know they will do their best and I'm hoping it's enough. 🤞 🙏

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/5/2024 at 12:16 PM, Mancunian said:

The Major is the perfect man to have in charge of any situation, but what contacts does he have? And what can they do?

This good chapter reveals things that require plans to be put in motion, with 'back up' and 'special assistance' if, when and where required with the more than capable aid of the 'Major'. Those without military background or understanding should know that being 'mustered out' in good order means the Major (Pop) had / has invaluable connections, assets and resources available to him for life. (Long after leaving his 'active' service). These very likely include Special Operations and Intelligence, at home and abroad (including Israel).

So, as @Mancunian and @raven1 work their magic on the coming chapters, Ian and Kevin have a trip to make, an important visit, and decisions to weigh ⚖️🫰

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 3/5/2024 at 5:43 PM, chris191070 said:

A man of The Majors calibre, probably has alot of contacts from his time in the army. He will have alot of friends that can do things, that are not asked about.

The Major does have friends, but are they that well-placed? What would they do?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

This good chapter reveals things that require plans to be put in motion, with 'back up' and 'special assistance' if, when and where required with the more than capable aid of the 'Major'. Those without military background or understanding should know that being 'mustered out' in good order means the Major (Pop) had / has invaluable connections, assets and resources available to him for life. (Long after leaving his 'active' service). These very likely include Special Operations and Intelligence, at home and abroad (including Israel).

So, as @Mancunian and @raven1 work their magic on the coming chapters, Ian and Kevin have a trip to make, an important visit, and decisions to weigh ⚖️🫰

I'm not sure what you mean about The Major's friends :whistle: although in The Boot he did tell Christian (when he was in the guise as John) that he was in Military intelligence. But what possible contacts could he have now? :whistle: 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
23 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Ian and Keith appear now to be in good hands, as long as they follow the path laid out, things should work out…Fingers crossed…

Where there is a will, there is a way. Kevin, Ian and The Major definitely have the will to make this happen.  Like Anton said in his comment, The Major and Marty may have a way to pull it off. I am also crossing my fingers and adding a prayer.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

This good chapter reveals things that require plans to be put in motion, with 'back up' and 'special assistance' if, when and where required with the more than capable aid of the 'Major'. Those without military background or understanding should know that being 'mustered out' in good order means the Major (Pop) had / has invaluable connections, assets and resources available to him for life. (Long after leaving his 'active' service). These very likely include Special Operations and Intelligence, at home and abroad (including Israel).

So, as @Mancunian and @raven1 work their magic on the coming chapters, Ian and Kevin have a trip to make, an important visit, and decisions to weigh ⚖️🫰

Interesting comment.  I also thought that the 'special assistance' being 'unique' suggested something like Special Ops when connected with Pop's rank in the service.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Mancunian said:

I'm not sure what you mean about The Major's friends :whistle: although in The Boot he did tell Christian (when he was in the guise as John) that he was in Military intelligence. But what possible contacts could he have now? :whistle: 

Did you forget or lose a soul? :whistle:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Mancunian said:

The Major does have friends, but are they that well-placed? What would they do?

:X

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Did you forget or lose a soul? :whistle:

How could I forget. The Major's story is told in Lost Soul - The Ox, which may give a clue or two, or maybe it won't. :whistle:

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..