Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,328 Words
  • 430 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is a re-write of the original story posted in 2022, it is more than an edit which corrects poor grammar and punctuation. It also contains added dialogue and descriptive text which expands and tells their story better and has been achieved with the help of @raven1.

Goldstein Johnson & Cole (2024 re-write) - 14. Benjamin's Secret

Shamira was up at seven thirty the following morning. After dressing, she collected the dogs from the twins’ room, and let them out in the garden. After starting the coffee maker she poured herself a glass of orange juice. Joseph and Benjamin soon joined her. As they sat beside each other, she noticed that Benjamin and Joseph appeared closer in age and build than she first thought. Her 'women's intuition' told her there was more to Benjamin's story than he let on. If she was right, he needed help more than he admitted.

Joseph poured them a glass of juice, and Benjamin gathered up a few plastic bags to clean up the dog's poop. Carrying juice and bags, the two boys went outside.

The smell of coffee brewing roused Ian, Kevin, Jacob and Eli. They all helped themselves to a cup of the dark nectar when they entered the kitchen. Aaron and Asher came running through, still in their nightclothes. They glanced around before running out to the garden to join Joseph, Benjamin and the dogs.

With the sound of dogs and children playing in the garden. Shamira started to rise. “I think it is time to start making breakfast.”

Eli placed his hand on Shamira's arm. “I have got this. You sit and relax.”

“You look deep in thought. Is everything okay?” Kevin enquired of Shamira.

Shamira shared her concerns about Benjamin with Ian and Kevin. They agreed that there could be more to Benjamin's story than first thought and included Eli and Jacob in the conversation. Jacob recalled his 'gut feeling' when he saw a photo in Benjamin's home of a couple and two young boys, one younger than the other. His investigative brain was already working.

Jacob went outside to check over the vehicles. Fuel, oil and all other fluid levels on the coach were good. When Jacob looked at Benjamin's car, he just shook his head. It was in poor condition, probably dangerous and just one small step away from the scrap yard.

Jacob also called his boss and relayed what he knew of Benjamin's family and circumstances, asking if they could complete a full check on him and his family. If Shamira's intuition and Jacob's gut feeling were correct, they might need expert help quickly. Knowing he would get answers to his questions soon, he ended the call and entered the house.

Opening the refrigerator, Eli took out eggs, sausages and bacon. He turned on the oven, set the temperature, and got the pancake mix and maple syrup.

“Eli, we cannot eat sausage and bacon. What are you thinking?” Shamira was not amused.

“Do not worry. It is all kosher, so there is no sin. I have turkey sausages and cured turkey rashers. If you have not tried it before, trust me, you are in for a treat. It is a heavy filling breakfast, but delicious and makes a nice change from the usual breakfast.”

Eli showed Shamira the ingredient lists and kosher certification on the labels. Satisfied that everything was in order, Shamira helped herself to another glass of juice and relaxed. It was wonderful not to cook, and she appreciated that Eli respected the family’s beliefs when preparing meals.

Ian laid the table ready for breakfast while Kevin went to get the boys washed up and ready to eat. Stomachs were rumbling as the delicious smell of a hot breakfast wafted through the house.

Eli had just started the last batch of pancakes when a car stopped outside, and the dogs started barking. Benjamin went to quiet the dogs while Jacob checked who had stopped outside.

He shouted to the kitchen, “Eli, I hope you have prepared enough breakfast. It looks like we have two more to feed.” Having recognised Isaac’s car, Jacob went to open the front door.

When Isaac and a second man entered the house, they were first greeted by Ariel growling with her hackles up. Either side of her was a pup, copying her by trying to look and sound fierce.

Aaron and Asher looked up to see who had arrived. Their eyes lit up as they saw their father and ran to him. “Avi, Avi, you are here.” They chorused, hugging and kissing their father as he knelt.

Ariel immediately quieted and sat watching the boys greet their father. Sensing a change in their mother’s behaviour, the pups followed the twins, greeting Isaac.

Ben Cohen, Isaac's colleague, stood in the doorway watching in amusement as the excited boys and pups 'attacked' Isaac.

“Come on through, Ben.” Shamira invited. “Are you going to join us for breakfast, or have you both eaten?”

“We barely had time for coffee and bagels before Isaac dragged me into the car, so that is a yes to breakfast, especially if what I smell is what I think it is.”

“I always cook too much, so there is plenty. If by any chance I am wrong, we will just put Jacob on a diet. He needs to lose some weight anyway.” Eli laughed as he spoke.

“Humpff, there is nothing wrong with my weight. I’m just big. Magic up more pancakes, Harry Potter, or you can do without.” The glint in Jacob's eyes belied his indignant words.

Quick as a whip, Eli replied, “Go tend to your beasts, Hagrid!”

Joseph was the first to laugh, followed by Benjamin, then Kevin. The laughter became infectious, and soon everybody was laughing. When the laughing stopped, Eli prepared more pancakes, and extra places were set at the table.

Breakfast was a lively affair with more laughter and different conversations taking place. The instant bond formed between Joseph and Benjamin did not go unnoticed. They behaved like brothers who had just met up after spending time apart. From where Jacob sat, he noticed the look in Joseph's eyes and his regret when he told Benjamin of his plans to live in The UK with Ian and Kevin. But Ben noticed the look in Benjamin's eyes as he listened. It was as though his life had just been extinguished. Ben wanted to know more.

Sleeping arrangements needed to be reconfigured for the remainder of their stay, which was soon resolved. Isaac and Shamira would occupy one room, Ian and Kevin another, and Benjamin and Joseph would share with the twins as there were two sets of bunk beds in their room. That left the remaining room for Eli and Jacob.

Jacob spoke with Benjamin about his plans for the future, and his concerns grew. Jacob pushed in a well-practised way, and finally, Benjamin's true story came out.

Benjamin's father lost his life during a skirmish with Hamas on the border of The Gaza Strip three years ago while serving in the Israeli Defence Force. This caused his mother, brother and himself to move into the house he currently resides in. The sale of their previous home provided a healthy bank balance for them to live off. A little over two years later, his mother, brother and his grandparents, his mother's parents, were shot by Hamas in a drive-by shooting on the outskirts of Um al-Fahm. They were discovered in his grandparent's car riddled with bullets. Ironically, his mother and brother were helping his grandparents to move to the relative safety of Haifa, away from the volatile West Bank border. For the last year, he had survived by stealth and the questionable use of his older brother's I.D.; having no other living relatives, he was on his own. Life was hard, but he managed to get by.

Benjamin's young age started to show through, as it turned out he had only just turned fourteen and needed to finish his education. Benjamin wanted to be a doctor but had given up his dreams due to his circumstances. Benjamin also told Jacob that he felt an instant connection with Joseph, which he couldn't explain except to say it felt like they were brothers. It was a conversation that did not go unnoticed by Ian and Kevin. Ian and Kevin looked into each other's eyes. They didn't need to speak as each knew what the other was thinking. They both nodded in unspoken agreement on what they needed to do next. Isaac's help would be required.

They all thanked Eli for breakfast, and Shamira told him he was absolutely correct about the Kosher turkey bacon and sausage. She insisted on knowing where she could purchase it in the future. After breakfast had been eaten and the cleaning up finished, Shamira, Jacob and Eli took the twins, Joseph and Benjamin, out for a walk on the beach with the dogs. Ben was due back at the office later that afternoon and would leave after a private meeting with Ian, Kevin and Isaac. He needed to tell them the plans before leaving but was unaware of the added complication about to be thrown into the mix. The complication would be a surprise for almost everyone.

As they stepped out for an after-breakfast walk, Jacob received a call from his boss. During the call, he confirmed their findings with what Benjamin had told him. When asked what the purpose of the call was, he answered. “I am worried for the boy. If my guess is right, he has connected with Joseph and, by extension, Ian and Kevin. As a result, it is possible that a further request may be made.”

“Jacob, if I understand you correctly, I don't know if it can be done, but I will ask. Have you thought this through? What happens if it cannot be done?” John, Jacob's boss, had picked up on the emotional tone in Jacob's voice.

“Then I will look after him myself.” Jacob's determination showed.

“Just give me a moment.” Jacob could hear John speaking to someone but could not hear what was being said. “Jacob, we have the means for either. We need to know what to put in place as soon as possible.”

“Thank you.” Jacob ended the call.

Benjamin lagged behind the others as he watched the twins playing with the pups. There was a faint smile on his face that did not show in his tear-filled eyes. He was happy the pups would have a good home but sad to part with them. He made up his mind. When they returned to the house, he would sign the transfer of registration to Isaac and Shamira and then return to his home. He did not want to outstay his welcome, but first, he had to tell Aaron and Asher the pup’s names.

Benjamin made a circle by touching his index fingertip to his thumb tip. Placing the tips in his mouth, he blew. The shrill whistle made Ariel and the pups stop in their tracks. A second blow had them running to him, stopping at his feet. They sat and looked up, waiting for any further command. Aaron and Asher closely followed the pups.

“Wow, Benjamin, how did you do that?” Started Asher.

“Can you show us how to do it?” Finished Aaron.

Benjamin smiled, amused at how one twin would always finish a sentence started by the other. “I do not know if I can, but I will try before I go home.”

He knelt to fuss the dogs and speak to the twins. “I need to tell you the pups' names. You cannot keep calling them ‘puppy’. I need to know who is who because you look so much alike. I cannot tell the difference between you.”

“He is Asher.”

“And he is Aaron. You can tell the difference because...”

“...he has got a small mole on his...”

“...right cheek.” Asher pointed to a small mole on his cheek just above the jawbone. “Can you see it?”

“I can.” Benjamin could not help but smile. “Have you decided who is having which pup?”

“Aaron wants the brown one...”

“...and Asher wants the gold one.”

“Well, Asher, your pup's name is Jedediah, but it is easier to call him Jed. Aaron, your pup's name is Zachariah, but it is easier to call him Zach. Can you both remember that?”

Both boys nodded and hugged their pups. Benjamin heard 'I love you, Jed’ and 'I love you, Zach' as they both received sloppy licks and doggy kisses. He knew they meant it.


When Benjamin stood and turned to walk away with tears flowing freely, Jacob caught him in a hug. Benjamin tried to pull out of the hug, but he gave up. Realising he was fighting a losing battle, he relaxed into it, crying on Jacob's shoulder.

“What is this I hear about you going home? Where you live is not safe for you.” Jacob's concern showed in his voice.

“It is the only place I can afford where I can keep Ariel with me. I am safe if I keep the doors locked. If I can find a job, I will be okay.” Benjamin may have convinced himself, but he did not convince Jacob.

“And what about school?”

“I will give up school and go to work, at least until I am drafted. I do not think I can avoid that.”

“If you had a choice, what would you do?” Jacob asked.

“I would stay in school and study, but I cannot do that. It is expensive to become a doctor. Maybe one day I can try again.” He felt Jacob's arms loosen and glanced at Joseph before looking up to meet Jacob's eyes. “Joseph is very lucky to have you all as family and friends. I hope he knows how lucky he is. He told me he will live with Ian and Kevin as their brother in England. I...I will miss him. In the short time I have known him, I feel...I feel close to him. I wish I could go with him.”


“I wish you could come too. I will ask Ian and Kevin,” Joseph whispered as he joined Jacob and Benjamin in the hug.

If you are enjoying this story I would appreciate it if you would leave your recommendations, this would enable it to be shared with other readers.
I hope that all readers will enjoy this story and will leave reactions and comments to let me know what they think of the story along with any other comments they wish to make.
This story would not have been possible without the invaluable help and support of @raven1 who has worked hard as the editor and beta reader and deserves a lot of the credit for the end result.
Please leave a reaction or preferably a comment to let me know what you think, I promise that all comments will be read, acknowledged and replied to.
Copyright © 2024 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 10
  • Sad 2
All reactions and comments are appreciated. I promise to read, acknowledge and respond to all comments left and encourage you to let me know your thoughts.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well that really pulled at the heartstrings and brought tears to my eyes. What a sad life Benjamin has endured, to bond with Joseph, Ian and Kevin so quickly, could possibly cause complications.

I just hope Manny's friends are as good as they seem, because it looks like two sets of documents will be needed.

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment

Benjamin has faced great difficulties and the loss essentially of his whole extended family to violence by evil people. He still can be happy and can relate very well to Joseph who seems like a lost brother to him. Jacob also has fallen for him and does not want to see him lose his life, too. Plans are underway to save him. We will see what turns out? I hope he has a better future and might be able to become a doctor.

BTW, how easily will it be to transport dogs from Israel into the UK?

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Well that really pulled at the heartstrings and brought tears to my eyes. What a sad life Benjamin has endured, to bond with Joseph, Ian and Kevin so quickly, could possibly cause complications.

I just hope Manny's friends are as good as they seem, because it looks like two sets of documents will be needed.

I can honestly say that I was emotional as this was written. Benjamin is a good boy with a good heart and he needs some good luck before his circumstances adversely change him. Can his new friends be that good luck? We will find out soon.

  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, akascrubber said:

Benjamin has faced great difficulties and the loss essentially of his whole extended family to violence by evil people. He still can be happy and can relate very well to Joseph who seems like a lost brother to him. Jacob also has fallen for him and does not want to see him lose his life, too. Plans are underway to save him. We will see what turns out? I hope he has a better future and might be able to become a doctor.

BTW, how easily will it be to transport dogs from Israel into the UK?

Benjamin had a good life until the Israeli conflict tore his family apart. Can he be happy again? Is Joseph the catalyst that changes his future prospects? Only time will tell.

It is possible to relocate a dog from Israel to the UK, but it's not easy and is time-consuming. There are regulations to follow to avoid the pitfalls.

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment

With Ian and Kevin's plans to return home with Joseph still up in the air, and now with Benjamin's arrival and bonding,

things have  become more complicated. All seems to rely on what legal paperwork can be produced to pass the muster

of authorities. Jacob also has taken interest in the plight of Benjamin and his future. His past was filled with terrible family 

tragedies. Hard to tell what the future may hold for all concerned, This is all dependent on our behind the scene helpers.

Fingers crossed for a favorable legal outcome.

  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

With Ian and Kevin's plans to return home with Joseph still up in the air, and now with Benjamin's arrival and bonding,

things have  become more complicated. All seems to rely on what legal paperwork can be produced to pass the muster

of authorities. Jacob also has taken interest in the plight of Benjamin and his future. His past was filled with terrible family 

tragedies. Hard to tell what the future may hold for all concerned, This is all dependent on our behind the scene helpers.

Fingers crossed for a favorable legal outcome.

We will have to wait to see what happens and hope this new complication doesn't scupper any plans. 🤞

  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Well that really pulled at the heartstrings and brought tears to my eyes. What a sad life Benjamin has endured, to bond with Joseph, Ian and Kevin so quickly, could possibly cause complications.

I just hope Manny's friends are as good as they seem, because it looks like two sets of documents will be needed.

I also hope Manny's friends can pull off a second miracle.  Hopefully, we will see that happen soon.

  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Flip-Flop said:

With Ian and Kevin's plans to return home with Joseph still up in the air, and now with Benjamin's arrival and bonding,

things have  become more complicated. All seems to rely on what legal paperwork can be produced to pass the muster

of authorities. Jacob also has taken interest in the plight of Benjamin and his future. His past was filled with terrible family 

tragedies. Hard to tell what the future may hold for all concerned, This is all dependent on our behind the scene helpers.

Fingers crossed for a favorable legal outcome.

The process is complicated, and Joseph's request may throw a spanner into the works. I've got my fingers crossed, too.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, akascrubber said:

Benjamin has faced great difficulties and the loss essentially of his whole extended family to violence by evil people. He still can be happy and can relate very well to Joseph who seems like a lost brother to him. Jacob also has fallen for him and does not want to see him lose his life, too. Plans are underway to save him. We will see what turns out? I hope he has a better future and might be able to become a doctor.

BTW, how easily will it be to transport dogs from Israel into the UK?

I get the feeling that Jacob thinks of both Joseph and Benjamin as younger brothers.  I know from research about transporting dogs from the USA to Thailand before I came here.  The process is long, difficult and expensive.  The worst of it is the suffering of the pet for many months.  I decided not to subject my beloved pets to that.

  • Wow 1
  • Sad 4
Link to comment

@Mancunian with the aid of @Raven1 has created another revealing chapter. One that doesn't just tug reader's heartstrings, but really pulls hard.

Benjamin reveals his heartbreaking 💔 story to Shamira: first his father killed by Hamas while serving in the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) when Benjamin was 11 😢; then 2 years later his Mother, brother and grandparents murdered by Hamas in a drive-by shooting, their bodies left in a bullet-riddled  car as they were beginning a drive to safety in a town closer to Haifa 😭; leaving 13 year old Benjamin alone, trying to survive on his own for a year, and now at 14 giving up his schooling and a dream to be a doctor someday. 😭

It seems Manny's legacy of helping others in need, is living on :heart:. In Jacob who views Benjamin and Joseph as his younger "brothers" 👨‍👦‍👦 for him to protect. In Aaron and Shamira taking Benjamin in temporarily until they can figure the next move, possibly going with Joseph to the UK to live with Ian and Henry 👨‍👨‍👦‍👦 (and Ariel his dog and protector, although she may stay behind to mother her puppies Jed and Zach).

Jacob calls his boss John to see if there is any way possible to include Benjamin in Joseph's move to the UK. 

And the answer is... 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 5
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

@Mancunian with the aid of @Raven1 have created another revealing chapter that doesn't just tug reader's heartstrings, but really pulls hard.

Benjamin reveals his heartbreaking 💔 story to Shamira: first his father killed by Hamas while serving in the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) when Benjamin was 11 😢; then 2 years later his Mother, brother and grandparents murdered by Hamas in a drive-by shooting as they were beginning a drive to safety in a town closer to Haifa 😭; leaving 13 year old Benjamin alone trying to survive on his own for a year, and now at 14 giving up his schooling and a dream to be a doctor someday. 😭

It seems Manny's legacy of helping others in need, is living on :heart:. In Jacob who views Benjamin and Joseph as his younger "brothers" 👨‍👦‍👦 for him to protect. In Aaron and Shamira taking Benjamin in temporarily until they can figure the next move, possibly going with Joseph to the UK to live with Ian and Henry 👨‍👨‍👦‍👦 (and Ariel his dog and protector, although she may stay behind to mother her puppies Jed and Zach).

Jacob calls his boss John to see if there is any way possible to include Benjamin in Joseph's move to the UK. 

And the answer is... 

Benjamin is yet another lost soul who will benefit from Manny's legacy. We don't know yet how he will benefit, but I think it is safe to say he will be looked after as there appears to be no shortage of people who may step forward to protect him and guarantee his future.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..