Jump to content
    Tallguyct
  • Author
  • 6,273 Words
  • 1,707 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Boys of the 1950s - 18. Chapter 18 Spring Summer 1958

Farm Rituals

Peter and Tom visited the farm every weekend. Twice they brought Peter’s younger brother, Ronnie. Usually the boys including Ronnie would cool off at the swimming hole. After the first visit Ronnie had no problem going bare ass with his brother and Tom. One hot afternoon as they approached the swimming hole Ronnie noticed two other people in the water. As they got closer he realized it was Rachel and Paul. Ronnie was astounded when his brother and Tom stripped naked in front of Rachel and jumped in. Ronnie was in a quandary, he didn’t want to be different but he also did not want to expose himself to a girl. He realized he would look stupid just gawking from the shore so he bit the bullet and stripped naked and quickly jumped in. He stayed away from Rachel but did enjoy rough necking with the three older boys.

Louise and Ann had also visited one weekend. They had no qualms skinny dipping with the group: Rachel, Paul, Peter and Tom. Since Uncle Will was aware of the relationship between the four he did not question Louise and Ann sleeping in the room normally used by Tom and Peter while the boys slept in the hayloft much to the entertainment of the cows.

It was obvious to Tom and Peter that Will and Jacob had bonded. They were not sure how far their relationship had gone but knew something special had happened and anything beyond that was not their business. Sean and Frank had also visited twice. Sean commented to Tom what a great guy he thought Uncle Will was.

Will had a successful as well as profitable month with his rural landscape paintings. He had worked long hours and traveled though the countryside to complete his many projects. In addition to the paintings for the bank and its branches, as well as three professional offices in Wayne and Holmes Counties he completed a few to leave with an art gallery in Cleveland. Will’s last evening at the farm he prepared a special dinner and invited Jacob and his wife, Rachel and Paul and the boys. Jacob was delighted to receive a painting of his farm fields. For Rachel and Paul Will had painted an early wedding gift – a framed painting of Rachel and Paul at the swimming hole. Knowing they could not place a painting of them in the nude in their future farm house they were depicted in the water with Rachel admiring Paul jumping in the water exposing his body from the waist up. For Sean who was not at the dinner he had a landscape that included the house, barn and fields. The recipients would have been amazed at the dollar value of these paintings. However to Will they were priceless gifts for friends that he would think of throughout his life. Will also took photos of the group enjoying their last supper together that summer.

A week after his departure Peter received a letter from his uncle thanking him for helping arrange a truly enjoyable visit. He suggested that Peter should consider coming to Georgia the following summer. He proposed that Peter come immediately after the end of the spring semester and stay with him a few weeks and then drive north to Ohio. Peter would see part of the country he had never seen and Uncle Will would have an enjoyable guest and traveling companion. Peter wrote back that he was definitely interested.

Fall Semester - 1957

The boys and girls returned to Kent State to begin the fall semester. Tom and Peter had opted to live in the Alpha fraternity house. They shared a small room with bunk beds and two small desks. On the main floor of the house there was a library with a large table that by house rules was a quiet zone for study during the week. The boys soon realized they did not have the privacy of their room in the dorm. It was common practice to hang out in each other’s rooms for long bull sessions discussing everything from school projects, to sports, to girls. While it was unlikely anyone would barge in through a closed door there was that remote possibility. They were apprehensive about sleeping in the same bed and any sexual activity was quiet and quick.

They had made a yearlong commitment to live in the house. However, they discussed the possibility of moving out with the house manager. They explained that they needed a quieter atmosphere for study. Two weeks later the manager informed them that there had been a request by two Alpha transfer students to move into the house at the beginning of the spring semester. Peter frequently talked to the grad assistant assigned to one of his lab courses and mentioned a need for a place to live. The GA told him about a retired math professor who had students stay with him in his large house at the edge of campus. They made an appointment with Professor Emeritus (retired) Weiss to discuss renting a room. The house on a quiet tree lined street was about a 15 minute walk or short drive from campus.

Professor Weiss was a dignified, handsome gentleman in his 80s. He told them there were three bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. They were welcome to choose which two rooms they desired to live in. He had his own bedroom and bathroom on the ground level. Since he seldom went upstairs they were responsible for cleaning. He would prefer that there be no drinking in the house and that they not have loud guests. They were welcome to use the kitchen and washing machine. He told the boys to go upstairs and see if they thought the rooms and facilities were adequate. They discovered three bedrooms each with a bed, dresser and desk. One room had a double bed and the others single beds. The bathroom had a large claw foot tub and shower over the tub with a shower curtain circling the tub. They decided to take the double bed room and the larger of the others. They notified Professor of their choice. The rent was lower than either the dorm or fraternity house. The one requirement was that they were expected to shovel the snow on the walks and driveway.

Returning to campus in January 1958 the boys began the spring semester of their sophomore year in their new residence. They soon realized that the room with the double bed was directly over the bedroom of the professor. Their first night they celebrated their new freedom in the single bed room over the kitchen. The following day Tom asked the professor if it would be OK to switch the double bed to the other room. He used some lame excuse about morning light. The professor didn’t care so the second night they christened the double bed moved to the room over the kitchen.

Peter and the professor became good friends. With Peter’s strong background in math he enjoyed the professor’s tales. One afternoon Louise came over to work on a class project with Peter. The professor was interested in their project and following a long discussion the three bonded academically. During the remaining years at Kent State he was a friend as well as a mentor. Louise frequently studied at the house and with the professor’s permission stayed over when they had a long study session. Professor Weiss had no problem with her stayovers, in fact he seemed to encourage it. Louise and Peter assumed that the professor assumed they were fucking. While they were not it was nice to have that reputation. On occasion Ann came over to study. Later, in their senior year both girls moved in. Professor Weiss did not know who was sleeping where and actually didn’t care as long as he had the company of these charming studious young people.

As their sophomore year ended they all made plans for the summer. Louise and Ann had waitress jobs at Chick’s Steakhouse at Put-In-Bay on South Bass Island in western Lake Erie. Neither wanted to live under the watchful eyes of their parents. Tom with the help of Keith was hired to work in the mail room of Olentangy Insurance Company in Columbus. A friend of Keith’s would be away for the summer and Tom would live in his apartment which just happened to be in the same building as Keith’s penthouse apartment. That was Tom’s official address while he actually lived with Keith. Peter was planning to take the train to Georgia to stay with Uncle Will and then travel with him back to Ohio. Uncle Will realizing Tom was giving up a paying summer job to visit him promised Tom enough employment to earn what he would normally earn as a school custodian’s assistant.

The weekend before the girls left for their summer jobs, Tom to Columbus and Peter to Georgia the four attended the wedding of Rachel and Paul in Seville. The country church was the plainest, least adorned church any of them had ever attended. It was crowded with family and friends of the couple. The four from Pleasant Valley were the only folks in attendance not from farming communities. Rachel wore the wedding dress her mother and grandmother had worn. It was plain white floor length with a high neckline. Paul looked uncomfortable in his new black suit ordered from the Sears catalog. The reception was held in the Church Hall, a large room attached to sanctuary where church suppers and prayer meetings were held. Nonalcoholic punch, sandwiches, salads, desserts and of course wedding cake were served. The newly married couple, fully sober, appeared drunk with happiness. Paul privately told Tom and Peter that Rachel was sure she was one month pregnant. They had stopped using rubbers two months earlier. They had told no one but were sure all their parents would be thrilled with the premature birth.

Daisyville, Land of Opportunity

One week after the wedding and end of the Spring 1958 semester Peter was on the train to Georgia. With train changes and layovers in Pittsburgh and Atlanta he arrived at the Macon, Georgia station late in the afternoon 27 hours after departing Cleveland. Luckily Peter slept most of the night while sitting in a reclining coach seat. Uncle Will met him at the station. During the three hour drive to Daisyville, Georgia they passed miles of flat barren land and scraggy forests. Peter could not imagine why anyone would want to live in this part of the country. Daisyville, was the first place Peter found attractive since leaving Macon. A square in the center of town contained the Flower County Court House. The two main streets of the town: Main Street (north / south) and Old Belle Avenue (east / west) met at Court House Square. All traffic traveling through town drove on the one way road around the square. The stores and professional offices in the town center served the surrounding area. Uncle Will’s house was on a quiet street a few blocks from the town center. Daisy College, where Uncle Will was known as Professor Lang was a five minute drive or 20 minute walk further from the town center.

Uncle Will had asked Peter how much he had made the previous summers as a school custodian’s helper and told him he would gladly match the $600 if Peter would visit, assist him for a few weeks in Georgia and be a traveling companion when Will returned to Ohio to continue his painting. Uncle Will did not need Peter to do house hold chores as he had employed a Negro lady, Mrs. Forest, for many years to do some cooking, cleaning and laundry. Through the years she had arranged for one of her sons, nephews or other teenage boys to take care of the yard. While Will was an excellent cook he relied on Mrs. Forest to do most of the shopping and preparing an occasional meal. For the guest’s first evening she had left a meal of fried chicken, potato salad, southern style green beans, homemade rolls and a red velvet cake. Although Peter had eaten continuously during the train trip in the dining car, snack car and station restaurants in Pittsburg and Atlanta being a growing boy he always appreciated more food. Mrs. Forest’s Southern feast was a sign of the beginning of a brilliant visit. He couldn’t decide which he enjoyed more, the quality of the food or the quantity.

After dinner Uncle Will discussed the project he most needed help with. He reminded Peter that he had taken photos of him, Tom, Paul and Rachel that could not be sent to a photo processing service. He had taken similar photos for friends and clients. He wanted to teach Peter to develop film, print pictures and most important and complicated crop and make enlargements. This work was time consuming and took away from his time for painting. He told Peter that after their conversations last summer he was sure Peter would not think this work was disgusting and immoral. Also he believed Peter would find it very interesting and educational. He then told Peter about another project he could do, but only if he was willing. He told Peter that what he was proposing was not something Peter should do unless he was entirely comfortable with it. He told Peter that after he explained the proposal there would be no problem if Peter refused.

Will explained that he taught private art classes not associated with the college. From five to fifteen people took these classes which were usually taught in the town community center. A few students had expressed an interest in doing nude portraits. This group consisted of about six men and women aged from 20s to 60s. One had offered the use of his triple garage at his home in the country about five miles from town. Will had seen the garage and with some additional lighting it would make a passable private studio. Obviously his students would desire an attractive model. He could not use college students from Daisy College. Even if the students were willing to and keen on modeling he would most likely lose his position and be run out of town if he exposed a good Baptist, even if it was a willing horny Baptist, to such an activity. “Think about the modeling. I do not need an immediate answer. You are probably ready for a good night’s sleep in a real bed. Tomorrow morning we’ll start on the photography work. We’ll discuss the modeling later if you are interested. Remember, only consider it if you are comfortable with it. If you don’t want to, NO PROBLEM.”

As tired as Peter was as soon as he got his naked body in bed all he could think about was modeling in the nude. These thoughts led to a very hard dick. Conveniently there was a box of Kleenex on the night stand. As he stroked he contemplated himself naked in front of a group of men and women. Since it had been a long time since he had had two whole days without playtime with Tom or a solo jerkoff he had a massive load bombarding from his stomach to his nose. After he cleaned up, calmed down and as he drifted off to sleep he wondered if he could keep from getting a hardon naked in front of a group. The next day Peter told Uncle Will he thought it would be fun to model in the nude.

His first morning in Daisyville he met Mrs. Forest, an attractive Negro about 60 years old. She offered him a breakfast of fresh from the oven hot biscuits and gravy, ham, eggs, toast hot or cold cereal, juice and/or coffee. Peter had never heard of ‘biscuits and gravy’. He opted for that as well as ham, eggs, juice and coffee. After breakfast Uncle Will took him to the photo work room. The room had been a ground floor utility room. It had already contained a sink and all other necessary photo processing equipment had been installed. Uncle Will told Peter that most of the films he developed were taken by other people. As Peter would soon learn many of these photos could not have been taken to a local film developer because of the nature and actions of the subjects. Will explained that while the film developing was relative easy making prints and especially enlargements required a certain amount of experience and expertise. Also the cropping (removing part of the edge of a photo to center it or emphasize certain aspects) of photos required both experience and an artistic eye.

For about an hour Peter and Will developed film together. Peter was a fast learner and by mid morning he had mastered this first phase of producing pictures. Many of the photos included naked people. Some, both men and women, were just standing and starring at the camera, usually with a big smile. Some of the men were hard. Others were soft. There were young subjects and some really small dicked. Others were in more erotic poses. None of the nude subjects were younger than 18. Uncle Will refused to be involved with erotic photos of children. He had been asked to develop such film and refused to be involved with any photos of subjects less than eighteen years of age. Most of the erotic ones were either of a man fucking a woman or a woman giving a man a blow job. They appeared to be all ages from 20s to 60s. Some were very attractive. Most were just ordinary people that would look much better fully clothed. Will explained that when he took photos he considered each one a piece of art. None of these were his. They had all been taken by amateurs either doing self photos with a timing button or by a friend of the poser.

Peter asked Will if such photos were legal. Will replied that that was a grey area. Having nude photos of yourself was probably OK. However, the developing and printing might not be. The sale of one would probably be illegal and postal regulations prohibited mailing such work. Peter said, “I don’t really care what people do as long as they are not hurting someone else. Unfortunately none of these photos make me horny. Maybe someday you’ll get some of handsome men with nice dicks. But, if this might be illegal aren’t you worried about problems with the police? You could be arrested. Wouldn’t this jeopardize your job at the college? If the house were raided would I go to jail?”

Uncle Will laughed and said: “Don’t worry, I have insurance against any problems. What you are about to see is one of my dark secrets.” Uncle Will then went into a closet and removed a panel on the side. Behind there was a two drawer file cabinet. It appeared to be stronger than normal file cabinets. Peter later learned that it was heat and fire proof. Will took out a folder of enlarged photos. The first series included an unattractive man about 50 with a beer belly and small dick. In one photo he was on his knees being fucked by a handsome Negro man in his 20s. The Negro’s face, chest, abs, ass and entire body was gorgeous. His well endowed dick seen in another photo matched his perfect body. The last photo the older man was on his knees sucking the perfect black cock.

The next series of photos was of a handsome man about 50 with a lovely young lady with long blond hair. The photos include the two kissing, he eating her pussy in a close up, and fucking missionary and doggie style.

The third series of photos was of a middle aged couple. They were very average looking. Her tits sagged and his semi hard cock was uncut and well above average in length and girth. He was bald with a comb over (let the hair grow long on the side and then comb it over the bald spot). She had a beehive hairdo.

Uncle Will then explained, “I took all of these photos. Considering how unattractive and homely some of these people are, I think I did an impressive job from an artistic viewpoint. The older man with the attractive Negro man is the county sheriff. When he first came to me he had a boy about 16 years old. I told him I would not do any erotic photos of anyone under 18. The distinguished man with the blonde is a state legislator. He has been in office about 20 years and is one of the most respected politicians in the state. The ordinary couple is the minister and his wife of the church I attend. She is the state chairwomen of ‘Women for Christ’. All these people trusted me to take these photos. I know their secrets. They know I am totally trustworthy. I have these photos hidden in this fire and heat proof cabinet. Also, my friend, JB, in Athens, George has a complete set in a safe deposit box. I am protected from the police, politicians / law and church. So my handsome nephew, do not worry. If you find this work morally objectionable I will not ask you to do any more.”

“You Uncle Will are amazing. I have no moral objections to this work. Actually most of it is kind of boring, but I know someday there will be photos that will make me take a break to give ‘little peter’ some exercise.”

“I have a backlog of photos to develop as I hoped you would be willing to help. You should take a break at least every hour. I am not sure if the chemicals used are dangerous. From what I have read they are safe. But over exposure might not be healthy. Go outside for about 15 minutes every hour. We have been working over an hour now so you really need a fresh air break. Go outside and take a walk or read of do whatever. There is an old bicycle in the storage shed. You could check it out and see if it is fixable. Of course you are welcome to use the car anytime. You don’t need to lock this room. Mrs. Forest knows not to disturb anything in this room. I don’t think she knows the subject of most the photography work I do here. As gifts I have taken photos of all of her family and some friends. They were the type of photo you proudly display in the living room, not the type you hide in a box in the closet. I have also taken photos for events at her church. On days she is here, usually Monday, Wednesday and most Fridays she will make lunch for you. She would be offended if you did not eat a hearty meal that she prepared. I’m going to my studio upstairs to work on paintings. If you have any questions come on up. If not I will probably not see you until dinner time. Don’t work more than a couple more hours. Be sure to take breaks and if you want take a walk to the center of town and check out the shops and handsome men of Daisyville, if you can find any.”

Peter walked thru the kitchen and greeted Mrs. Forest with a smile. He asked if it was OK if he took a coke from the refrigerator. She told him it was his for the taking. She suggested he might want to try a Dr. Pepper if he had never had one. She then asked if a ham sandwich and potato salad would be OK for lunch and what time did he want to eat. Peter replied “Excellent choice” and anytime around noon would be good.

Peter went to the backyard and decided to check out the bicycle in the shed. As he entered the shed someone behind him said, “May I help you?” Peter turned around and standing close behind him was a tall handsome Negro man about his age. They stood and stared into each other’s eyes for what seem to Peter a longer time than necessary, but it felt good.

Peter said, “Hi, I’m Peter Smith, Will’s nephew, actually grandnephew. Uncle Will is my grandfather’s brother. I’m here for about a month helping Uncle Will on some projects.” Peter put his hand out to shake the young man’s hand. The young man hesitated and said that his hands were dirty from yard work and they best not shake.

With his deep brown eyes penetrating Peter he said, “Good day, I am Henry Bailey, Auntie Belle’s, I mean Mrs. Forest’s nephew. I do yard work for your uncle.”

Peter said Henry Uncle Will had told him there was an old bicycle in the shed he might be able to use. Both boys went into the shed and found the bike. Except for flat tires it appeared to be in working order. Peter said he would walk to the town center and find a hardware store to buy a tire patch kit. He told Henry that he was developing film for Uncle Will and that he was working with chemicals that gave off fumes and needed to take a break for fresh air every hour or so. “I’m going to go back to work for an hour and then have lunch. Will you have lunch with me? After lunch I will work another hour and then walk to town. After that I will work another hour and then repair the tires.”

Henry gave Peter a funny look when he suggested they have lunch together. “Having lunch would be fine. If you want I can help you fix the tire later.” They both reached for the bike to put it back and their hands touched. Their hands stayed together longer than necessary, but it felt good.

As Peter walked out of the shed with a warm feeling he said, “See you at lunch.” As he walked through the kitchen he told Mrs. Forest he had met Henry and invited him to lunch if it was OK. She replied in a less than friendly voice “If you say so.”

Peter could not get the image of the handsome young man out of his head as he worked the next hour. While he probably would have worked more than an hour he kept his eye on the clock to make sure he would be at a stopping point in exactly one hour.

He entered the kitchen and greeted Mrs. Forest who was polite but reserved. He asked how soon lunch would be ready and she replied it would be on the table in about ten minutes. Peter told him he would go out and tell Henry.

Henry was in the back of the yard clearing some overgrown brush. Peter offered to help him pile it on a heap to burn later. It was then that Peter got a shock. Henry looked at him and said, “Peter you seem to be a really nice guy but this is the south. You are white and I am a Negro. In the south we normally do not work together or socialize together. It appears you do not understand our culture. It could be dangerous for me to get too friendly with a white man. It could be dangerous for your Uncle. I’ve known houses of white people to get damaged because they got too friendly with “niggers”. What could happen to a “nigger” is unthinkable. If you were a white girl and I flirted with you I could be lynched meaning murdered. I am sorry but that is the way it is around here. I can fix your tire but we cannot go on a bike ride together. If we go to the movie in town you sit downstairs, I sit in the balcony with the broken seats. If we go to a restaurant you sit inside at a table with a tablecloth, I order my food at the side door and eat it at a beat-up table near the garbage can. If we go to a gas station you drink from the “white” drinking fountain, I drink from the “colored” drinking fountain. You use the “white only” bathroom that is clean because some “nigger” cleaned it. I use the “colored” bathroom that is probably filthy with no supplies. That is the way it is down here. For mine, yours, Uncle Will’s and Aunt Belle’s safety we cannot appear to be too friendly.”

Peter was shocked. He had heard about segregation but did not realize how it affected people. He now understood Mrs. Forest’s attitude when he had told her he invited Henry to have lunch. Peter replied, “You said ‘appear to be too friendly’, please come into the kitchen and sit at the table with me away from the eyes of neighbors. So far you are the only person in Daisyville near my age I have met. From what you have said I don’t know if I want to be close friends with any of the white young men. See you in a few minutes, OK?”

Peter was apprehensive when he walked into the house. He told Mrs. Forest he would be back in a few minutes after asking Uncle Will a question and that Henry would be coming in soon. Peter went up to the studio. “Uncle Will, I hate to interrupt you but I need some quick counseling. Could we have a brief chat?” Uncle Will replied sure as he put his paint brush down.

“I took a break this morning and went to the shed to check out the bicycle. I met Henry the yard boy. He helped me inspect the bike. I think it will be rideable after I repair the flat tires. After out short conversation I found Henry to be a well spoken young man. I don’t know his background but I would like to know him better.”

At this point Uncle Will interrupted Peter. “You are correct to assume he is educated. Henry is a student, I believe starting his senior year this fall at Albany State College about an hour from here. It’s what we call a Negro college. He can tell you more about his studies.”

Peter continued, “When I told Mrs. Forest I had invited Henry for lunch her attitude got very dark. I went out to tell Henry lunch would soon be ready and offered to help him pile some of the brush he had cut. At this point Henry gave me a lecture about segregation: restaurants, movie theaters, gas station bathrooms and drinking fountains. He told me that if we appeared to be friends it could create a danger for me, you, Mrs. Forest and especially Henry. Is he correct? Can he be my friend? I would like a friends my age while visiting. If what he says is true I don’t know how I could have any friends, white or Negro.”

“Unfortunately what he said about segregation and possible danger is true. If we were not in the south I would have no problem with you having Henry as a friend. Of course in the north many people are not tolerant so even there you would have to be careful. Down here you must always be vigilant. He said ‘you should not appear to be friends’. That is what you must do. Be friends in private. But in public do not appear to be friends. Many people in Daisyville and the south are accepting of white – Negro friendships. I am certainly one of them. I am not happy that when I go to church I only pray and communicate with Jesus with white folks while the Negro’s have their separate church. That in my opinion is not what Jesus would have done! Normally I skip lunch. Today I will have lunch with you and Henry. I’m glad you came up to discuss this. For me this segregation stupidity is so common that I had forgotten how you would and should react. Go on down and tell Mrs. Forest I will be having lunch with you and Henry.”

When Peter told Mrs. Forest Uncle Will was coming down to have lunch with himself and Henry she got a ‘there’s going to be trouble look on her face’.

Henry came in nervous, Will came down from his studio, “Glad you boys met, Henry tell us about your studies at Albany – Peter is a student at Kent State in Ohio.”

Henry then explained that he was an English and Education major. He planned to teach high school English. He realized the pay would be very low in a Negro public school. He enjoyed reading. This fall he would be a ‘student teacher’ at a high school in Albany. Luckily his grandmother on his father’s side lived in Albany, Georgia so he had a place to stay. He sang in the college choir and was president of the Literary Society. He did not care for sports.

Peter then told about his studies at Kent State. He also mentioned that he had no interest in sports. He told them a friend had a farm he visited frequently and with a chuckle stated he was an expert cow milker. Peter purposely did not mention his relationship with Tom or Louise.

“Very interesting.” Will stated. “I am sure you boys will have a lot to discuss. I have a plan. For years I have wanted to clean and organize the basement. Henry, I want you to clean the basement. It could take weeks. You can enter through the hatchway. If you two want to have discussions it can take place out of the watchful eyes of Mrs. Crankfit next door. Neither she nor her unemployed, lazy 30 year old son miss anything in this neighborhood. I don’t trust her. Her husband is an outspoken segregationist. When there was talk of encouraging Negros to vote he led the opposition with a parade of pick-up trucks with Confederate flags flying driving back and forth past the meeting hall where voting discussions were taking place. The warning was taken and no additional Negros attempted to register to vote. I’m sure she is wondering who this white boy visiting is and why he was talking to my yard man. This evening Peter and I are going to call on the Crankfits. I will introduce him and tell them during his visit he will supervise the yard work. Also, I’ll tell them my yard boy will be cleaning the basement and that it could take weeks. That way she will not be suspicious of Henry frequently going into the basement. What silly games we play. I am sure Mrs. Crankfit has already called all the neighbors about the ‘strange goings on’ at my home. Without an explanation she will create all sorts of malicious gossip. Remember the saying, ‘Be close to your friends and closer to your enemies’. Crankfits are certainly the enemy of all good, caring people of the south. Peter and Henry, would you please remove all the old rusty screen windows from the basement windows. I am afraid to open the windows as bugs and God knows what else could come in through the broken screens. Take them to the hardware store and have them repaired or replaced if too far gone. Take my car. Your can do this during your first break this afternoon when you were going to get the tire repair kit. Also, I would like dark curtains put on the basement windows. After you clean the basement windows I don’t want anyone like the Crankfits looking in on what might be happening. Sometime you can go to the general store and purchase curtain rods and material for the curtains. If Mrs. Forster does not have the time to make the curtains I am sure she will hire someone to do it. She knows I will pay her or anyone she hires.” He looked at Mrs. Forster and she smiled back at him.

“And one more item. Henry, I told Peter to take frequent breaks when he is developing film to get some fresh air away from the developing chemical fumes. If he wants to hang out with you during the breaks please agree. I will gladly pay you when you are here, even when you are assisting Peter in anyway.”

“Mr. Lang, you are already paying me $1.00 an hour, at least double what any other colored boy earns. I appreciate it. If you want me to assist Peter I would do it without pay. But I know you well enough that you want to help me. If you pay me, that is wonderful. Thank you so much!”

After lunch Will took the boys to the basement and told them what he wanted done. He told them to set up a living area in the corner that the boys could use as a meeting and relaxing place. He told them to buy paint for the walls and floor. There was an old carpet in Peter’s bedroom they could use for their sitting area. He would buy a new carpet for the upstairs room. He announced that he may not come down there again. This was their room and they would have total privacy.

Copyright © 2017 Tallguyct; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great chapter, Tall!
The section in Daisyville must be interesting to younger readers who never encountered segregation...but you handled it very well.
My mother's family was from the hills of eastern Kentucky, and we'd visit them during summers--my first encounter with an outhouse!--and while that was different from my Ohio home town, it wasn't as bad as when we would visit my oldest sister who lived on the Georgia/Alabama border (Lake Eufaula). She had gone to Marine Camp at Parris Island and married a southern guy and stayed down there ever since. I was around 10 when we went to her graduation, and I noticed the difference in the way people acted; segregation was officially over in '68, but it was still evident in how a lot of people acted.
Nicely done, and I'm eager for more!

Link to comment

I was born in Memphis Tenn in the late 40's and grew up with segregation in the 50's and 60's. What is being said is very true. I had gone to school in Sacramento Ca in the 7th & 8th grade with Blacks, Asian, Hispanics and pretty much all races then came back to Memphis to a segregated high school. Had to pass the Black's school to get to mine. Given the change the right wingers would have the LGBTQ community being treated the same way today. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Living here in Australia, l have never experienced prejudice or segregation. I have over my life time worked with Australian Aborigines there was no issue.

Today however there is a rising tide of resentment against Muslims and people from Africa who have come to settle here

 I am interested in the history of African American and have read many articles about their plight.

 

Reading thissends a chill down my spine! One of fear for my countries future if we do not accept all people and or religion 

 

l like the way you have given these two young people a way to get to know each other as individuals with no hidden agenda.

A terrific chapter, thanks.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..