Jump to content
    Tallguyct
  • Author
  • 4,899 Words
  • 1,296 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Boys of the 1950s - 32. Mary Disappears / The Bully Returns

Tim returned home and immediately gave the letter to Ralph. While the boys played outside with the hula hoop the men discussed the implications. “I really and I mean really enjoy having the boys. If two days ago someone told me I would be a father let alone a father in a couple of days I would have laughed at the idea. But, this is no laughing matter. These boys need a loving home. I believe we can do it. I know we can do it. But, what is our next step. Can Mary just give the boys away. There must be some laws to protect them. The boys need us and we need to do what is legal to keep them”. Ralph told Tim.

Tim replied, “I agree. How do we do it? I have a thought. Principal Morton seemed sympathetic to the boys and seemed interested in our lives. Being a school administrator he should know what the law is or hopefully he can tell us who can help us and the boys. He made it very clear that he wanted to visit us. He seemed very interested in our life style. He certainly didn’t seem to have any objections to two men living together. I wonder what his view on life is? Do you think we should call him?”

“I am sure he is on our side. Remember he said ‘… it is a relief to know that the boys are with you. At least they will have a couple of days of a normal life.’ I think you should call him right now Tim. Invite him over. If he cannot come maybe one of us could visit him. We have to do something soon. Who knows what that crazy ma of Mary might do if she discovers her grandchildren are living here. Most likely she will be relieved to be rid of them. But a person like that can do strange things. Call Morton now, OK?”

Tim called Principal Morton and told him he needed to discuss a situation concerning the boys as soon as possible. He suggested he come for supper so he could be with the boys informally and then discuss the situation. “Please call me ‘Gene’ ” he replied unless there are school children within earshot. “Give me directions to your home and I’ll be over within an hour.”

As soon as Principal Morton, ‘Gene’ arrived Tim invited him into the kitchen and offered him a Coke, coffee or beer. Gene gladly accepted a beer. Tim then handed him the letter. While Gene read the letter Ralph took the boys outside. Eddied asked him why the Principal was there. He wanted to know what bad thing they had done at school. Ralph assured the boys that Principal Morton was there as a friend and that Tim had some matters to discuss with him.

When Gene had finished reading the letter he said, “This is one fucked up situation – oops, hope the boys were not within hearing distance.”

“We’ve only had the boys two days and received this letter this afternoon. Ralph and I have not had time to discuss it at length but we both agreed with no hesitation that we want to give the boys the home they deserve. But, how do two men living together legally become fathers to abandoned children. You are the first person we called. No one knows about this letter except the three of us and Loretta Highlander. Mary had given the letter to Loretta earlier last week and told her to give it to Tim on Sunday. She had no idea what was in the letter until Tim asked her to read it.”

“Probably for the first time in my life I am going to say that I agree with Mary”, Gene stated. “She is correct, in my opinion, that you two would be great dads. But you must be careful and follow the law. I’m going to think about your situation while we have quality time with the boys and eat supper. After they go to bed we can have a serious discussion. I am definitely on your side which is also the side of the boys.”

For the next couple of hours the three men and two boys played ball, other games in the yard and then Principal Morton read to the boys while Tim and Ralph prepared supper. After supper Ralph took the boys upstairs and had them take baths. They got into their pajamas and went downstairs to say good night. Principal Morton asked if he could help tuck them in. The three men took the boys upstairs, tucked them in and said goodnight. Gene then asked for a tour of the rest of the upstairs. He saw the room with the double bed and can of Crisco on the night stand where Tim and Ralph slept. Tim explained that Ralph’s room was the back bedroom where the boys were sleeping and that Ralph was temporarily sleeping in his room. “We thought it was just going to be two nights so were willing to crowd into one bed for a couple of nights.”

“I don’t care where you sleep. If you want to sleep in the same bed that’s your private life. But, having said that, I’s not sure how the State of Pennsylvania would view the situation. Is there someplace else where Ralph could sleep? I’m not being judgmental here. The County Social Worker will be the person most influential in the decision process for the State to give you custody. Even temporary custody. The Social Worker will want to know everything about your living arrangements.”

Tim replied, “There is a tiny room off the hall. It is no bigger than a closet but does have a window. Right now it is used for storage, basically full of junk.”

They looked at the room. Gene suggested they measure to see if it would be large enough for a bed and small dresser. Ralph went downstairs and got a yard stick. They measured the room and then quietly went into the boys’ room and measured their bed as they slept. It was determined the room could hold a bed, dresser and small night stand. Gene suggested they immediately clean out the room and install the furniture. Gene told them he had a friend in Jonesville who sold used furniture. Tim thanked him but stated they would take his bed from his parent’s home as well as enough pieces of furniture to make the room livable.

Gene suggested that they get a second bed for the boys’ room. While this was not an immediate need since the boys arrived with such short notice the Social Worker would feel better about the living situation if each boy had his own bed. Tim stated that if they couldn’t get another extra bed from one of their parents they would visit Gene’s friend in Jonesville.

Gene then suggested they notify the sheriff and county social worker. He continued that both the sheriff and social worker were aware of some of the problems at the home of the boys. He had over the years discussed Mary’s living situation with both of them. It was bad but not so bad that the boys could be taken away. He was positive the social worker would gladly approve of the boys moving. He hoped she would be agreeable to Tim and Ralph taking them. He suggested that Tim or Ralph call the sheriff in the morning. There was the possibility, although highly unlikely, that the grandmother would report the boys missing. She would probably assume that Mary, the boys’ mother, just took off with them. She had no responsibility to report their departure. Between the letter and the fact that the sheriff was called soon after Ralph and Tim realized the mother was not returning they could not be accused of kidnapping. Gene offered to call the social worker first thing in the morning. He told them they had a good relationship and would tell her that he was calling at the request of Tim and Ralph. He assumed she would visit them almost immediately. Therefor it was important that the bedroom for Tim be made ready in the morning.

When Gene left that evening he gave both Tim and Ralph quality hugs that may have lasted longer than appropriate. This surprised them and caused them to wonder again about his lifestyle.

As soon as Gene left they went to Ralph’s new bedroom and sorted through the stuff Tim’s grandmother had store there. There were boxes with books, clothes, Christmas decorations, old linens, curtains and quilts and a couple pieces of broken furniture. There was also a small table and lamp, both of which would be appropriate for the new bedroom. They decided not to sort the stuff but just move it to the small attic accessible by an opening in the hall ceiling. Ralph went up into the empty attic and Ralph passed the boxes and other items up. The entire process took less than an hour but both boys were sweaty and dusty from the workout. Ralph’s hair was full of spider webs from the attic. They each took quick showers separately remembering the problem earlier when they took a long loving shower while Charlie had the accident in his PJ while waiting to get into the bathroom.

The combination of the physical work and emotional drain upon learning about Mary’s disappearance left the boys exhausted. They crawled into bed wearing underwear and T shirts and snuggled against each other. Both were soon asleep. In the middle of the night Tim woke up. He was spooned against his lover’s back with his cock against Ralph’s ass. Ralph moved in his sleep and pressed against Tim. Tim pressed forward. Ralph pressed back. Not knowing and not caring if his man was awake Tim reached for the can of Crisco on the nightstand, pulled down Ralph’s briefs, and lubed his dick and Ralph’s ass. Ralph was awake and willing. He pressed back as Tim found the willing hole. He gently slid in. “That feels so good my man. Fuck me” Ralph whispered. Ralph was on his side facing the door as his man quietly fucked him under the covers.

Suddenly Ralph jerked forward freeing Tim’s dick. “Hey, what’s up my friend.” Tim looked over Ralph’s shoulder and saw Eddie standing in the open doorway.

“I couldn’t sleep. Bad things were going through my head. I’m scared.”

As each man adjusted his briefs they told Eddie to hop into the bed between them and tell them his troubles.

Eddie crawled under the covers between them. He was shaking and almost crying. “I remembered my grandma screaming one night. I went to her room to help her and opened the door. She was on the bed and this big man was laying on top of her. He did not have any clothes. He was jumping up and down on grandma saying something like ‘take this you itch.’ Grandma was screaming back using words I did not understand. Then that man saw me. He jumped up and yelled something at me that I did not understand. When he stood I saw his pee pee. It was real big. Then he told me he would beat something out of me if I did not go away. Grandma looked at me and said ‘Eddie, go back to bed, we are just playing a big people game. Sorry we woke you up.’ The man came at me and kicked me in the rear end as I ran. He slammed the door. He really hurt me. Later I heard the big man yelling ‘Jesus I’m coming’. I thought that was what happened when a person died. I thought he had died and I was happy. The next morning the man was sitting in the kitchen eating breakfast and grandma was being real nice to him. He just looked at me but did not say anything. Grandma kissed him on the top of his head and he grabbed my grandma’s hinnie. She told him to behave in front of the children.”

“Why did he call my grandma an ‘itch’ when he was jumping on her?” Why did he have a big pee pee? Why did he yell at me just because I saw him naked? Why was he having breakfast if he told Jesus that he was coming? Where does someone go when they come to Jesus?”

Tim asked Eddie if he ever saw wrestling on TV. Eddie replied that he had. Tim then explained that sometimes grown up people wrestle just for fun. He and grandma were playing a game. He also told him, “Sometimes when a grown up man is naked he gets a big pee pee. Someday it will happen to you. That means you are a man, no longer a little boy. When it happens to you we will discuss it if you want to. Right now don’t worry about what happens in the night. We never bring strange men or women into the house at night. You are safe here. If you ever get scared just come to our room. Now I am going to take you back to bed. Think about all the fun you had today as you go to sleep. Remember, this is a safe house. We don’t yell. We don’t hit.” Tim got out of bed and picked up Eddie. He carried him to his bed and laid him next to his brother. “Now you have a good sleep. We will see you in the morning.”

The next morning, Monday, after dropping the boys off at school they met with Gene, Principal Morton briefly. Tim told him about Eddie’s scary night and remembering walking in on his grandma getting fuck by some strange guy. Tim and Ralph then visited the sheriff’s office together. Sheriff Logan was not in so they made an appointment to meet with him at 11:00. They then went to Tim’s parents’ home and after briefly explaining the new developments went to Tim’s bedroom and disassembled his bed. Since he had a big dresser in his room they borrowed a small dress from the guest room. They also took some of the sports posters off the wall to put up in Eddie and Charlie’s room.

They returned home and quickly set up Ralph’s small bedroom. The room needed a thorough cleaning. They didn’t think at this point it mattered. It was unlikely the social worker would inspect the bedroom, just note Ralph and Tim had separate rooms.

The meeting with Sheriff Logan went better than expected. The sheriff seemed relieved that Eddie and Charlie were out of that house. He had nothing nice to say about either Mary or her mother. He implied that as far as he knew both of them were entertaining men to support themselves. “Mary’s part-time job at the Pick-N-Save and her mother’s waitressing at Smilies on weekends would not pay enough to support the four of them. Even with help from the county they would be on very thin ground. I know for a fact, actually 99% sure, that one or both of them are entertaining men on a regular basis. I have seen the cars of at least three prominent citizens of Breslau parked at their house. You would be surprised who some of these men are. When you sing in the choir on Sunday morning you are looking out at some of their loyal supporters. From the stories you have told me I assume those little boys have seen more than one guy grinding on grandma with a hard dick.”

“Thank God Mary gave the boys to you and didn’t just run off. Now the problem is, how do we keep the boys in your home. I have no problem with the two of you living together and raising those boys. But, it isn’t my decision. The county social worker will make a decision on their short-term living arrangements and will make a recommendation to a judge for any long-term or permanent arrangement. Luckily I have a good relationship with Donna Fitzgerald, the county social worker. She is a reasonable and very intuitive person. You said that Principal Morton is calling her on your behalf. It’s a good idea that she is notified immediately. Usually she gets involved after the fact and has to straighten out messes in peoples’ lives that got more complicated with the passage of time. I assume she has a good working relationship with Principle Morton. It would appear you have me, the sheriff, the social worker and Principal Morton all solidly on your side. From a legal viewpoint I will note that you have reported the situation to me and the social worker. The next step is that of the social worker. I would suggest that you contact Principal Morton and determine if he has contacted Donna and what her reaction was. Then I suggest you call her and give her your contact information and state that you are willing to meet with her anytime either in her office or at your home. Just giving her that information will assure her that you are easy to work with.

While Tim went to his job at Snodgrass Plumbing Ralph contacted Principal Morton. Having determined that the social worker had been contacted he went to work and called Donna Fitzgerald, the social worker. She seemed happy that he had called with his contact information. She told him that she had a crisis with two families and an elderly person that was found near starvation from weakness in his home. These needed her immediate attention. She asked him if he was willing to take care of the boys until she had time to visit them at home. He replied that not only was he willing to care for the boys the next few days but forever. She was quiet for a moment then said “Gene Morton told me you and your friend were good men and that you were totally able to care for the boys. I trust Gene’s instincts. It might not be for a few days until I get back to you. Call me if you have any problems or questions. I will call and visit you later.”

That evening Tim Eddie and Charlie drove to Jonesville in a company pickup truck. Ralph and Gene Morton followed in Gene’s car. At the antique / used furniture business of Gene’s friend, Albert, they found a bed and another dresser for the boys’ room. Now each boy would have his own bed and dresser. Albert suggested they buy a new mattress and box spring. He offered to purchase them at wholesale cost at a nearby furniture stores. He told Tim to call him in the morning to arrange pickup of the mattress and box spring. When Tim asked about payment arrangements both Principal Morton and Albert said, “This is our gift to the little boys”.

Later that evening Tim and Ralph discussed the relationship of Albert and the Principal. They seemed more than just friends. They noted that they had said “This is our gift to the little boys” as if they were in a relationship to be an ‘ours’.

The social worker made an appointment to visit Friday afternoon right after school so she could see the boys in their new home. Tim and Ralph had cleaned the house thoroughly. The boy’s bedroom was attractive with the two beds and dressers and sports posters on the wall. Ralph’s little bedroom appeared very livable. Tim’s larger bedroom was neat and the can of Crisco was back in the kitchen for the day.

The meeting went well. Donna Fitzgerald, the social worker, toured the home noting the sleeping arrangements of all the occupants. After a discussion with Ralph and Time she had a private conversation with the boys. Her discussion had included their work and school schedule. Ralph explained that the boys were taking the bus to school in the morning. One of them walked the boys to the bus stop on the corner. After school the boys walked the two blocks to his mother’s home. There they either played or did homework until one or both of them picked the boys up after work. Donna asked if it was OK to visit Ralph’s mother. He of course approved and later called his mother to inform him of the visit.

Donna returned a week later. She stated that she had a plan that was unusual but thought would be satisfactory to all. By all she meant the little boys, Tim and Ralph and also the State of Pennsylvania. If they were a married couple, man and wife, or a single woman or even two women living together the State would approve the boys staying there. But, men were not considered as proper parents by some in the State. In her opinion this was ridiculous but that was the way it was. Both Tim and Ralph suddenly felt a great weight on them as they considered the loss of the boys. “But, don’t worry. I have a plan. I have talked to your mother Ralph. Actually she and I came up with this plan. I will recommend your parents become guardians of the boys. I will not be doing bed checks so if they sleep at your home almost every night no one will know. I do request that at least once a week, maybe less in the future, the boys sleep at your parents’ home. Ralph, you should sleep there that night also. I don’t want the boys to feel that they are being bounced around. Their lives have been unsettled enough.”

She also told Ralph and Tim she had visited the boys’ grandmother. As the closest relative the grandmother had the right to gain custody of the boys. The Social Worker related her conversation with the grandmother. “I told the grandmother her daughter, Mary, had left town leaving the boys. I then told her the boys were with a couple who were willing to take care of the boys until the mother returned or if she did not return the State determined permanent care for the boys. However, as the closest kin to the boys she, the grandmother, had the right to request custody. Then I explained that if she gained temporary custody the boys would still be wards of the State. As such the State would review the living conditions of the boys. First there would be an inspection of the grandmother’s home. Then there would be unannounced inspection visits. I reminded her that I had discussed the boys situation with the sheriff and that he told me there had been disturbances at her home and complaints by neighbors about activities at her home. I explained that if there were any unusual activities at her home that threatened the boys’ safety the State would immediately remove the boys followed by arrests. I then asked her if it she approved of this couple that had their back ground thoroughly inspected by the State be permitted to keep the boys or did she insist on her right as next of kin to take the boys. As expected, she relied that she loved the boys from the bottom of her heart but that she was unable to take them as she needed to work and did not make enough to pay for a baby sitter.”

For the next three months life was good for all in Breslau. The boys were wards of the State with Ralph’s mom and dad assigned as foster parents. They lived with and were raised by Tim and Ralph. They were at Ralph’s parents’ home every day after school and they had a sleep over at least once every two weeks with Ralph sleeping in his childhood room and the boys in the guest room with twin beds.

One day three months later the sheriff heard a rumor that Hank, the bully, Stephens was back in town looking for his wife, Mary. The sheriff immediately went to the school and told Principal Morton Hank was back. They determined that the boys were safe while in class. Principal Morton called Tim at work asking him to come to school immediately. While they did not believe Hank cared for his boys they would take no chances. The sheriff had a plan to get Hank out of town permanently but needed a couple of days to pull it off. They all agreed that the boys should be out of town for a few days. Tim suggested that one of them should take the boys to the farm in Seville. They were sure Peter and Tom would approve. Ralph called Tom having gotten his work number by calling Ann. He explained the situation and Tom replied that there was no problem. Uncle Will was living at the farm and with the new addition on the house there was plenty of room for them all. Tom told him he would contact Uncle Will. They could leave Breslau immediately.

Forty-five minutes later the bell indicating the end of the school day rang. Ralph was waiting outside Eddie’s classroom and Tim outside Charlie’s. It was determined that Ralph would take the boys as Tim’s schedule at work was less flexible. The sheriff escorted them to their home where they packed and then he followed them to the county line. Ralph and his boys were on their way to a fun visit on the farm.

That evening the sheriff and his deputy visited Smilies Bar. Hank was there as expected boasting about his many conquests and complaining that his bitch Mary was not around for a real man fuck. The sheriff went to Hank and suggested they sit in the corner and have a conversation. Hank told the sheriff he had no right to harass him and to get the fuck away. The sheriff calmly replied that he had an arrest warrant for him and that there were deputy sheriffs outside. Actually the sheriff was bluffing. He had no arrest warrant and there was only one deputy outside. “Let’s just sit in the corner and have a quiet man to man discussion. Maybe we can work things out.”

Hank agreed and they sat in a quiet spot or at least as quiet a spot as there was in Smilies. “Hank, you have been gone a long time. It’s been about six years since we have had the pleasure of seeing your sorry ass here in Breslau. When you left your wife Mary had just given birth to your second son. Now, Mary has disappeared. (the sheriff did not mention that Hank’s sons were still in Breslau). Since your disappearance six years ago the county has been helping to support your sons. This is legally the responsibility of the parents. Mary did what she could. The county did the rest. You as father of the boys have a legal, I repeat legal, responsibility to take care of the boys. Now, in a similar situation the father paid the county $50.00 a month. Now since you have two boys that would be $100.00 a month. With twelve months in the year that is $1,200.00 a year. You have been gone six years. So you owe the County six years at $1,200.00 or approximately $7,200.00. If you don’t pay you could go to jail until payment arrangements are made.”

Hank replied, “You know Mary is a whore, those boys ain’t mine.”

“Well, we have a problem here. You were married to the mother of the boys and are listed on their birth certificates as the father. So as far as the State and County are concerned you are the father unless you can prove and I said ‘prove’ that you are not. To do that you will have to hire a lawyer. Also, until you can prove it you might be sent to jail. Since you probably owe the County at least $7,200.00 you would have to post bond to stay out of jail. Now, I am not a lawyer so I don’t know all the law here. But I do know you are in a shitload of trouble. This conversation we are having is unofficial, just between two guys. But the next time I see your sorry ass the conversation will be official which means I will be required by law to bring you in. If I never saw your face again I will bring you in. I’m going to leave now. First let me see your wrists. I want to make sure I have the correct size of handcuffs for the next time we meet. You have a nice night and a pleasant trip to wherever you go just as long as it is not in my jurisdiction. Since I have been so good to you this evening why don’t you send $100.00 to the County Welfare Fund. The fund could use the money to buy food for the children of some destitute woman.”

The sheriff left Smilies as he chuckled to himself, I sure am good at bullshiting – I wonder what the law really is in this situation. Hank, the bully, Stephens was never seen in Breslau again.

Copyright © 2017 Tallguyct; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Man, that was a worrisome title...it made me think Mary had been killed, and that Hank was going to cause serious trouble!
I'm so glad the sheriff and social worker are on the boys' side, and that the principal is such a good guy too. Tim and Rafe have some very good people on their side.
More please!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It is a shame, mostly, that creative police and social work is probably done less today than back then. Unfortunately it did tend to tie in to being white male and working or being deserving vs. undeserving poor. I love the way you pull these stories together. When I came out first in the late 60's my Dad would say he could understand the way I was but did I have to talk(meaning be open) about it. Your guys and women do a wonderful job of that and you also show that semi hidden network within and around the community at that time.
Again I love this story. Thanks for your labor. Pax. Steve

Link to comment
On 05/01/2016 12:41 AM, Gandalf said:

It is a shame, mostly, that creative police and social work is probably done less today than back then. Unfortunately it did tend to tie in to being white male and working or being deserving vs. undeserving poor. I love the way you pull these stories together. When I came out first in the late 60's my Dad would say he could understand the way I was but did I have to talk(meaning be open) about it. Your guys and women do a wonderful job of that and you also show that semi hidden network within and around the community at that time.

Again I love this story. Thanks for your labor. Pax. Steve

I am no expert on social workers or police of the 1960s (or today) but it made a good story line. I decided to make this an overall happy story. Thanks for reading.

Link to comment
On 04/30/2016 08:12 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Man, that was a worrisome title...it made me think Mary had been killed, and that Hank was going to cause serious trouble!

I'm so glad the sheriff and social worker are on the boys' side, and that the principal is such a good guy too. Tim and Rafe have some very good people on their side.

More please!

I have a very (VERY) general outline of the story. Each chapter just falls out of my head as I write. What happens, happens. The principal is in the closet as he would have to be back then. Not sure if I am going to give him a bigger role in the story. One of my best friends is an assistant principal at a small public school in the back woods of Massachusetts. He is out and proud - no problems with the community. Times sure have changed since the 1950-60s

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..