Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Since CJ is away....

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that there isn't an official definition of an island vs a continent. Australia is right in the middle of the two in size, so is it an island, a continent, or an island-continent? I tend to go with the later....

For example, <a href="http://www.graphicmaps.com/aatlas/infopage/islands.htm" target="_blank">http://www.graphicmaps.com/aatlas/infopage/islands.htm</a> lists Greenland as the largest island, but then concedes in the note that Australia is an island and is larger.

<a href="http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzlargeisland.htm" target="_blank">http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzlargeisland.htm</a> also says that Greenland is the largest, and argues that Australia is large enough to be a continent, but they don't indicate how they picked "large enough".

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_area" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_area</a> has it both ways -- saying that Australia is a continent, but is sometimes called "The Island Continent".

To summarise, the general consensus is that Greenland is the largest island and Australia is the smallest continent, but since there are no formal definition of what distinguishing an island from a continent, I'm going with Australia as The Island Continent, and graciously allow Greenland to be the largest island that isn't also a continent... :P

Okay, i'm officially confused! :wacko:

• Site Administrator

Yikes :blink: I may have missed a day or two of jokes, thus letting the post count fall by a smidgen or two.

So here is some quick ones to make up for the absence of jokes.

Feel free to groan out loud at these:

What do you call an unemployed goat?

Billy Idol

What do you call a goat swimming in the ocean?

Billy Ocean

What do you call the best "butter" on the farm?

goat

Well, I'm running low on goat jokes, so I'll continue to search out, and see what I can find.

Have a great day

Steve B)

PS: To see the hidden text, hold down the left mouse and drag over the text

• Site Administrator
Okay, i'm officially confused! :wacko:

This is what we get for not having an official definition of what is an island. Defining an island as a landmass that isn't a continent that is surrounded by water just defers the problem to defining what is a continent. On Earth, you can define the continents by listing them, but once we find the first extra-terrestrial world with oceans and landmasses, the problem will re-appear. This is why there was so much debate recently on what is a planet. They weren't so much concerned as to our solar system, but other solar systems. Without some reasonably clear definition, working out how many planets other solar systems have (with potential naming rights) would be a nightmare.

We need to get a move on, everyone! CJ will probably be signing in again soon, and we need to get this thread to 200 posts before then....

• Site Administrator

Well, what should we talk about.

How bout this:

Who posted in: Since CJ is away....

Poster Posts Graeme 30 Ieshwar 21 wildone 17 TalonRider 14 Bondwriter 13 BeaStKid 11 Benji 9 EMoe57 8 Lugh 7 frenchcanadian 5 MikeL 3 NickolasJames8 3 Rabble_Rouser 2 JSmith 2 Bob D. 2 Dalmania 2 Dalmatia 2 Thirdeye 1 Jack Scribe 1 Krista 1 lashrac 1 jkeeling 1 Spuggy 1

I would like to point out that we even have a few newbies who have posted. :2thumbs:

Well, I guess there really is absolutely, unequivocally, nothing more that can be commented on analyzed or opined about these stats. 0:)

Is there? :devil:

Steve B)

Well, I guess there really is absolutely, unequivocally, nothing more that can be commented on analyzed or opined about these stats.

ya something in the lines of we can't wait for the next chapter,, and are ready to talk about anything to make the time goes by faster

well I finally signed up on these forums and I have to say that I love this story very very much!!! I have been a since the beginning of october. Hi all it is nice to talk about the QUEEN OF EEEEVIL CLIFFHANGERS TOO!!!

A warm welcome to you rbenn5,,, :great: don't worry, usually people here don't bites ;)

• Site Administrator
well I finally signed up on these forums and I have to say that I love this story very very much!!! I have been a :ph34r: since the beginning of october. Hi all it is nice to talk about the QUEEN OF EEEEVIL CLIFFHANGERS TOO!!!

The people don't bite, but watch out for the goats and echidna 0:)

Welcome, rbenn5! Now for the tough question -- are you a Caprican or a member of The Herd?

No need to answer immediately... wait until you get the best offer ;)

• Site Administrator
Graeme, you want him to choose "a member of the Herd" right, LOL 0:)

My wishes are irrelevant. It's up to him if he would prefer to be a Caprican or part of The Herd.

• Site Administrator
well I finally signed up on these forums and I have to say that I love this story very very much!!! I have been a :ph34r: since the beginning of october. Hi all it is nice to talk about the QUEEN OF EEEEVIL CLIFFHANGERS TOO!!!

Welcome rbenn5, I too have only been posting since the beginning of October 0:)

Steve :P

Well, welcome. Glad to see innocent newcomers acknowledge CJ as a worthy Queen of Evil Cliffhangers.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..