Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Since CJ is away....

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah the joys of not living in a DST place... Arizona refuses to acknowledge the sensless act of killing innocent time, therefore we do not adjust our clocks! :lol:

Bob D. :wub:

PS United States DST ends Nov. 4th at 2am

Date change in 2007

On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the 2005 Daylight Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete.

PS United States DST ends Nov. 4th at 2am

Date change in 2007

On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the 2005 Daylight Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete.

Ya! well my super alarm clock changes time and date automaticly,, Last sunday I was all messed up with the time all morning because of that, and for all the day,,, turned out it was 9 not 8 when I woke up :P

• Site Administrator

I've been out at a customer site, so I'm late signing in today.

Since Daylight Saving has been discussed, I thought I'd educate everyone on the ridiculious situation we have in Australia. Consider the map below:

australia_hotel_Map.gif

We normally have three timezones:

GMT-10 The east coast (Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and (not shown) the Australian Capital Territory)

GMT-9:30 The middle of Australia (South Australia and the Northern Territory)

GMT-8 The west coast (Western Australia)

However, when daylight saving starts, three don't join in: Western Australia, Northern Territory and Queensland.

This means we end up with five timezones:

GMT-11 The south-east corner (New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory)

GMT-10:30 South Australia

GMT-10 Queensland

GMT-9:30 Northern Territory

GMT-8 Western Australia

Yes, South Australia is actually 30 minutes ahead of Queensland during our Summer....

Airline schedules are a nightmare around this time of the year.

• Site Administrator
That is just crazy!

You're not getting an argument from me on the subject....

But I honestly understand why some places don't have it. For example, in Perth, where most of the Western Australian population is located, it is already light until late at night. If they introduced daylight saving, it would light until 10pm at night. It doesn't make sense. Similarly for places in the tropics -- Queensland and Northern Territory.

Advantage of living in a small island! :P

You're just jealous that our island is bigger than your island :P:D

I remember the year they cancelled the end of DST and it rolled on through until the following Fall before it ended. The Great Oil Crisis of the '70s. Standing on the corner at the bus stop in the dark waiting to go to school - yup, I'm that old.

I know there is statistical proof of the energy savings during DST, but when some states do and some don't it just gets stupid... :wacko:

• Site Administrator
We normally have three timezones:

GMT-10 The east coast (Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and (not shown) the Australian Capital Territory)

GMT-9:30 The middle of Australia (South Australia and the Northern Territory)

GMT-8 The west coast (Western Australia)

However, when daylight saving starts, three don't join in: Western Australia, Northern Territory and Queensland.

This means we end up with five timezones:

GMT-11 The south-east corner (New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory)

GMT-10:30 South Australia

GMT-10 Queensland

GMT-9:30 Northern Territory

GMT-8 Western Australia

Yes, South Australia is actually 30 minutes ahead of Queensland during our Summer....

Airline schedules are a nightmare around this time of the year.

Sounds like Canada. We have six time zones. All basically an hour apart except for Newfoundland, which is always a half hour different than everyone else. Crazy Newfies :D

You're just jealous that our island is bigger than your island :P:D

Hey, I thought size didn't really matter B)

Steve

• Site Administrator
Graeme, I have only one answer to such a profound accusation--- LOOK AT YOUR OWN SIG!!! :D:D :D :D

You obviously misunderstand the African proverb I've quoted. It is aimed at YOU to tell you that just because Mauritius is small, you can still make a difference. :D Australia knows we're the world's largest island, so we don't have a problem. We're also the world's smallest continent, but we KNOW we can make a difference -- even if it's only on the sporting field :P

Have you voted in The Queen Of The Evilest Clifhangers' poll? It is quite needed to prove CJ is The Queen Of The Evilest Clifhangers.

I've voted :D

• Site Moderator

The difference in the world time zones makes it interesting to schedule chat meetings. During the writing of 'Collision', we held a weekly chat session. While it was 9 p.m. for me, when Graeme joined us, it was 11 a.m. the next day for him.

Jan

• Site Administrator

It's impossible to have a worldwide chat without inconveniencing people. The best you can do is to schedule things to make it easy for the majority. That usually means the Americas, Europe and Africa. With my current company's worldwide sessions, they are usually around 2am, Melbourne time. I haven't been on any, so far... 0:)

• Site Administrator
Wasn't Greenland the world's largest island?

The problem is that there isn't an official definition of an island vs a continent. Australia is right in the middle of the two in size, so is it an island, a continent, or an island-continent? I tend to go with the later....

For example, http://www.graphicmaps.com/aatlas/infopage/islands.htm lists Greenland as the largest island, but then concedes in the note that Australia is an island and is larger.

http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzlargeisland.htm also says that Greenland is the largest, and argues that Australia is large enough to be a continent, but they don't indicate how they picked "large enough".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_area has it both ways -- saying that Australia is a continent, but is sometimes called "The Island Continent".

To summarise, the general consensus is that Greenland is the largest island and Australia is the smallest continent, but since there are no formal definition of what distinguishing an island from a continent, I'm going with Australia as The Island Continent, and graciously allow Greenland to be the largest island that isn't also a continent... :P

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..