Would you agree to be part of a polyamorous relationship?

Hylas

Would you agree to be a part of an open relationship?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you agree to be part of a polyamorous relationship?

• Yes, the more the merrier.
    • Yes, but only if I feel strongly for both (or more) partners.
    • No, I'm a one person person.
    • I don't know, It depends...

So stemming from the bisexuality questions...

Would you accept being part of a relationship with three or more members, possibly even of different sexes?

Menzo called it trying to have the cake and eat it too... LOL... but hey, lots of people are actually doing that now.

From the Wiki:

Polyamory (from Greek πολυ (poly, literally

I said 'No, I'm a one person man'. I don't think I could share someone else for a LTR. And if I were in a threesome, I'd always be paranoid that the other two would have a stronger relationship and feel like a 3rd wheel.

But if it works for others, yay for them :D .

Vic

P.S. - Now if Paul Walker & Tom Cruise ask me to be a 3rd with them, I'd be game :wub:

***This post has been labeled Label Free

Edited by NaperVic

Ok, I'm the weirdie who replied 'It depends'.

Btw, I find that you are all looking from a POV where you are the one whihc many partners. What if your companion has more than one? I mean, you and one(or more) more!

I'm sticking to one but I can't guarantee about the one in love. I frankly dpn't know. I know it sounds weird and kinda wrong to share love but the obsession in love should never be underestimated.

Ieshwar

No. Never.

I could have (if I was feeling slutty enough, at least) multiple sexual partners at one time, but if I actually loved/was in a serious relationship with someone, they would be my only partner, and I would except to be theirs. I have never understood the 'open' relationship concept, though it seems to work for some.

Menzo (who is quite happy to either have or eat, but not both, his cake)

I'd have to say that I guess it could be possible. my answer is maybe, and it would be a love triangle and not just for sex. I know it is possible to love and really trully care more than one.

But to be able to do so you'd need to have good faith and trust. It sure wouldn't work if you're always thinking that the 2 others loves each other more than they loves you.

I still think that even if you love both of them, you'll prolly feel at some point better with one but on other times better with the other one.

• Site Administrator

I found the question incomplete. A polygamous relationship will only work if all parties involve agree to how it will work. Anyone who has been in a monogamous relationship will know how hard it can be -- adding extra people adds layers of complexity that can be daunting.

Sexually and emotional, I believe I'm capable of being in a polygamous relationship, in terms of being able to love more than one person. However, my wife is a strictly monogamous person and that ends the question for me -- I'm not interesting in considering anyone else because it would mean the end of my current relationship.

I'm also not sure if I would be able handle the complexities of an emotional and sexual relationship involving multiple adults. I've worded that carefully because I AM in a relationship with multiple people, though two of them are young kids and that part of the relationship is very different in nature to the one I have with my wife. The relationship I have with my sons is not the sort that is being asked about here, but it still causes a lot of complexity.

Graeme, it's Polyamorous not Polygamous (which mean having more than one wife, a concept quite acceptable in half the world religions). And yes I can see your situation too. :S

Okay after a night of thinking, I still say it depends on the situation... :P Meh. It would probably be NO, tho. Vic stated one of my fears: I'd be scared of feeling like a third wheel. :(

umm... but I'd choose Jay Hernandez and Josh Hartnett please. LMAO

Considering I have no luck with guys (Im so extremely shy in real life its embarrassing), I find it hard to think of a relationship with two people, but I answered 'Yes but only if I feel strongly for them'. It probably wont happen in any case xD

• Site Administrator
Graeme, it's Polyamorous not Polygamous (which mean having more than one wife, a concept quite acceptable in half the world religions). And yes I can see your situation too. :S

My apologies. However, I think my comments still apply -- I just used the wrong word :P

Relationships just involving two people can be complex enough, and a lot are unbalanced (in that one partner tends to dominate). I would be concerned about any relationship that involved three or more people in how the interaction between them would work. I'm reading the concept as more than just multiple sexual partners, but in having more than one emotional/sexual relationships at the same time, where all parties understand and accept the situation.

No. Never.

I could have (if I was feeling slutty enough, at least) multiple sexual partners at one time, but if I actually loved/was in a serious relationship with someone, they would be my only partner, and I would except to be theirs. I have never understood the 'open' relationship concept, though it seems to work for some.

Menzo (who is quite happy to either have or eat, but not both, his cake)

Menzo summed up my thoughts about this nicely. My reasoning is also strongly based on Graeme's thoughts.

• Site Administrator
....My reasoning is also strongly based on Graeme's thoughts.

I really need to start being more controversial. Too many people seem to agree with me :P

Even thought I marked yes, with conditions, I can never see it happening in my current situation as my wife is positively monogamous, but never say never, I always say. If you can think of it, it's been done or someone is going to do it before you get the chance.

What I can't see is it working with an odd number of people because there is always someone who is left out of something and this might lead to a tiny bit of jealousy, which given the opportunity can grow out of proportion.

So, in a perfect world it might work. I'd certainly be willing to share my love with three other people who are sharing their love too, but as we all know perfection is hard to come by and if it does come your way it's bound to wear out in due time. :(

I voted that it would depend on, whatever? Lol. I would feel conflicted if I had more than one person that I feel strongly for. Also, it would have to be two guys as I'm straight, but I am not completely against something like that. I mean, people have the capacity to love more than one person, but if it's not returned or shared equally then things would feel selfish. It would be a lot more complicated for people trying it for the first time, but it would definitely have it's rewards if the feelings are shared.

It's not a negative thing if people can work out a relationship like that, I just don't see myself in a relationship like that.

Also, Paul Walker is MINE.. and I won't share him. :wub::D

Krista

Hmmmm? Well, now, perfection in a relationship with myself seems and impossibility, let alone with someone else.

I will say at one time I did entertain the idea of being in a relationship with two other guys. I immediately quick smoking that stuff and returned to my senses...I think.

Seriously, I would not rule it out as a possibility, rare that it were. I have multiple friendships and have a balance in those. Before everyone jumps on the sex angle, the issue stated was to have a mutual agreement amongst all parties, if that was where it all hinged I would then say yes, I could do it. Would, is an altogether different matter.

Interesting topic. I'll chew on it some more and respond with a more almost definitive answer. :wacko:

--Steven Keiths

I've thought about this before. If I really, truly, certainly, and beyond any doubt KNEW I loved them both dearly, with all of my soul, and the feelings were mutual between all of a us... then I think I could do it. There would be no jealousy because we'd all love each other completely and totally.

However, such a situation is just highly unlikely. It could be possible, and I can't think of anything more wonderful than having two people who love you and each other, and are both loved by you to all be in a happy, successful relationship. It would be great, but it would not be likely to happen. I'm an open minded guy, though, and I think it's a possibility.

Yes, but only if I feel strongly for both (or more) partners.

and that partner is comfy with being in a relationship like this.

I know what I am asking for is too good to be true, but that is how I am... My immediate second choice would be, no I'm a one person person... :)