Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let The Music Play Ch 18: Shadow Rising

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator

A good chapter (not that I expected anything else :P )

I loved the present from The Shadows to Chase -- how embarrassing can you make a gift? Chase got out of it beautifully, though. I also loved Chase's revenge on Brandon. I think it's the type of revenge that Brandon will go out of his way to have repeated....

And I was right with the Tequila :2thumbs: I noticed that Helen has decided to break Eric's head in a future chapter as a consequence, since I really can't see him giving up the stuff. ;)

yay, I'll be in the first ones to actually give comments this time around,,

It was a good chapter, just like we've been use to really.

The party was nice, and Brandon finally been able to give his b-day gift to Chase. I was looking forward to that. A book on Interior decorating ideas!!! really?, geez, I know it was really last minute and that it was at the hotel gift shop, but at least they coulda given him some fiction. or a kama sutra guide, LOL :o

Yes, at the end of the party, Zeke and Steve were acting much more cool but not Wilde. He's up to something that might be wild, and I think that Wilde will pressure his band mates into whatever he's up to. For sure there's a little something there.

If Eric knows he does so much stupid stuff on tequila why in god's name he still drink some. and why Jon let him too, eventually one of his stunt will get him injured. Actually when he jumped off the roof's edge I woulda bet that he had broken somehing.

sacha

B) ............Ah te-kill-ya, thank g_d I don't drink that much of it anymore!! I did a few stunts way back in my time (Handstand on outdoor railing on the 2nd floor) Eric is definately the crazy one (but all of CJ's Erics are abit off though, aren't they?). A book on interior decorating :wacko: that was funny, and would have come off better had it gotten a laugh.....but no the other band was serious :wacko: . I wonder what the band really has in mind in rock climbing? Oh well I am guessing Red Rock Canyon!! Good Chapter CJ!!
  • Site Administrator
yay, I'll be in the first ones to actually give comments this time around,,

Second :P

The party was nice, and Brandon finally been able to give his b-day gift to Chase. I was looking forward to that. A book on Interior decorating ideas!!! really?, geez, I know it was really last minute and that it was at the hotel gift shop, but at least they coulda given him some fiction. or a kama sutra guide, LOL :o

I've never seen a kama sutra guid in a hotel book shop.... but fiction would probably have been a better (and safer) choice. Still, at least they tried to think of something appropriate, even if they got it absolutely and completely WRONG.

Yes, at the end of the party, Zeke and Steve were acting much more cool but not Wilde. He's up to something that might be wild, and I think that Wilde will pressure his band mates into whatever he's up to. For sure there's a little something there.

I forgot to mention this, so you're first with that one.

I really don't know what is going on there. It doesn't appear to be as simple as just uneasiness around gays. Eric believe Wilde is the key to The Shadow's behaviour, but I'm lost as to what that could be.

• Site Moderator

One possibility for Wilde. He could be the victim of some type of abuse when he was younger by a family member or older adult that could have been gay. Steve and Zeke could be aware of this and are trying to keep him calm, cool and collected.

Jan

CJ, I forgot to mention, I think you need to crack down on your Beta's. :worship:

Pool parties are always fun!!! :DB)

Crazy Eric! :wacko: Scared the crap out of me!!! :( I'm just glad Eric's jump from the roof didn't turn into a c----h-----.

Jon and Eric are being very protective of both Chase and Brandon. :wub:

Don't anyone go and get attached to any employees of the Scar and Dimitri road show. :( I believe the Scar hasn't farted in 3 years. He's gotta ease up. :P

I think Jan has the best explanation for Wilde's behaviour. I'm hoping it's much simpler than that, though. Maybe some gay dude hit on him rather intensely and for that reason he's very uncomfortable with gay men.. Maybe Wolfe believes he's irresistible to gay men...with his goth look and all so he's playing it low key. :blink:

Then again, Eric could be totally out to lunch in terms of reading the boys. :lmao:

I didn't understand the "Commando and wearing just a pair of white cotton shorts" opening sentence. You're either commando - sans nada - or not. :*)

Somehow, I think the Australian stone in the birthday necklace is part of the other story. Hmmm? Is there a Scar and Dimitri connection here?

Jack B)

• Site Administrator
I didn't understand the "Commando and wearing just a pair of white cotton shorts" opening sentence. You're either commando - sans nada - or not. :*)

I thought commando meant going without underwear. The white cotton shorts would be shorts -- not boxer shorts. eg. like the ones that tennis players used to wear. So he's wearing shorts without underwear.

Jack B)

edit: well graeme went faster than me :P and got it right

Here, brandon is wearing here shorts with nothing under them, and is shirtless.

sacha

• Site Administrator

Great chapter CJ !

How can you say anything bad about a whole chapter that is 9/10 a pool party :great: .

As far as the Shadows go, I don't think I trust any of them at all. Just a feeling that I get. Even though they say things are cool between them, Steve or Zeke haven't really said what got them riled up in the first place. And as far as Wilde goes, he hasn't said anything at all. I did love their gift though, luckily Chase turned their ignorance into humour.

I'm wondering if our goat is telling us the truth. If I was the new gunsmith, I would have been running for my life, even if it was out to the fertilizer project :o . Is that true, that (plastic) explosives won't react to fire? I would have thought just the sudden change in temperature would have caused the explosion.

I wonder what Jon and Eric are up to with the planning going on after seeing Brandon's reaction getting on the bus. I imagine that driving a bus wouldn't rank up there with flying a plane, but who knows?

One question for you CJ, that hopefully won't be considered a spoiler. You mentioned both story lines would eventually merge. I was wondering what the time difference is between the two stories at this point? I would guess that they boys will have concerts booked across the US (hopefully popping up to Canada for a concert or two) before they even consider going on to Australia.

Oh, and I almost forgot...No Cliffhanger. I'm impressed :2thumbs: .

Steve B)

I'm wondering if our goat is telling us the truth. If I was the new gunsmith, I would have been running for my life, even if it was out to the fertilizer project :o . Is that true, that (plastic) explosives won't react to fire? I would have thought just the sudden change in temperature would have caused the explosion.

One question for you CJ, that hopefully won't be considered a spoiler. You mentioned both story lines would eventually merge. I was wondering what the time difference is between the two stories at this point? I would guess that they boys will have concerts booked across the US (hopefully popping up to Canada for a concert or two) before they even consider going on to Australia.

Oh, and I almost forgot...No Cliffhanger. I'm impressed :2thumbs: .

Steve B)

I'm very short on time right now due to work, so I'll answer the other comments later but I wanted to address these. :)

The two storylines are roughly contemporaneous. In other words they are occurring at roughly the same time, give or take a day.

Now, for the explosives, that is an actual truth. Properly made High explosives are extremely safe to handle *IF* there is no detonator attached. The actual detonation requires a high-energy shockwave, so tossing the stuff into a fire is actually quite safe. Someone with expertise in explosives (such as that gunsmith has) would know this, as would Dimitri and The Scar (the Scar is an arms dealer). They were watching for just the reaction you mention; running in panic. That would show he's a phony, and he'd likely have been, ah, shall we say, otherwise employed at a different project had he done so.

However, high explosives can degrade over time, becoming unsafe. In the case of dynamite (basically nitroglycerine in clay) the sticks can degrade and "sweat" nitro, and nitroglycerine is unstable AND it can detonate violently. That means it can detonate, with enough energy to set of the dynamite. This is a lesson learned the hard way by more than one miner. Recently, one guy had a crate of dynamite in the back of his pickup truck in the phoenix heat. On his way home, it went kaboom for that reason. There were pieces of the pickup truck for hundreds of yards around, and a crater in the roadway. A sudden and fatal mistake, and if memory serves he got a Darwin award for it. However, plastique compounds are generally far more stable, long-term. I wouldn't throw dynamite on a fire, but plastique should be safe. It will burn, but it shouldn't explode.

And yes, shadowgod must be slipping; he didn't add a cliffhanger, even though Eric's leap would have made one. See? Isn't that proof that I never use cliffhangers? 0:)

• Site Administrator
And yes, shadowgod must be slipping; he didn't add a cliffhanger, even though Eric's leap would have made one. See? Isn't that proof that I never use cliffhangers? 0:)

The possible absence of a cliffhanger in one chapter does not prove that cliffhangers are never used. Assuming that chapter 18 did not end with a cliffhanger (an assumption I am not willing to raise to the level of 'fact'), all that means is that you didn't use a cliffhanger in that chapter. It provides no data as to the existence, or non-existance, of cliffhangers in other chapters.....

edit: well graeme went faster than me :P and got it right

Here, brandon is wearing here shorts with nothing under them, and is shirtless.

sacha

I think it is Chase who is commando with white shorts.

Commando and wearing just a pair of white cotton shorts, Chase leaned back, glancing out the sliding glass doors at the balcony of his suite.

Brandon is wearing jeans possibly without underwear.

Brandon stripped off his jeans and pulled on the blue Speedo he
Edited by MikeL
I thought commando meant going without underwear. The white cotton shorts would be shorts -- not boxer shorts. eg. like the ones that tennis players used to wear. So he's wearing shorts without underwear.

Ah...tennis shorts. Got it. Now I'll go into my corner and eat crow like a good boy.

Since there has been no comment the necklace, I assume the

A good chapter (not that I expected anything else :P )

I loved the present from The Shadows to Chase -- how embarrassing can you make a gift? Chase got out of it beautifully, though. I also loved Chase's revenge on Brandon. I think it's the type of revenge that Brandon will go out of his way to have repeated....

And I was right with the Tequila :2thumbs: I noticed that Helen has decided to break Eric's head in a future chapter as a consequence, since I really can't see him giving up the stuff. ;)

I'm sure Eric wouldn't even think of drinking tequila again. 0:)

The gift idea gave me a good laugh too. There was more than one case of foot in mouth in that chapter. :lmao:

If Eric knows he does so much stupid stuff on tequila why in god's name he still drink some. and why Jon let him too, eventually one of his stunt will get him injured. Actually when he jumped off the roof's edge I woulda bet that he had broken somehing.

sacha

All I can say about Eric's behavior is this; how many teems do crazy things when drunk, and then drink again? :) Eric seems to enjoy the effect of tequila, as it gives him an excuse to "cut loose". :)

B) ............Ah te-kill-ya, thank g_d I don't drink that much of it anymore!! I did a few stunts way back in my time (Handstand on outdoor railing on the 2nd floor) Eric is definately the crazy one (but all of CJ's Erics are abit off though, aren't they?). A book on interior decorating :wacko: that was funny, and would have come off better had it gotten a laugh.....but no the other band was serious :wacko: . I wonder what the band really has in mind in rock climbing? Oh well I am guessing Red Rock Canyon!! Good Chapter CJ!!

??? Nah, Eric in FTL was just a sweet, calm, lovable kid... 0:)

BTW, speaking of tequila... Okay, I'll fess up, I got that trait of Eric's from myself. I don't go that nutz, but I i've done sone crazy stuff in the past. Ummm, also, I hope to have an entry in the coming anthology entitled "Three for Jake." How is that related to tequila? Well, I'd been drinking shots of it at a Christmas party, and I wrote most of the story while drunk... I should really call it "Don't drink and write."

:wacko:

One possibility for Wilde. He could be the victim of some type of abuse when he was younger by a family member or older adult that could have been gay. Steve and Zeke could be aware of this and are trying to keep him calm, cool and collected.

Jan

CJ, I forgot to mention, I think you need to crack down on your Beta's. :worship:

I can't comment on Wilde, but as for the betas, yes, Shadowgod does get away with a lot, always tryig to sneak cliffhangers into my chapters. But, he's evil like that, ya know. 0:)

BTW, regarding the typos in this chapter, those are likely due to a major blunder on my part. I sent Emoe the WRONG version for editing. He got the one BEFORE I'd made some post-beta changes, and I did a merge when I got them back. So, no matter what, typos are my responsibility anyway (I'm the one who makes 'em! That's my job! :) ) but in this case, they likely occurred well after anyone but me worked on the chapter. :)

I've changed my file-handling routine so I hopefully won't make this goof again. :)

Pool parties are always fun!!! :DB)

Crazy Eric! :wacko: Scared the crap out of me!!! :( I'm just glad Eric's jump from the roof didn't turn into a c----h-----.

Jon and Eric are being very protective of both Chase and Brandon. :wub:

Don't anyone go and get attached to any employees of the Scar and Dimitri road show. :( I believe the Scar hasn't farted in 3 years. He's gotta ease up. :P

Then again, Eric could be totally out to lunch in terms of reading the boys. :lmao:

Yes, Eric's leap, especially the part where he realizes he didn't bother to check which end of the pool is the deep end, could have been one of those, uh, vertical rock-face things... 0:) But I'd never do such a thing, now would I? 0:)

I was hoping you'd like the pool party, Conner, I was hoping you would while I was writing it. :)

Don't worry about The Scar, he's just a little serious, but a nice guy at heart. 0:)

Somehow, I think the Australian stone in the birthday necklace is part of the other story. Hmmm? Is there a Scar and Dimitri connection here?

Jack B)

"Commando" usually means "no underwear" at least I think it does, but that's how I meant it. That's why Brandon had to lure Chase into changing. :boy:

I can't comment on the stone. :)

Ahh, you hit on something I didn't think of; the cotton shorts could be interpreted as underwear. You're right, they aren't, but I should have made that clear.

The possible absence of a cliffhanger in one chapter does not prove that cliffhangers are never used. Assuming that chapter 18 did not end with a cliffhanger (an assumption I am not willing to raise to the level of 'fact'), all that means is that you didn't use a cliffhanger in that chapter. It provides no data as to the existence, or non-existance, of cliffhangers in other chapters.....

Awww, but Graeme, how could Ch 18 have ended in a cliffhanger? (chapter 18 as posted, that is!) It's not a cliffie in any way?

Well, i admit I left a few rather large clues in Ch 18 regarding what comes next, but forshadowing isn't a cliffhanger. :P

I think it is Chase who is commando with white shorts.

Brandon is wearing jeans possibly without underwear.

Yep, right on both, until Brandon put the speedos on. Brandon and Chase had been rather, um, busy the night before. 0:)

Since there has been no comment the necklace, I assume the

Oh! Everyone on road trip! Yay!

The pool party was great. I loved every bit of it! :D As for the Shadows...I still don't know what to think of them. Zeke seems to be okay and I feel he's good or will be good in future. Steve? I don't know. Wilde doesn't seem to be very nice. Btw, who's the leader? I know it's Steve but Wilde?

And the gift, the interior decoration one :D I think they thought that being gay, Chase would be interested in it. Funny.

Btw, have you guys wondered why CJ chose this stone only?...

Great job, as usual!

Take care,

Ieshwar

• Site Administrator
As for the Shadows...I still don't know what to think of them. Zeke seems to be okay and I feel he's good or will be good in future. Steve? I don't know. Wilde doesn't seem to be very nice. Btw, who's the leader? I know it's Steve but Wilde?

I agree that Zeke seems okay, but don't forget he was a bit uncomfortable saying goodbye to Brandon in the earlier chapter. He's not relaxed with Brandon -- something is still stressing him. Steve appears to have a problem, but I get the impression it's not the obvious one. Wilde -- we just don't know a lot about. He's the quiet goth guy in the back....

And the gift, the interior decoration one :D I think they thought that being gay, Chase would be interested in it. Funny.

At least they tried to pick something appropriate. You have to give them points for that. :lol:

Brandon picked it, and he picked it because it came from Australia (which is usually a good enough reason for picking something), and because he knew they were going to Australia (a good idea for anyone who doesn't live here). I don't have any reason to suspect CJ has an ulterior motive in the choice of the stone. Do you?

Brandon picked it, and he picked it because it came from Australia (which is usually a good enough reason for picking something), and because he knew they were going to Australia (a good idea for anyone who doesn't live here). I don't have any reason to suspect CJ has an ulterior motive in the choice of the stone. Do you?

B) ......I'm sure CJ had Brandon pick that stone exactly because it came from Australia, however I don't think there was any other motive than that of just being a reference.

• Site Administrator

Amazing how you can read something into what you read. With the talk of the tiger's eye, I decided to look it up. Not only did it have a description, but it also has meaning to it and who should receive it. You can read it here . It seems like maybe this stone may have been better suited for Brandon than Chase, unless it is really Chase that is the shy reserved person :D .

Either way, I wonder if CJ knew this when he picked the gemstone.

Steve B)

B) ................Cliffhanger....hummmmm......the gang is going to go rock climbing....it's seems obvious to me that the wily goat is going to leave us with a Christmas cliffhanger. The tiger eye stone is a ruse.. :P

I think Jan has the best explanation for Wilde's behaviour. I'm hoping it's much simpler than that, though. Maybe some gay dude hit on him rather intensely and for that reason he's very uncomfortable with gay men.. Maybe Wolfe believes he's irresistible to gay men...with his goth look and all so he's playing it low key. :blink:

I believe the term is Ockham's Razor "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatemv."

Perhaps... Wilde's issue isn't with Chase or Brandon directly. Least number of assumptions: Wilde is either bi or a transvestite. :)

Oh! Everyone on road trip! Yay!

The pool party was great. I loved every bit of it! :D As for the Shadows...I still don't know what to think of them. Zeke seems to be okay and I feel he's good or will be good in future. Steve? I don't know. Wilde doesn't seem to be very nice. Btw, who's the leader? I know it's Steve but Wilde?

Great job, as usual!

Take care,

Ieshwar

Thanks!!

I can answer the bit about who the leader is. :) Steve is mentioned as both the lead singer and leader of the Shadows in the narration.

"No man, you gotta try it. Climbing is such a rush; there's just something about being on a cliff that makes you feel closer to God," declared the leader of The Shadows.

I'll answer abotu the stone lower down. :)

Actually, I did have one, though it's not related to the story. 0:)

B) ......I'm sure CJ had Brandon pick that stone exactly because it came from Australia, however I don't think there was any other motive than that of just being a reference.

There is one unrelated to the plot. Tiger's Eye is the stone for Capricorns, so I thought it might make the Capricans happy. (sorry, Herd, I didn't mean to play favorites.). :)

Amazing how you can read something into what you read. With the talk of the tiger's eye, I decided to look it up. Not only did it have a description, but it also has meaning to it and who should receive it. You can read it here . It seems like maybe this stone may have been better suited for Brandon than Chase, unless it is really Chase that is the shy reserved person :D .

Either way, I wonder if CJ knew this when he picked the gemstone.

Steve B)

That link also mentions the birthstone issue, too. :) And yep, i did research the stone. :)

B) ................Cliffhanger....hummmmm......the gang is going to go rock climbing....it's seems obvious to me that the wily goat is going to leave us with a Christmas cliffhanger. The tiger eye stone is a ruse.. :P

Cliffhanger? For Christmas?!?!? :o Ack, i never thought of that... Ok, I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll stand guard on the chapter and try to keep Shadowgod from adding any bits to the end of chapter ninteen. He's evil like that, ya know.

Okay, a serious question. I've never tired to follow this many characters in one of my stories before, and the cast is far more crowded than I'm used to. Are y'all having trouble keeping track of who is who? I'm trying to keep things clear, and have distinctive names, but I know I often have trouble keeping the characters straight (Well, you know what I mean) in my head when I'm reading a story with a large cast. Am I doing okay on this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

CJ

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..