Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play, Chapter 37

Gary, I don't disclose such info when I edit or beta read. However, I think what is to be disclosed should be up to the author in question. Having said that, I may drop little innocent hints here and there, but rarely do I mention something pivotal in the plot. As for someone dying, it looks like we may be sacrificing a goat to the gods. :evil:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on. Let's be real here! There are at least four missiles streaking toward the plane at supersonic speeds. That means they are mere seconds away from blowing the plane out of the sky. Personally I think Instinct is as good as dead. That means it's up to Joe to do something that will cast suspicion on The Scar. Then the authorities could keep an eye out for him and arrest him on the spot. End of story!

Then again this is CJ we're discussing. So it can't really be that simple can it?

Regarding the beta-read and editor issue. I think it's fine for the author to leak teasers of what's to come. Anything else is unacceptable. I really don't want this to come across as a personal attack on CJ's team because it's not. I've seen the same thing happen with other stories so my comments are not directed at CJ's team. I think beta-readers and editors should have to sign what amounts to an NDA.

B) ..........That is the real cliffie to this, 4 missiles seconds away from impact, the only way they can avoid this tragedy is if the plane does a sudden tailspin. But then Major Pierce has sidewinders ready to fire, so even if Brandon crash lands the plane, saving himself and whoever else on board the goat deems worthy. There are F-16 ready to strike if the Major fails. But Brandon is the main character in the story afterall, surely the goat doesn't intend to kill off the main character?? There are too many unresolved issues left hanging if the band dies now.

Brandon can still die, main characters as we know, doesn't me they won't die. I doubt brandon would know how to do a spilt s, edit (should of put this here) esp since it's crippled.

If watched a fighter special or a youtube video, spilt s it's mainly used to get away, or get to a opponent's six oclock.

http://www.combataircraft.com/tactics/split_s.aspx some of it may be wrong.

Edited by Drewbie
B) ..........That is the real cliffie to this, 4 missiles seconds away from impact, the only way they can avoid this tragedy is if the plane does a sudden tailspin. But then Major Pierce has sidewinders ready to fire, so even if Brandon crash lands the plane, saving himself and whoever else on board the goat deems worthy. There are F-16 ready to strike if the Major fails. But Brandon is the main character in the story afterall, surely the goat doesn't intend to kill off the main character?? There are too many unresolved issues left hanging if the band dies now.

While I would tend to agree... Brandon was the main character to a point. But if you step back and look at the last several chapters who has become the main character? I think Brandon introduced us to the story, however lately it just seems the story is more about Jerry/Scar then it is about instinct any longer.

If this is the goats intention, what better way to be rid of a pesky loose string the the story line? Could have Instinct merely been a device to drag us kicking and screaming into a tale of international intruige? It is highly likely, and a rather skillful rope-a-dope at that. How many of us would have read this far if Instinct weren't in play?

Granted, I like action films as much as the next guy; action films. However, my reading usually doesn't venture into this genre.

As for who is leaking what? No one has leaked anything period. Perhaps they made a misstep in saying that they have beta read future chapters, yet nothing else of consequence was mentioned. Had it been mentioned, the post would no longer exist. That I can assure. I know this much because I messed up when FtL was being posted, and mentioned something from a chapter that had yet to be released. the post was online for about 15 minutes before it was caught and redacted.

EDIT: pesky double negatives :(

Brandon can still die, main characters as we know, doesn't me they won't die. I doubt brandon would know how to do a spilt s

If watched a fighter special or a youtube video, spilt s it's mainly used to get away, or get to a opponent's six oclock.

http://www.combataircraft.com/tactics/split_s.aspx some of it may be wrong.

umm split s in a crippled business jet? he's running on one engine with poor response as it is. Any evasive manuvers are highly unlikely as Brandon lacks both the skill, and the responsive aircraft to do so.

Steve

I got an email from CJ asking me to "pop into the thread and certify the chapter cliffhanger-free". I responded by reminding him of my reply when I got to the end of 37 - excerpt below:

YOU SUCK! WHERE IS 38???

Ok, you don't suck - and I can tell you I have no clue if you typo'd anything toward the end of 37 because I was so caught up in the storyline.

I wasn't going to post but CJ asked me to, so there ya go, CJ - another well-written chapter! ;)

Right that's why I say I doubt he would know how to do it, plus it's crippled aircraft.

Even though it does look like they will die I will hold onto a bit of faith.

Would joe be able to come up with ideas that it might be his dad and be able to the authorities, and make it believable? wouldn't you need some evidence?

Edited by Drewbie
While I would tend to agree... Brandon was the main character to a point. But if you step back and look at the last several chapters who has become the main character? I think Brandon introduced us to the story, however lately it just seems the story is more about Jerry/Scar then it is about instinct any longer.

If this is the goats intention, what better way to be rid of a pesky loose string the the story line? Could have Instinct merely been a device to drag us kicking and screaming into a tale of international intruige? It is highly likely, and a rather skillful rope-a-dope at that. How many of us would have read this far if Instinct weren't in play?

Steve

:( ..........Brandon's dreams had been crushed far too often for him to ever believe, especially in himself. Follow along as he experiences some massive changes in his life, along with a few bumps in the road, and a few high-pressure situations.

Will this disappear before 38 is up??

Right that's why I say I doubt he would know how to do it, plus it's crippled aircraft.

Sorry Drewbie I misread what you said :*) . I will go be embarassed now, and you know get back to the work I'm being paid to do :P

Sorry Drewbie I misread what you said :*) . I will go be embarassed now, and you know get back to the work I'm being paid to do :P

We all make mistakes. Speaking of evil cliffhangers, how is Chapter 6 of DnCW coming along? 0:)

:( ..........Brandon's dreams had been crushed far too often for him to ever believe, especially in himself. Follow along as he experiences some massive changes in his life, along with a few bumps in the road, and a few high-pressure situations.

Will this disappear before 38 is up??

I'd venture a guess that Brandon's death will qualify as a massive change. The few bumps will be when the downed plane bounces a few times before coming to a rest and bursting into a ball of flames.

As I told Drewbie via PM, when CJ first started this story I sort of complained about what appeared to be a side story; The Scar. He told me I really should pay more attention to the "side story". Was that a subtle suggestion that the real story was that of The Scar?

[Edit Reason: Spelling correction.]

Edited by GaryInMiami
Regarding the beta-read and editor issue. I think it's fine for the author to leak teasers of what's to come. Anything else is unacceptable. I really don't want this to come across as a personal attack on CJ's team because it's not. I've seen the same thing happen with other stories so my comments are not directed at CJ's team. I think beta-readers and editors should have to sign what amounts to an NDA.

I've refrained from commenting as I did on FTL, as I got the chapters much more in advance, and usually in lots of two or three; I was afraid I'd give away some stuff, or my memories were much too remote to take part into the discussion. This time, CJ asked me to certify the cliffhanger-free compliance of 37. So I posted the comment I made before reading 38. And the other thoughts were these I had at that moment.

I'd venture a guess that Brandon's death will qualify as a massive change. The few bumps will be when the downed plane bounces a few times before coming to a rest and busting into a ball of flames.

As I told Drewbie via PM, when CJ first started this story I sort of complained about what appeared to be a side story; The Scar. He told me I really should pay more attention to the "side story". Was that a subtle suggestion that the real story was that of The Scar?

B) ...........Subtle??? We are talking goat here!!!!!

That's the most EVIL cliffhanger ever! :ph34r:

I'm gonna die from the stress of waiting for the outcome of this extremely evil cliffy. Or maybe Cloudy is better. egads...............

:angry:

I'm gonna die from the stress of waiting for the outcome of this extremely evil cliffy. Or maybe Cloudy is better. egads...............

:( ............I suppose when Scar yelled out " Let the music play" that was as subtle as a hint could be that the band was not the focus of the story.

:( ............I suppose when Scar yelled out " Let the music play" that was as subtle as a hint could be that the band was not the focus of the story.

I knew that The Scar was somehow related to the band, but I refuse to believe that it's all one big trainwreck and that he will not pay for his evil misdeeds. As for the band dying, I guess we'll have to prepare the alter for the sacrifice and wait to see what happens. B)

Cayman National Bank

US Dollar account #: 021 77 666

Transfer of 100,000$ plus PM to me= end of stress.

• Site Moderator

I was thinking about something before I got to this post. I remember reading somewhere, don't remember if it was in discussion somewhere, or a pm, but the story takes place sometime in the future. Not our current time. I can see the goat doing this to us.

At the moment of impact, Brandon wakes up from a very vivid dream and we find ourselves back at some earlier point in the story. Which would mean none of this happened.

I was thinking about something before I got to this post. I remember reading somewhere, don't remember if it was in discussion somewhere, or a pm, but the story takes place sometime in the future. Not our current time. I can see the goat doing this to us.

At the moment of impact, Brandon wakes up from a very vivid dream and we find ourselves back at some earlier point in the story. Which would mean none of this happened.

That's an interesting scenario, Jan. I think that's the best one yet! Okay, does CJ need a final edit for the chapter? I'm volunteering. :P

B) ...............37 chapters and we get a goats LSD flashback!! :o

Better then it all taking place in an snowglobe sitting on the desk of crazed writer in the wilds of Arizona.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..