Your Screen Name

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Moderator

I took my name from Talon, The Grip of Fear, at Dorney park. It's an inverted, compact roller coaster. And since I'm an American Coaster Enthusiast, I chose that name.

I've been using "darkfox" since mid-1991, but ran into conflicts with someone else (who started using the name after me :P ) and so ended up changing over to "darkfoxprime" for forums and such.

"darkfox" came from an online roleplaying system I was part of. The characters were all anthropomorphized animals, and at the time I was playing a fox named "quickfox" who's primary characteristics were an overabundance of energy and-a-tendency-to-go-for-whole-paragraphs-without-taking-a-break-or-a-breath-and-without-using-spaces-and-sometimes-without-ending-sentences-as-long-as-he-could-keep-his-train-of-thought-going.

Then I got hit by a massive dose of depression, and as I dropped towards being suicidal I changed quickfox into darkfox, who was basically posessed by a bloodthirsty demon, couldn't handle sunlight, fed off of negative emotions, and basically wanted to tear the living heart out of anyone around him and eat it.

That ended when I met my 17-year-partner-now-fiancee', and darkfox fell in love. :D

I patched up bits of Latin to make my fanfiction pseudonym -- 'dius corvus,' which can mean 'divine raven.' That was half a decade ago. Then I thought the 'divine' bit was too much, and shortened it down to 'corvus.'

I've been other things, too, from Tolkien's elvish to brain biology and Victor Hugo. But I won't list them here.

Drewbie is a nick name I got on ga two years back on chat.

I wish I could call you by your real name. It's one of my favorite names of all times. The full-length version too, not the nickname.

I wish I could call you by your real name. It's one of my favorite names of all times. The full-length version too, not the nickname.

I sometimes call him Andrew. It's one of the cutest names I know. For some reason, it also reminds of the character from Desperate Housewives. Damn, he is so cute. :wub:

I wish I had a better explanation for using the name I do, but I don't. Tigers just so happen to be awesome creatures. How could anyone not admire their power and superb hunting skills. They're also beautiful. :D

Well I suppose mine doesn't make much sense without the explaination, so...

Way back when my Grandpa was looking for a job in Alberta he decided to change his last name to something more british so it would be easier to find one. I'm not really sure if that was due to a racist thing or what. Anyway the last name I should have is Mykytiuk. It is pretty unusual so I naturally liked it. After a geneology project in school it almost became a nickname for awhile but I adopted it for an alias on the net, mostly because it was unique enough I didn't have to add numbers to the end for a screen name.

So anyway Myk is just the short version of it and for some reason it has just stuck for me. There you have it....

Greg :P

Interesting and sad story Greg. It's always sad when we have to change our name to avoid discrimination. My father had to do that right after WWII in order to have a less Jewish sounding name and get into a good law school. So Ketive got changed to Keith and dad graduated at the top of his class. He taught those bastards a lesson that there's more to a person than just their name. Go Dad! thumbs-up.gif

The reason why I used my screenname because two years ago, I love the things of Japan and all of the time on YouTube, I watch the Japanese baseball game and Rakuten is one of them. So... That's how I am, a gay guy who likes sports and Japan much...

The reason why I used my screenname because two years ago, I love the things of Japan and all of the time on YouTube, I watch the Japanese baseball game and Rakuten is one of them. So... That's how I am, a gay guy who likes sports and Japan much...

I always wondered if the team had anything to do with Japan's biggest shopping center owner, Rakuten. I just looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently the team is owned by Rakuten. They sure seem to have a lousy record, although this past season seems to have been their best so far. Still, an overall record of 152/257 isn't something to be proud of.

Well... Rakuten Golden Eagles is Japan's equalivent to Tampa Bay Rays or Florida Marlins, lol. :P But I consider last season as a step back into the playoffs that eluded the team and their fans like me...

We're getting way off-topic here so I'll ignore your comparison of the Eagles to the Marlins. :P

• Site Administrator

Graeme is a proud Scottish name, the celtic spelling for the name Graham (or is it that Graham is the anglo spelling for the name Graeme? :blink: )

The name of kings, it means... er... (looks it up)... never mind :P

It also happens to be my first name :mace:

several years ago I needed to create a hotmail account to use MSN Messenger. By that point I was using Padre Destino everywhere, which means "Father Destiny" and was taken from a character in a video game called Vigilante 8: Second Offense. It was a fun N64 game and the character had a special ability where his vehicle dove underground and attacked an enemy from underneath (it was a tank-like vehicle with a huge drill/plow on the front). Towards the end of high school I was sick of it, so I decided when I made the hotmail account to keep it simple, so I took the first letter of my first name and stuck it on my last name and voila, I had a new screenname. It wasn't hard actually, it was my screen name given to me by the high school to log into some of the specific technical computers which had a few numbers on the end, but I chopped those numbers off. rknapp had already been taken on hotmail, but in their suggestions of other names there was rknapp141 and I just took that instead. So, on many places my screen name is rknapp, and on others it is rknapp141.

My nickname here on GA was created back when there were two other Roberts on the forum. One of them went by Rob, and the other Robby. In chat, the present GA members unanimously voted that I would thereafter be dubbed "Robbie" to avoid confusion when asking for the attention for one of the three of us. I didn't complain, so there it is. I haven't seen either of those guys in a long time, but after being called Robbie for so long it's just better to stick with it.

• Site Administrator
Considering your situation isn't that a bit risky?

A calculated risk, but the name is more common here in Australia than it appears to be in the USA.

As an example, Graeme Kennedy was a major Australian TV personality who died recently. He was a household name when I grew up. He also happened to be gay 0:) There have also been major sportsmen with that first name. Professor Graeme Clark is a pioneer in the development of the cochlear implant to help the deaf. Graeme Base is a well known author of children's books (and I'm really jealous... only joking :D ).

Do a google search on Graeme and you'll get lots of hits in both Australia and Britain.

Rakuten06 is my widely-used forum name. Rakuten is used by the Japanese baseball team Rakuten Golden Eagles and 06 is the year I started to use it...

Cool! :great:

I'd always wondered about yours.

Does that explain it?

-- Master Raro

Fascinating and informative, thanks :)

When it comes down to it, my screen name is what it is because I used it on Comicality's forum before following him here. The "1"replaced the "l" because "Blue" was already taken at the time, I think.

It's also my name because my mother at once point campaigned to have one of my middle names be "Azul." Seeing as I go by my middle name, I'm just as happy she lost that to my outraged Catholic relatives.

*gasp*

You mean there's no Saint Blue? Now I shall have to come up with a different name for my future son lest my own Catholic relatives protest.

They were originally supposed to go to Minnesota but bought a compass from a street dealer in New York.

:lol:

Well, the first forum I joined online was only a few years ago and I used the name "Condor", taken after "3 Days of the Condor" -- a cool Robert Redford movie that only those of you my age or older may know. I used that same name when I first posted on GA in Dan's Do Over forum ... back in the olden days when "guests" could post.

When I joined GA, I didn't want to use "Condor" because it really didn't fit me.

You were "Condor"? I never knew that! I've seen that 'guest' several times in the old threads.

Among them was one knight Le Sieur Jean de Metz, who, while reportedly having found jeanne attractive, also found her to be a remarkable and pure figure and swore himself her protector for the course of the journey. It is from this noble knight that I derived the name Demetz

Good to know, and it rather suits you.

Mine is pretty obvious. I like razors. They're pretty, shiny, sharp, slick, sleek... they're alluring. It's an edge, it's full of symbolism, what more could you want? Razors are seemingly innocent, mostly used for shaving, but the blades are sharp and if you're not careful... well... who knows what we'll do, eh? :D

One should always handle a Razor with care.

Mine is the name of a city from a series of fantasy novels I read as a kid. I've always liked the name, especially the shortened version.

Ah, I'd always wondered about yours too, Menzo.

I don't get that one either :lol:

Zilar means Silver in the extinct language of the Basque (People who lived in Germany for a while, but no idea where they've gone to)

Oh, and I picked it because, some years ago, I wanted to make a knight character in a game once... Seemed like a good fit :)

:great:

Thanks for the info, Niels :)

That ended when I met my 17-year-partner-now-fiancee', and darkfox fell in love. :D

:wub:

I patched up bits of Latin to make my fanfiction pseudonym -- 'dius corvus,' which can mean 'divine raven.' That was half a decade ago. Then I thought the 'divine' bit was too much, and shortened it down to 'corvus.'

I knew the Latin, but I assumed it was a reference to the constellation. Like it better this way I think.

Drewbie is a nick name I got on ga two years back on chat.

Didn't realize it had been almost two years already!

I still call him "Drew" from his original incarnation. I like Andrew best myself I think. Dated an Andrew once...very hot, very sweet.

Way back when my Grandpa was looking for a job in Alberta he decided to change his last name to something more british so it would be easier to find one. I'm not really sure if that was due to a racist thing or what. Anyway the last name I should have is Mykytiuk. It is pretty unusual so I naturally liked it. After a geneology project in school it almost became a nickname for awhile but I adopted it for an alias on the net, mostly because it was unique enough I didn't have to add numbers to the end for a screen name.

How informative and fascinating!

My nickname here on GA was created back when there were two other Roberts on the forum. One of them went by Rob, and the other Robby. In chat, the present GA members unanimously voted that I would thereafter be dubbed "Robbie" to avoid confusion when asking for the attention for one of the three of us. I didn't complain, so there it is. I haven't seen either of those guys in a long time, but after being called Robbie for so long it's just better to stick with it.

'A Robbie by any other name would still be as sweet', but I'm glad you stuck with it too. I saw Robby a couple of weeks ago on MSN actually! Was lovely catching up.

So if anyone was curious about mine...

I'm generally a fairly friendly person, so mostly just that. However, the name was actually chosen to be an ideal 'lurker' name. It's completely different from my other types of SNs. I was really just going to register, say a few words in Dom's forum, and then wander away (from the site completely). Only it didn't quite happen. I decided to hang around 'a couple more days' to see if anyone responded to my post, and then I figured I'd might as well read a couple more stories while I chatted with those crazy Domaholics...then I eventually responded to a couple of those, and thought "well a couple more weeks then"...three years and several thousand posts later I fear my plans to slink away unnoticed might be foiled now.

-Kevin

• Site Administrator
I'm generally a fairly friendly person, so mostly just that. However, the name was actually chosen to be an ideal 'lurker' name. It's completely different from my other types of SNs. I was really just going to register, say a few words in Dom's forum, and then wander away (from the site completely). Only it didn't quite happen. I decided to hang around 'a couple more days' to see if anyone responded to my post, and then I figured I'd might as well read a couple more stories while I chatted with those crazy Domaholics...then I eventually responded to a couple of those, and thought "well a couple more weeks then"...three years and several thousand posts later I fear my plans to slink away unnoticed might be foiled now.

Does that make you CJ's original inspiration? As the shy, retiring lurker who never went away? :P

Rigel is the star in the foot of the constellation of Orion the Hunter. "Rijl" is arabic for "foot."

I love stargazing, and it's one of the few stars I can reliably see in my light-polluted inner suburb.

--Rigel

Well, my name reads beastkid...

The capitals in the name, mainly, B S and K, symbolize my name's initials (B being my fist name, S being my middle name and K being the last.)

Beast? Well, I am a bit hairy :*) and I have...ahem...animalistic tendencies...Plus, I am wild!! :P

Kid? Well, I, guess, I never grew up... :lol:

BeaStKid :devil: