Gender of the author: guess with the genie

Here is a tool to find out whether a text was written by a man or a woman.

I did a test with CJ's For the Love (after, of course trying with mine: Goldilocks is male, and Blow Up is female, strangely enough...)

So, chapter 1 of FTL is definitely male, whereas the epilogue is female.

Have fun with the toy!

Mmmm.... seems like I'm definitely female... though (if the ratio of the scores means anything) maybe my later works are not quite so feminine...

Thinking I might have spent years under a misapprehension, I just checked the reproductive equipment and it's definitely male. :/

Shorts:

Just Visiting - Female (Female score = 20301; Male score = 14697)

Chat Room - Female (Female score = 11820; Male score = 9831)

JTMD - Female (Female score = 9265; Male score = 7011)

Novels:

Tapping Ch1 - Female (Female score = 14869; Male score = 11371)

Tapping Ch9 - Female (Female score = 21268; Male score = 14891)

Tough Q Ch1 - Female (Female score = 8359; Male score = 6067)

Tough ! Ch10 - Female (Female score = 16617; Male score = 11576)

Perspective Ch1- Female (Female score = 11810; Male score = 9971)

Perspective Ch3- Female (Female score = 8339; Male score = 5534)

I wonder if that algorithm takes into account sexuality or just assumes both genders are hetero?

Kit

Heh, interesting toy.

I ran this on the four completed parts of my "Summer Love" story, and ended up with #1 and #4 getting marked female by a wide margin, and #2 and #3 getting marked male by a wide margin.

I didn't think I was that conflicted...

- dfp

These kind of pop psychology gimmicks always rely on fairly lame gender stereotypes. I suspect that if you ran it of works of famous serious writers of both genders, you'd get very mixed results. To the extent that books are written to appeal to specific pop gender markets, such as women's romance and men's action adventure, it ought to work better on them.

• Site Administrator

I just tried with four pieces:

Chapter one of my next novel (pre-edit): Female

Chapter one of my next novel (post-edit): Female, but by not as much (my editors are male -- their influence shows :P )

My Fall Anthology entry: Male

Another short story I've been working on: Female

Fun :D

You ain't Michael Phelps either. :P

True, but I still think he's hot. :wub:

Still, I don't see how anyone would come to the conclusion that any of Dark Earth: The Prophecy is written by a woman. :lol:

• Site Moderator

I did three stories for one of the authors that I work with and all three said female.

I even ran something that Tim has seen and it said I was female. I think not.

Well I got the results I expected: Female

LOL, I already knew I tended to think and express myself in that way.

Buy Me A Drink:

The only chapter that was male was the first one, which was actually fairly androgynous (similar scores but male edged it out), the rest (9 chapters and an interlude) were all female, most were markedly female but a couple others were near the middle too.

Indefensible:

Chapter two was the most 'male' thing I ever wrote...interesting considering I was going for a deeply emotional chapter. The other two chapters were female.

Short Stories:

If No One Notices:

Male, but not extremely

Going In:

Male (well it's fitting I guess), but not extremely

Giving up:

Female

The Long Good Night:

Female but not extremely

I tend to agree with Richard and Kit's observations though. This is probably in part due to the fact that I'm a gay male, and also the tool is playing on stereotypes. Nevertheless, I really do suppose I write more 'female' than 'male'.

-Kevin

EDIT:

I was curious so I also put in my new anthology piece. It turns out it's solidly (but not extremely) male. Actually, that does make sense to me. It was a 'different' sort of piece than I usually write.

Edited by AFriendlyFace
I tend to agree with Richard and Kit's observations though. This is probably in part due to the fact that I'm a gay male, and also the tool is playing on stereotypes. Nevertheless, I really do suppose I write more 'female' than 'male'.

I think that serious female novelists have tended to focus on the details of relationships more that serious straight male novelists. Gay male novelists do seem to be similarly concerned, if not perhaps obsessed, with relationships.

What I remember from a news article I read.. is that the program analyses punctuation. The theory being that women will emphasise their sentences more with ?!?! splashing than men will. How true that is I dont know, though. It may work better when analysing conversation rather than a piece of text.

Heh. It thinks Soulmate was written by a man, and Ex was written by a woman. Which is funny, since Soulmate's my mushy romantic piece and Ex is my cranky, curse-filled, vicious one.

Still, it's gotta be true -- would the internet lie to me? :)

What I remember from a news article I read.. is that the program analyses punctuation. The theory being that women will emphasise their sentences more with ?!?! splashing than men will. How true that is I dont know, though. It may work better when analysing conversation rather than a piece of text.

It doesn't seem to.

It actually shows what it's analyzing and it's just a set of key words that it decides are female versus male.

It didn't copy and paste too well, but here's the charts (which happened to be plugged in for my anthology piece):

Analysis

Feminine Keywords Masculine Keywords

[with] 96 x 52 = 4992 [around] 24 x 42 = 1008

[if] 25 x 47 = 1175 [what] 53 x 35 = 1855

[not] 166 x 27 = 4482 [more] 21 x 34 = 714

[where] 18 x 18 = 324 [are] 26 x 28 = 728

[be] 52 x 17 = 884 [as] 266 x 23 = 6118

[when] 62 x 17 = 1054 [who] 9 x 19 = 171

[your] 16 x 17 = 272 [below] 1 x 8 = 8

[her] 215 x 9 = 1935 [is] 46 x 8 = 368

[we] 14 x 8 = 112 [these] 8 x 8 = 64

[should] 5 x 7 = 35 [the] 624 x 7 = 4368

[she] 261 x 6 = 1566 [a] 271 x 6 = 1626

[and] 408 x 4 = 1632 [at] 87 x 6 = 522

[me] 22 x 4 = 88 [it] 166 x 6 = 996

[myself] 0 x 4 = 0 [many] 3 x 6 = 18

[hers] 1 x 3 = 3 [said] 96 x 5 = 480

[was] 292 x 1 = 292 [above] 0 x 4 = 0

[to] 410 x 2 = 820

What I consider interesting is that "she" and "hers" are key words for female but "he" and "his" are not keywords for male. I can understand that if the focus is simply on the fact that females will be more concerned with gender and other such relationships, but I think it's a bit skewed for gay males. I use female pronouns every now and then, but obviously I'm going to use a whole lot more male pronouns. So I think male pronouns ought to appear somewhere, even if it's on the female side.

As an interesting aside I was completely unaware that I hadn't used the word 'above' even once in my story (which is actually rather long). I'm not surprised I didn't use 'myself' since it's told in 3rd person.

....I wonder if I just gave you spoilers :lol:

Edited by AFriendlyFace

The Campers Nightmare: Male (I worte like a male? When did I do that?)

A Butterfly's Dream:

Prolouge, chapter 2, chapter 3, chapter 4, chapter 5, and chapter 6: Male (again, WTF?)

Chapter One: Female (finally!!)

Finding someone: Female

Gum and Arguements: Female

Leaving it all behind: Male

So lets, see, 6 chapters of ABD sounds male, while only one sounds female. 2 of my one shots is female and one is male....so, 7 parts is male while 3 parts are female...wtf? Really? I write like a male...?

*goes off to assure herself she's female* I need to leave the computer and stare at my reflection for a bit.

I put 25 of my stories through this analysis. 9 male, 16 female. Stories with female characters always came out female. Stories with emotional content came out female.

Pretty much meaningless, but fun anyway.

Colin B)

This thing is kinda cool...

Chapter 1 of The Clasp of Requiem (or what's written of it so far)- female by little more than a thousand points... I only used the word 'is' once in the entire thing... and it's already getting up there in word count. a lot of points came from the words 'with' and 'not' on the female side, 'the' on the male side.

Falling Slowly- male by less than a hundred points, big points coming from the three same words...

Of course, if the words 'he' 'his', 'him' etc. were used, then it'd be a totally different story. Then they would probably both be male by huge margins... but then that's probably true for a lot of y'all.

~Mikie

Well this is interesting.. lol. So I had to go through and do mostly everything I've wrote.

"Shadows" - Male :huh: Bah.. It was a close margin at least.

"Conflicts" - Male... :blink:

"Are You Christian" - Female! :wub:

"Good Guys Finish Last" - Female! :wub:

"He Got To Me" - Female! :wub:

"Roommates" - Female! :wub:

"Something Unexpected" - Female! :wub:

"Finding Alex" - Female! :wub:

Hmm.. Steph we may need to re-write the two newer stories... I have to un-male them, can't have that at all... shew.

Alpha and Omega Ch 1 - Male

Sangharsha III - Male

Satyamev Jayate - Male

Dr. Ditch - Male

Possessed - Male

Spikers Ch 3 - Male (A close tie)

A Kiss Will Set You Free Prologue - Female

Arranged - Female

Man's Best Friend - Female (A Close tie)

Sangharsha I - Female

Sangharsha II - Female

Out of 11 stories, 6 are male and 5 are female. I guess I am a pretty balanced out guy, (gal?) ain't I? :lol:

I think that further proves that I am bisexual. "funy:

BeaStKid :devil:

What I consider interesting is that "she" and "hers" are key words for female but "he" and "his" are not keywords for male. I can understand that if the focus is simply on the fact that females will be more concerned with gender and other such relationships, but I think it's a bit skewed for gay males. I use female pronouns every now and then, but obviously I'm going to use a whole lot more male pronouns. So I think male pronouns ought to appear somewhere, even if it's on the female side.

That's because women write about men about as often as men write about women, while men don't tend to write about women a lot. :P I thought it was interesting (and possibly accurate) that 'we' was on the women's list while 'are,' 'the,' and 'a' were on the men's list, as well as 'above' and 'below'. Do men describe locations more often? And write about objects to a greater extent?

Hmm.. Steph we may need to re-write the two newer stories... I have to un-male them, can't have that at all... shew.

Haha both of mine were female, The Caf

....I wonder if I just gave you spoilers :lol:

Not unless someone's really good at filling in the blanks.

I tried it. I suppose I shouldn't have put all of 'Mind Over Matter' in there at once. It was not happy. Nevertheless, it said it was written by a female. The score difference was less than 1,000.

On a whim I entered a few others. I don't have titles for them yet (except for the anthology entry but I'm not giving that away), so I'll just number them.

1) male

2) male

3) female - this one's my anthology entry. Interesting.

4) female - this one is the next one I'm posting. Hmm...

5) male

I'm going to try entering a few more. The ones that say 'female' don't have a wide margin but the ones that say 'male' do.

Great toy!