To all text boys - spell out the sex

• Site Administrator

The Sydney Morning Herald has a section called The Heckler, where they invite readers to write in about something that makes their blood boil. They are often very humorous (I think they only pick the amusing ones).

Today's is To all text boys - spell out the sex

I thought it was worthy of being linked here :)

Urrrggggg! I hate chat-speak. Good chat/texters can blurt out a whole conversation while I painfully type out a few properly spelled and punctuated words.

B) .....Hurray!! I'm not alone!! I hate trying to type 'proper' and the gist of the conversation is gone before I can reply by the "ru ln *****' replies.

I try to write most words out actually, while chatting or texting :P I guess I'm one of the few "youngsters" who doesn't use acronyms :P

I do use a lot of emoticons, because that way you can easily make sure to the other person you're joking or something...

What I do like to do sometimes is to type the dialect word, which I think is very funny because you have to speak it aloud before you know what it means :P I'm a tease like that sometimes... 0:)

Emotes don't bug me.

Any conversation that takes place by text messaging over the phone will quickly annoy me.

You have a phone. I have a phone. After initial text indicating you would like to talk, its time to actually call me if I'm available.

• Site Moderator
Urrrggggg! I hate chat-speak. Good chat/texters can blurt out a whole conversation while I painfully type out a few properly spelled and punctuated words.

B) .....Hurray!! I'm not alone!! I hate trying to type 'proper' and the gist of the conversation is gone before I can reply by the "ru ln *****' replies.

No, you're not alone. Most of the people I chat with, spell 99% of it out. We do use some, usually near the end. I do know one person that can type so fast and clearly, that it's hard to keep up with him some times.

• 2 weeks later...

I purposely bought a phone with full QWERTY keyboard so I can fully spell out words (with apostrophes, commas, and periods) while texting. I gave up on acronyms a long time ago. I will never buy another non-QWERTY phone ever again.

tbh Im rly bad 4 tlkin in txt spk wen usin the mobby.

bt its cos im usualy busy ttm @ the tym n cba ttm wiv grammar wen ur on the go init.

HAHA I'm fairly sure that'll annoy one or two people... eep!

but seriously when it comes to my mobile, I do text in text speak... because it's text speak and I'm texting...

ok! so that made more sense in my head... but just say you're in a lecture... you're taking notes, whilst listening to the lecturer AND texting at the same time... it's just easier... and I suck at texting with my left hand.

Granted when people start to type or write (especially write) in slang or text speak it annoys me... I feel like they're smearing crap all over the english language... but that's just my personal opinion :P

tbh Im rly bad 4 tlkin in txt spk wen usin the mobby.

bt its cos im usualy busy ttm @ the tym n cba ttm wiv grammar wen ur on the go init.

HAHA I'm fairly sure that'll annoy one or two people... eep!

but seriously when it comes to my mobile, I do text in text speak... because it's text speak and I'm texting...

ok! so that made more sense in my head... but just say you're in a lecture... you're taking notes, whilst listening to the lecturer AND texting at the same time... it's just easier... and I suck at texting with my left hand.

Granted when people start to type or write (especially write) in slang or text speak it annoys me... I feel like they're smearing crap all over the english language... but that's just my personal opinion :P

I agree with you. I send and receive a lot of texts, and by using 'text speak' I can fit more into the message, and by doing so, only having to use up, say, one message instead of two. I probably send about 50 texts a day, so it all adds up. However, if I am texting somebody like my dad (which is very rare as he only knows how to read the text, not reply), to let him know I have got somewhere ok, and will ring him later, I would never use text speak as he wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about!!

Also, when posting on forums or sending emails, I would never use text speak. I think it's very lazy and there's no need for it.

Sarah

I've noticed that a lot of people use unusual ones and expect everyone else to know what they mean. I really do prefer typing out most stuff, but even I am guilty of using "lol", "brb", "ttyl", and "lmao" way too much. Those are my four main ones. :P

Edited by Tiger
I've noticed that a lot of people use unusual ones and expect everyone else to know what they mean. I really do prefer typing out most stuff, but even I am guilty of using "lol", "brb", "ttyl", and "lmao" way too much. Those are my four main ones. :P

Yes, I use some of those. Although I would only text them to people I know who would understand them.

• Site Administrator
I purposely bought a phone with full QWERTY keyboard so I can fully spell out words (with apostrophes, commas, and periods) while texting. I gave up on acronyms a long time ago. I will never buy another non-QWERTY phone ever again.

I have something even better on my phone. My phone has a microphone and I only have to speak what I want to tell the other person. I don't have to spell anything....

I have something even better on my phone. My phone has a microphone and I only have to speak what I want to tell the other person. I don't have to spell anything....

Cool :) I wish my phone did that...

With my phone, it doesn't have a qwerty keyboard anymore (cus it accidently broke 0:) ) and I switched over to a camera phone with T9 speling. While i love the camera part of it, I hate the keypad cus it takes forever to type out a message even with T9... so, until I get a new phone perferably an iPhone, i'll be using acronyms and chatspeak until someone tells me to stuff it :)

Cool :) I wish my phone did that...

With my phone, it doesn't have a qwerty keyboard anymore (cus it accidently broke 0:) ) and I switched over to a camera phone with T9 speling. While i love the camera part of it, I hate the keypad cus it takes forever to type out a message even with T9... so, until I get a new phone perferably an iPhone, i'll be using acronyms and chatspeak until someone tells me to stuff it :)

Ew gross... an iPhone... get an LG Dare or LG Voyager... LEAGUES better than the iPhone, and on a real network.

Edited by rknapp