[J. Ross] In Due Time

This is a really great story so far!

I have to say, I was hooked right from the get-go. So many authors start with the boring introductory stuff, or, worse, with the "hi my name is ___ and this is my physical description and my entire background and family history for three generations", but you have mastered the important lesson of starting your story right in the middle of the action... literally.

The first little bit reminded me a little of Dom Luka's "The Ordinary Us", at least, in the way the character spoke, but less angsty, of course. I like the narrative voice you've given Jake; he's refreshingly honest in a very self-aware kind of way and, at the same time, endearingly vulnerable. And Caydence and Shane are both great characters, in that "I want to know more" kind of way.

Keep it coming!

This is a really great story so far!

I have to say, I was hooked right from the get-go. So many authors start with the boring introductory stuff, or, worse, with the "hi my name is ___ and this is my physical description and my entire background and family history for three generations", but you have mastered the important lesson of starting your story right in the middle of the action... literally.

I was actually worried about the description. I prefer to show bits and pieces as the story progresses, but I wasn't sure it would be enough. So thank you.

The first little bit reminded me a little of Dom Luka's "The Ordinary Us", at least, in the way the character spoke, but less angsty, of course. I like the narrative voice you've given Jake; he's refreshingly honest in a very self-aware kind of way and, at the same time, endearingly vulnerable. And Caydence and Shane are both great characters, in that "I want to know more" kind of way.

Well, thank you! More are liking Caydence than I expected.

More to come soon! I'm glad you're enjoying this.

I was actually worried about the description. I prefer to show bits and pieces as the story progresses, but I wasn't sure it would be enough. So thank you.

Your style of writing is great. Showing bits and pieces at a time is the new trend, or at least a more interesting way of doing things. Tease the readers, make them come back for more. LOL. It really works. I'm thoroughly enjoying this story. I can't wait for more updates!

Since Dialogue is my favorite thing in reading a fiction, I really love this story.

Seeing them together feels like watching an exciting ping pong game.

Just keep up this awesome work, and update as soon as possible.

Your style of writing is great. Showing bits and pieces at a time is the new trend, or at least a more interesting way of doing things. Tease the readers, make them come back for more. LOL. It really works. I'm thoroughly enjoying this story. I can't wait for more updates!

Thank you! Descriptive prose was never my strong suit. There will be more soon. Hopefully. o_0

Since Dialogue is my favorite thing in reading a fiction, I really love this story.

This is good. Dialogue, I can do. Lol.

Seeing them together feels like watching an exciting ping pong game.

Banter!! It's love. I was kind of going for that in certain parts! *skips* Will update soon. Thanks for reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved chapter 3. Loved it. Loved it. It was note-perfect. I kept hoping as I read it that the delicate pacing and the balance you'd struck in the first two chapters would continue, and they did. I like how you're building things slowly, letting the characters develop and letting things flow, while still keeping the story moving and engrossing at every turn. This is a very difficult thing to get right. I'm impressed.

It seems to me that the reason Jake feels that Shane can "see through him" is that Shane probably sees a lot of himself in Jake. Or maybe a lot of his former self. Shane obviously knows where Jake's "at", what he's going through; he had him pegged in about ten seconds flat. And Shane has made the decision, it seems, to give Jake all the time and space he needs to figure things out. He's not going to throw facts in Jake's face that Jake isn't ready to deal with, yet. He's just going to wait. I like Shane a lot for this, even if I think Jake is being kinda dense at times. I mean, Shane has come out - and come on - to Jake ten ways from Sunday, but Jake is deliberately ignoring every single one of Shane's hints. But hey, there's nothing like denial to make a person a bit thick, right?

I also love the way you write the friendship between Ry, Chloe and Jake. These three have a long history and they know each other so well. It's so understated, all the dynamic between them. Ry and Jake have this great friendship, where they'll tease each other mercilessly about the small stuff, but they'll give one another an "out" when it comes to the big stuff. Like Jake knowing how to change the subject away from Ry's crying. Or Ry changing the subject away from Shane or from Jake's lack of experience dating women. I think Ry knows a lot more about Jake than Jake is willing to admit; he's just too cool to say anything. As for Chloe, the deliberately understated way that you write about her feelings for Ry - the way she "plays it cool" when he talks about other girls, the way she gets flustered when he flirts with her even a little - rings true, too. High school guys are so clueless about girls, sometimes!

In my last comment I compared this to DomLuka's TOU. This may be sacrilege, but I can now say I think I'm enjoying this even more. Well, okay, they're different stories, so maybe that's not fair. But the main difference is, you've managed to create a main character who I don't want to throttle or whack upside the head with a 2x4. Jake is confused, and struggling with his feelings, but he's not being a total self-absorbed ass about it either. I actually like Jake. He's got an offbeat sense of humour, he's loyal as a friend, and he has a good sense about people who aren't himself.

So you've left us with a bit of a cliffhanger, but the way you write the friendship between Jake and Ry, I like to think that it will be okay. Eventually.

Keep it up; this story is fantastic!

B) ............Great story, love the pace and characters. Poor Jake, not even realizing his true feelings until he met Shane. I am surprised the rumors about Shane have never floated back him though, it is after all High School. Looking forward to reading more, very well written.

When I first started reading "In Due Time," I was captivated by the dialog and the character development. You made me feel like I knew the main characters and that I was in Jake's mind. The only nitpick I'd throw out to you is that it seems eerily similar to The Ordinary Us, but I think we all need to cut you some slack on that and see where you take things.

I'll make a prediction here. With a good editor, we'll see you as a promising, if not hosted author within six months.

Hey,

I'm really really liking this. Good work!

Great, rounded characters so far. I love the supporting characters, and I'm super fond of Shane already. And Jacob seems like a really sweet main character. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. Thanks for the update!

Hey,

I'm really really liking this. Good work!

Great, rounded characters so far. I love the supporting characters, and I'm super fond of Shane already. And Jacob seems like a really sweet main character. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. Thanks for the update!

Hey back, Julian! I think my favorite characters in this...it's actually a toss up between Caydence and Colin. *shrug* But I love them all and I'm glad you're enjoying a few of them as well. Thanks for reading!!!

When I first started reading "In Due Time," I was captivated by the dialog and the character development. You made me feel like I knew the main characters and that I was in Jake's mind. The only nitpick I'd throw out to you is that it seems eerily similar to The Ordinary Us, but I think we all need to cut you some slack on that and see where you take things.

I'll make a prediction here. With a good editor, we'll see you as a promising, if not hosted author within six months.

Color me complimented...I think that's orange. I would have sworn on my life that I overdid dialogue and that character development was my weakest suit (followed closely by descriptive prose). It's thrilling to hear that you were captivated by my lack of talent with them. And i think that the reason I chose to write this in the first person was to try and get anyone who read it to feel like they 'knew' Jake, so thank you so much!! I actually do have a couple editors...they're just not editing this, but someone has volunteered to help me out and I'm definitely grateful. Spell check is a great tool, but it doesn't really help when my spelling mistakes a few and far between and I fail miserably at editing my own stuff.

When I first started writing this I had a very clear picture in my head of what would happen and where it would go. I'm three chapters in and I have NO effin clue anymore. This story is going places I never planned. You're not the first that's mentioned that this story is reminiscent of TOU and I'm not really sure yet how to feel about that. I hope that this story takes a different route and I hope it ends up being unique, but it almost feels like I don't get to control where it goes. I do, to a certain extent, but if I try to force it in a certain direction, the characters look at me, laugh and ask 'you want me to do WHAT?'. So, I'm waiting with y'all to see where I take things, but, as much as I like Dom's writing (DD, in particular), I really hope, with respect, that this story is nothing like any of his. I definitely don't mind the nitpicking, btw. Nitpicking helps. So, thank you.

So, here's to hoping. Lol. But I'm glad you like it and I'm thrilled you're reading! Thanks so much.

...Great story, love the pace and characters. Poor Jake, not even realizing his true feelings until he met Shane. I am surprised the rumors about Shane have never floated back him though, it is after all High School. Looking forward to reading more, very well written.

Well, Jake's clueless *smacks him* But I love him still. I think the pace of this is something that still really worries me. I try not to think about it and just let it flow. I'm so glad it's working for you.

Loved chapter 3. Loved it. Loved it. It was note-perfect. I kept hoping as I read it that the delicate pacing and the balance you'd struck in the first two chapters would continue, and they did. I like how you're building things slowly, letting the characters develop and letting things flow, while still keeping the story moving and engrossing at every turn. This is a very difficult thing to get right. I'm impressed.

The pacing is working! Yayness. I would have said that this was taking forever. I hope you're still satisfied, next chapter around.

I like Shane a lot for this, even if I think Jake is being kinda dense at times. I mean, Shane has come out - and come on - to Jake ten ways from Sunday, but Jake is deliberately ignoring every single one of Shane's hints. But hey, there's nothing like denial to make a person a bit thick, right?

Lol, I loved your...commentary, I guess you could call it. Made me smile. And *cuddles* Jake. He knows he's slow...he's got issues.

I also love the way you write the friendship between Ry, Chloe and Jake. These three have a long history and they know each other so well. It's so understated, all the dynamic between them. Ry and Jake have this great friendship, where they'll tease each other mercilessly about the small stuff, but they'll give one another an "out" when it comes to the big stuff. Like Jake knowing how to change the subject away from Ry's crying. Or Ry changing the subject away from Shane or from Jake's lack of experience dating women. I think Ry knows a lot more about Jake than Jake is willing to admit; he's just too cool to say anything. As for Chloe, the deliberately understated way that you write about her feelings for Ry - the way she "plays it cool" when he talks about other girls, the way she gets flustered when he flirts with her even a little - rings true, too. High school guys are so clueless about girls, sometimes!

Understated is kind of what I was going for. And kudos, I really didn't think many would catch that Ry knows Jake just as well as Jake knows Ry, and so would also know when it was time for a subject change. I think this was my favorite scene to write this chapter and I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

In my last comment I compared this to DomLuka's TOU. This may be sacrilege, but I can now say I think I'm enjoying this even more. Well, okay, they're different stories, so maybe that's not fair. But the main difference is, you've managed to create a main character who I don't want to throttle or whack upside the head with a 2x4. Jake is confused, and struggling with his feelings, but he's not being a total self-absorbed ass about it either. I actually like Jake. He's got an offbeat sense of humour, he's loyal as a friend.

While the similarities to tou weren't intentional, THIS was what I was going for. I wanted to write a confused character, struggling inwardly, still figuring out who he is, and not just when it comes to his sexuality. I wanted to write a character that was believeable and flawed and overly dramatic like a lot of us are in high school, when it seems like the smallest of things are going to end the world. I guess I wanted to write you typical coming out, growing up *insert more cliche's here* story, in my own way and I'd hoped that it could entertain a few people along the way...hopefully I can accomplish a few of these things...

and he's has a good sense about people who aren't himself.

LMFAO, yeah, most definitely. People who aren't himself. Poor thing. It's not really a horrible cliffhanger, though, right? I thought it was kind of an obvious way to go. But, I hope to get the next part up fairly soon, so you shouldn't have to wait long. Thanks so much for the comment. And for reading. *does happy dance*

More soon! Thanks to all that read, I hope you enjoy what's to come.

My earlier comments on the first two chapters are in the e-Fiction reviews section, along with my rating. The story has been added as one of my favorites.

I echo one of the earlier comments - If this story is any indication, I think you'll be added as a promising author in the not too distant future. Although the main character's vacillating between admitting and not admitting he's really gay is somewhat jarring, this is otherwise an excellent story. Many of us are confused at that age, but it's more of a, "could I maybe be gay?" sort of thing. Trying to be straight, however - that I can believe, and the dichotomy between wanting Shawn as just a friend and as so much more seems so real that I can easily forgive the imperfections.

Ah, the ending. Ryan and Shawn must never meet, but no one ever told Ry he was really grounded. What a wonderful setup for chapter 4 - I can't wait! :funny:

I was hooked by chapter 2 - and chapter 3 has me begging for more. As I said in my review, Jake's Social Ineptness is so spot on. (I Soooo recognize my self at 16, 17 & 18).

Well here's hoping Chloe get's Ry. The subtlety with which the Chloe & Ry thing was introduced is outstanding. We already know Jake gets someone -we're all hoping it's Shane.

You've got us caring about these people - that's the only mark of success you need.

Writing of this quality is why I'm here at GA.

My earlier comments on the first two chapters are in the e-Fiction reviews section, along with my rating. The story has been added as one of my favorites.

I echo one of the earlier comments - If this story is any indication, I think you'll be added as a promising author in the not too distant future. Although the main character's vacillating between admitting and not admitting he's really gay is somewhat jarring, this is otherwise an excellent story. Many of us are confused at that age, but it's more of a, "could I maybe be gay?" sort of thing. Trying to be straight, however - that I can believe, and the dichotomy between wanting Shawn as just a friend and as so much more seems so real that I can easily forgive the imperfections.

Ah, the ending. Ryan and Shawn must never meet, but no one ever told Ry he was really grounded. What a wonderful setup for chapter 4 - I can't wait! :funny:

Chapter four, coming as soon as I can get it out. Work is kind of killing me right now, but it's coming. Thanks for reading and your comments make me want to learn to do cartwheels.

I was hooked by chapter 2 - and chapter 3 has me begging for more. As I said in my review, Jake's Social Ineptness is so spot on. (I Soooo recognize my self at 16, 17 & 18).

Well here's hoping Chloe get's Ry. The subtlety with which the Chloe & Ry thing was introduced is outstanding. We already know Jake gets someone -we're all hoping it's Shane.

You've got us caring about these people - that's the only mark of success you need.

Writing of this quality is why I'm here at GA.

I think that's one of the lovliest comments, for me, to hear; that the character's are relatable. And it's equally thrilling to hear that you care about them. Chloe and Ry kind of happened on accident, but I'm happy to hear that it works.

At this point, I'm pulling for Shane as well, but I can never be sure how this is going to turn out. *headdesk*

Thanks for reading!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I just wanted to say that I've started reading this story. From the first chapter (fixing to start reading chapter 2 as soon as I stop gloating on chapter one), I like the characterization and the set-up of the story. The inner voice of the primary character is human so that the story flowed without giving away too much of the plot, but added a lot to what drove the story as I read it. As of right now, you've set up a strong self-growth, coming of age story, which I enjoy reading as they span a whole lot of levels of emotions and realizations.

So, now I'm off to chapter 2. Good job so far. :)

Krista

Great story! I have really enjoyed it so far! I like the interactions between the characters and I also really like the development. Everything has been great building up to that almost... well I won't spoil it for others here!

So it seems to me that Shane definitely knows about Jake? Like when he says "I know you don't," he kind of acknowledges he knows that Jake is confused. And then when he apologizes it's like he's apologizing for taking that step too quickly. It's going to get really interesting now since both of them are certain of the other's orientation. Is Jake going to get over his fears? Will Shane try to help? Now I really can't wait for the next chapter!

Aww, I just stayed up and read all four chapters.. and I know I shouldn't have since I'll now be skipping my classes... well I 'also' have a minor stomach ick to continue sleeping through...

But! This story is well developed so far, like others have said. And, I really do like the different characters and the way Jake interacts with each one of them. The inner thinking/talking is done differently, I think, than most other authors do it, and for me that's refreshing to read (or I could just be needing to read more), but I've thoroughly enjoyed getting the reactions from Jake about what he says or how he reacts to others - it's comical at times, and so dramatic other times. It really adds to the "flavor" of Jake.

Anyway, I like how you ended this chapter - even if the romantic in me is SCREAMING out against it. B)

You're also getting into the cliffhanger mix... tsk tsk tsk..

Krista

So far, chapter 4 is my favorite. I just love the dynamics among the characters, and Jake's confusion is priceless. It's getting harder and harder to deny who he is, and yet we know from that very first scene in chapter 1 that he's going to keep right on denying it, even as he falls deeper and deeper into Shane's spell. I love it.

Keep up the great writing. The fact that you've attracted some top authors should tell you something. An active following and a complete story or a several good short stories are generally enough to get a promotion to Promising Author, but advancement to Hosted Author takes a strong commitment to GA, a lot of good quality writing, participation in the forums and a steady readership. Although it's an unwritten rule, there's a definite preference given to those who publish exclusively at GA, which I found out the hard way. In any case, you have talent, you have a great story going and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more. :2thumbs:

So far, chapter 4 is my favorite. I just love the dynamics among the characters, and Jake's confusion is priceless. It's getting harder and harder to deny who he is, and yet we know from that very first scene in chapter 1 that he's going to keep right on denying it, even as he falls deeper and deeper into Shane's spell. I love it.

Keep up the great writing. The fact that you've attracted some top authors should tell you something. An active following and a complete story or a several good short stories are generally enough to get a promotion to Promising Author, but advancement to Hosted Author takes a strong commitment to GA, a lot of good quality writing, participation in the forums and a steady readership. Although it's an unwritten rule, there's a definite preference given to those who publish exclusively at GA, which I found out the hard way. In any case, you have talent, you have a great story going and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more. :2thumbs:

B) ..............Hey Libby, I got to agree with Altimexus here. Poor Jake is in sooooo much denial and his best friend has figured it all out. Suddenly Shane becomes the victim in this drama, where will Cloe come in to play? Jake's father seems to have put forth a a peace offering, leaving the only one in this saga confused is Jake. Jake is the piece of the puzzle that refuse's to be put in place. Great story, can't wait for more!

B) ..............Hey Libby, I got to agree with Altimexus here. Poor Jake is in sooooo much denial and his best friend has figured it all out. Suddenly Shane becomes the victim in this drama, where will Cloe come in to play? Jake's father seems to have put forth a a peace offering, leaving the only one in this saga confused is Jake. Jake is the piece of the puzzle that refuse's to be put in place. Great story, can't wait for more!

I have to agree that this is a great story. Very entertaining, with something deeper going on. I love Jake and his confused, in denial state. It's very real, the way he so genuninely misses out on what he is trying to tell himself...like when he was jealous of Ryan and Shane talking amicably together, he was denying his jealousy! lol.

This chapter I got annoyed with Jake and Ryan because Ryan refused to give anything up, and Jake just couldn't figure a damn thing on his own. Now, did Ryan have it really figured out, or are us readers just "reading" too much into it. It sure sounds like he knows, or at least suspects Jake is gay. Is Ryan trying to tell Jake that he's ok with the gay thing...by saying "You're a good guy." I'm a little confused here.

Jake is definitely the last piece of the puzzle and I wonder if he will ever be "put in place." I gather that something will happen much later on to make him realize and we'll see what happens. Will the shit hit the fan? Or maybe something good?

Can't wait for more!

Funny, I was just thinking about your story yesterday, wondering if Chapter 4 would be along anytime soon, and - lo and behold - here it is. Another great chapter. Thank you - and keep it up!

It's shocking (in the good way) and flattering that you would be thinking about it. *blush* Thank you for reading it!

The inner voice of the primary character is human so that the story flowed without giving away too much of the plot, but added a lot to what drove the story as I read it. As of right now, you've set up a strong self-growth, coming of age story, which I enjoy reading as they span a whole lot of levels of emotions and realizations.

*grinning madly* That is, of course, what I wanted this to be. Just a coming of age story with all of the overdramatic emotions and realizations and lessons learned. And maybe I'll say something that's actually worth while before this is over. Lol. I wanted to write the kind of story that I enjoy reading. One with real 'human' characters who make mistakes and piss you off every now and then. Smart, witty, characters that have fears and issues that real people can relate to. If I've accomplished any of that even for one person, I'll dance naked in the streets.

So it seems to me that Shane definitely knows about Jake? Like when he says "I know you don't," he kind of acknowledges he knows that Jake is confused. And then when he apologizes it's like he's apologizing for taking that step too quickly. It's going to get really interesting now since both of them are certain of the other's orientation. Is Jake going to get over his fears? Will Shane try to help? Now I really can't wait for the next chapter!

Nah, Shane doesn't KNOW, that's all guess work. *wink* He might. It's possible. I mean, Jake's just so great at keeping his emotions under lock and key, there's no way Shane could know for sure. Lol. I couldn't answer any of the other questions, but this one I can answer because I was just terribly obvious when writing this last chapter and I don't think it'll effect the story for you or give anything away*headdesk* Shane suspected. But unlike Jake, he didn't have a best friend around to confirm his suspicions. All Caydence would say was that she wondered whether or not she should start putting her car keys in the freezer with her moms mad money and that Jake's hair reminds her of porcupines. Or something.

but I've thoroughly enjoyed getting the reactions from Jake about what he says or how he reacts to others - it's comical at times, and so dramatic other times. It really adds to the "flavor" of Jake.

Anyway, I like how you ended this chapter - even if the romantic in me is SCREAMING out against it. B)

You're also getting into the cliffhanger mix... tsk tsk tsk..

Lol, I think that the way Jake reacts to things comes from the "omg, did I just say that" awkward, doesn't know the 'right' thing to say thing, that I think many have/had. I have a love/hate relationship with Jake. *cuddles* It's always one step forward, two steps back with this kid. I feel I'll never understand him. I actually liked the end of this chapter in ways. If only because the run on sentences that everyone's been good about letting me get away with got even worse and instead of sounding bad, it felt frantic in away, for me. I liked writing it. And I'm totally giddy you did too.

Cliffhanger's are the bane of my existence. Or something. I SO did NOT write one. *runs away*

Oh! I've been following this over on LJ. What a pleasure to see it posted here! :D It's a wonderful story, and each subsequent chapter is a treat. Keep up the great work!

Lmfao. I think I recced and wrote a review on your fic for Worldcup...not in my writing journal where this is posted, but in my other one. Lol. Yours, one called Riptide, and a few others. I would have sworn I left a comment on that entry...ahem, anyway, Thanks for reading and I'm glad you're liking it so far. Will definitely keep it up, writing is my only fun these days.

I love that you love it. And I think chapter four is my favorite too, if only because I think it was finally possible for something to happen. I had a blast writing it when I wasn't busy ripping out my hair. At this rate, I'll be bald before I'm thirty but it'll be worth it.

So, it appears I've exceeded some kind of posting limit. Had to cut this in two. Obviously, I need to cut down on the verbosity...0_o

Haha, I talk to much...you may have noticed^^ Lol. If I participated in the forums here too often, I might scare a few away...0_o And before I found ga, I posted exclusively at LJ (all the rest of my stuff is there) and I'm just now branching out. So, uhm...maybe I'm doomed, or something? But I am strongly commited to my writing and I'm always doing that at least. I actually have a couple other stories 'in progress' right now, and actual edited COMPLETED stories, but I don't want to post them until this one is completed. I'm always reading, as well, however, I'm terrible at the 'reviewing' bit. I'm wordy and always assume no one wants to hear me go on for three hundred words that could be summed up with 'wow' *headdesk* I do tend to carry on...and on. But I am flattered that any of you all that keep coming back...keep coming back. It's encouraging and those of you that do offer advice and concrit and such...it really does help much more than I think you could imagine. I haven't an editor to my name, but those comments help me learn and grow, even the smaller ones. So, thank you.

Chloe has been busy with her mom. I don't think it gives away too much to say that chapter five starts in her house...and Ryan doesn't know about Jake...neither does Gerald (Jakes dad). I meant to make it seem that way, only because that's kind of how it seems to Jake, but no, Ry's just overprotected and Gerald (I can't remember whether his name's made it into the story yet) is just a dad that's proud of his son, with a wife that's worried about said son. You are completely right, though, about Jake being that one piece of the puzzle that refuses to cooperate...thanks for reading!!

I have to agree that this is a great story. Very entertaining, with something deeper going on.

Oh, yay. I believe it's time to go dance naked in the streets....

This chapter I got annoyed with Jake and Ryan because Ryan refused to give anything up, and Jake just couldn't figure a damn thing on his own. Now, did Ryan have it really figured out, or are us readers just "reading" too much into it. It sure sounds like he knows, or at least suspects Jake is gay. Is Ryan trying to tell Jake that he's ok with the gay thing...by saying "You're a good guy." I'm a little confused here.

Quoting from my reply above to Benji: I don't think it gives away too much to say that chapter five starts in her house...and Ryan doesn't know about Jake...neither does Gerald (Jakes dad). I meant to make it seem that way, only because that's kind of how it seems to Jake.

Ry has other reasons, I think. It's also possible that I'm crazy and I was just blithering aimlessly when I wrote that. Who knows. Lol.

Will the shit hit the fan? Or maybe something good?

Can't wait for more!

Or maybe both. *wink*

More soon. Hopefully sooner than this one came...

Thank you all for reading and for taking the time out to reply!!