[J. Ross] In Due Time

Me: Mom...

Mom: What?

Me: My little sister read my journal. So *deep breath*...I smoked a cigarette last week, I stole five dollars, I've been skipping at least a class a day, and I've been totally making out with Jay whenever you're not looking.

Mom: *gasp* That's NOT healthy! Smoking will kill you, you know. And you need to get a good education.

Me: Yeah. I know. But...I'm gay.

Mom: *eyeroll* What does that have to do with you smoking and missing class. You think that gets you off the hook? You're grounded. And don't steal from me again. I brought you into this world, I'll take you out of it.

Me: You're not worried about grandchildren?

Mom:....*thinks* ...

...I need a cigarette.

I think it went well, actually.

:lol:

Your Mom sounds awesome.

Oh, and I just finished reading the latest two chapters and they made me do a little happy dance. It's so great to see Jake and Shane finally kinda-sorta-together, even despite all the complications. Oh, and evil evil cliffhanger for chapter 8.

:lol:

Your Mom sounds awesome.

Oh, and I just finished reading the latest two chapters and they made me do a little happy dance. It's so great to see Jake and Shane finally kinda-sorta-together, even despite all the complications. Oh, and evil evil cliffhanger for chapter 8.

B) ............I gotta agree, sorry I didn't respond, bu8t that was f*cking funny as hell!!!

Your coming out discussion was a lot easier than mine all those years ago...

The story is fine, I'm gonna have to go back and pick it up again...I left off at the end of Ch. 1, I think, with the bed switcheroo bit and waking up...

Agreed. It can be. For a lot of my close friends, it was terrifying. But, It seems kind of weird, me writing this. Personally, I never had a problem with my sexuality. And coming out for me was decidedly anti-climactic.

Me: Mom...

Mom: What?

Me: My little sister read my journal. So *deep breath*...I smoked a cigarette last week, I stole five dollars, I've been skipping at least a class a day, and I've been totally making out with Jay whenever you're not looking.

Mom: *gasp* That's NOT healthy! Smoking will kill you, you know. And you need to get a good education.

Me: Yeah. I know. But...I'm gay.

Mom: *eyeroll* What does that have to do with you smoking and missing class. You think that gets you off the hook? You're grounded. And don't steal from me again. I brought you into this world, I'll take you out of it.

Me: You're not worried about grandchildren?

Mom:....*thinks* ...

...I need a cigarette.

I think it went well, actually.

LOL, If only Jake were quick enough to actually think of that...

They've slept together before. And Ryan obviously felt comfortable hopping into bed. I'm pretty sure he'd have been fine with an arm thrown around him (and I think it's mentioned somewhere in the story that there was a little cuddling for comfort at one point). I'd say it was the stroking and whatnot that's throwing poor Ry. Thanks so much for reading, and for taking the time out to comment here.

Thanks for your response.

I was lol so hard.

I wondered how many times you got your mom to get a smoke?

If you keep upping the challenge then I going to worry about either your mom health or her sanity?

Back to Ry. Maybe jacob could convince Ry that he was just trying to wake him up. and if Ry can take that excuse "I was only giving you a massage ... cause I notice you were tense all week about me ... maybe if want me to jack you off ... you be less tense when we talk"

then I though about your mom "...I need a cigarette." :lol:

Well, either way, Jake is in a real fix here.

He could tell the truth and say "I'm gay and I'm seeing Shane and he was here when I fell asleep and I thought you were him", but I don't think he has the courage to do that just yet. And even if Ry would react not too badly to that admission under normal circumstances, it's likely he wouldn't react too well right at this particular moment to that admission, given the situation.

He could cover and say something like "I thought you were a girl in my dream" or "I thought you were Tracy". But that would invite a lot of questions about his date and his interest in girls that Jake probably doesn't want to answer, and he would have to spin a web of lies around them, and even if he claimed it was part of a dream and not a reflection of reality, I think he wouldn't be able to keep it up for too long; Ry knows Jake too well.

He could pretend to be asleep and totally unaware of his actions, but that won't fool anyone and won't buy him much time.

Whatever Jake does, he has a tricky situation now, because when Ry inevitably finds out that Jake is gay (now? later? eventually?), how will Jake convince Ry that he should be fine with him and not threatened by him because he has no interest in his straight best friend? Ry is bound to feel awkward whatever happens, which is a shame because it seems like the two of them have such a great friendship.

And then I'm forced to wonder... Is it really true that Jake has no feelings for Ry beyond friendship? I mean, I know he's obsessed with Shane right now, and Ry is straight anyway and Jake knows it... but the kind of closeness that Jake and Ry share, is it possible there's something more under the surface, at least on Jake's side? Hmmm...

Just read Chapter 8 of your story. Nice twist at the end!

Definitely one of the best reads around here! Great job, seriously. Your style of writing is very intriguing and natural. Love the conversations! And I LOVE pistachio flavoured ice, just btw.

I definitely felt the tension between Shane and Jake.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to read more!

B)...........LOL, I totally misread into that;

I think it had to do with the fact that Jake didn't lock the door;

So not only did you leave us with a cliffhanger, but you misdirected your readers!! :o ;)

Lol, nah, you didn't misread anything, I don't think. I meant for you to think it was Shane, because Jake did. He didn't know it was Ryan until the moment Ryan spoke. That was intentional so you didn't misread it. However, I did mean for it to be obvious to you all that it was Ryan he was feeling up after Jake realized it and I apparently failed in communicating that. It can be fixed if I just tweak a line, just one, but the damage is done. You've already read it so I can change what I want and it won't make a difference. I'm trying to figure out a way to make up for it in the next chapter. So, yeah, it was supposed to be misleading at first, because, since you're in Jake's mind you only know what he knows...and he didn't know it was Ryan. However, it was my fault it wasn't clear at the end that there were only two people in that room and not three, so...my apologies!

We're in jake mind he didn't know that ry would sleep next to him

Ry should have woken him up

Now I like to see jake come up with an excuse :funny:

Exactly! But in Ry's defense, he was asleep before Jake decided to feel him up. He spoke when he realized what was going on. Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to posting the next chapter, but it still needs quite a bit of work. Hope you enjoy it.

B) ...........Humm! Maybe Jake should have peaked into the face of the person he was lying with, but wait! he fell asleep with Shane? I would think that if you fell asleep in your own bed with your bf, and woke up with a body next to you you would naturally assume it was duh! Your bf, the switcheroo was not forewarned and therefore a cliffhanger with misdirection. :lol:

Yeah *blush* I just failed with the 'directing you back' part. Hopefully I can do that in the next chapter and play it off...though that probably would have worked better if I didn't just...say it. *facepalm*

I really like your style of writing, character development, and story development. I'm on Chapter 4 now, so a little behind. Typically, I like to read something after it's completed because quite often the author starts, but never ends the story. Hope you'll keep going. Any idea how many chapters this will entail? Thanks.

Thank YOU. And I generally don't like to read Works-in-Progress either because I hate the wait, but I'm glad you've started this. Hope you check it out once it's finished, if you can't bear it, believe me, I understand. Thanks so much for the kind words, as well. I generally think I suck on all levels, so it's a confidence boost whenever someone tells me I don't, Lol. As for how many chapters this will be...well, I thought it was going to be around ten, when I started off, but apparently I was wrong. I get a little carried away and what started as a fun little story turned into something else. Uhm...I'd say somewhere around twenty, but I'm probably lying. Just so you know. Lol. Thanks for reading.

I agree, you're writing a great story! I like the characters' personalities, they read as very believable, which is hard to do for most authors. Keep it up!

quick edit: you write some really killer cliffhangers haha! XD

*grin* The 'cliffhanger' thing still makes me giggle. It was an accident, I swear. Anyway, thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy what's left to come.

I've only read the first chapter of In Due Time but I wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed it and your style of writing. I look forward to reading the next 7 chapters, but am resisting reading them all at once. I'll try to parse them out to make them last. :D

I won't read any of the comments in this thread so I don't spoil the chapters I haven't read yet.

You have a lot of talent and I look forward to more!

Take Care

Ugh, talk less. It's what I need to do. Limits are definitely not for me.

He could tell the truth and say "I'm gay and I'm seeing Shane and he was here when I fell asleep and I thought you were him", but I don't think he has the courage to do that just yet. And even if Ry would react not too badly to that admission under normal circumstances, it's likely he wouldn't react too well right at this particular moment to that admission, given the situation.

*nods* I agree. Ry is a good guy...but more than that, he's a good friend. I don't think he'd have reacted too badly upon walking in on it. I did it this way instead, because, apparently, I love torturing poor little Jacob and I think this way will be harder for everyone involved. *ahem* I fail at responses. Am I supposed to discuss or should I just keep it all to myself, never reveal anything and say thanks and walk away. *sigh* Here's hoping I'm not giving anything away about future chapters, at least.

And then I'm forced to wonder... Is it really true that Jake has no feelings for Ry beyond friendship? I mean, I know he's obsessed with Shane right now, and Ry is straight anyway and Jake knows it... but the kind of closeness that Jake and Ry share, is it possible there's something more under the surface, at least on Jake's side? Hmmm...

Ha, I won't say one way or the other, but this little issue is addressed.

Just read Chapter 8 of your story. Nice twist at the end!

Definitely one of the best reads around here! Great job, seriously. Your style of writing is very intriguing and natural. Love the conversations! And I LOVE pistachio flavoured ice, just btw.

I definitely felt the tension between Shane and Jake.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to read more!

Thank you, I'm extremely complimented. Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it and I'm glad it's natural, or that it reads that way. FTR, I love pistachio flavored ice cream as well. I'm not sure where half of what I write comes from...

Progress report. The chapter needs work. The events are all there, but I'm not at all happy with the tone...the mood. *sigh* So, I'm working on it. Hopefully it'll pay off and be worth the wait when it's up. Thank you all for reading and sticking around! You're all made of ten different kinds of awesome!

</SPAN>

Not at all what I was expecting, it truly keeps getting better and better. :worship:

This is an absolutely amazing chapter. The near kiss between Jake and Ryan was perfect, and the way you captured that twilight state between sleep and wakefulness when you just cannot focus and figure out what to do was perfect. I've never seen an author really capture that state so well. The flow in this story is perfect. I've already put in a plug for you to be a Promising Author, but with this quality of writing, if you keep this up, finish this story and get another one under your belt, I would look forward to seeing you fully hosted here. IMO, you're that good.

I'm with family for the holiday weekend, so I don't have time to comment further right now - I'll try to add some more analysis later when I have a chance. Keep up the great work. Great story! :2thumbs:

Best chapter of the story so far. Hands down.

The way you use confusion and simple miscommunication as a plot device is as ingenious as any major network sitcom writer, maybe even more so. And Jake is great... Sure, he's a bit slow to catch on sometimes, and he can never quite make his mouth form the words his brain is screaming. But all of that just makes him even more endearing.

Ryan's reactions seemed very realistic. Shock, denial, irrational anger, and then a bit of a window of hope that maybe he'll figure out how to deal with it. Not too far off from how Jake dealt with it (and is still dealing with it) himself, no? (Wow, I wonder what it'll take for Jake to put that together in his mind?).

Anyway, I have to say I'm glad for Jake that Ryan knows, and that Jake is starting to realise that there is life afterwards, too. Like, maybe if he sees that he and Ryan have a chance of being okay, he can start to accept in his own mind that being gay isn't the end of the world, that the people who care about him will be able to accept it and deal with it. Then maybe he'll stop being so afraid of his relationship with Shane.

Will it happen? I can't wait to read more to find out.

I just want to echo Altimexis's comments about how good this story is, and how much I'm enjoying reading it. Your style is fresh and witty and truly quality. I'm sure we'll be seeing you as a hosted author before long, at this rate.

Reading Chap 9

Ry considering his extended family

stating that he would have a hard time to find a new brother

I hope he is not considering on deleting his current brother.

I hope he understands that family has some non negotiable factors when it comes to love.

I hope Ry chooses to not break up his extended family.

It would come to be a shock to the grownups.

I hope he comes to the understanding - love is important and his extended family is important. I hope he can deal with Jacob being gay. It would be funny if chole is gay then Ry would be face again with this issue. I hope he nicks his homophobic reaction in the butt.

There is another hidden issue - how dare adult society or religion inflict such harm on a child (under age 18) - Ry should not have to make a choice against his extended family because its not right or perfect. Its not like Jacob is a criminal.

If he where or a spy or terrorist then that can be an issue for Ry to seek help on or decide for himself.

Gosh society lacks any consideration and thats what Buddha or the dhanlee lama said when ask what the world needs.

ooooh

I thought this last chapter was fantastic! I was surprised.. I really expected Ryan to be more accepting straight off the bat and deal with it. But the detail that you went into as to WHY he really needed to maintain the friendship with Jake and also how really disgusted he is by gay people was so well done. I anticipated Ryan saying something off key by mistake or something that might upset Jake or make Jake think that Ryan wasn't entirely accepting.... but you went in the complete opposite direction and had Ryan use so much homophobic language and profanity and say things like "f**king weird" in reference to Jake expecting to wake up next to Shane... it was sooooo much more legit! This is how real kids act.

Looking forward to the next chapter!!

JD

Gosh, chapter 9 and i'm finally writing on this board....

Anywho, I love the idea that Ryan isn't that accepting right off the bat, because not everybody is - in my school, i know just who would be accepting, and who wouldn't, so that made coming out to my friends a lot easyer. (BTW my mom figured it out before i told her, and she was like ok, but keep ur options open. awkward talk.)

I like the tention, but for some reason (call me insane), i kept thinking that Ryan was going to profess his love to Jake. I don't know why - the punching at Shane...possibly. It's probably just my mind.

Also, Shane get's me everytime because his moods seem to change. One minute HAPPY! next minute ANGSTY, and then from MAD to SAD, sometimes (seemingly) all in the same chapter. BUt that's ok, because my favorite of his emotions is his TEEHEE emotion....that's what i call it at least, cause u kno, he and Jake are totally a thing now - despite Jake's I'M NOT GAY persona.

Anyways, I loved it. a lot.

and you should update it. a lot / soon.

kai

p.s. this comment/post seems very sketchy...and wierd. so if it seems weird to you, it's a tireing morning for me, so forgive me...

p.p.s. did my ps even make sence either? whatever.

Hey!

Ok so I was on the GA home page trying to find a story to occupy my time while I wait for Com's next installements when I came across your story and how chapter nine was recently posted. I clicked it and OMG! I am so glad I clicked the link!! Your story is awesome and so cute and loveable! I'm ready to tackle all your characters with hugs. I adore they way they interact and Jake is such an awkward but relatable character, he's just great! I love being in his mind and Shane is funn-ay! XD The relationships are wonderful and I can't wait to find out how things are gonna work out between Ry and Jake!! Thanks for writing this and keep up the good work :D Your Awesome!!!

sincerely,

Me

Jake has been playing his life safe. hence the "I'm not ..." But now Ry has pick up on "You are ..." and I am really hurt, upset, and confused. I wonder if Ry wonders if there is other things Jake has hidden from him. If Ry didn't know Jake then they would not be friends. But since they do know each other. It hurts a lot on the thought of breaking up his extended family.

I still wonder whats making Ry confused? It does seem that Ry is not a hugging kind of guy. In fact the non-gay characters seem to be non-hugging or social.

Funny thing, is Ry going to fester like this for most of the story. Does it take Jake getting seriously hurt to change Ry mind?

High School is almost over so Jake does not have to really worry that much of his reputation.

have to wait for the next chapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I take my last test of the semester tommorrow...so I should probably be asleep, right now, but who cares? I test well. Anyway, the point is, the next chapter should be up not long after that.

Not at all what I was expecting, it truly keeps getting better and better. :worship:

The response to this chapter wasn't at all what I expected. I was having minor panic attacks over this one. I swore up and down it was a piece of crap. But I lack that whole 'writer confidence' thing I keep hearing about. *shrug* I'm so glad you liked it and that you're still reading. It's a good shock to see that I haven't run you off yet. Lol.

This is an absolutely amazing chapter. The near kiss between Jake and Ryan was perfect, and the way you captured that twilight state between sleep and wakefulness when you just cannot focus and figure out what to do was perfect. I've never seen an author really capture that state so well. The flow in this story is perfect. I've already put in a plug for you to be a Promising Author, but with this quality of writing, if you keep this up, finish this story and get another one under your belt, I would look forward to seeing you fully hosted here. IMO, you're that good.

I'm with family for the holiday weekend, so I don't have time to comment further right now - I'll try to add some more analysis later when I have a chance. Keep up the great work. Great story! :2thumbs:

Thank you! I love it when my accidents work out for the better. Lol, I'm kidding. I think the reason I was so worried about this chapter was that I had to work so hard on it. I re-wrote it a couple times and...it didn't feel 'natural'. I was worried that it would 'read' that way. Thanks again, for reading, and letting me know what you thought. I hope you had a good holiday weekend with your family! And, happy thanks giving, weeks late. :)

Best chapter of the story so far. Hands down.

You guys make all my panicking feel so silly...and thanks for that.

The way you use confusion and simple miscommunication as a plot device is as ingenious as any major network sitcom writer, maybe even more so. And Jake is great... Sure, he's a bit slow to catch on sometimes, and he can never quite make his mouth form the words his brain is screaming. But all of that just makes him even more endearing.

Ryan's reactions seemed very realistic. Shock, denial, irrational anger, and then a bit of a window of hope that maybe he'll figure out how to deal with it. Not too far off from how Jake dealt with it (and is still dealing with it) himself, no? (Wow, I wonder what it'll take for Jake to put that together in his mind?).

Anyway, I have to say I'm glad for Jake that Ryan knows, and that Jake is starting to realise that there is life afterwards, too. Like, maybe if he sees that he and Ryan have a chance of being okay, he can start to accept in his own mind that being gay isn't the end of the world, that the people who care about him will be able to accept it and deal with it. Then maybe he'll stop being so afraid of his relationship with Shane.

I hadn't intended for Ryan to find out this early. *shrug* Whatever works, though. I was almost sure you lot would find all the miscommunication unbearable. I love being wrong. *grin* And I love how y'all seem to see so much more about this story than I do. Lol. Shock, denial, anger...I can't be sure off the top of my head, but aren't those the first few stages of 'grieving'. Lol. And Jake's slow for someone that over-thinks all the time, I'm not sure he'll ever pick up on it. *pets him*

Ry considering his extended family

stating that he would have a hard time to find a new brother

Ryan's a boy. And he's gotta work through a few things, but you shouldn't worry too much. I have faith in him.

Ry should not have to make a choice against his extended family because its not right or perfect. Its not like Jacob is a criminal.

No, he shouldn't. The whole situation does kind of suck. *hugs the boys* But, like I said, I've got faith in him. He's kind of reacting the same way Jake did (as Cynical Romantic pointed out above), which is something that happened completely on accident. We'll see. Ry's not a bad guy, though and I'm pulling for him so...Lol. I'm glad you're still here, reading and letting me know what ya think. Thanks so much!

ooooh

I thought this last chapter was fantastic! I was surprised.. I really expected Ryan to be more accepting straight off the bat and deal with it. But the detail that you went into as to WHY he really needed to maintain the friendship with Jake and also how really disgusted he is by gay people was so well done. I anticipated Ryan saying something off key by mistake or something that might upset Jake or make Jake think that Ryan wasn't entirely accepting.... but you went in the complete opposite direction and had Ryan use so much homophobic language and profanity and say things like "f**king weird" in reference to Jake expecting to wake up next to Shane... it was sooooo much more legit! This is how real kids act.

Looking forward to the next chapter!!

JD

'Lo, John. *waves* I'm glad you're reading and enjoying and thanks so much for letting me know what you think. I would have loved to have written him more accepting, but...it would have never worked if I tried. I wouldn't have been able to make it realistic, and I'm glad you think it was better this way. I can't stand reading stories with younger characters and having to step back and say...'huh? That would never happen' and I'm extremely glad that this isn't one of them. Shocked, too. I make almost all of the same mistakes that annoy the crap out of me elsewhere. *headdesk* But, ahem, yes, thank you for reading and for the lovely comment.

Gosh, chapter 9 and i'm finally writing on this board....

Yayness! I'm glad you're here.

(BTW my mom figured it out before i told her, and she was like ok, but keep ur options open. awkward talk.)

rotflmao, I bet. I had a similar conversation with my grandmother, very recently, which is weird because I've been out for ages. I think I let something slip in conversation and I got a whole awkward lecture. Lol. Very, very awkward. I would have sworn she knew. *shrug* I don't think she'll be sending over anymore food for awhile. Pity...

I like the tention, but for some reason (call me insane), i kept thinking that Ryan was going to profess his love to Jake. I don't know why - the punching at Shane...possibly. It's probably just my mind.

You're not insane. I was worried it might come across that way for some, but no. Ryan is not gay, I promise. This I can tell you without giving much away, but I would like to make it clear before I post the next chapter...I think I may have unintentionally...whatever.

Ryan Lucas is NOT gay. He's incurably straight. Poor thing...

Shane's 'Teh-heh' emotion. Lol, I love that. And I love that you loved this. Thanks so much for the wonderful review, it's got me smiling and don't worry, it makes perfect sense to me.

not much I can add, really, except to say you've nailed it

That's plenty, thank you! ^_^

Hey!

Ok so I was on the GA home page trying to find a story to occupy my time while I wait for Com's next installements when I came across your story and how chapter nine was recently posted. I clicked it and OMG! I am so glad I clicked the link!! Your story is awesome and so cute and loveable! I'm ready to tackle all your characters with hugs. I adore they way they interact and Jake is such an awkward but relatable character, he's just great! I love being in his mind and Shane is funn-ay! XD The relationships are wonderful and I can't wait to find out how things are gonna work out between Ry and Jake!! Thanks for writing this and keep up the good work :D Your Awesome!!!

sincerely,

Me

Betcha I'm MORE glad that you clicked the link...Lol. Thank you B, I'm glad you liked it. And that you liked the characters. I wouldn't have thought Shane was the funny one, but...what do I know? *shrug* More coming soon, hope you continue to enjoy it.

Jake has been playing his life safe. hence the "I'm not ..." But now Ry has pick up on "You are ..." and I am really hurt, upset, and confused.

*hugs* I feel bad...Really, you shouldn't worry TOO much...I don't think. Ryan's a good kid, but it IS confusing for him. He had NO idea and it's a pretty big deal, for him (it was a big deal for Jake) but he's been a decent guy so far, right? *hugs you* I feel so bad...

Does it take Jake getting seriously hurt to change Ry mind?

I'm trying so hard...and failing anyway...not to say much, but I WILL say, that Jake doesn't get seriously hurt. I wouldn't want Ry to come back like that.  If he comes back, wouldn't you rather it be just because he wants to. Because he's grown and he gets whats important? Thanks again, for reading. And...I'm so sorry. *hugs once more for good measure* Lol

In Due Time. Whatcha think?

I love your story i stumbled upon it when i was searching for something to pass the time, and what i found was so much more than that. Your characters are so interesting i especially love Caydence every scene she is in i end up laughing. I can't wait to see what could possibly happen next. :)

-Me

Thanks so much, Anck! I'm glad you liked it! And *dances* a Caydence lover? *skips* She so much fun to write, I wish she could be around more often. Anyway, more soon. There's just a bit left in Chapt ten that I'm having trouble finding the words for, but I hope *knocks wood* to have it finished tonight...Thanks again!

Chapter 10 was great. :worship:

Then again, I'm pissed off that I have to wait for chapter 11 for the Jake-Ryan conversation in order to get some basic resolution on their friendship. The anxiety is killing me. Even then, I have no guarantee that you'll give us any resolution whatsoever in chapter 11. :(

This was a nasty cliffhanger, plain and simple. :angry:

But I'll be there when 11 is posted, that's a given. :lol:

Conner

P.S. I believe GA allows readers to stalk authors who write nasty cliffhangers back-to-back. Just so you know. :P

Ok - Where Ry going to hide the body?

I hope Ry understands you can beat someone up to be straight. :wacko:

I think Chloe and Jake should have tied up Ry. :(

I hope Jake willed his cloths and speedo to Shane. :worship:

I hope this doesn't end like the move Shane, can u imagine Jake saying "Shane come back" :lol:

Any chance can I be reincarnated into Jake - sounds like a fun story to act in. :worship:

Chapter 10 was simply wonderful! I loved it.

Spoilers below...

My favourite part was when Shane shamelessly teased Jake with the whole "I want you... around" business. He's such a flirt. And he knows exactly the effect he's having on Jake, and he's enjoying every minute of it. Hehe. He does have admirable restraint for a 17-year-old; it was smart of him to leave when he did, but how many guys would have been able to do that? No doubt the fact that he was getting off on his gentle torture of Jake helped him be able to find the willpower. Still think he's cute.

And I liked how he called Jake out, subtly, on the "it's supposed to be fun" bit. Yeah, he's patient with Jake cause he probably knows what Jake's going through, and he's a good guy and he genuinely likes Jake and isn't just after a shag. But I think that was a bit of a subtle warning for Jake that there's only so much drama and angst that Shane can put up with before he starts to wonder if the whole thing is even worth it. Not that he'd ever give him an ultimatum, I don't think; Shane seems too nice for that. But I hope Jake gets the message anyway.

Jake is getting better at accepting himself, which is nice to see. Maybe it helps that not everyone flipped out on him. Chloe seemed pretty cool about it. Actually, Chloe reacted pretty much the way I expected Ryan to react. Maybe Ryan would have reacted better had he found out in a different way. But Ry's definitely going through all the phases now. Denial is over and he's well onto anger. Maybe tinged with a little jealousy - no, not that kind of jealousy, just the run-of-the-mill losing-my-best-friend-when-he-gets-in-a-relationship kind of jealousy. But the anger thing, well, Jake still doesn't seem to have caught on that Ry's following the same sequence as he followed himself. Classic teenage self-absorption: "Never mind that I spent forever in turmoil, I'm fine now, so I expect everyone else to immediately be fine too, and not require the adjustment period that I needed." Yeah, whatever Jake.

Yes, the next chapter should be interesting. In J.Ross's defence, however, I wouldn't say this qualifies as a cliffhanger. Just standard plot development, really. The c-word is overused around here.