[J. Ross] In Due Time

Lmfao. I think I recced and wrote a review on your fic for Worldcup...not in my writing journal where this is posted, but in my other one. Lol. Yours, one called Riptide, and a few others. I would have sworn I left a comment on that entry...ahem, anyway, Thanks for reading and I'm glad you're liking it so far. Will definitely keep it up, writing is my only fun these days.

I had no idea! It's a small world, isn't it? I was a bit overwhelmed with the reception to my WC fic, so apologies if I missed your rec. I'll thank you very much now for it. :worship:

In Due Time is shaping up beautifully, and I'm always looking for updates when I refresh my f-list. Now I know where to come to find them. :P

Now I think it's time for you to post your LJ link so we can read some of your other writing. Something to tide us addicted fans over until the next chapter, right?

Oh my, I fear you'd be severely disappointed with all the fanfic...

I had no idea! It's a small world, isn't it? I was a bit overwhelmed with the reception to my WC fic, so apologies if I missed your rec. I'll thank you very much now for it. :worship:

In Due Time is shaping up beautifully, and I'm always looking for updates when I refresh my f-list. Now I know where to come to find them. :P

Lol, no worries. It was brilliant, though and it had my head spinning for quite awhile. I love writing that makes me think and Lamp in the Cooling Room (I'm almost sure that was the title...) definitely did that. Such a refreshing original character and the song she sings adds an ominous sort of feel to the fic and I shivered everytime she sang. Cheers. You're brilliant. It's my 'rainy day' favorite. ;)

Oh goodness. I read half the chapter the other day, and just finished it. I like the difference in families, and I would like to know more about both, since we've barely had a glimpse of Jake's father, even though he's supposed to be this menacing homophobic - the first impression of his character in the scene he didn't fit the part. And, Shane's family we just met, and first impressions never really stick, but I foresee a tragedy in his family, and I'm wanting to know more about them and then hope I'm wrong. :)

Krista

Chapter 5 - great, though frustrating. Jake seems on the verge of facing his feelings, and yet he's so scared. I feel for him, and for Shane, who obviously has much more patience than most. Keep it up.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it! I'm afraid of the next chapter and...well it's written and it'll be up soon. *worries*

Oh goodness. I read half the chapter the other day, and just finished it. I like the difference in families, and I would like to know more about both, since we've barely had a glimpse of Jake's father, even though he's supposed to be this menacing homophobic - the first impression of his character in the scene he didn't fit the part. And, Shane's family we just met, and first impressions never really stick, but I foresee a tragedy in his family, and I'm wanting to know more about them and then hope I'm wrong. :)

Yay! I don't believe anyone else has mentioned much about Shane's family and there will be more from his family. More from everyone's family, this story has a ways to go yet.

I actually wrote the scene with Jake's father so that I could show readers what he was like and let them make up their own minds about him. Before then, we only saw what Jake thought of him, we never actually got to see the man. I'm so glad you're enjoying it! Thanks for reading, more to come soon.

Chapter 6 = AMAZING

I loved it! Especially the "evil cliffhanger"!

I really liked the way you showed Jake's slow realization that he couldn't fix his "problem". Very nice. The whole date with Tracy was really well written. In general, I also really like how you can keep this story fresh with a humorous tone.

Also, it was kind of between the lines but it was cool to know Ryan is aware that if he dated Chloe now, he would probably ruin it and he didn't want that to happen.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Also, it was kind of between the lines but it was cool to know Ryan is aware that if he dated Chloe now, he would probably ruin it and he didn't want that to happen.

Really? Is that how you read it? *Goes back and re-reads that portion*. Wow, I didn't think of that at all, the first time around. I guess I'd interpreted Ryan's comments as meaning that Chloe was in the "friend zone" and that he didn't and couldn't see her as anything else. Hmmm...

Really? Is that how you read it? *Goes back and re-reads that portion*. Wow, I didn't think of that at all, the first time around. I guess I'd interpreted Ryan's comments as meaning that Chloe was in the "friend zone" and that he didn't and couldn't see her as anything else. Hmmm...

I could be wrong but it was just the way Ryan snapped at Jake and then said, "None of the girls I’ve dated even speak to me anymore unless they’re telling me to f**K off." And Ryan doesn't want that with Chloe. "Chloe’s my friend. I like it that way." So he didn't want to see her as anything else but a friend right now because he doesn't want to lose the good friendship he has with Chloe. But that doesn't necessarily mean that he couldn't see her as anything else. Jake only interprets it that way.

Just my own interpretation :)

Yeah, now that I re-read it, I see that. Missed it the first time around. Very interesting observation into Ryan, in that case. Almost as though he realizes he could wind up with Chloe for real, and doesn't want to mess up his chances by letting it happen too soon.

Of course, the name of the story is "In Due Time". All along I thought that meant Jake and Seth. Maybe it also means Ryan and Chloe?

I like the parallel between the two, Ryan trying so hard to keep Chloe in the friend department and Jake attempting the same thing with Shane. Neither of them wants to admit just how important the other half of their

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, I officially declare Chapter 6 an evil cliffhanger.

I fail at cliffhangers...I never would have thought someone would say this about something I wrote...Lol. I like it, though, thanks.

I really liked the way you showed Jake's slow realization that he couldn't fix his "problem". Very nice. The whole date with Tracy was really well written. In general, I also really like how you can keep this story fresh with a humorous tone.

This most recent chapter was a bit hard to do...and I'm still not sure I won't just toss it out and rewrite it because it feels forced. Mostly because I was trying to write a serious scene and I couldn't keep away from the humor. It ended up being a weird mix of serious, self-depricating sarcasm and I'm not sure it works. But I'm glad you enjoy the humor. I would have thought that it would get tiresome and I'm glad you don't think so.

I could be wrong but it was just the way Ryan snapped at Jake and then said, "None of the girls I
  • 2 weeks later...

You think you can't write a cliffhanger? Lies! You lie and you lie, just to torture me. It was excellent. I feel for Jacob. I can't wait to see what Ryan does. I thought he'd be understand about Jake being gay but I'm not so sure, with the way it seems like he's finding out. I looke forward to more. Soon please. I have to go back home soon and I want you to know, just in case you are thinking of not keeping this going, that there is a bridge on the drive home. i don't want you to feel guilty or anything, i just thought you should know

of course, i kid, i kid.

more soon pretty please.

I fail at cliffhangers...I never would have thought someone would say this about something I wrote...Lol. I like it, though, thanks.

B) ..........Well chapter eight seems to have 'passed' as a cliffhanger!! :lol: Leaving us with Ry discovering Shane and Jake in an awkward situation in bed. <_< I'm sure Jake is about to have a heart attack. Will Ry simply leave? Or create a scene? Yep, a cliffhanger!! BTW, a great chapter!! Keep up the good work!

I like the parallel between the two, Ryan trying so hard to keep Chloe in the friend department and Jake attempting the same thing with Shane. Neither of them wants to admit just how important the other half of their 'pair' is, to themselves or anyone else.

How true!! but that's the comedy I find funny but its in counter balance with the drama - coming to terms of being gay in\out.

Coming to terms is really scary thought in that phobic place.

I certainly agree that's some cliffhanger in chapter 8.

How often you get to feel up your bro!!! hahaha

Maybe his excuse will be he was looking for his pillow to huggy

If their like bros; sleeping together and huggy should be ok? unless they never got that close in bed.

Can't be the 1950s way of sleeping

Edited by hh5

Ah! This story is getting better by the chapter! And jake is finally opening up to having a "boyfriend". Obviously there are many problems ahead though.

I was a bit confused about the end of chapter eight. Is it Ryan walking in on Jake and Shane or Jake actually feeling up Ryan? I originally thought the former but from what other people said maybe it's the latter? Which also brings up the question of why Jake couldn't tell it was Ryan and not Shane.

I too thought that Ryan walked in to discover Jake in bed with Shane, but it's just as likely that Jake accidentally felt up Ryan. I can't wait until the next chapter to find out which it is. Either way, Jake is going to have a hell of a time getting out of this one. Actually, it would be a lot easier to explain his way out of the latter - "Oops, I thought you were Chloe," or "Oops, I was still half asleep and thought you were a babe," or something like that. If it was Shane, however, and he was in bed with Shane, it's going to be hard to deny things. There could be worse things than coming out to his best friend, however, and he's already just about on the brink of going insane. :P

You think you can't write a cliffhanger? Lies! You lie and you lie, just to torture me. It was excellent. I feel for Jacob. I can't wait to see what Ryan does. I thought he'd be understand about Jake being gay but I'm not so sure, with the way it seems like he's finding out. I looke forward to more. Soon please. I have to go back home soon and I want you to know, just in case you are thinking of not keeping this going, that there is a bridge on the drive home. i don't want you to feel guilty or anything, i just thought you should know

of course, i kid, i kid.

LOL, I really didn't think I could write a cliffhanger. And this one sort of happened on accident. Hello, by the way. I'm glad you reading and even happier that you enjoying. Avoid the bridge. I've looked it up on mapquest and there are other ways for you to get home. *pets* You're comment made me grin like a mad person. Thanks so much!

B) ..........Well chapter eight seems to have 'passed' as a cliffhanger!! :lol: Leaving us with Ry discovering Shane and Jake in an awkward situation in bed. <_< I'm sure Jake is about to have a heart attack. Will Ry simply leave? Or create a scene? Yep, a cliffhanger!! BTW, a great chapter!! Keep up the good work!

Yes, I think everyone has screamed 'Cliffhanger'! at me. It makes me giddy, but I'm still not sure I did it right...0_o Actually, it was RYAN that was in bed with Jake. Shane had already left, just like he usually does. I should probably edit that to clarify...And yes, Definitely a scene of some sort. Not sure yet whether it'll be a good or bad one. Thanks for reading, I'm so glad you're still enjoying. More as soon as I can.

How true!! but that's the comedy I find funny but its in counter balance with the drama - coming to terms of being gay in\out.

Coming to terms is really scary thought in that phobic place.

Agreed. It can be. For a lot of my close friends, it was terrifying. But, It seems kind of weird, me writing this. Personally, I never had a problem with my sexuality. And coming out for me was decidedly anti-climactic.

Me: Mom...

Mom: What?

Me: My little sister read my journal. So *deep breath*...I smoked a cigarette last week, I stole five dollars, I've been skipping at least a class a day, and I've been totally making out with Jay whenever you're not looking.

Mom: *gasp* That's NOT healthy! Smoking will kill you, you know. And you need to get a good education.

Me: Yeah. I know. But...I'm gay.

Mom: *eyeroll* What does that have to do with you smoking and missing class. You think that gets you off the hook? You're grounded. And don't steal from me again. I brought you into this world, I'll take you out of it.

Me: You're not worried about grandchildren?

Mom:....*thinks* ...

...I need a cigarette.

I think it went well, actually.

Maybe his excuse will be he was looking for his pillow to huggy

LOL, If only Jake were quick enough to actually think of that...

If their like bros; sleeping together and huggy should be ok? unless they never got that close in bed.

Can't be the 1950s way of sleeping

They've slept together before. And Ryan obviously felt comfortable hopping into bed. I'm pretty sure he'd have been fine with an arm thrown around him (and I think it's mentioned somewhere in the story that there was a little cuddling for comfort at one point). I'd say it was the stroking and whatnot that's throwing poor Ry. Thanks so much for reading, and for taking the time out to comment here.

I was a bit confused about the end of chapter eight. Is it Ryan walking in on Jake and Shane or Jake actually feeling up Ryan? I originally thought the former but from what other people said maybe it's the latter? Which also brings up the question of why Jake couldn't tell it was Ryan and not Shane.

It was Ryan. Shane left while Jake was sleeping around the same time that he usually leaves. And as for why Jake couldn't tell the difference...it was dark and he was just waking up. That's his/my only excuse. I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. Thanks for reading, there will be more soon!

I too thought that Ryan walked in to discover Jake in bed with Shane, but it's just as likely that Jake accidentally felt up Ryan. I can't wait until the next chapter to find out which it is. Either way, Jake is going to have a hell of a time getting out of this one. Actually, it would be a lot easier to explain his way out of the latter - "Oops, I thought you were Chloe," or "Oops, I was still half asleep and thought you were a babe," or something like that. If it was Shane, however, and he was in bed with Shane, it's going to be hard to deny things. There could be worse things than coming out to his best friend, however, and he's already just about on the brink of going insane. :P

LOL, he went insane about two chapters ago, remember. Poor Jake. And I actually meant for it to be clear that it was Ryan in bed with him. Though, it could have been interesting to have Ry stumble in and try to get into bed to find both of them there...or whatever. It was Ryan though, and I think I may reword the end of that Chapter to make that clear. I'd meant for it to be *facepalm* Next Chapter is well on it's way. It's always the end of chapters that takes me longest. I hope to have it up soon, if work isn't too hellish. Thanks for reading!

LOL, he went insane about two chapters ago, remember. Poor Jake. And I actually meant for it to be clear that it was Ryan in bed with him. Though, it could have been interesting to have Ry stumble in and try to get into bed to find both of them there...or whatever. It was Ryan though, and I think I may reword the end of that Chapter to make that clear. I'd meant for it to be *facepalm* Next Chapter is well on it's way. It's always the end of chapters that takes me longest. I hope to have it up soon, if work isn't too hellish. Thanks for reading!

B)...........LOL, I totally misread into that;

I pulled him in closer. And then he stirred.

B)...........LOL, I totally misread into that;

I pulled him in closer. And then he stirred.

"Uhm, Jake," said a voice that was all too familiar. Which should have made me happy. But it didn't. It was familiar, but not at all what I was expecting. I pulled away and actually fell off my bed in the process.

"What the f**K are you doing?" Ry asked.

And I had nowhere to f**king run.

I think it had to do with the fact that Jake didn't lock the door;

I kissed him back with everything I had, not even bothering to go lock the door and vowed to at least have a conversation with him the next time I saw him in school.

So not only did you leave us with a cliffhanger, but you misdirected your readers!! :o ;)

I don't think he misread us

We're in jake mind he didn't know that ry would sleep next to him

Ry should have woken him up

Now I like to see jake come up with an excuse :funny:

I don't think he misread us

We're in jake mind he didn't know that ry would sleep next to him

Ry should have woken him up

Now I like to see jake come up with an excuse :funny:

B) ...........Humm! Maybe Jake should have peaked into the face of the person he was lying with, but wait! he fell asleep with Shane? I would think that if you fell asleep in your own bed with your bf, and woke up with a body next to you you would naturally assume it was duh! Your bf, the switcheroo was not forewarned and therefore a cliffhanger with misdirection. :lol:

In Due Time. Whatcha think?

I really like your style of writing, character development, and story development. I'm on Chapter 4 now, so a little behind. Typically, I like to read something after it's completed because quite often the author starts, but never ends the story. Hope you'll keep going. Any idea how many chapters this will entail? Thanks.

I agree, you're writing a great story! I like the characters' personalities, they read as very believable, which is hard to do for most authors. Keep it up!

quick edit: you write some really killer cliffhangers haha! XD

Edited by Vermillion Sun

Hi J,

I've only read the first chapter of In Due Time but I wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed it and your style of writing. I look forward to reading the next 7 chapters, but am resisting reading them all at once. I'll try to parse them out to make them last. :D

I won't read any of the comments in this thread so I don't spoil the chapters I haven't read yet.

You have a lot of talent and I look forward to more!

Take Care

Edited by NaperVic