[J. Ross] In Due Time

Chapter 10 was great. :worship:

Then again, I'm pissed off that I have to wait for chapter 11 for the Jake-Ryan conversation in order to get some basic resolution on their friendship. The anxiety is killing me. Even then, I have no guarantee that you'll give us any resolution whatsoever in chapter 11. :(

This was a nasty cliffhanger, plain and simple. :angry:

But I'll be there when 11 is posted, that's a given. :lol:

Conner

P.S. I believe GA allows readers to stalk authors who write nasty cliffhangers back-to-back. Just so you know. :P

B) .............Hahaha!! Chapter 9 was definitely a cliffhanger, chapter 10 was very very tense!! :lol: It is kinda funny the way they are both reacting, Jake finally accepting himself and Ry going thru the reverse order to achieve acceptance of his friend. Jake; I can't be gay, I don't want to be gay, G_d please fix me, OMG I'm gay!! Ry; he can't be gay, I don't want him to be gay, G_d help him not be gay, OMG, my best friend is gay!! :P

Edited by Benji
Chapter 10 was simply wonderful! I loved it.

Jake is getting better at accepting himself, which is nice to see. Maybe it helps that not everyone flipped out on him. Chloe seemed pretty cool about it. Actually, Chloe reacted pretty much the way I expected Ryan to react.

Yes, the next chapter should be interesting. In J.Ross's defence, however, I wouldn't say this qualifies as a cliffhanger. Just standard plot development, really. The c-word is overused around here.

Gasp! Gasp! :lol:

Not a cliffhanger! And you're in the "cool member" category? :blink:

That was one of the longest chapters posted so far...and we never got to Jake and Ry getting together. Anxiety = cliffhanger. Plain and simple. :P

I accept the fact that the cliffhanger is a tool used by many authors. It's only natural, I suppose. Nothing is better than a bunch of anxiety-ridden fans to ensure the next chapter will get read. B) Charles Dickens and Mark Twain started it all a long, long time ago.

I happen to be the GA resident authority on cliffhangers, so there! :D I know what anxiety is. I've got the medication to prove it, too. :wacko:

What is Jake's reaction, really? Coming out stories are always facinating especially around the "best friend" reaction.

So far. he's basically said "we're not cool", "I hate you", and "I don't know how to find another brother".

I appreciate the fact that "best friends" who are straight need time to figure out what's important to them. They need time to deal. To Ryan's benefit, he was very honest about what he was feeling about the whole issue.

On the one hand, he has a friend whom he considers a brother. On the other (or as I like to say, "In the other corner, wearing no trunks at all....") he's confronted with the fact the his best friend is gay. Very often, straight guys become very concerned about what "all this " means to them and others. Will others think that he's gay because his best buddy is gay? That's always a factor - even in this case where Ryan has been characterized as not caring what other people think. I don't care how accepting any straight guy is - this is an issue; it's an assault on their very masculinity. It's obviously clear that Ryan has little tolerance for queers. Again, it's the masculinity thing - not necessarily his fault per se, but a place that many young men get to because of what they are exposed to in our culture.

Ryan's initial reaction is that this is all about him. He hasn't taken even a second (that we know of) to consider Jake's feelings and how Jake is coping. I believe Ry's reaction is more along the lines of "How could you do this to me?"

Even Chloe's reaction is not what I had expected. She was freaked out about it. She, obviously, doesn't have to deal with the masculinity issue...but she still thinks that it's f**ked up, though. If she was truly accepting she would have shown a lot more compassion for Jake, along with a willingness to get on Ry's case about it. She simply says she's not gonna take sides. She's going to do the Switzerland thing and remain neutral. What crap!

What are your thoughts?

Conner

Wow, Conner, you're hard on your friends. Or, rather, you're hard on Jake's friends. Remind me to never, ever piss you off.

I didn't get that at all from Ry or from Chloe at all! I honestly think that Ry is just confused, probably feeling rejected because he thinks of Jake as a brother and has to deal with the fact that there's this whole side of Jake that he never shared with Ry. He's a bit in shock, but earlier in the story we saw him neatly diverting questions and teasing when Jake was feeling uncomfortable. So I think some part of him already suspected, maybe subconsciously, and I think he's feeling a little bit protective and, like I said before, maybe jealous because he doesn't know what it will mean now that Jake has Shane. And aside from the stupid teenage stuff that a lot of people say without thinking about it, I don't really get the feeling that Ryan has "little tolerance for queers". He doesn't read like a homophobe to me. Probably just like a confused teenager who was a bit shocked to find his best friend kissing him in bed one night, even if it was an accident. Like I said and like Benji said, I think Ry is going through the grief cycle right now. We've seen shock, denial and now anger. So, what's next? Bargaining, depression, testing, and finally acceptance? And yeah, I'll say it's a lot like grief, because he's mourning one set of expectations and the "way it used to be" and coming to terms with a big change in perspective. Jake went through most of those stages himself, albeit a lot more slowly.

But I read Ry's comment about finding another brother as a hopeful sign. It means that he considers his love for his friend to be unconditional, and, just as families often do, he might need a little space right now but he's not going to give up on his "brother" so easily. No, I think Ry will be okay, just as soon as he has a chance to vent his anger.

As for Chloe, well, the fact that she has a serious thing for Ry is probably clouding her judgment a little. But really, I think she reacted quite well. She was a bit surprised but she didn't make a big thing of it. And she's being pretty mature by not taking sides and refusing to get caught in the middle more than necessary. She did rip Ry a new one over the whole ride thing the next morning, too. And she tried to convince Jake to have lunch with her and to talk things out with Ry. All things considered, I think she's being a pretty good friend.

It's easy to forget that these are just teenagers, and written pretty realistically at that. All told, I'd say Jake has a couple of pretty solid friends who, once they get over their surprise, will probably wind up being there for him.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

By the way, will we be seeing more of Caydence in this story? I hope so. She's off the wall.

Ry been a big brother to Jake.

Jake having cross the line like twice.

hehe sister chloe has clout on her bros.

Ry is force into another big brother chat.

But gosh he practically sounds like some ones papa.

Gosh - Jake doesn't respond well to abuse.

I hope Ry will try to be Gentle?? like does he know what the word means?

its nice that chloe sort of understands - complete with bruises

I hope Ry takes a tranquilizer before he talks to Jake. :lol:

First of all, Jordan, CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a promising author. If anyone deserves it, you do.

Up to now, I've been saying each chapter was better than the last. I didn't get that feeling with this one, and there's a good reason for it. Chapter ten was a real working chapter. With chapter 10, I really felt you've settled into the story - the story is starting to mature, and that's a good thing. It means that you're hitting your stride. This is quality writing at its best!

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next scene in chapter 11 between Jake and Ry - there certainly could be fireworks for sure, but I'd still keep a watch on Chloe. She's really caught in the middle more than anyone in the story other than Jake himself. She want's to do the right thing, but if Ry continues to pull away from Jake, how will she be able to maintain her neutrality. Doing so will only tear her apart, especially as other students start to wonder what's going on. Sooner or later, she'll explode, with dire consequences for Jake.

Keep up the superb writing, Jordan. I can't wait to see what your hosted site looks like someday. :D

Well I'm completly dissatisfied with Chapter 10. Not because i dont like it, because I really really do. I'm just a very impatient person.

Chloe is a gem. She's probably my favourite character out of Jake, Ry, Shane and Her. She's so realistic and she reacted the way I thought she would.

I've had a little trouble liking Shane as much as others seem to. But this chapter flipped that around for me. I found him adorably protective. Plus his hostility towards Ry, while coming from a good place, I also didnt expect.

Ry is a geniunely good person. Atleast i think he is. But as for assuming he's going to physically or emotionally hurt Jake? I expect that from Chloe not Ry at all. Sadly I cant see Himself and Jake reaching middle-ground yet.

And as for poor Jake. Well has anyone noticed how painfully human he is. It makes me cringe watching him stumble around words. he should invest in some Sign-Language classes. or atleast carry around a pen and notepad.

Eagerly waiting for the next chapter.

-Your humble fan

- MT

Okay, J.Ross...I'm hooked....the feelings you've got Jake wrapped up in are what I had to go through alone during High School...so the story resonates deeply...but I had to do it without friends--Southern Orange County just didn't have the right climate for coming out in school back in the late '70's...

Keep up the good work, the emotions you've got Jake and Ryan going through are represented in narrative thought and dialogue as perfect as I can remember it all--which is pretty good--coming to the self-realization of your own 'gay'ness is a hard realization...I had the inklings of it just before puberty hit which made that all the more difficult.

And there was one class in high school that I could never think in 'cause one of my eye candy was two desks away...

Well I'm even more hooked now. But I'm left reviewing my own attempts at writing, and wonder will I ever be that good?

How long have you been writing? The quality of this story make me think (kind of hope) that you've been writing for years.

How have you managed to study the trials & tribulations of teenagers 'figuring things out' so closely without being arrested for stalking? :D

I just finished reading the whole story for the second time, now including chap. 10 and all I can say is WOW!! What a sticky situation! I love the way the story has been developing, the characters all with different characteristics yet all with the same goal, their friendship! Can't wait until you post chap. 11 and see where Ry and Jake will be heading to. Hope all will be fine though. I've really enjoyed the way Shane and Jake's relationship have been developing! *Sigh* to be that age again!.......

Guest aquillo

I've loved this story oh so much, J. You really brought these characters to life. My only complaint would be that Caydence is such a fun character who has such a small role. Bring her into the story more! pretty please? :P

Have a great holiday everyone!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Dear everyone, *clears throat*

I love you. I know, I know, it seems so soon and sudden, but I felt it was time you knew. We've been doing this 'thing' for awhile now, and even though it got a little rocky for awhile after we had that dinner with you parents, I think it'll work out. And that time you made me sleep out on the couch for a week with tizzy the pissing pup...don't even worry about it, it's water over the bridge...or under the bridge. You know what I mean. Lets make babies.

*eyeroll* Seriously, though, I love all of y'all. Thanks so much for all of your comments and support. It really does help and it keeps me focused. I'd still write but I'm not sure I'd try so hard to get updates out if I didn't think there were people waiting for them. And you all make it fun! Thanks for sticking around and forgiving my cheesy little responses over here (this one being the worst yet) on this thread and reading on anyway. You're all sock-rockers. Anyway, I normally respond to everyone, individually, even if you don't want/expect it. It's my tiny way of showing I really appreciate all of you, even if I never say much more than thanks (because I'm not really articulate and have no idea what else to say). I'm going to keep responding to everyone, because I can't help myself, I'm a talkative SOB, and I really am grateful. The quotes have got to go, though. Apparently, you can only have so many quote boxes in one post and I don't like double posting.

So, here goes. Expect this to be excruciatingly redundant and...pointless. o_0

Verm, I'm thrilled you enjoyed the 'bed scene' in this chapter (I'm starting to feel like there's been one in every chapter since 5). It was actually a bit longer and horrible before Sharon fixed it and hacked it down to size. I couldn't get it to work on my own, because I suck like that, but thanks. I was pretty worried about that scene... And NOTHING is ever worth working all night for. Nothing from me anyway. :) Thanks for reading!

Conner, I've never actually written a cliffhanger on purpose, but uhm...I think being stalked might be a little flattering. Or, a lot flattering, actually. I may let it go to my head. And cockiness is never fun. Or...I suppose it can be. ...I'm going to stop now and thank you for reading, I'm glad you liked the chapter. And that you actually care about Ryan and Jake. I really thought I'd get more complaints about the lack of Shane in the story right now...

hh5, tsk, tsk, so little faith in Ry. *pets him* Lol, I'm glad you're enjoying the story. But why would you wanna be Jake. Poor guy is miserable right now. Lol. Thanks for reading and my apologies for the wait. I'm horrible, but I hope to have the next chapter up soon. :P

Cynical Romantic, I meant to thank you when I posted that last chapter, because I think it's thanks in part to you that I actually got it done. I think I tried not to let that crazy woman get to me, but she had me thinking and you sort of...talked me off a ledge or something dramatic like that, so thanks, a lot. And thanks for always being here and being so wonderfully encouraging. I think I have confidence issues; it really is baffling for me that you lot continue to enjoy this and that some of you have actually been here since the beginning and are still here. Here is me, hoping I don't disappoint or crack under the pressure. Or something. Thanks muchly.

Benji, Lol, I'm glad you find it funny. Though, it is kind of cruel, considering how miserable everyone is at the moment. Lol. I'm kidding. I like humor I think, above anything and I'm never sure I can pull it off. *shrug* My point is, if you found this funny in anyway, I'm immensely pleased. Thanks for reading.

Altimexis, thanks so much. for the congrats and because I think you've been here from chapt one too, and your input really has helped a lot. I really do appreciate it. If I've hit my stride with this, I'd like to say that it was ridiculously hard. It's getting to that point in the story where I actually have to try multiple times to write a chapter that I'm actually satisfied with and both chapters ten and eleven were really difficult to write, but I'm so glad it paid off.

Matt, you're here, and NOT silent. Yayness. I think impatience is a compliment in this case. At least, I'm gonna take it as one, and be happy. Thank you. I'm glad Shane's growing on you and hopefully he'll continue to grow on you as the story goes on. I actually like his character and I feel like I've been waiting forever to finally show more of who he really is...and I still haven't reached that point, but it's coming. Thanks for reading. I'm glad to know your still around.

kjames, I think one of my favorite things to hear is that my characters are relatable in some way (I might have mentioned that) so, thank you so much, and I'm glad...uhm, that the story is relatable, not that you had to go through it without a solid support system. *hugs* Thanks so much for reading, I'm glad your hooked. :D

Mark, *ahem* I had no idea that there even was a top ten most read list. I need to pay more attention...o_0 Lol, thanks for pointing it out, that is definitely on the cool side of things. And thanks for the congrats!

heidi, I love that you love this story and I'm definitely glad you started reading it too. Thanks for commenting.

StueyNZ, Lol, I'm glad you're hooked. Hopefully, I can keep you there. And...as for how long I've been writing...I think I started about five years ago. I stopped for a few months because I got really busy with college and work and other things that can't be avoided. IDT was the first thing I wrote when I got back to writing and I've learned that you actually can get worse...or maybe my standards have gone up. *shrug* And I don't study teenagers. Ever. I have a couple of younger sibs that are still in highschool but I barely see them. I'm never sure if I get the characters right, which is why it's such a huge compliment to be told they're realistic/relatable. :D Thanks for reading.

tania, chapter 11 will be up soon, hopefully. :) I'm so sorry about the wait. And I'm glad that you liked the story enough to reread it and that find the characters entertaining. THanks so much!!

aquillo, Thank you! Especially for liking Caydence, she's one of my favorites to write. Uhm...I don't really think we'll see much of her until we start seeing more of Shane, but she IS in the next chapter a little bit. I'm thrilled you like her, I get emails all the time from people that would much rather I did away with her Ryan and Chloe...which I could never do. It's nice to hear that y'all actually enjoy the supporting cast. But yes...more from Caydence eventually. Also...more from Colin and Tracy. I'm not done with those two yet.

More soon, Thanks again, all of you, for reading and sticking around and all that good stuff. Much appreciated. I totally meant the I love you thing.

Edited by J.Ross

Just finished reading 11 and I loved it!!!! I'm glad that Jake is finally standing up to Ry and making him be honest and make a decision. It's not far that Ry gets to call all the shots, and it makes me feel better that Jake is getting that now too.

Shane has been so great through all this. He puts up with Jake's fear and he stays calm and understanding with all this Ry drama. I think Shane's right though, Ry is an ass. And it almost seems like Ry is staying friends with Jake out of convience. But then I have to keep in mind that everyone handles things differnt so maybe I won't write off Ry just yet.

With Jake no longer seeking Ry's aproval his and Shane's relationship has a good chance of working. He came to terms with being upset over liking shane, He stood up to Ry and he's the comfort form Chlo. He's come a long way and I'm proud of him. Now he has to worry about his parents finding out, it's only a matter of time at this point.

Great job on the chapter!!

Aaron

Just finished reading 11 and I loved it!!!! I'm glad that Jake is finally standing up to Ry and making him be honest and make a decision. It's not far that Ry gets to call all the shots, and it makes me feel better that Jake is getting that now too.

Shane has been so great through all this. He puts up with Jake's fear and he stays calm and understanding with all this Ry drama. I think Shane's right though, Ry is an ass. And it almost seems like Ry is staying friends with Jake out of convience. But then I have to keep in mind that everyone handles things differnt so maybe I won't write off Ry just yet.

With Jake no longer seeking Ry's aproval his and Shane's relationship has a good chance of working. He came to terms with being upset over liking shane, He stood up to Ry and he's the comfort form Chlo. He's come a long way and I'm proud of him. Now he has to worry about his parents finding out, it's only a matter of time at this point.

Great job on the chapter!!

Aaron

B) ............Yep, In due time I suppose! But the chapter was not resolving from the one before, sorta of a carry-over. Ry is still coming to terms, taking a long time to do so, I would have thought Chlo would have 'socked it to him' by now (Ry). I'm glad Jake is holding his own on this, as Shane is more supportive here. Yep, in due time!!

Jordan, what can I say? Your writing is amazing, and the characters are so real. At least Jake isn't in denial anymore. Ry won't let him be, but it's pretty hard for Jake to accept that Ry needs time, just as he did. :P

No going out tonight, Jordan. No watching the ball drop. Happy New Year and all, but you got to chain yourself to your desk and write the next chapter for your adoring fans! :funny:

I would so much like to know what's going on in Ry's head. That ain't going to happen as Jake is telling the story. So that only leaves me with what comes out of his mouth. So far, I don't like what I'm hearing. :angry:

I definitely see Ryan as the "lone wolf" type. Essentially, that means he's going to stick to his own advice; he's going to try and figure it all out by himself, with no help from anyone else. That does not bode well for his relationship with Jake. The only hope on this front is Chloe, and, frankly, the person Ry needs to talk to is Jake, not Chloe. Ry isn't having any of that. :(

I have to say again, Ryan's belief around queers is that it's unmasculine and, therefore, unacceptable. There's evidence of that in this chapter as well when he tells Jake to stop being a fag when Jake expressed discomfort at working at the volunteer place. It's that automatic for him. I get that Ryan is a product of his culture and upbringing and that's exactly why I hold little hope of him coming around.

I have mixed feelings around Chloe. So she's treating Jake just like always. Does that mean she's being supportive or does it mean that she really wishes that all this would go away so that things could go back to "normal". My take so far is she's in denial. Being neutral doesn't mean you don't say anything. Friends are honest with one another; that's one of the ways friends build trust. She doen't need to end her relationship with Ry in order to tell him he's being an ass. Neither has a compassionate word come out of her mouth toward Jake, not in the sense that he's a victim, but in a way that shows Jake that she has some kind of understanding about what he's going through.

I agree wholeheartedly with Aaron about Jake standing up for himself. It's exactly what he needs.

And, yes, Shane's a sweetheart. :wub:

Conner

Great Chapter! Ry hasn't maimed Jake nor tried to dispose of the body. Amazing.

Shane does have a point that its not that bad.

I wish Jake would understand that Ry needs to sort things out but it seems that Ry never really arrives at an answer.

There's no indication that Ry has gone to any one to help him get sorted out.

God for bid if Jake gets seriously hurt

Would Ry care or come around with his decision?

But it would be a good question. What price does Ry or Jacob have to pay?

to either have a Win-Win or Win-Lose situation.

Its coming to a point where the adults will start to notice.

The price becomes higher for Jacob

I just hope Jake doesn't implode or explode?

Either way the supporting cast is going to get hurt.

I'd read the first couple of chapters some weeks (months?) back and backlogged a whole bunch for a massive sitting, which happened tonight. And it was great. :) There are so many little moments that hit the nail on the head for why I read prose at all -- like Shane being sad that Jake doesn't *want* to like him in ch 11, and earlier the whole interaction with "want" and "want you... arooound" in ch 10 -- brilliant stuff.

From the other reader responses, there seems to be a lot of different judgments on Ryan and Chloe. I think this is due in part to the fact that homophobia -- or discomfort with homosexuality in general -- is inherently quite irrational; the fact that these are characters who read as adults (i.e. aren't annoying in a teenage way) but actually are teenagers; and the fact that, although the setting and world are very vivid, I think a bit more background elements would flesh out the kind of attitude expected. I like the background on Jake's dad -- that sets up very well for things to come.

In any case -- thanks for the great read, and I eagerly await the next chapter. :) I agree, also, with whoever said that Cadence is a great character who should definitely feature more. :D

Hi! I just finished reading the chapter and I gotta say, reading it was an awesome way to start the new year! and while I'm on the topic, HAPPY NEW YEARS!! Anywho I'm still feeling pretty sad for Jake and Ry though i'm ready to sock him one if Chloe doesn't. And Shane get more adorable every chapter and I lol Caydence! I love how she goes to her own beat and does the unexpected. The "I'm gonna be shane today, I'm so excited, he has great skin" had me on the floor :D Anyway thank you for the update! can't wait for the next chapter!! YAY ^_^

Edited by B_rabbit

Another great chapter! This Ryan situation is getting interesting. Really curious to see what happens there.

It was great to see Chloe and Shane hanging out together with Jake. And that Jake has finally accepted that he likes Shane. Wonder if things will progress now?

I was wondering about Shane's history. Wasn't sure if it was mentioned but is this his first relationship also? Of course, if I had the time I would happily re-read the whole story to find that out.

Also, I really find it interesting that the characters aren't able to fully express themselves with their words all the time. This was very evident with Ryan in this chapter. Of course throughout the story, Jake especially stumbles around with his words leaving many things unclear. It gets a bit annoying sometimes but I like it because it is actually very realistic. It really helps capture the character's emotion.

Eagerly looking forward to the next chapter!

Thank You so much for the "New Years" treat!! I was going to go to my son's party and decided to stay until I finished the chapter! :lmao: Other than the NEED to read I knew I should've stayed at home. I am a translator for the police dept. in the whole county (which is quite small) and had a feeling I was going to get a call from one of the depts. So, knowing that if I went to my sons I was gonna get wasted (and then put in jail if I went ahead and answered their call "YIKES"!!) I went ahead and stayed put chatting on the LiveChat here. Well, needless to say, YEP! I got the call! LOL!

I share the thoughts from all those who have responded since yesterday. I am so glad to see Jake sticking to his guns and not letting Ry or anyone separate him from Shane. Will patiently wait for Chap.12 :worship:

HAPPY NEW YEAR To everyone!!!

Love and Light

Sandra

Very realistic. When you decide you don't want to be around someone for awhile, what happens? You run into them everywhere.

No no, you just notice it.

It's like police cars. They're everywhere, but you only notice that when you're breaking the law.