Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes - Chapter 25

Cliff James has released Chapter 25 of Changing Lanes. The chapter title is "Satan's Own Thunder".

Drums out of the darkness, listen well.

Drums beating like thunder straight from Hell.

Trumpets are blaring, the time's come 'round -

Satan is here to claim His ground!

~from "Hymn of the Satanic Empire" by Anton LaVey

Now remember the goat is the second hand man of Satan ;)

Jon really needed it to tell the info to Eric, he's afraid he'll be the only straight guy, but eric would only be bi though.

Yay some action :D

Edited by Drewbie

Great chapter, Cliff. Eric and Jansen are getting closer while General Bradson is getting closer to Brian. Will the Iranians make lemonade? Another puzzle solved.

There was a brief mention of the volcano in this chapter, reminding us that it remains as an unresolved issue in the story and is, therefore, still a cliffhanger.

• Site Moderator

It'll be interesting to see if they find the black box and check it out and get a better picture of how they've been duped.

Eric and Jansen seem to be getting closer. It wouldn't surprise me to see Eric make the first big move.

Edited by TalonRider
To add a missing word.
It'll be interesting to see if they find the black box and check it out and get a better picture of how they've been duped.

Eric and Jansen seem to be getting closer. It wouldn't surprise me to see make the first big move.

Think asking on a date or a kiss, and by eric will ask or jansen?

Great chapter, Cliff. Eric and Jansen are getting closer while General Bradson is getting closer to Brian. Will the Iranians make lemonade? Another puzzle solved.

There was a brief mention of the volcano in this chapter, reminding us that it remains as an unresolved issue in the story and is, therefore, still a cliffhanger.

The goat strikes again - now near Tokyo an active volcano in addition to Alaska!!

Now this awaited moment seems to be the same awaited moment for Brando and Chase.

We're waiting Eric and Jansen!!

But then again - Eric may have found a new career "Stripping!!! in the Club!!"

Its his new thing to bring back the joy of multiple women.

He's testing that it works before getting JON hooked on it. :D:lol:

• Site Administrator

Great chapter, thanks CJ :great:

It is interesting how the General thought out the whole distraction exercise with Flight One. Now that we know the lemon were just a means to get the Iranians to stand down, it seems so simple. I'm wondering if you can do anything with burnt lemons? :P

I have to admit, when the garage door openers were mentioned earlier I was always thinking of the remote control part. Does anyone else refer to the remote as the 'garage door opener? Like as in "Don't forget the garage door opener" or "Grab the garage door opener from my car". Seeing that it actually was in reference to the actual mechanical part of the garage door opener it makes more sense and explains why I was so off base in trying to tie them to radar jamming :blink: .

I'm going to deviate from the norm here and ask, is Eric really interest in Jansen, or is he interested in Keith? Jansen is definitely in to Eric, that is evident. But with Eric's whisper to Jon on which one he liked, don't we have to look at Eric's actions. He always speaks really highly of Keith. I believe he refered to Jansen as being like a brother. Could it be that Jansen could be hurt here?

I'm really curious now about the actual ground attack from the members of Flight Three, and what the Scar has up his sleeve?

Since when did I become Shadowgod's second hand man? :o

Well, the General got them in, and got his stand-down order. The c-130 won't have a black box; military aircraft don't have them, and ex-military, sold as surplus, usually don't have them retrofitted, especially overseas. However... There are loads of other clues for the Iranians. One would be (mentioned in the chapter) that not all the grenades hit the refinery, and some of the grenades were mangled by the impact and didn't detonate. They also might find it odd, if they have even the moist rudimentary of medical examiners, that the planes "crew" were already well into rigor mortis before the crash. Those are just two things (I'm not saying those will be in coming chapters, just that they are clues the Iranians might pick up on), there are loads more.

Given the resources he had available; a few old transport planes, some mercenary troops, some standard infantry weapons, etc, and that we know that his target is a heavily defended base deep in Iran, the General had to come up with some kind of head fake to manipulate them into standing down. Making them think, at first, that it was an air strike, letting them react, and then presenting evidence that it was all a horrific accident, made them do so. That's an example of getting inside the other guy's decision loop. :)

Of course, as someone once said, getting in is the easy part. :) There's also the little matter of The Scar's orders to Felecia.

What are the notes in the General's pocket? :)

Okay, Garage door openers... Good point Wildone!! I asked around a bit today. Seems some people here do call the remote the opener, but that was two out of four, not exactly a large sample. :)

So, I have a question for those that do call the remote control the "garage door opener"; what do you call the mechanical device inside the garage that opens the door?

Thanks for the chapter CJ! :D

Okay, Garage door openers... Good point Wildone!! I asked around a bit today. Seems some people here do call the remote the opener, but that was two out of four, not exactly a large sample. :)

So, I have a question for those that do call the remote control the "garage door opener"; what do you call the mechanical device inside the garage that opens the door?

For me the remote is the garage door opener, the mechanical device is the motor, and then obviously there are the tracks.

Hope that helps!

Very clever chapter CJ!

The General isn't one because of politics, he is a master at deployment. He obviously has read the "Art of War' and studied Patton. I was a bit taken that Felicia was versed in Patton as well, me thinks she will betray Scar on that merit alone. I wonder at what the Iranian troops reactions will be upon seeing a possible rare commodity as lemons in the cash-strapped economy given as it is in Iran. Will they busy themselves in gathering the lemons? Or try to investigate the crash site? Again, me thinks with the stand down order they will be busy making lemonade. I am puzzled at what the Generals next trick up his sleeve will be though, I was thinking some of the cargo would be spread amoungst the Iranian stockpile, leading to a false panic of an mistaken 'leak' accident making the panic stricken Iranian soldiers to abandon the site. That would clear the way for a rescue with little resistance and give time for Felicia's men to remove some choice items for the Scar to obtain. Sorry if their is a possible spoiler here in that respect.

Eric and Jon finally have a decent conversation, seems with all the characters lately Jon was somewhat absent in this story. And I'm glad the air was somewhat cleared between them, given his age and isolation from the populace due to his fame with the band and all. It is forgiving that he is seeing all of this as somewhat awkward. He seems to be feeling trapped between loyalties with his brothers and his parents, I found it a bit odd his voice wasn't more vocal at his mothers reunion. But he is the middle child after all, perhaps he accepts his pecking order.

Eric and the strippers, well I think Eric might be curious and maybe Bi. But I think CJ's readers have put it up to him to push Eric into a relationship beyond him being straight. After all, he is just a fun-loving teenage rock star who happens to like tequila!!

Great cliffhanging free chapter CJ!!! Errrrrrrr!! why is that volcano still smoking???

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade or jin and tonic (That has lemon juice, right?), or just make friends with a wonderfully creative goat.

I have to agree that there is something suspicious about Felicia. I think she may already be working for two employers. Who the other one is I am not sure.

I think Eric is going to ask out a stripper. I meen an exotic dancer. :P

• Site Administrator

All this talk of lemons got me thinking....

What is going to happen to all those lemons? Will any of them be salvaged? What will happen to the burnt ones? Can any be made into lemonade?

I therefore declare Chapter 25:

The Great Lemonade Cliffhanger Part II

:P:D:lol:

Sorry CJ, I couldn't resist

• Site Administrator
I don't think they will be able to do anything with the lemons, except throw them away. I doubt there was any survivors.

Are you talking about lemon survivors or human survivors? Given that there were no living humans on the flight just before it crashed, I doubt any of the corpses on board will turn out to be alive :P

• Site Moderator
Are you talking about lemon survivors or human survivors? Given that there were no living humans on the flight just before it crashed, I doubt any of the corpses on board will turn out to be alive :P

I was referring to the lemons.

Eric and Jansen seem to be getting closer. It wouldn't surprise me to see Eric make the first big move.

Yes, I think it would fall to Eric to make the first move. Really, that's how it ought to be IMO. After all, Eric, not Jansen, is the one who identifies straight (at least presumably), thus it seems to me that it would be a bit disrespectful for Jansen to make the first move.

I was always correctly assuming the thingy that physically makes the door open.

Eric and Jon finally have a decent conversation, seems with all the characters lately Jon was somewhat absent in this story. And I'm glad the air was somewhat cleared between them, given his age and isolation from the populace due to his fame with the band and all. It is forgiving that he is seeing all of this as somewhat awkward. He seems to be feeling trapped between loyalties with his brothers and his parents, I found it a bit odd his voice wasn't more vocal at his mothers reunion. But he is the middle child after all, perhaps he accepts his pecking order.

John is the oldest, if I recall correctly.

It is Eric who is the middle child and Chase who is the youngest.

This would also sort of fit with the current theory that with each son a woman has her odds go up that the next one will be gay.

I have to agree that there is something suspicious about Felicia. I think she may already be working for two employers. Who the other one is I am not sure.

That's a clever and plausible thought! It hadn't occurred to me, but it seems like it would be a good twist!

Great chapter!

-Kevin

Eric may have found a new career "Stripping!!! in the Club!!"

He's testing that it works before getting JON hooked on it. :D:lol:

Its his new thing to bring back the joy of multiple women. :worship:

I don't think they will be able to do anything with the lemons, except throw them away. I doubt there was any survivors.

I think the proximity to dead bodies would make the lemons unapatizing to most people, but it is common knowledge that goats will eat just about anything. :P (Just kidding CJ.)

I think the proximity to dead bodies would make the lemons unapatizing to most people, but it is common knowledge that goats will eat just about anything. :P (Just kidding CJ.)

It's true though goats will just eat about anything :P

and your correct kevin, Jon is the oldest.

Very clever chapter CJ!

The General isn't one because of politics, he is a master at deployment. He obviously has read the "Art of War' and studied Patton. I was a bit taken that Felicia was versed in Patton as well, me thinks she will betray Scar on that merit alone. I wonder at what the Iranian troops reactions will be upon seeing a possible rare commodity as lemons in the cash-strapped economy given as it is in Iran. Will they busy themselves in gathering the lemons? Or try to investigate the crash site? Again, me thinks with the stand down order they will be busy making lemonade. I am puzzled at what the Generals next trick up his sleeve will be though, I was thinking some of the cargo would be spread amoungst the Iranian stockpile, leading to a false panic of an mistaken 'leak' accident making the panic stricken Iranian soldiers to abandon the site. That would clear the way for a rescue with little resistance and give time for Felicia's men to remove some choice items for the Scar to obtain. Sorry if their is a possible spoiler here in that respect.

Eric and the strippers, well I think Eric might be curious and maybe Bi. But I think CJ's readers have put it up to him to push Eric into a relationship beyond him being straight. After all, he is just a fun-loving teenage rock star who happens to like tequila!!

I had a lot of fun writing this chapter. :)

General Bradson knows how military command and control works, and also what the likely reacations and procedures will be. So, by making it look like an air raid and then creating the false impression that it was an accident, he gamed their system into the stand-down order, though that is a very temporary situation.

Eric has always been a bit... sexually ambigious. :) In LTMP, he did kiss a guy, so he was at least curious back then. I've always seen him as the kind of guy who would fall for a person, with the gender being of a lesser concern. Basically, I see him as a little bit Bi. Now, i may well be wrong (characthers do tend to take of a life of their own, and I've had them surprise me before) but that is my read on the situation. :) Don't worry, I wouldn't push him into a relationship if he didn't want to go there. (besides, Helen would kill me). :)

Errrrrrrr!! why is that volcano still smoking???

Because it hasn't yet read the surgeon general's warning that smoking is hazardous for your health?

All this talk of lemons got me thinking....

What is going to happen to all those lemons? Will any of them be salvaged? What will happen to the burnt ones? Can any be made into lemonade?

I therefore declare Chapter 25:

The Great Lemonade Cliffhanger Part II

:P:D:lol:

Sorry CJ, I couldn't resist

Wildone!!!

Now, let's be reasonable here!! Okay, yes, there are lemons, and this chapter was intended, regarding the choice of citrus, to be in part a bit of an ode to the famous Lemonade Cliffhanger in Shadowgod's Living in Surreality.

However, that was a true lemonade cliffhanger, whereas there is not even a mention of lemonade in this chapter! So, be reasonable, this cannot be a lemonade Cliffhanger!!

Yes, I think it would fall to Eric to make the first move. Really, that's how it ought to be IMO. After all, Eric, not Jansen, is the one who identifies straight (at least presumably), thus it seems to me that it would be a bit disrespectful for Jansen to make the first move.

I was always correctly assuming the thingy that physically makes the door open.

John is the oldest, if I recall correctly.

It is Eric who is the middle child and Chase who is the youngest.

This would also sort of fit with the current theory that with each son a woman has her odds go up that the next one will be gay.

That's a clever and plausible thought! It hadn't occurred to me, but it seems like it would be a good twist!

Great chapter!

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin!!

Yep, Chase is the youngest, Eric is the middle, and Jon is the eldest.

For Jansen and Keith, Keith is the oldest.

<CJ looks up from eating his peanut butter, pepperoni, and tobasco sandwich> Hrmm? Goats eat anything? 0:)

(Actually, I literally was eating a peanut butter, pepperoni, and tobasco sandwich when I read your post, and it made me laugh. :) )

BTW, I should announce some story news.

This might come as a shock to many of you, but Changing Lanes will very likely end up being longer than the 12 to 15 chapters I predicted when I started posting it. As a wild guess.... (and bear in mind my past failures in this regard) we're looking at an ending around chapter 35. I can, however, absolutely guarantee that it will either be 35 chapters, or less, or more.

And BTW, in case anyone missed them from my other post, here's the next two chapter titles;

26: The Scorpion and the Frog

27: Drums out of Darkness

<CJ looks up from eating his peanut butter, pepperoni, and tobasco sandwich> Hrmm? Goats eat anything? 0:)

(Actually, I literally was eating a peanut butter, pepperoni, and tobasco sandwich when I read your post, and it made me laugh. :) )

Careful of that peanut butter, Cliff.

That was a real interesting twist to make the enemy think a cargo plane went down.... Hope the lemons get put to some good use, have you seen the cost of fruit? They can make tons of things with lemons besides lemonade.

Maybe Eric will be able to settle down once he and Jansen get back to California....

I think I figured out why the volcano hasn't gone off yet. It's waiting for Scar to fly over it and it will erupt and foil any plans he may have.

It will be interesting to see what really does happen since Scar knows Eric is on the island and has left the General.

Death to the Scar by Volcano.

Great Chapter CJ! :thumbup:

Edward

Careful of that peanut butter, Cliff.

Fear not, I purchased said peanut butter over a year ago. :)

Hey the Goat is Genetically Engineered!!!

http://www.webmd.com/news/20090206/new-dru...ineered-animals

Who, me? 0:)

That was a real interesting twist to make the enemy think a cargo plane went down.... Hope the lemons get put to some good use, have you seen the cost of fruit? They can make tons of things with lemons besides lemonade.

Maybe Eric will be able to settle down once he and Jansen get back to California....

I think I figured out why the volcano hasn't gone off yet. It's waiting for Scar to fly over it and it will erupt and foil any plans he may have.

It will be interesting to see what really does happen since Scar knows Eric is on the island and has left the General.

Death to the Scar by Volcano.

Great Chapter CJ! :thumbup:

Edward

Thank you Edward!!

The General had a dilemma; he had to cause a stand-down (we'll see more on why in 26) and so he forst had to make them think there was an attack, and then make them think it was an accident. He was counting on the chaos of war. He had very limited resources to work with, so his only option was to "game the system" and as he's so fond of saying, "get inside their decision loop".

Basically, a strategic head-fake, to create the situation that he needs.

The volcano... Volcanos very often become active, and then have a long sequence of eruptive events. Almost always, the largest is not the first. They also take time. Alaska is still waiting for Redbout to begin erupting, and after it does, if past history is a guide, it will be active for the better part of a year, with intermitant activity. That also fits with Cumbre Vieja's past history. However, volcanos don't always act as expected. Mount Saint Helens is a classic example; they dismissed the concern of a lateral blase becuase it hadn't occurred from that volcano in over twenty thousand years. Thus, they dismissed the ominous bulge that grew; the entire north slope of the mountain. In same cases, it grew by five feet a day, and the bulge was visible to the naked eye. Even once the eruptions were underway, they remained somewhat unconcerned. They did finally listen to the few who were warning of the danger, and issued a relacation order, but that was on may 17th. On the morning of may 18th, a moderate earthquake triggered the collapse, and fighty eight people died, many of them vulcanologists monitoring the volcano. I've been to Johnson Ridge, where their main station was. It's five miles from the volcano, on a ridge a thousand feet above the interveining valley. The blast scoured it down to bedrock. From five miles away. I highly recommend seeing it to anyone who will be in the area. Words alone aren't enough to relay the power of it; it was nature, on an awesome scale.

CJ :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..