[Duncan Ryder] How the Light Gets In

This is a great chapter, Duncan. It has to be difficult to write about a very difficult meeting. It is hard especially for Luc and Matt to see Scott and Josh together. Josh and, to a lesser extent perhaps, Scott also find the reunions troubling. Everyone is still wounded.

We can only hope that Luc and Matt find each other. That is the only apparent solution to the problems they all have.

Oh, yes, finally. :)

I think what I like most about this is how it's so easy for me to feel what the characters are feeling. I fall into everyone of these chapters and it always takes me awhile to crawl back out.

Matt... I like him, I think, and I barely know anything about him yet, but I don't think it'll be at all hard for him and Luc to relate to one another if they are ever able to open up to each other... and who knows how long that'll take but, I'm hoping.

I was a little thrown, at first, by the way he 'spoke' about Scott, but I can definitely understand it. He doesn't really know Scott and he so obviously still has feelings for Josh, so it seems natural and believable for him to react the way he did to Scott. I think I got a little defensive when I read... I can't remember the exact words, but it was something along the lines of 'what can Scott possibly offer him' or something like that, because I LOVE that relationship. I think Scott and Josh compliment each other really well, and I'm really pulling for them, but I can understand, I think, where Matt's coming from.

And... I know so little about him, but there's...SOMETHING that makes me think his feelings for Josh are almost as 'unhealthy' as Luc's for Scott. Mostly because as far as I can see, Josh never really led him on and I wonder what he was going through when he met Josh to make him... I don't know, I'm just REALLY curious about his character. I can 'feel' the pain there, but (and maybe this is just me), I can't really see much reason for it yet, because I know so little about him.

Also... I'm worried. There's just no possible way that something isn't going to... blow up.

I'm rambling aimlessly now, so I'm gonna run, but it was an awesome chapter, Duncan. I look forward to more.

I'll be back later when I can sort my thoughts into patterns and words that make sense. Or something.

• Site Administrator

Wow, all I can say is that the chapter built and built until the tension was thick enough to cut with a knife. I agree with J. Ross about feeling what each character was feeling.

I too wonder what will break the tension. Josh's hug with Matt was obviously Josh's attempt to break the tension, but for Matt I think it only increased it.

In a perfect world I guess each of them would find out what the other is feeling by talking about it instead of guessing, but unfortunately I don't think they will get the opportunity to do so in the next chapter, instead something will blow up. I'm just hoping that it won't be between Matt and Luc.

Thanks for another excellent chapter Duncan :worship: .

Steve B)

And so the roommates finally meet!

I wonder how/when Luc and Matt will start to connect. They're so wrapped up in their own problems and cases of unrequited love, that neither has any interest to get to know the other. At least, Luc has had more time to perceive and process that Scott and Josh are in love. Matt, however, doesn't have much of an idea.

It wasn't that Scott wasn't a good guy

Another great chapter, and a great gift to end a hellish week. Thank you for posting, Duncan.

That reunion was difficult for all of them. I honestly think that both Josh and Scott are well-meaning and only trying to help their friends, but it's got to be tough for Luc and for Matt to be around them. The kindest thing to do in this situation might be for them to back off and keep their distance.

Not that that's bound to happen anytime soon.

Brandon and Laura: Such a great relationship! Can't wait to see more of them in the story.

Superb chapter, Duncan! :worship::worship:

Apart from the fact that just about everyone, including me, has predicted or is hoping for a Luc - Matt relationship, it strikes me that such a relationship seems too "easy" a way to take the story. They can definitely support each other, for sure, but they both need to become reasonably "unwounded" first and stand on their own. Neither has a lot going for them. Both of them are very private with their feelings. Neither of them has any significant support system in place at the university i.e. friends, family.

I truly fear for Luc. I don't believe he's going to make it. :(

Conner

Apart from the fact that just about everyone, including me, has predicted or is hoping for a Luc - Matt relationship, it strikes me that such a relationship seems too "easy" a way to take the story. They can definitely support each other, for sure, but they both need to become reasonably "unwounded" first and stand on their own. Neither has a lot going for them. Both of them are very private with their feelings. Neither of them has any significant support system in place at the university i.e. friends, family.

Lol... uhm, easy? First, I was nodding, because I hadn't even considered the possibility that those two wouldn't end up together and it DID seem easy in my head... and then I went on reading and I was like, wait - where is the 'easy' in getting these two to a place where a relationship might actually work. It's all your fault, but God, if they do, they've got a LONG ways to go yet. Lots to be worked out for both of them...

I truly fear for Luc.

*nods* Me too. I try not to think about it. Pobrecito

I, too, sense "a blowup" in the future. It's probably going to take some kind of painful exchange to make Josh and Scott's relationship concrete for Matt.

*nods* Agreed. And on that note... or not, I'm bad with segue's...I'm trying but I really can't see how Luc's infatuation with Scott and Matt's with Josh (is 'infatuation' the right word? No?) isn't going to cause trouble in Scott/Josh's relationship. Especially because Josh and Scott both seem to feel so guilty about Matt and Luc respectively and everyone's so sensitive and...

Ugh, I really can't see the 'good' ending yet. I'm desperately hoping for one, but...all I can see right now is the conflict. I'm torn between being worried and excited.

I still haven't gotten all my thoughts together... and I think I want to go back and read EW and Light to date over again to see how I'm feeling, but...I feel like rambling anyway.

It strikes me as funny that Scott was who I thought was going to be the wounded one when I started reading EW, and yeah, he's been through some, but... he's kind of lucky in comparison to Josh, Luc, and Matt. Or...not so much Matt right now, because I'm not really seeing what he's got to be all broken about... I can see that he IS, but there's just...obviously more to the 'why' than what we've seen so far.

Scott, and most of his pain, I think, comes from those people around him. He cares so much and when they're hurting, he is, partly because he can't 'save them all'. *hugs him* He's such a teddy bear. A really massive teddy bear. I want one. Scott's still ten different kinds of awesome.

The car ride with Luc/Josh/Scott... it was pretty tense. Obviously >.< But even I was kind of like 'ouch' when Scott moved to comfort Josh. Poor Luc.

Matt... I'm still trying to really figure out how I feel about him. The bit that Kiso quoted above from the story really bugged me about him, but Kiso's right. Matt's an outsider and even though that part is a little... bitter, I can't really blame him. He doesn't know Scott, or Josh really, imo.

I'm having a hard time understanding Matt and I'm hoping it's because there's a LOT that we don't know about him and his situation yet and not because I'm, you know, slow. But, I'd really like to know why he's so hung up on Josh. With Luc, I can understand the way he's latched on to Scott, but I can't see it with Matt/Josh. He obviously cares more than he says and that last line in chapter nine was a little troubling for me. Kind of gave me 'uh oh' feelings. *shrug* I just... I wonder what he was going through when he had his time with Josh to make him... latch on. I won't say that Josh led him on because... imo, Josh couldn't have been more clear without taking up skywriting. He refused to even kiss Matt. I'm not sure *needs to reread* but I don't think the two of them ever really talked.

Obviously, I've got Matt on the brain. Luc too, because he's just soo...broken, but Matt's got my head spinning. I definitely can't wait to know more about him.

This is a great chapter, Duncan. It has to be difficult to write about a very difficult meeting. It is hard especially for Luc and Matt to see Scott and Josh together. Josh and, to a lesser extent perhaps, Scott also find the reunions troubling. Everyone is still wounded.

We can only hope that Luc and Matt find each other. That is the only apparent solution to the problems they all have.

Thanks Mike. And thanks for starting the thread. Yes, it's hard... the dynamics are very complicated... keeping it real is a challenge...

Oh, yes, finally. :)

I think what I like most about this is how it's so easy for me to feel what the characters are feeling. I fall into everyone of these chapters and it always takes me awhile to crawl back out.

Matt... I like him, I think, and I barely know anything about him yet, but I don't think it'll be at all hard for him and Luc to relate to one another if they are ever able to open up to each other... and who knows how long that'll take but, I'm hoping.

I was a little thrown, at first, by the way he 'spoke' about Scott, but I can definitely understand it. He doesn't really know Scott and he so obviously still has feelings for Josh, so it seems natural and believable for him to react the way he did to Scott. I think I got a little defensive when I read...

Also... I'm worried. There's just no possible way that something isn't going to... blow up.

actaully, that was surprisingly hard to write, Matt's implicit critiscisms of Scott, because, well, Scott is SCOTT! He's WONDERFUL <G>. But...that's it exactly. Matt's the outsider.

Blow up?? Somethings going to blow up???

Wow, all I can say is that the chapter built and built until the tension was thick enough to cut with a knife. I agree with J. Ross about feeling what each character was feeling.

I too wonder what will break the tension. Josh's hug with Matt was obviously Josh's attempt to break the tension, but for Matt I think it only increased it.

In a perfect world I guess each of them would find out what the other is feeling by talking about it instead of guessing, but unfortunately I don't think they will get the opportunity to do so in the next chapter, instead something will blow up. I'm just hoping that it won't be between Matt and Luc.

Thanks for another excellent chapter Duncan :worship: .

Steve B)

Thx Steve. Yeah...I kinda don't think talking it out is a real option... And there it is again .... Something blowing up?!?!?

And so the roommates finally meet!

I wonder how/when Luc and Matt will start to connect. They're so wrapped up in their own problems and cases of unrequited love, that neither has any interest to get to know the other. At least, Luc has had more time to perceive and process that Scott and Josh are in love. Matt, however, doesn't have much of an idea.

:/ He is the outsider. I, too, sense "a blowup" in the future. It's probably going to take some kind of painful exchange to make Josh and Scott's relationship concrete for Matt.

Thank you for another great chapter.

You're welcome. Thank you.

More predictions of blow ups... I'd better get my chemistry set out.....

Another great chapter, and a great gift to end a hellish week. Thank you for posting, Duncan.

That reunion was difficult for all of them. I honestly think that both Josh and Scott are well-meaning and only trying to help their friends, but it's got to be tough for Luc and for Matt to be around them. The kindest thing to do in this situation might be for them to back off and keep their distance.

Not that that's bound to happen anytime soon.

Brandon and Laura: Such a great relationship! Can't wait to see more of them in the story.

Josh and Scott back off? Then how will anything blow up???

Now Brandon and Laura.... How many people want to see their relationship explored? I kinda want to...but I'm not sure...

Superb chapter, Duncan! :worship::worship:

I truly fear for Luc. I don't believe he's going to make it. :(

Conner

Well....Matt has Brandon. And Luc has a brother not too far away... and of course they both have Scott and Josh...

I'm having a hard time understanding Matt and I'm hoping it's because there's a LOT that we don't know about him and his situation yet and not because I'm, you know, slow. But, I'd really like to know why he's so hung up on Josh. With Luc, I can understand the way he's latched on to Scott, but I can't see it with Matt/Josh. He obviously cares more than he says and that last line in chapter nine was a little troubling for me. Kind of gave me 'uh oh' feelings. *shrug* I just... I wonder what he was going through when he had his time with Josh to make him... latch on. I won't say that Josh led him on because... imo, Josh couldn't have been more clear without taking up skywriting. He refused to even kiss Matt. I'm not sure *needs to reread* but I don't think the two of them ever really talked.

Obviously, I've got Matt on the brain. Luc too, because he's just soo...broken, but Matt's got my head spinning. I definitely can't wait to know more about him.

I will tell you something.

Matt is barely hanging on.

He's a lot more fragile than anyone except maybe Brandon is aware.

And on that note...

Josh and Scott back off? Then how will anything blow up???

Now Brandon and Laura.... How many people want to see their relationship explored? I kinda want to...but I'm not sure...

I wouldn't mind seeing their relationship explored. I'm in this for more then just the gay relationships, I'm in this for everything, and besides it might make the story longer, I mean what will I read when this is done. :D

• Like 1
I will tell you something.

Matt is barely hanging on.

He's a lot more fragile than anyone except maybe Brandon is aware.

And on that note...

Be it "blow up" (sorry we keep repeating that :lol: ) or "breakdown", Matt is going to be crushed when he realizes that Josh and Scott have a serious thing going. I think we're all really worried about Matt. I have a lot more faith in Luc since we're much more familiar with his character.

off topic: Are you excited about Leonard Cohen announcing his North American tour?

I wouldn't mind seeing their relationship explored. I'm in this for more then just the gay relationships, I'm in this for everything, and besides it might make the story longer, I mean what will I read when this is done. :D

Yes, I am liking this idea of an added story arc to postpone the inevitable. Plus, those two are so adorable. Brandon is the most patient straight guy on the planet, god bless him. Sometimes I almost forget that Laura has had such a painful past too, because lately, whenever we see them, they're trying to help everyone else.

Be it "blow up" (sorry we keep repeating that :lol: ) or "breakdown", Matt is going to be crushed when he realizes that Josh and Scott have a serious thing going. I think we're all really worried about Matt. I have a lot more faith in Luc since we're much more familiar with his character.

off topic: Are you excited about Leonard Cohen announcing his North American tour?

It's his US tour that's been announced; he toured Canada last year. My partner and I saw him in Toronto. It was truly amazing (see the Leonard Cohen Hallelejah thread in my Forum https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22004 ...)

Any of you who get the chance to see him -- just do it. You will remember it all your life.

It's his US tour that's been announced; he toured Canada last year. My partner and I saw him in Toronto. It was truly amazing (see the Leonard Cohen Hallelejah thread in my Forum https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22004 ...)

Any of you who get the chance to see him -- just do it. You will remember it all your life.

I stand corrected. The article I read stressed first North American tour in 15 years, not US specifically as it should've...and there are a handful of dates in Canada.

I stand corrected. The article I read stressed first North American tour in 15 years, not US specifically as it should've...and there are a handful of dates in Canada.

No, actually, you're right. It is technically his first North American Tour because last year's Canadian tour didn't have any US stops... though he went right across Canada, even to really small cetnres which is lovely.

Has anyone noticed that the ads on my forum pages include Leonard Cohen tickets? Gotta love that google advertising....

Actually, I don't see the ads. Gotta love Firefox.

But how apropos. I was on another forum the other day to discuss erotica literature, and there was a banner ad for a religious Muslim marriage site. Methinks they got their targeting a bit messed up. (Or, you know, maybe not...)

Haha! Thats great!

Duncan, you've got me completely wrapped around your finger. I offer a belated thanks for the latest chapter.