2 Cents Question 4/2

The 2 Cents Question this time around is...is bisexuality real?

There are many who say that bisexuality is not only a reality, but that most (if not all) are bisexual in one way or another. That a sexual preference is just that....a 'preference'. A choice between two equally appealing sexes.

Then again, there are many who believe that the idea of bisexuality is more a mental need to be accepted and socially brainwashed by what we 'should' be in life. That bisexuals are really homosexuals who are leaving an imaginary door open to remaining what most would consider normal.

What do you guys think? Is bisexuality a part of our everyday natural make up, or is it a deeply hidden subconscious desire to not be an outcast? Give us your 2 cents on the subject....

• Site Administrator

My view is that sexuality is a spectrum from 100% straight to 100% gay. The ones in the middle of that spectrum are the bisexuals.

• 3 weeks later...
My view is that sexuality is a spectrum from 100% straight to 100% gay. The ones in the middle of that spectrum are the bisexuals.

Now see, that's always what I've thought about the whole issue. But there has always been this 'negativity' involved with some people's perception, where the second you feel something for the same sex...you're gay. And everything else is a lie or a struggle to be normal. And yet...the same doesn't seem to be the case with female relationships. Two girls can make out at a party, or spend a weekend having sex, and then go right back to dating guys without much resistance. But two GUYS??? They treat that SO differently. And I always try to figure out why....

Totally agree with you. There was quite a heated debate on this issue in another thread, when someone expressed the opinion that we are all born bi-sexual & then chose our orientation due to environment!

I

• 4 weeks later...

I used to be a member of a dutch holebi forum and they asked the same question.

but then there were aa ouple of twins where 1 was gay (or lesbian) and the other was straight. These were identical twins.

So I do beleive it is something that you are born with. Just like your hair colour and eye colour.

I'm of the belief that it's something you're born with also. Always have been. Especially since I think I was too young to really make a 'decision' on whether or not I was gay when I first started looking at other boys. I didn't attach any FEELINGS to it until I was 11 or 12 years old, but I was looking and observing years before that.

I also saw a documentary ("For The Bible Tells Me So", very good doc on homosexuality and religion) where they stated that the more boys a mother has, the higher the risk for homosexuality. So with every boy born, the chances are higher. Something about the female body recogizing the fetus as feminine or something like that. I can't remember the full explanation. BUT....if you know any cuties that come from a big family full of boys......

::Wicked Grin::

I'm of the belief that it's something you're born with also. Always have been. Especially since I think I was too young to really make a 'decision' on whether or not I was gay when I first started looking at other boys. I didn't attach any FEELINGS to it until I was 11 or 12 years old, but I was looking and observing years before that.

I also saw a documentary ("For The Bible Tells Me So", very good doc on homosexuality and religion) where they stated that the more boys a mother has, the higher the risk for homosexuality. So with every boy born, the chances are higher. Something about the female body recognizing the fetus as feminine or something like that. I can't remember the full explanation. BUT....if you know any cuties that come from a big family full of boys......

::Wicked Grin::

B) ........Hey Comsie, Good topic as usual!

Interesting point about the number of boy's a mother has increasing the risk of having a gay son. My mother had six boys and one daughter, at a very early age I knew I was attracted to boys. I was 7-8 years old when I wanted to see another boy naked. Hehe! I remember that because he did undress for me. I also remember my fascination in watching boys on TV series, 'Johnny' on the Rifleman (G_D, this is going back decades), 'Timmy' on Lassie, and Cubbie from the musketeers on Disney's Mickey Mouse Club. To mention a few!!

You are what you are. You're born, you love, you live, you die. Why is everyone so obsessed with this?

I love who I love. Who I love is nobody's effing business but mine. I am what I am. If you don't like it, just leave me alone.

I know who I love, why I love that sort of person, and that's it.

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Graeme. You usually piss me off, Kiwi, :P but this time I'll stand shoulder-to-shoulder, hold your hand and play (really) nice!

I too think sexuality is on a sliding scale, not one side or the other of a coin. As usual, when speaking of humans, there is only one hard and fast rule - every area is a gray area. Just about everything in regard to humans is messy. That's part of what makes us so amazing; the endless combinations of traits that mix together when, well, when OTHER things mix together....

One statement I would be extremely cautious of repeating however, was the claim of a higher percentage of homosexuality in families with a lot of boys.

My family is enormous; tons of uncles with tons of sons with tons of sons. I have over 100 first cousins alone, more than half of them are male. I am one of eight boys in my own, immediate family. I have never met another male in my family that is gay. (Damn it!) There may be some closet cases, and my gaydar has been set off a few times but so far, no other male has come out. I am the very vocal exception.

A couple of close female relatives said they experimented, but that's it. I can't even find any obviously questionable guys, for crying out loud! They all seem so happily straight, it's disgusting! All those summer's skinny dipping and shirtless basketball games and beer guzzling TV-in-the-garage-football games, you'd think all that testosterone would get to even the straightest arrow!

Nope. Just plain 'ol me - driven stark raving mad, surrounded by un-kissing cousins.... :angry:

Edited by Tipdin
My family is enormous; tons of uncles with tons of sons with tons of sons. I have over 100 first cousins alone, more than half of them are male.

wow that is a lot.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..